How do I set up a Windows program to run under Wine?

Using applications, configuring, problems
n0ukf

How do I set up a Windows program to run under Wine?

#1 Post by n0ukf »

I have a guitar chord finder (NutChords) for Windows I like but I haven't found yet how to make it run under Wine on Lucid 528. I have tried just running the .exe but it can't find its config in the same directory, yet it does appear to run somewhat on linux when I doubleclick the .exe.

BTW, if you go looking for NutChords, get the 117 version not the 119, sound doesn't work on 119 even on Windows.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." [i]Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen[/i]

davids45

#2 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

If you are using wine from one of green_dome's pets or sfs, in the FileSystem menu should be listed the Wine Windows File Manager ("Win File").
Click on that to open it then use Win File to find your .exe file and get Win File to try to run the .exe.

Is your .exe program a set-up program or a simple executable, by the way?

Good luck,

David S.

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

I have tried just running the .exe but it can't find its config in the same directory, yet it does appear to run somewhat on linux when I doubleclick the .exe.
Are you trying to run the executable from a folder created by installing the program on windows? Or did you run the installer on Puppy?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

n0ukf

#4 Post by n0ukf »

It's a simple stand-alone program with no Windows installer, just extract to and run from its directory (with its config and sound files), so I just copied the directory to a thumb drive and onto my Asus Eee.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." [i]Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen[/i]

disciple

#5 Post by disciple »

does it produce any error messages if you run it from a console?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

n0ukf

#6 Post by n0ukf »

I haven't done that yet (nor any of the above suggestions) and won't be for another 3-4 hours now.

steve_s

#7 Post by steve_s »

I recommend: in console, cd to the directory that has the exe file in it.

Code: Select all

cd /mnt/sdb1/NutChords
or where ever it is. Then run the exe with wine (assuming you have wine installed and have already from console or otherwise run winecfg so it sets your wine configuration):

wine nutchords.exe
or whatever it is.

See how it runs. Depending on the version of wine and puppy, it may run great. I have a few stand-alone windows programs that I run from flash drive using Saluki and wine and they usually run great.

If it runs acceptably, I recommend setting up a bash script then setting a desktop icon to run it regularly, something that does the same as what you just did in console, but automatically:

#!/bin/bash
cd /mnt/sdb1/NutChords
wine nutchords.exe
Save it in someplace like /usr/local/bin where a bunch of other programs are. Then make it active:

cd /usr/local/bin
chmod u+x nutchords
assuming you saved the file as the name 'nutchords.' If not then chmod it with whatever name you saved it as. Once you've done that, make sure it runs from console

nutchords
and if it all runs great, then set an icon on the desktop that will run 'nutchords' and you can just click on it then go.

Oh, if you are running it from flash drive, this script assumes that your pc/you have mounted the flash drive at /mnt/sdb1 so if it isn't mounted there then a script that runs it from there of course won't work, so adjust accordingly. 8)

steve_s

#8 Post by steve_s »

And I just realized, with that last post, I hit the '1500' posts mark! Shouldn't there be a party or something? 8)

n0ukf

#9 Post by n0ukf »

steve_s wrote:I recommend: in console, cd to the directory that has the exe file in it.

cd /mnt/sdb1/NutChords
or where ever it is. Then run the exe with wine (assuming you have wine installed and have already from console or otherwise run winecfg so it sets your wine configuration):

wine nutchords.exe
or whatever it is.

See how it runs. Depending on the version of wine and puppy, it may run great.
It reports:

sh-4.1# cd /mnt/sda1/root/my-applications/NutChords
sh-4.1# wine NC.EXE
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winemp3.acm": libmpg123.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Though it otherwise appears to be working correcly, both the menus (chord selectors) and the sound. The fonts are a bit small though.
If it runs acceptably, I recommend setting up a bash script then setting a desktop icon to run it regularly, something that does the same as what you just did in console, but automatically:
assuming you saved the file as the name 'nutchords.' If not then chmod it with whatever name you saved it as. Once you've done that, make sure it runs from console
and if it all runs great, then set an icon on the desktop that will run 'nutchords' and you can just click on it then go.
I'm not sure if I got a symlink on the desktop or just a copy of the script in /usr/local/bin but whichever way it's working from the desktop icon.
Oh, if you are running it from flash drive, this script assumes that your pc/you have mounted the flash drive at /mnt/sdb1 so if it isn't mounted there then a script that runs it from there of course won't work, so adjust accordingly. 8)
Is there some way for the script to get the currently mounted drive path?

cd /mnt/[thescript'scurrentdrive]/NutChords

steve_s

#10 Post by steve_s »

Yeah, I don't know if the script can pick what u call the current drive...maybe someone better at bash can give input here..

But if u plug into the same usb port every time oodds are good it may very well be the same mount point every time...

n0ukf

#11 Post by n0ukf »

I don't think it's so much the same port as the order the drives are recognized. The built-in SD card reader normally reads as sdb1 but if I have a thumb drive plugged in at boot, it may read that first as sdb1 and make the SD reader sdc1. That's why I want the script able to read its drive letter. Or, on my old Amiga, I could specify the volume name (System:, Data:, etc.) as a drive designator regardless of what drive letter it's seen as (HD1:, HD2: (Amiga), sdb1, sdc1 (linux)).

n0ukf

#12 Post by n0ukf »

steve_s wrote:I recommend: in console, cd to the directory that has the exe file in it.

cd /mnt/sdb1/NutChords
or where ever it is.
That had worked... until the next time I booted. The path was /mnt/sda1...(whatever) which that first time was mounted but later wasn't automatically mounted at bootup. I did however find the proper path to it and fix the script.