GREYHOUND PUPPY GETS A NEW HEART

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
buckaroo50

#1 Post by buckaroo50 »

4-12-2016 Update

Many thanks to Gyro who provided the necessary files and scripts and mods to make this possible...

Greyhound now has save to file or save to folder feature

Download the new ISO or download the update-4-12-16.tar.gz

http://home.myfairpoint.net/buckaroo39/ ... -16.tar.gz

Unpack the update file and copy content to where ever you installed Greyhound overwriting the existing files. Reboot and follow the simple instructions that are on the desktop.

Greyhound Puppy gets new heart.

We upgraded the kernel from 3.2.13 to 3.18.30 with added support for more firmware.

So far it proves just as stable and reliable as Greyhound.007

Greyhound.008 is available for download here:

http://home.myfairpoint.net/buckaroo39/Greyhound/

Screenshots here:

http://home.myfairpoint.net/buckaroo39/ ... reenshots/

PAE Enabled: Yes
X.Org version: 1.11.0
Desktop Panel: xfce4-panel 4.10.0 (Xfce 4.10)
Window Manager: xfwm4 4.10.0
GNU C Library version 2.10.1
Thunar 1.4.0
ROX-Filer 2.10

THE BLACK SCREEN

What to do if you get a BLACK SCREEN after booting the CD.

Reboot the computer and at the first screen press the F2 key and try one of the following.
(depending on your video card)

Type in:

Puppy vga=0x311
or
Puppy nomodeset
or
Puppy i915.modeset=0
or
Puppy radeon.modeset=0
or
Puppy nvidia.modeset=0
or
Puppy *.modeset=0

If you have experienced the Black Screen, then when xorgwizzard runs it is best to choose "vesa"
instead of Probe or Choose... This will at least get you to the desktop and generate an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
that will be saved if you choose to save, if not then the menu.lst will get you to the desktop each time
you boot without having to type in the Puppy modeset each time.

Once you are able to boot the CD and install the Greyhound linux with the Universal Installer,
then you will need to run Grub4Dos.

Once the Grub4Dos bootloader has generated the “menu.lst
Last edited by buckaroo50 on Tue 12 Apr 2016, 15:09, edited 10 times in total.

buckaroo50

#2 Post by buckaroo50 »

Screenshot

buckaroo50

Another heart transplant

#3 Post by buckaroo50 »

We had some issues with the kernel 3.14.65 so we put in 3.18.30 and made it PAE

The 3.14.65 was not returning the correct RAM and with a full install it had the "making filesystem usable...FAIL" error (even though the files system was fine)...

3.18.30 is fine and we have found no issues so far, but then again we are limited on the number of different computes - 4 laptops and 2 desktops... some with single, dual and quad cores, Intel and AMD, So far so good...

If you find an issue let me know it may just be a matter of a module...

gcmartin

#4 Post by gcmartin »

Downloaded and checksum matches the md5.txt for the ISO. Video subsystems are intriguing for home use.

Will so some basic testing over the weekend.

Billtoo

#5 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install to a 32gb flash drive, pc is an eeepc 701sd.

Computer
Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor 900MHz
Memory 504MB (102MB used)
Machine Type Physical machine
Operating System Puppy Linux
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Fri Apr 8 17:47:20 2016
Display
Resolution 800x480 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) 915GM x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Audio Devices
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
Input Devices
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
Logitech USB Optical Mouse
Logitech USB Multimedia Keyboard
Logitech USB Multimedia Keyboard
SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
Asus EeePC extra buttons
Lid Switch
Sleep Button
Power Button
Power Button
PC Speaker
Video Bus
HDA Digital PCBeep
HDA Intel Mic
HDA Intel Headphone
SCSI Disks
ATA SILICONMOTION SM
Kingston DataTraveler 3.0
USB2.0 CardReader SD0
Version
Kernel Linux 3.18.30 (i686)
Version #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Apr 6 18:19:35 EDT 2016
C Library GNU C Library version 2.10.1 (stable)
Distribution Puppy Linux
Current Session
Computer Name puppypc30851
User Name root (root)
Home Directory /root
Desktop Environment XFCE 4

Firefox updated to the latest version.

It's working okay so far.

EDIT: I attached a monitor and set it up with grandr, the best
resolution I could get is 1280x1024 but it's not bad.
Attachments
screenshot2.jpg
(87.63 KiB) Downloaded 1000 times
screenshot.jpg
(62.26 KiB) Downloaded 899 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Sat 09 Apr 2016, 00:21, edited 1 time in total.

starhawk

#6 Post by starhawk »

Ooh, another XFCE Pup, that's cool.

Does it retain the Carolina/Saluki printing environment, though? That gave me no end of headaches while I was running Carolina Vanguard -- in fact, I switched away from that Pup specifically because of my printing troubles...

If you could update that part of it to something modern enough to not be problematic (IIRC, rcrsn51 told me at the time, that the printing stuff in question dated all the way back to Puppeee... ugh), then I'll give it a look-see.

Also -- is Greyhound, by any chance, compatible with eg Ubuntu package repositories? I'm on X-Tahr 1b3 right now, which is of course derived from and therefore compatible with Ubuntu Trusty Tahr (14.04 LTS) packages. I'd love to keep that compatibility, if I can -- it makes installing extra bits and pieces so much easier...

buckaroo50

VIA Processor

#7 Post by buckaroo50 »

Running on a CTL with 9" screen.
Full install on internal flash drive.

Processor: VIA C7-M at 1200MHZ
Family: Centaur i386 class
Vendor: CentaurHauls

Resolution: 1040x600

Memory total: 902528
Menory used: 142656 (142 meg)
Memory free: 759872

Phoenix bios
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(43.98 KiB) Downloaded 859 times

starhawk

#8 Post by starhawk »

@buckaroo50 -- okay, you've got me interested, at least in your hardware. What sort of computer is a "CTL"...? I've not heard of them... and Google only pulls up some sort of educationally-oriented company selling Chromebooks. Surely that's not your machine...?

buckaroo50

#9 Post by buckaroo50 »

starhawk wrote:@buckaroo50 -- okay, you've got me interested, at least in your hardware. What sort of computer is a "CTL"...? I've not heard of them... and Google only pulls up some sort of educationally-oriented company selling Chromebooks. Surely that's not your machine...?
It is a little laptop like you find at Walmart with 10" and 11" screens, this one has a 9" screen and uses a VIA processor... It does not have a fast processor (1200MHZ single core) but linux is an improvement over Windows XP in terms of speed...
The is no conventional HD it has a built in SSD so to speak in that it has 60 gig flash memory for the HD... CTL is the brand name of the company who built it, such as HP or Gateway etc... No built in CD but can use a USB CD/DVD...

Jim
Attachments
IMGP8545.jpg
(133.19 KiB) Downloaded 853 times

buckaroo50

#10 Post by buckaroo50 »

starhawk wrote:Ooh, another XFCE Pup, that's cool.

Does it retain the Carolina/Saluki printing environment, though? That gave me no end of headaches while I was running Carolina Vanguard -- in fact, I switched away from that Pup specifically because of my printing troubles...

If you could update that part of it to something modern enough to not be problematic (IIRC, rcrsn51 told me at the time, that the printing stuff in question dated all the way back to Puppeee... ugh), then I'll give it a look-see.

Also -- is Greyhound, by any chance, compatible with eg Ubuntu package repositories? I'm on X-Tahr 1b3 right now, which is of course derived from and therefore compatible with Ubuntu Trusty Tahr (14.04 LTS) packages. I'd love to keep that compatibility, if I can -- it makes installing extra bits and pieces so much easier...
I have had best luck with debian (depends on the flavor).. Greyhound is built from Wary 5 (pet based)... It uses Carolina repositories so there is quite a bit to choose from... no there are not 7400 packages like with Mint or some other distro's but adequate for most stuff anyone may want... Greyhound is not meant to be cutting edge but as a usable alternative to anyone migrating away from Windows that want things to just work and work correctly... With enough to surf the web, use email, view and edit pictures and videos etc... Not to be overwhelmed with excessive junk.. To have things handy and easily accessed without a great deal of hunting around... the Application menu is slim and most configurations are in the control panel (where they should be) and not on the Menu list... etc etc... Is it cutting edge? no. does it work? yes
I might add that I put in Testdisk where you can recover deleted files and recover damaged or lost partitions and even fix your MBR if it gets messed up (human error or otherwise)...
I also added a flag that hopefully will eliminate all Black Screens at boot time by defaulting the screen to VGA until xorgwizard has a chance to run..

starhawk

#11 Post by starhawk »

I like your little netbook, it's cute. I haven't seen one like that before... although I've seen a few. I have two ASUS examples, and a good friend of mine (he's local) has a Sylvania, one of the ones that came with gOS back when that was around. He runs the local tech shop so he gets to play with all kinds of cool hardware.

A pity about the printing environment being the same (or so I infer from your second post) -- that will cause no end of trouble for many users.

Unless you're basing it off Carolina Vanguard, you'll want to update glibc and possibly a few other things as well -- regular Carolina can't run modern Chrome / Chromium. Not sure about Firefox... I use Chromium almost exclusively... I've used Firefox literally two or three times in the past year, all for "is it the site, or time to update the browser" type bugchecking...

At least for me, without those changes there's not much point even in looking, as it's not got a chance.

I will commend you on one bit, though -- the graphic design looks excellent from the screenshots. Speaking as the artist I am, 'good looks' is a nearly-essential feature that is missing from the vast majority of Pups produced... when I first showed my mother Puppy, her immediate response -- "Oh, god, it looks like Windows from the Nineties!" That was TahrPup 6.0.2. I think you get my point...

buckaroo50

update

#12 Post by buckaroo50 »

4-12-2016 Update

Many thanks to Gyro who provided the necessary files and scripts and mods to make this possible...

Greyhound now has save to file or save to folder feature

Download the new ISO or download the update-4-12-16.tar.gz

The update is here:
http://home.myfairpoint.net/buckaroo39/ ... -16.tar.gz

The new iso is here:
http://home.myfairpoint.net/buckaroo39/ ... ey-008.iso

Unpack the update file and copy content to where ever you installed Greyhound overwriting the existing files. Reboot and follow the simple instructions that are on the desktop.

The new ISO already has the update so there is no need to download both.

Brown Mouse

#13 Post by Brown Mouse »

Thanks for Greyhound.First impressions of it look interesting.

All seemed to boot up and load ok except I'm having issues with switching the firewall on(asterisk through the firewall tray icon).That being the first thing I do for any distro normally.
Seems whichever choice I make I get the same sequence and the 'Default installation without questions' takes me into a loop?

buckaroo50

#14 Post by buckaroo50 »

Brown Mouse wrote:Thanks for Greyhound.First impressions of it look interesting.

All seemed to boot up and load ok except I'm having issues with switching the firewall on(asterisk through the firewall tray icon).That being the first thing I do for any distro normally.
Seems whichever choice I make I get the same sequence and the 'Default installation without questions' takes me into a loop?
Greyhound should have run a script that turned on the firewall when you booted for the first time.

So what you are say is that if you put your mouse over the firewall icon on the panel it indicates that it is off...

And clicking on the icon doesn't bring up a dialog for turning it on with the automatic, default or custom choices...

Brown Mouse

#15 Post by Brown Mouse »

buckaroo50 wrote:
Brown Mouse wrote:Thanks for Greyhound.First impressions of it look interesting.

Greyhound should have run a script that turned on the firewall when you booted for the first time.

So what you are say is that if you put your mouse over the firewall icon on the panel it indicates that it is off...

And clicking on the icon doesn't bring up a dialog for turning it on with the automatic, default or custom choices...
Yes,if I put my mouse over the firewall icon on the panel it indicates that it is off.

No,clicking on the icon does bring up a dialogue with three choices but each does the same when I click on any of them.

buckaroo50

#16 Post by buckaroo50 »

Brown Mouse wrote:
buckaroo50 wrote:

Yes,if I put my mouse over the firewall icon on the panel it indicates that it is off.

No,clicking on the icon does bring up a dialogue with three choices but each does the same when I click on any of them.
You may have gotten a bad download (did you check the md5sum)... after download... or a bad cd burn...

I checked it out and I can't find a fault...

In the package manager you can download linux_firewall-2.0rc9-carolina.pet

(just do a search for firewall in the package manager)

Download it and install it and if that cures the problem then you know that you got a bad download or bad cd burn..

Here is the checksum number:

2cc1bf04d44ff239ea11539b3afbb124

If your download iso does not match then you got a bad download...

Brown Mouse

#17 Post by Brown Mouse »

buckaroo50 wrote:
Brown Mouse wrote:
buckaroo50 wrote: Greyhound should have run a script that turned on the firewall when you booted for the first time.

You may have gotten a bad download (did you check the md5sum)... after download... or a bad cd burn...

I checked it out and I can't find a fault...

In the package manager you can download linux_firewall-2.0rc9-carolina.pet

(just do a search for firewall in the package manager)

Download it and install it and if that cures the problem then you know that you got a bad download or bad cd burn..

Here is the checksum number:

2cc1bf04d44ff239ea11539b3afbb124

If your download iso does not match then you got a bad download...
Maybe a bad download yes,as I didn't check the md5sum but I didn't burn a disc.
However,it still doesn't work after adding the firewall from the PPM.
I may try a fresh install sometime.

Pelo

A remasterization, how i like them

#18 Post by Pelo »

Greyhound is Really a good puppy remasterization, how i like them. Well designed,
Kernel update 85MB downloading (not really need, perhaps when i'll buy a new computer, when they one will be broken.)
Attachments
italien.jpg
XFCE4-mixer for Roma, and Italy
(46.39 KiB) Downloaded 84 times