ATI RADEON XPRESS X1100 Open GL Driver Problem

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
paokman

ATI RADEON XPRESS X1100 Open GL Driver Problem

#1 Post by paokman »

I have a Slacko Puppy 5.3.3 save, but the problem appears on ALL puppy flavours that I've tried (4.1.1, 4.2, 5.2.5) and Debian 6.0.5. I note that it isn't a harware issue as it works fine under Windows XP and a friend of mine has the same problems on his own laptop with the same graphics chipset under Linux (but works fine under Windows Vista).

My laptop is ACER TravelMate 5511AWLMi and the graphics chipset is the ATi Radeon Xpress 1100.

My card is recognised as 200M. I install the proper mesa driver. But, whenever I try to run anything that uses OpenGL (ScummVM, ZSNES, GNOMEMplayer when switched the option to gl - it works when the options are x11 and xv, etc.) the system freezes and I have to force a turn-off or in the case of the MPlayer the video is so slow and the screen trembles...
Also, sometimes when I exit the graphical environment and type xwin to return, all my desktop is a mess and trembling and I have to keep exiting and entering x in order to view a normal screen....
I thought that it was a hardware issue, but the same thing happens to my friend's laptop (different ACER model, same graphics card) and both cards work fine under Windows XP and Vista...

Is there a solution? I searched the web and it seems that this specific card seems to be problematic under Linux...