frugal installation

Booting, installing, newbie
shoutcrown

frugal installation

#1 Post by shoutcrown »

hello!

Always I have been doing a full installation (very easy), but the official recommendation is to do a frugal installation (security)

so I did a frugal installation of Slacko Puppy Linux (automatic procedure), then I installed GRUB4DOS. now the grub can show 2 options: "...linux...frugal install..." and "...linux...ram..."

now I have some questions about how to use the frugal installation, for example to get the best security:

- If I want to use internet, Do I have to choose only the option "...ram..."?. If so, the partitions are automatically mounted?. Can I safely mount any partition? or I shouldnt mount any partition when using internet.

- What about if I install packages from internet? when I reboot the pc, Do I have to choose "save session"?

gracias por su atencion!

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

If the normal frugal install will not boot. (usually something wrong with save file)
The ram mode option lets you boot the frugal install and not use the save file.
It will boot like a fresh frugal install. No user settings or installed programs.
It gives you a good recovery option if the save file gets broken.
You boot to a usable Puppy and can try to fix what is wrong.

For security issues look in the forum section Security. A lot of discussion there on ways to run Puppy.
What about if I install packages from internet? when I reboot the pc, Do I have to choose "save session"?
Quick answer no, but the packages will not be there when you next boot up.
Running a frugal install of Slacko using the save file. On shutdown it will automatically update the save file. It does not give option to save or not.
Use this search site to look for ways to make it ask to save on every shutdown.
http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

nooby

#3 Post by nooby »

If it fail to get internet then you can try out the many different ways
to get it going. Simple Network is what I use or Frisbee.
look for them. Connect icon on the desktop can let you chose
some of these.

Some computers lock the Wifi and even the LAN
and if that happens one need to shut down and
start all over with taking out the battery and the power plug
to let the lock get released. But that only happen very seldom
and on Acer Netbooks that have some built in thing that
get triggered and locks. Not sure why so if you don't have
same Acer machine as I have then forget my crazy advice here.

If Slacko fail to get internet then maybe Lucy does make it?
Easy to add another Puppy in frugal on same partition.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

shoutcrown

Frugal installation

#4 Post by shoutcrown »

hi bigpup and nooby!

here there are more details: this laptop only have installed slacko puppy linux 533 (only this version). now grub4dos have many options:

- puppy slacko 533 frugal
- puppy slacko 533 frugal ram mode
- windows
- puppy slacko 5.3.3 (sda6:PBS)
- find Grub2
- grub4dos commandline
- reboot computer
- halt computer

All the entries work good (except "windows" and "puppy slacko 533 (sda6:PBS)"

I already don't use windows, then when I comment it (#) I can't run puppy... Is there a way to delete that entry for windows?

so In fact there are 3 options for puppy:

- what is the third option ("...sda6:PBS...")? I just commented and renamed it

- as you say the entry "puppy...frugal" use the pupsave, then is that option less secure than the entry "puppy...frugal...ram mode..."? or even the entry "puppy...frugal...ram mode..." is not completely secure from malwares... (I thought just doing frugal installation was free from malwares..., that's why I changed from "full installation" to "frugal installation")

Thanks

Karl Godt

#5 Post by Karl Godt »

You need to read the grub4dos forum main-thread :

Grub4DosConfig 1.8.0

The windows entries are written by default . Normally it should be save to comment the whole windows related lines like so :

# title Windows
# map me deadly
# map again
# uuid long-number-here
# chainloader+1

PBS means Partition Boot Sector .

You would need to run /usr/sbin/grubconfig to install something into
that Partition Boot sector of /dev/sda6 and
not to Master Boot Sector of /dev/sda .

Then it should be bootable by
chainloader +1

Have no grub4dos menu.lst handy atm and only a v1.7.1 .

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

All the entries work good (except "windows" and "puppy slacko 533 (sda6:PBS)"
Those entries are put there, by default, when you install Grub4dos.
Windows entry-
boots Windows, if it is installed on computer.
sda6:PBS-
Used if boot files are in partition boot sector (PBS). This is not normally used, when you do a normal install of Grub4dos.
Again, they are in boot menu any time you install Grub4dos. Only work if computer has Windows installed or the boot files are in the partition boot sector (PBS).
If you want to remove these entries, edit the menu.list file.
Menu.lst is usually on first partition of hard drive.
Grub4dos Bootloader config gives option to edit menu.lst at end of install process.
or even the entry "puppy...frugal...ram mode..." is not completely secure from malwares... (I thought just doing frugal installation was free from malwares..., that's why I changed from "full installation" to "frugal installation")
Any time you run Puppy and access the internet, there is a chance of getting malware.
Running with no save file would be safest, because everything is running in memory. When you shutdown, everything gets cleared from memory and is not retained.
Again, look in the Security section of the forum for discussions on security issues.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

shoutcrown

frugal installation

#7 Post by shoutcrown »

greatings!
Karl Godt:
You need to read the grub4dos forum main-thread
yes I have to read
bigpup:

Any time you run Puppy and access the internet, there is a chance of getting malware.
Running with no save file would be safest, because everything is running in memory. When you shutdown, everything gets cleared from memory and is not retained.
Again, look in the Security section of the forum for discussions on security issues.
Yes i was reading, (security is a big problem even for beautiful minds!)

HiDeHo:

Puppy runs as root by default this could leave you vulnerable to being hacked or getting viruses, so does pose some risks.

1. some users setup there puppy os with all settings and accounts setup. then they remaster(make an iso) of this and burn it on cd. they run from cd in ram and don't use a save file or they use a re-writable (rw) cd and have a small save file on the cd/dvd. this is pretty secure. viruses that are designed to run on a hdd cant as there is none.

2. if you run your puppy os on a hdd or flashdrive full or frugalett the hdd or save file has a risk of getting a virrus. (even though linux generally is safe from viruses and hacking both still can happen.
the next posts say something similar... So even frugal installation is not completely safe. But i guess remastering an iso (with necessary packages) burning it and running from CD-DVD is the best option. Isn't?

thanks again

Karl Godt

#8 Post by Karl Godt »

Yes i was reading, (security is a big problem even for beautiful minds!)
Not advertising, but found nothing better :
http://www.nofear.com/