Problem with GMA500 Intel Graphic in Slacko Puppy 5.3.3

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
danvisk

Problem with GMA500 Intel Graphic in Slacko Puppy 5.3.3

#1 Post by danvisk »

Well, First,I'm not expert in linux, but I can say I learn quickly if the information is well displayed for me. The subject description says it all. I read some topics "Explanation - Video Setup/Operation in all Puppy distros" but it didn't seem to help. I'm investing some time to make this work, but I'm going to give up soon enough and just use Ubuntu, which I think will work quickly. I ran the " glxgears" command and the video doesn't seem smooth. Results:

176 frames in 5.0 seconds = 35 FPS
133 frames in 5.1 seconds = 26 FPS

I installed the driver which was in the "lickpet" and the ones available were: "mesa-7.10.2-s.pet", mesa_DEV-7.10.2-s.pet" and "mesa_DOC-7.10.2-s.pet". My computer is an acer aspire ao751h. I also ran the command "report-video" and that's the result:

Chip description: 2.0 VGA compatible controller
Intel Corporation System COntroller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) Graphics Controller (rev 07)
oem: Intel(r) Poulsbo Graphis Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS

I guess that's enough info. Just trying to give the most (but which seem useful) information I can. I'm curious about how this can be solved.

Thanks!

akash_rawal

#2 Post by akash_rawal »

Maybe this can be an explanation of what's going wrong:
Wikipedia wrote: GMA 500 on Linux

GMA 500 support on Linux is not optimal. The driver is developed by Tungsten Graphics, not by Intel, and the graphic core is not an Intel one, but is licensed from PowerVR. This has led to an uncertain mix of open and closed source 3d accelerated drivers, instability and lack of support.

Ubuntu supports GMA500 (Poulsbo) through the ubuntu-mobile and gma500 repositories on Launchpad. Support is present for 8.04, 8.10, 9.04, 9.10 and in an experimental way for 10.04 and 10.10, but the installation procedure is not as simple as other drivers and can lead to many bugs.[51]

Joli OS, a Linux based OS optimized for netbooks, has a driver for the GMA500 built in.

PixieLive, a GNU/Linux live distribution optimized for GMA500 netbooks, it can boot from USB Pendrive, SD Card or HardDisk.
Full article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#GMA_500_on_Linux

I tried searching pixielive's website, till now haven't found what they have done.