How to use Intel 82579V Gigabit NIC? (Solved by Slacko)

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of networking hardware.
jbrush

How to use Intel 82579V Gigabit NIC? (Solved by Slacko)

#1 Post by jbrush »

Hi all, been away a long time. Came around to see what is happening, so I have the latest version of puppy on a CD. Please don't ask me what it is, its on this home page and I am tired of booting it to solve this problem. Today is 9/12/2012 so whatever is on the front page is what I have.

Love puppy, always have. I cannot believe there are two distros, slackware and Ubuntu as this only leads to the confusion puppy has always simplified. Bummer.

Need a linux boot disk, and used Knoppix and ubuntu versions. Both of them automatically found my NIC but I don't like the packages, so I tried my old puppy disk from a few years back. IT still loads on this new machine no problem. Only issue is it cannot load the NIC driver, so I just made a new CD from the latest version here. 5.28??

This version also fails to find my NIC an none of the available drivers will load to allow internet access..

Intel 82579V Gigabit driver. Again, other linux distros load it okay, so things are working fine.

I saw this in another thread here, suggesting the e2000e drivers but they don't wok either

This driver appears in the Puppy list, labeled as a virtual driver. It won't load. It tried the ne2000 versions. Nothing works. I let puppy search all the drivers but none of them load. Tried a handful of them myself, same bad result

Since the idea is "simple" what should I do? There appears to be windows drivers for Linux, but then I have to download, store on disk, mount the drive, choose each and test them'

The goal is a boot-able disk with Puppy, ready to go. That is not working out here :-( My PC is quite new, an Acer 1930, so hardware ought to be compatible, and network support is loaded by other linux distros.

I sure would like a boot-able CD for a puppy desktop. Can someone please tell me how I might get there from here?

Very much obliged for any help or advice, and thanks for your time.

John
(trapped in windows 7, and wanting ou! <g>)

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Open a terminal and type the command "lspci -nn". Identify the [vendor:product] ID codes for your Intel 82579V.

Are they [8086:1503]?

If so, try Slacko 533. It has a newer kernel than Lupu 528 and supports your NIC with the e1000e module.

However, if you want to stay with Lupu, there is an upgrade PET for the e1000e here.

jbrush

#3 Post by jbrush »

rcrsn51 wrote:Open a terminal and type the command "lspci -nn". Identify the [vendor:product] ID codes for your Intel 82579V.

Are they [8086:1503]?

If so, try Slacko 533. It has a newer kernel than Lupu 528 and supports your NIC with the e1000e module.

However, if you want to stay with Lupu, there is an upgrade PET for the e1000e here.
Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

For those who may read this one day for help, I took the easy route and just downloaded the Slacko package as suggested, and burned a CD, and never did check with the command line.

Slacko found the NIC right 'out of the box,' works great and I okay with using it..

Much obliged,

John