Whippet Puppy - TESTERS NEEDED

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Keef

#16 Post by Keef »

What James C said - /usr/lib/mozilla (nearly 8mb) and /usr/lib/seamonkey (29mb) plus ~/.mozilla (867k) all still there.

Switched to IceWM - got a black desktop until I ran the wallpaper setter (can't actually change it though - same in JWM). Pwidgets works here. All the browsers I tried crashed within seconds under IceWM.

starhawk

#17 Post by starhawk »

I didn't mess with IceWM so that's going to be rather a bit unstable for now.

I'll probably just pull it out, along with the mechanism for switching...

...if I can figure out how! :?

oldyeller

#18 Post by oldyeller »

Whippet lite really the full one

I got on the internet just fine. qtweb crashed, dillo did just fine however.

Could not charge background. Is this built on 4.2?

The light version would not boot

IBM X60

starhawk

#19 Post by starhawk »

It's based on TurboPup which in turn is a modified Puppy 4.2.0...

...starting to think I should work with Puplite instead. It's not nearly as much of a mess to figure out...

Keef

#20 Post by Keef »

Solved the window focus problem by adding:

Code: Select all

<Include>/root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal</Include>
to /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc
Otherwise no changes are written to .jwmrc from .jwmrc-personal

starhawk

#21 Post by starhawk »

I had removed that line! It was causing some theming problems.

That is one messed up pup.

greengeek

Re: Whippet Puppy - TESTERS NEEDED

#22 Post by greengeek »

starhawk wrote:As a note, Whippet carries over one bit of behavior that I don't like --but don't know how to change-- namely, it does not permit you to run in RAM or specify boot options without a bootloader. So DON'T run it on a system where it will try to read an existing savefile and screw everything up! Run it on a clean system.

...if someone can tell me how to fix the "instant startup without prompt" misfeature, I'd love to know!
I seem to recall that TurboPup required the user to press madly and repeatedly on the "p" key right from the very start of the boot process. (Then you have to delete all the "p"s that appear at the boot prompt...). Doesn't cure the problem of course, just a workaround.

starhawk

#23 Post by starhawk »

...that's really special :shock:

IIRC if you press F2 fast enough, it'll get to that screen...

...at which point it will promptly freeze solid and require a reboot.

Tote

#24 Post by Tote »

Manual frugal install.. Whippet (Lite) Full one.

Selected Xorg but gave me a black screen, had to force shutdown/select Vesa, then it worked.
No tray icons, only Menu and Clock.
Can't change wallpaper.
Wireless network config worked okay, connected internet no problem.
Ran Firewall wizard, installed Firewallstate pet, icon appears but shows Firewall inactive.
Gxine/pmusic not working. (Didn't try any others.)
Downloaded Firefox-2.0.0.7 pet from PPM, wouldn't run from Desktop menu but runs from terminal.
Downloaded seamonkey-1.1.11-1 pet from PPM, runs well from Desktop menu, various websites, seems okay.
Dillo worked but crashes/closes when I try to access webpage links.
Shuts down/saves to file okay.

(Celeron M/laptop/250RAM)

Tman

#25 Post by Tman »

starhawk wrote:It's based on TurboPup which in turn is a modified Puppy 4.2.0...

...starting to think I should work with Puplite instead. It's not nearly as much of a mess to figure out...
It would be easier if you remastered Akita or Puplite.
... Or use woof2 to make a custom Wary build.

Learning woof2 takes patience, but it will save you time in the long run, if you are adding or removing a lot of apps.
I am still remastering Solidpup becuase I put a lot of time into it, but if I were to start over, I would use woof2.

To remove icewm, delete these folders: /root/.icewm, /usr/share/icewm
and these files: /usr/bin/icewm*, icesh, icehelp.

You can boot straight to desktop if you install Shinbar's firstrun pet.
But older versions of Xorg need the video driver to be set to "Vesa" and it will only boot straight to desktop at only 800x600 resolution.

starhawk

#26 Post by starhawk »

Next versions will be based on Puplite5 almost for certain. While I could work with a beta of Akita, I'd rather not mess with that. Betas have a bad habit of breaking in unexpected places and ways... not what I'm looking for here!

One thing is for sure. I'm done with TurboPup. That thing is a mess inside, and no matter what I try, it poops the carpet whenever I try to change it or "fix" it... which means that whatever Synth did, he did very carefully and within tolerances that I'm simply too ham-handed to meet.

Thing is that it takes Puplite5 more than 5 minutes to boot on a particularly low-spec laptop (Dell Latitude CPi D300XT). I want to drastically reduce that. What things (and how) can I disable or slim down, safely, in order to accomplish this, WITHOUT going through TurboPup-level craziness?

Specs of the laptop in question...
300MHz Pentium II CPU
128MB RAM
8GB Microdrive (HDD in CF card size) hard drive (or a 6.5GB laptop HDD, haven't decided yet).
NeoMagic graphics (which work best, oddly enough, with Xorg generic driver)
1024x768 screen, 16bit

...as a side note, Xvesa does NOT work on that laptop. It actually crashes spectacularly (lots of multicolor, blinking/changing artifacts instead of an intelligible screen) less than 30sec into the desktop, and the colors are all wrong anyways. So that's one thing I can't strip out.

FWIW, I also thought about plumping up pUPnGO... but by the time I bring it back to GTK2 (IIRC it runs GTK1 now!), add full Xorg capability (it's Xvesa-only right now) and add enough programs (and their dependencies) to make it actually useful (and slightly more user-friendly) it'd be as big as Puplite5 or bigger. So there's no point in that, whatsoever -- particularly since I'm not confident (to say the least) in my ability to accomplish super-technical bits like GTK2 and Xorg...

EDIT: I'll also be trying a tool I discovered, namely Igu's version of Woofy. It's called Moo. It certainly sounds more capable than Woofy... so I'll be giving it a chance.

Tman

#27 Post by Tman »

Wow, moo looks cool! I've never heard of it before, so thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Instead of remastering next time, I think I try it out moo on Solidpup. I'm pretty sure the "update woof skeleton" option is broken now though, since Barry has moved over to woof2, but there's still a lot of nice options availiable. in moo.

You should test Akita for a while first ... seemed pretty stable to me.

starhawk

#28 Post by starhawk »

Tried Akita beta6 once. My review should still be in that thread.

...it was actually slower to boot than Puplite5, which is the other reason I'm hesitant to use it. I suppose I could test the latest beta and Puplite5 on the same machine, see how fast each is... but I'm lazy :P

Tman

#29 Post by Tman »

starhawk wrote:Tried Akita beta6 once. My review should still be in that thread.
Oh ... my bad. Have you tried Classic Pup yet? And does Puplite detect your sound card?

starhawk

#30 Post by starhawk »

ClassicPup2.14X-top9 /and/ -top10 are far slower than Puplite5 on P3 and older. Not the first time I've said it, won't be the last.

sc0ttman

#31 Post by sc0ttman »

Moo won't remaster any Pup that is a pre-woof build, such as Akita, Puplite, TurboPup, 2.14X and others. The major difference between Moo and Woofy is that Woofy is missing some woof specific features, but let's you manually edit the filesystem instead.

Akita is indeed beta, but only cos I don't really have any specific plans for it.
I use it everyday as my main OS, it's about as stable as any other pup.

If you do go with Puplite, please bear in mind it's not perfect..

- JWM themes need checking - all theme stuff is in the file 'jwm-personal', where it could go into an actual JWM theme file instead.

- IceWM won't work out of the box.. Can't remember what needs changing, but if you post the errors, I'm sure I'll remember.

- I always post details changes when I update stuff, so go through the forums threads to learn more... Including the Puppy Arcade 8/9/10 threads... Cos that is what Akita and Puplite are based on...

Also.... I think I might know why Akita boots slow for you - Akita gets the drive labels at boot, it can be slow on really old PCs... Exit to prompt (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace) and run:

chmod -x /etc/initd.d/rc.jwm_drives /etc/init.d/rc.pup_event_frontend_d /usr/sbin/create_jwm_drives.sh
Then run X again, should be much faster to load up the desktop fully.

HTH
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

starhawk

#32 Post by starhawk »

...oh.

I'll be sticking with Woofy, then, and I'll give Akita a try.

don570

#33 Post by don570 »

gxine: error while loading shared libraries: libplds4.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

ldd /usr/bin/gxine
To get gxine to work I installed several extra dependencies that
I was able to get from Lazy Puppy which uses gxine as the media player

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=74544

starhawk

#34 Post by starhawk »

don570, and everyone else, if you could look at my last post... I'm going to develop a new version based on either Puplite5 or Akita... it will be a couple days, but it WILL happen.

...I'm done with TurboPup. That thing's a mess.

don570

#35 Post by don570 »

If you choose Akita the number one thing you should try to
improve is compatibility to the Windows hard drive formatting NTFS

Scottman has avoided addressing this issue, so it has
a limited use :cry: