mhWaveEdit records defective file (on Acer eMachine netbook)

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
greengeek

mhWaveEdit records defective file (on Acer eMachine netbook)

#1 Post by greengeek »

I have an odd audio recording fault on my Acer eMachines netbook which is an e350-21G16i aka:"model NAV51" (1.6Ghz N450 single core, 1Gb ram)

If I use mhWaveEdit to record a file on this netbook (either a wav or mp3) it will not playback through the netbook speakers, but WILL playback through the headphones. However, if I play this file on a variety of other different machines it plays without any problems.

Also, if I record a similar file on a Toshiba laptop I can play it back on the netbook correctly, through the speakers or headphones as desired. This doesn't appear to be anything to do with mixer settings (unless there is some hidden setting that allows a recording to de-select the "speaker" track and leave the "headphone" track intact - but surely there is only the one track...?)

I cannot tell what the difference is between these two files. It seems as if the recording on the netbook must be doing something strange to the file, but I don't know what.

This behaviour occurs with Thin Slacko and Saluki, and also seemed to occur with Linux Mint (although I was not familiar with the recording program on Mint) but does not occur with Windows XP (which was the native OS on this netbook)

I have attached the two files in case anyone can see any difference. (just remove the false .gx suffix)
Attachments
LaptopRecord.mp3.gz
This file works perfectly on my eMachines netbook
(151.36 KiB) Downloaded 451 times

Roy

#2 Post by Roy »

greengeek,

I had a similar problem with sound from my Dell Mini-9's headphones, but nothing from the speakers a few years back (probably using Puppy 4.0 "Dingo"). My notes tell me that I solved that issue via the audio controls in Gmixer and Alsamixer (I think it was caused by a modem conflict).

Don't know if my past experience will help you out today, but it may provide a path to troubleshoot further.

Best wishes,
-Roy