Whippet Puppy - TESTERS NEEDED

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
starhawk

#46 Post by starhawk »

Puplite5 will work fine for you. Use ext3 formatting ;)

Can't speak to Akita, haven't used it much...

LoboGrande

Bizarre happenings in Tuv4x land

#47 Post by LoboGrande »

My mobo is being very cranky. It won't let me boot from a flashdrive. It wouldn't boot anything without disabling the harddrive in the BIOS. It wouldn't boot any Puppy Linux except Wary 5.3. I even tried a fresh off the burner Akita Linux 11. I know the other Puppy Linux discs are good because I tested them on my P4 box. Did a full install to the HDD of Wary with Akita 11 on Flash drive listed on the Grub4Dos. Enabled the HDD in the BIOS. Still won't boot from the HDD. Disabled the HDD in the BIOS again and rebooted from the CD again. It saw the Wary save file on the HDD just fine. It will hook up to my LAN network just fine but won't get to the Internet. It's seems pretty snappy in Wary 5.3, so if I can ever get Puplite or Akita up and running on it, I'm sure it'll be a really reliable full desk top that has a fairly low power draw.

LoboGrande

Fixed the boot problem

#48 Post by LoboGrande »

Evidently there's a BIOS CPU setting that's supposed to be disabled with the P3S Tualatin CPU in order for it to allow boot up with the HDD. Still have to disable the HDD to boot from Live CD but they're all loading now. Both Puppy 4.3.2 and LuPu 5.1.1 load faster than Akita which seems weird to me.

I did a full install of Akita on to the HDD, enabled the HDD in the BIOS and was able to connect to the LAN and the Internet. I tested most of the browsers. Only 3 didn't crash, Chrome, Firefox 13 and IceCat. FireDog 3.6 QuPzilla won't even boot. Chrome won't let me sign into Yahoo. FF13 and IC2 don't fully load Facebook. YouTube runs fairly well in Chrome and it will ran some streaming video from CBS.com no problem as well. I'll see if I can load an newer version of Iron into it. The Iron Browser works much better in LuPu than Chrome did on my P4 boxes, I bet the same will be true here in Akita.

cthisbear

#49 Post by cthisbear »

" Both Puppy 4.3.2 and LuPu 5.1.1 load faster than Akita which
seems weird to me. "

:::::::::;

sc0ttman:

"Also.... I think I might know why Akita boots slow for you -

Akita gets the drive labels at boot, it can be slow on really old PCs...

Exit to prompt (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace) and run:

Code:chmod -x /etc/initd.d/rc.jwm_drives /etc/init.d/rc.pup_event_frontend_d /usr/sbin/create_jwm_drives.sh

Then run X again, should be much faster to load up the desktop fully.

"""""""

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 5&start=30

Chris.