Intel Wireless won't show up in Slacko!

KrakenPuppy

Intel Wireless won't show up in Slacko!

#1 Post by KrakenPuppy »

Hello, Puppy users!
I'm new to this forum, so I'm sorry if I've posted it in the wrong place.
I've been trying to get my Intel Wireless chipset to work on Puppy Linux for a while, now. I've searched everywhere on Google, but to no avail.
I can use the Internet Setup Wizard (the original Puppy one, not Barry's SNS or Frisbee, although these don't work either), but my Intel chipset doesn't show up. My internal wired connection shows up and will work, but no sign of my wireless.
I did happen to have an (L)B-Link USB adapter, which I cannot use because it's a Windows driver IN THE .EXE FORMAT, so I can't use it with ndiswrapper.
I looked in the kernel drivers that had been loaded and, strangeloly enough, there is an Intel driver loaded! This is strange!
I've also tried loading a driver from the list, but no driver shows up!

Two obvious solutions stick out at me:
A) Use the (L)B-Link driver by extracting the files from the setup.exe
OR:
B) Give up and use the wired (which, by the way, is located right by my front door and the cable is about 1 metre long.
So, the question I'm asking is:
ANY WAY TO EXTRACT FILES FROM A .EXE ON PUPPY WITH OR WITHOUT USING INTERNET (PREFERABLY WITHOUT)?

Burn_IT

#2 Post by Burn_IT »

Can you post the VID and PID of the Intel wireless.
The VID (Vendor ID will likely be 8086)

Has it been turned off in the BIOS??

That exe will likely be a self extracting zip.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, KrakenPuppy.

Burn_IT's right. We need a bit more info, please..!

There's more than one Intel wireless driver, from what I recall. It'll help immensely to know exactly which chipset you're running, and what your hardware is; CPU, RAM, graphics, etc...

The more you can give us to work with, the more likely we'll be to be able to help. We don't have crystal balls at this end, nor are we very good at mind-reading.....and unfortunately, neither are we there in the room with you,looking over your shoulder..!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW:- What's the exact make & model number of the USB wireless adapter? It'll help us to track down the chipset, and from there to figure out which driver is required. Despite most drivers already existing in the Linux kernel, some of them are known to be a bit wonky.....so various drivers have been re-manufactured in different places around the Forum.

We may be able to point you in the right direction, with a bit of luck. Oh, and are you running Slacko 6.32, 6.30 or 5.7.0? Every little bit of info helps!

Mike. :wink:

KrakenPuppy

#4 Post by KrakenPuppy »

As a response to the posts that I have received, the details of my system are as follows:
Puppy version: Slacko 6.3.0 (I have the possibility of booting from a 32GB USB 2.0 drive or a rather traditional LiveCD
CPU: Intel Celeron(R) CPU 2950M @ 2.00GHz (x86-64-bit CPU), according to

Code: Select all

cat /proc/cpuinfo
RAM: 4GB (that's all I know,

cat /proc/meminfo
displayed a load of gibberish and the memory size 4GB was all I could decipher)
Graphics: Intel Corporation Haswell Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06), according to the command:

lspci | grep VGA
INTERNAL wireless details:
Name: Intel Corporation(R) Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 (rev 73) (this is according to [/code]lspci[/code]. I ran this, like all the other commands, from puppy, so if the command shows it's there and a kernel driver for the wireless is loaded (formerly the iwlwifi driver), then surely it must be selecting the wrong driver?)
EXTERNAL wireless details:
It's a B-Link and that's all I know. I seem to have lost it, so I will either have to find it or the packaging. (I lost the install CD too, but I knew that this might happen, so I backed it up beforehand. Whew!)
Also, this is what it looks like from memory:

[/img]http://ph-live-02.slatic.net/p/2/lb-lin ... 33.jpg[img]
Judging by the listings, the model number is BL-WN151
Note: The install CD DID include Linux drivers, but the changedir to dir and the ./configure proved inconclusive, for there WAS no configure file.
I'm just thinking of using the fully-compatible Ubuntu 16.04 LTS until this issue gets sorted. I'm sorry, guys, but I'm forced to use my phone and tether it to my PC with a long cord. (As if this is a problem! I get an acceptable upload speed of 9.35 megabits/s and download speeds of the same, although my wireless gives me far greater specs and it doesn't conk out all of a sudden because of a very delicate and sensitive USB cable (The USB end is broken-ish)).

Thanks in advance for any help that I recieve! I am a complete newbie to the forum and Linux, but I'm slowly learning, so my knowledge is little in Linux but broad-ish in other hardware-related issues!
PS: I know that the Intel Wireless what-have-you works, for it works on my Windows installation on my dying hard drive AND an old Ubuntu LiveCD with 16.04 LTS on it (It stopped working for some random reason. Probably scratched, because it is scratched; alot) (But my Puppy LiveCD works fine, but you compare that to my Ubuntu CD and the Puppy CD looks like it's destined for the bin, but it still works!)
(PPS:
Puppies are friends,
They play, cuddle and chew,
The best part about it,
Is that you do not need to renew;
Your friendship is infinite,
Like the starry sky on a clear night,
But when a puppy finds an enemy,
It'll do what it needs to do and... bite.
This is why a puppy is loyal,
He will support you until the end,
When he will rest in the best place,
Doggy Heaven to where it'll ascend.
To those who are naughty,
There is always a way,
To make them see their wrongs,
And embrace the light of day...

This is why a puppy is loyal,
For it supports it's master,
Until some natural (or not) disaster,
Claims one of their lives.

That is a poem that I made in less than 10 minutes.
Enjoy![/img]

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, KrakenPuppy.

Well, I don't know about the internal Intel wifi. For your LB-Link BL-WN151, I've tracked down this page (which does list your model):-

http://cukii.com/drivers-download

That, though, is only the start. You have everything needed there.....but the driver then needs to be compiled for your kernel. And that's where I have to bow out, and hand the baton on to somebody else.....because I don't know the first thing about compiling, I'm afraid.

However.....there might be light on the horizon for your Intel wifi. I need your kernel version. What's the output from

uname -r
please?

KrakenPuppy

#6 Post by KrakenPuppy »

The output from

uname -r
is:

Is this my kernel version? If not, how to find it?
Also, under PupSysInfo, my Intel wireless is showing up under PCI devices and a kernel module is loaded for it (the iwlwifi), but when I look under network devices, there is nothing showing up save my Realtek Ethernet, which I must say works fabulously on Puppy Linux, so I am writing to you via that Ethernet!
The Ethernet has only one downside;
I'm tethered to behind my front door, for that is where my router is.[/code]

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, KrakenPuppy.

Ah.

Yes, 4.1.11 is your kernel version. However, you've anticipated my follow-up questions! I was going to get you to run PupSysInfo, and give me those exact details.

If 'iwlwifi' is already loaded, then I don't understand why Pup's not seeing it. What are you using for connection; Barry's SNS, Jemimah's Frisbee, or Dougal's Network Wizard?

KrakenPuppy

#8 Post by KrakenPuppy »

I should have replied sooner, but I had a little trouble reconnecting to the Internet. Not the Puppy's fault, though; I'd forgot to click auto dhcp in Douglas! But that's another story for another day. The thing I need to say is:
Yes, I use Douglas, for Barry's SNS works, but is too simple, Jemimah's Frisbee I haven't tried, but is best for wireless and Douglas is perfect for my needs.
I also tried posting a reply via my phone, but it says: "Invalid session, Please resubmit the form" and whenever I try hitting the 'Submit' button, it replays the message. But never mind, I'm on the forums and that's the important bit.
Also, thanks for the very quick replies! I'm surprised at the speed that these replies are coming at, for I know that all are probably very busy at times.

To summarise, I use Douglas' Network Wizard.

EDIT: Dougal, Douglas, you get what I mean. :roll:
SECOND EDIT: After searching the specific model of my adapter and adding 'linux driver' on the end, I stumbled upon the manufacturer's webpage where they listed a driver, but it would not work. Strangely enough, when I go to load iwlwifi in the list of modules in Douglas, it says a new module was loaded, but if I go into 'More' then 'Specify' then type 'iwlwifi', it says that the module is already loaded.
This IS strange!
Last edited by KrakenPuppy on Tue 27 Dec 2016, 08:47, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

Puppy usually only likes to see one network device setup and selected to use.
If Wireless is setup and working, that is probably why Ethernet is giving problems.

You need to tell Puppy to stop using the wireless and than tell it to use the Ethernet.

Right click on the network icon in the taskbar.
Select disconnect from network.
Right click on the network icon in the taskbar.
Select setup networking.
Setup a different device to use.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

KrakenPuppy

#10 Post by KrakenPuppy »

I'm afraid you have got a bit confused, bigpup.
I am not trying to use both wireless and ethernet at the same time. My wireless will not work, regardless of what I disconnect or reconnect.
Let me just make this a bit clearer:
Puppy WON'T detect my Intel wireless
Also, the wireless is the one not working, the ethernet works as given.
The drivers provided in Puppy do not work, for I load them and 'No new interface was detected', it states.
I don't know why, for the wired works fine.
It's just that Puppy won't detect my wireless, regardless if I install the manufacturer's driver or not.
Anyway, the steps given, sadly, did not work.
Also, I'm afraid that this subject may go from understandable solutions that are slightly complex to hard to perform complex operations that a master would struggle with.
But I am prepared to try all solutions, no matter how complex or obvious.
I'm getting a little bit desperate.

KrakenPuppy

#11 Post by KrakenPuppy »

Bump, I suppose.

I have just noticed; on the manufacturer's website, they list 4.1 drivers and 4.2 drivers. I suppose this is the kernel version designed for each driver? They are both for the same piece of tech, but both, unfortunately, do not work. I don't know why, but I don't think it would be wise complaining to a tech giant for one measly driver. If no other alternative solution is found, then I suppose that I will have to.
But PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME CALL THEIR TECH SUPPORT!!! :wink: [/b]
EDIT:
I have now decided to use PeasyWiFi for my internet connection, although if that proves to go wrong, then I will revert to Dougal's, since that still works, it's just that PeasyWiFi handles WiFi AND Ethernet.

perdido

#12 Post by perdido »

There are other versions of puppy besides slacko.
Might want to try puppy tahr 6.05 (ubuntu based) on a usb and see what it does.

Also, when running from live CD or USB everyone has assumed you are using a save file/folder.
Just my .02

-----------------------------

bigpup

#13 Post by bigpup »

The latest Slacko seems to have a constant problem with wireless and getting it to work.
The problem seems to be getting the firmware loaded or even having the needed firmware.
Slacko has a zdrv sfs file that is supose to get used when needed.
This file has added firmware in it.
However, the zdrv file does not have all firmware.

You probably need the iwlwifi-7260-.ucode file.
This needs to be in /lib/firmware.

Slacko has a fdrv. sfs file that can be downloaded and added to Slacko. It has more firmware files.

I had to guess a little on this. There are several fdrv files you could use.

Download this:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... ko_PAE.sfs

For the USB drive install of Slacko. Place this fdrv file in the same location as the other Slacko files.
When you boot it should also use the fdrv file.

You could also try opening the fdrv file by clicking on it.
Copy all the iwlwifi-7260- files (There are several) to /lib/firmware.
Reboot.

Also, I assume this is not a laptop computer, that has an off/on switch for wifi, and it is switched off.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

ozsouth

#14 Post by ozsouth »

Open /var/log/messages in a text editor & search for iwlwifi. You should see which firmware is required.
I found I needed iwlwifi-7265D-13 for slacko64, whilst tahr64 needed iwlwifi-3165-10, which I couldn't find, but an ubuntu site said to rename the 7265D-12 driver as 3165-10. It worked after a restart.