2PDE 1.0 - ENVIRONNEMENT BUREAU pour Puppy Racy 5.3

starhawk

#16 Post by starhawk »

Thank you for your kind reply (and your clever response to my signature) !

I had not heard of Brittany before; a short look at Wikipedia taught me several things. I will never be an expert for certain, but I do know a little now, which is more than I knew before.

What I meant by the "connecting other programs together" idea was, for example, taking (for example) wbar and firstrun and putting them together with a central configuration system, in one package rather than two or three. It sounds to me like what you have done is more... foundational. You started from shell scripts, not PETs and programs.

I assume that Stardust / DuDE (I believe the later versions are DuDE?) is still under the rest somehow? or is it all independent of that now?

One other question: if I wanted to customize the appearance (say, make it something other than blue) of many items, not just icons, how hard would that be? While the look is attractive, I am one to prefer red over blue in computer screens (not so much in politics, however) -- although, actually, just playing with the color scheme would be a little fun.

One other thing: these programs do not translate cleanly sometimes. How can I improve that? I know that *.mo files are not text-only, as they do not open in Geany. I believe there is a program that can open them somehow, but I don't know its name.

EDIT: sorry, hit Submit too soon (this happens frequently!). What confines 2PDE to working only on Racy Puppy 53? Do other Puppies and Puplets lack something that Racy has or is it really a matter of preference?

Argolance

#17 Post by Argolance »

Hello starhawk,
I assume that Stardust / DuDE (I believe the later versions are DuDE?) is still under the rest somehow? or is it all independent of that now?
Sorry, I don't know exactly... Stardust was created to work with Puppy 4.3 and doesn't seem to be updated since 2010. I tested it a long time ago, but didn't use it because it is in English only: this is one of the reasons why I made 2P Desktop Environment (which is natively in French, partly localized in English, German and Spanish)
One other thing: these programs do not translate cleanly sometimes. How can I improve that? I know that *.mo files are not text-only, as they do not open in Geany. I believe there is a program that can open them somehow, but I don't know its name.
mo files of 2PDE applications can simply be edited with geany... Please, if you ever "polish" any translation files, I would be interesting in getting them! For other programs, Barry Kauler built a great application specially done for this (Utilities|momanager).
One other question: if I wanted to customize the appearance (say, make it something other than blue) of many items, not just icons, how hard would that be? While the look is attractive, I am one to prefer red over blue in computer screens (not so much in politics, however) -- although, actually, just playing with the color scheme would be a little fun.
This dark blue theme (icons and wallpaper) is coming with the original Puppy Racy 5.3. I modified/completed it for it to match with 2PDE and decided to keep it in the current 2PDE package which is still a testing version... Question: did you test the 17 other available themes? (2Psa Sounds and appearance|Appearance tab|Set-save a full theme). More: above, there are 3 new themes to download... You can make your own by modifying or building /root/.jwm/themes files and /usr/share/themes/ gtkrc files. For more informations feel free to join me through PM.
What confines 2PDE to working only on Racy Puppy 53? Do other Puppies and Puplets lack something that Racy has or is it really a matter of preference?
2PDE can be run with Wary too, but as Wary is made for older PC's, I am not sure it is sensible! I could probably test 2PDE with other Puppies, but it would be too much time for me to make adaptations, because 2PDE actually only works with JWM and Rox. So I can indeed guess it is (not :wink: ) a "matter of preference"...

Below, 2PDE English html help file, to be renamed as simple html and copied inside /usr/share/doc/2PDE directory. You will be able to read it while left clicking on any empty part of the desktop|DESKTOP ENVIRONMENT|Fast overview (It will be in the next release of 2PDE).

Have a good day.

Cordialement.
Attachments
2PDE_en.html.tar
(7.73 KiB) Downloaded 861 times
Last edited by Argolance on Mon 08 Oct 2012, 12:52, edited 2 times in total.

starhawk

#18 Post by starhawk »

Apologies. I did not know about the themes.

I will look at the *.mo files in a little bit. I have created a USB install on a spare flash disk and it is making a savefile for me. The drive is only 4gb so it is a little small, but it will work fine for experimenting.

Also, I did not know about the sounds or the fancy visual effects. With those... c'est très magnifique! (I had to look that phrase up on google :oops: I hope I did it right.) "It is truly very magnificent" is the phrase I was looking for.

This is an amazing achievement you have made. Puppy tends to be a little polished and a little 'punky' (unpolished and rebellious). With 2PDE it is extraordinarily polished and professional -- and, while not 'punky', certainly not what I would call 'stuffy' (stiff, brusque, boring, and uncaring) either.

Jasper

#19 Post by Jasper »

Hi Argolance,

Absolutely stunning, amazingly versatile, fascinatingly enjoyable, highly intuitive, exceptionally clever and it works really well with my English version of Slacko 5.3.1.

My regards and thanks

HOWEVER, THIS IS A LARGE AND COMPLEX APP SO (as always if it may matter) DO HAVE A BACKUP OR CLONE JUST IN CASE,,,,,,

starhawk

#20 Post by starhawk »

@Jasper: well put. Your language is better than mine. (There's a reason ;) )

Hmmm... works on Slacko 531? I'll have to try it on a couple other Puppies and Puplets then...

Argolance

#21 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
Thanks for feedback and compliments :oops: :D.

@starhawk,
Apologies. I did not know about the themes.
No, it's my fault. English help file was missing and several applications help files are still missing too... In any case, it is good to know that functions of buttons and widgets are displayed on mouse hovering (popups) and context Menus with many functionalities while right clicking on application tree lists.
Also, I did not know about the sounds or the fancy visual effects.
Yes... Some buttons of 2Psa let user, for example, show or hide all or part of the MENUS (they can be displayed with Alt F1, Alt F2 and Alt F3!) or extra applications (console, pfind, etc...) buttons. You can compose your own theme (JWM, GTK, icons, Wallpaper, window background, MENU and windows buttons and so on...), save this configuration (with an automatic screenshot that will be displayed in the full theme setter saver) then restore it later.
This is an amazing achievement you have made. Puppy tends to be a little polished and a little 'punky' (unpolished and rebellious). With 2PDE it is extraordinarily polished and professional -- and, while not 'punky', certainly not what I would call 'stuffy' (stiff, brusque, boring, and uncaring) either.
A rebellious spirit can be well dressed, just to go unnoticed! (As we are used to say in French: l'habit ne fait pas le moine!) :wink:

@Jasper,
It works really well with my English version of Slacko 5.3.1.
This is a good news! However, there are so many things to survey, I think in particular of /root/.xinitrc which should probably be modified. Please, let me know what's may work wrong.

Thank you to both of you!

Cordialement.

starhawk

#22 Post by starhawk »

Argolance wrote:(As we are used to say in French: l'habit ne fait pas le moine!) :wink:
Aha. Had to use google translate on that :oops: The English equivalent: "you cannot judge a book by its cover". Well said!

I made some screenshots of 2PDE in a USB install of Racy 53 on my netbook (not my main computer anymore, and my glasses-clad eyes are quite thankful!). Would you be interested in me posting them? I seem to recall the theme being called Meridies, it's the gold and silver Art Deco style one with the computer circuit in the background. Very pretty!

The screens are at the netbook's default resolution of 1024x600 (I have a calculator with similar size problems -- it is a "graphing" calculator, very fancy but with a tiny screen). I will mention that Puppy does not seem to have any problems extending dialog boxes off the bottom of the screen, but this is a universal problem -- it occurs in Flash webpages and Windows applications as well. Very frustrating but I do not believe that there is a software fix other than a larger screen.

I would be happy to make many more screenshots if you would like that.

...I will also note that I tried 2PDE on FATSlacko to see what would happen. A lib or symlink or somesuch is missing somewhere, as it freezes with the startup screen, no text or graphics, only the background of this 'splash screen' as we call it here. I will do some investigating later.

Argolance

#23 Post by Argolance »

Hello starhawk,
my glasses-clad eyes are quite thankful!
:)
...I will also note that I tried 2PDE on FATSlacko to see what would happen. A lib or symlink or somesuch is missing somewhere, as it freezes with the startup screen, no text or graphics, only the background of this 'splash screen' as we call it here. I will do some investigating later.
If you ever test it again, it could be interesting to have a copy of the /tmp/xerrs.log file...
Thank you!

Cordialement.

starhawk

#24 Post by starhawk »

I don't know how to view xerrs.log from command line interface (no X) :oops: or can I start Racy 53 with a different window manager from JWM once 2PDE is installed?

As a thought: you might consider announcing 2PDE on other parts of the forum so that many other members can try it -- I really believe that they will like it and enjoy it tremendously.

Argolance

#25 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
I don't know how to view xerrs.log from command line interface (no X) Embarassed or can I start Racy 53 with a different window manager from JWM once 2PDE is installed?
Don't worry, if I ever find time to test 2PDE with other Puppies, I will try to see what's going wrong...
As a thought: you might consider announcing 2PDE on other parts of the forum so that many other members can try it -- I really believe that they will like it and enjoy it tremendously.
I already did it on the German, Spanish and English Forums.

As a thought :wink: : Purists are obsessed by the size of images (icons, wallpapers and so on...): these have to be as rachitic as possible and this became a real religion. I am of those who think the "look" has its importance (Unless it is there only to hide a stuff without interest!) and this has a price that many find sacrilegious. How could they be interested in a package which is as big as the system itself :shock: ? They play Puppy together and forget that other persons may be pleased with: anonymous users who have neither the skills, nor the time, nor the envy to upload/install here and there, personalize their Puppy and visit the forums if something goes wrong. These just want to work, navigate, listen to music and so on, without questioning: I made 2PDE (and will probably make a "ready to use" iso) for them.

I guess I am a little disappointed my fellow countrymen not to give more comments about 2PDE... :(

If I compare Puppy with some wine, I would say it is the best and as such, it deserves better than a plastic cup.

Cordialement.
Last edited by Argolance on Sat 03 Nov 2012, 22:20, edited 2 times in total.

musher0

#26 Post by musher0 »

Allô, argolance.

Petit compte rendu de test sur lupu 5.25 : motte ! Juste un écran bleu...

Je sais, t'as dit que c'était pour Racy 5.33, j'aurais dû m'en douter. Mais bon, des fois que ç'aurait marché... :)

Autre petite question qui me travaille : tes utilitaires sont-ils conçus pour usage avec jwm seulement ? Ou si tel ou tel utilitaire peut être utilisé indépendamment du gestionnaire de fenêtre, par ex. sous pekwm ou icewm ?

Merci d'avance.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

oldyeller

#27 Post by oldyeller »

This is really nice!!!! :D :D :D

I like what I see could very will be the future of Puppy :lol: :lol: :lol: .

At least from my point of view. I have just installed will be for sure going through it all.

Cheers

Argolance

#28 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
@musher0
Merci.
2PDE, comme spécifié dans le sujet du premier post de ce fil, est conçu pour fonctionner avec JWM et Rox, les deux piliers originels de Puppy auxquels je reste attaché, d'une part par fidélité car je les trouve simples et très fonctionnels, et d'autre part parce qu'en faire l'adaptation à d'autres gestionnaires de fenêtres/de fichiers dépasserait mes petites compétences... et le temps dont je dispose!

@oldyeller
Thank you!

Cordialement.

starhawk

#29 Post by starhawk »

Argolance -- 2PDE works fine in Wary Puppy 53 as well. Running on a Thinkpad T42. This machine is a little strange -- its screen is removed from a Thinkpad T41. (The story goes that the T41 had a nice screen but its insides were bad. The T42 had a not-very-good screen and good insides. They were combined to form "the best of both".)

Argolance

#30 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
@starhawk
2PDE works fine in Wary Puppy 53 as well.
Yes, but Wary doesn't seem to be built to make shadows/transparency effect working. Don't know what's could be done to correct this and don't know if it is really sensible?

Cordialement.

Pelo

tooppy_1-0_precise_5.4.3

#31 Post by Pelo »

Argolance n'aime pas mes vidéos ! Il les regarde, donc ce n'est pas si mal.
Attachments
contacts.jpg
ToOpPy, a French Puppy Linux among 340 worldwide ones
(47.41 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 22 Jun 2016, 03:44, edited 2 times in total.

Argolance

#32 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
Un nouveau thème complet supplémentaire pour 2PDE:Matrix
=> Téléchargement

Cordialement.

starhawk

#33 Post by starhawk »

@Pelo: Did you make that video? It is worth noting that exposing one's full IP address to the public will test the security of *any* operating system, usually well past its breaking point.

Puppy is not immune to this!

Argolance

#34 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
This is indeed what I thought... More: I was wondering what this has to do with the subject of this topic!

Cordialement.

Pelo

Themes : gartoon is the best

#35 Post by Pelo »

Themes : gartoon is the best
Attachments
Gartoon.jpg
(50.99 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 22 Jun 2016, 03:49, edited 1 time in total.