Dpup Wheezy. Woof-CE built debian wheezy 7.2 packages used

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
sszindian

Wheezy-3.5.2.1

#91 Post by sszindian »

This Wheezy-3.5.2.1 has lots of potential testors... let's not let it fall by the wayside. Even as it currently is, it's a fantastic Puppy... could easily be the king of puppy's in the very near future with a little more work!!!!

'Merry Christmas To All Dev's, Testers and Users'

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

James C

#92 Post by James C »

I haven't tried this in a while....... was running it on my Athlon XP box with an old Nvidia card and was having some display problems so I gave up on it. Your post reminded me of it so I did a quick frugal install on an old P4 with Intel graphics and zero display problems. Now I can experiment with it.

# report-video
Dpup Wheezy, version 3.5.2.1 on Mon 24 Dec 2012

Chip description:
2.0 VGA compatible controller
Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
oem: Intel(r)865G Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(r)865G Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: intel

X.Org version: 1.12.3
dimensions: 1024x768 pixels (270x203 millimeters)
depth of root window: 16 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz
#
Working well at the moment.

sszindian

#93 Post by sszindian »

Wheezy-3.5.2.1

Abiword & Gnumeric do not function!

Tried reinstalling them from the PPM with no luck. Even tried installing from other Puppy versions, no luck?
Went back and did a pfix=ram from previous version 3.5.2 and they did not work there either?
This Wheezy is one fast Puppy on all the rest of the apps!

>>>---Indian------>

James C

Re: 3.5.2.1

#94 Post by James C »

sszindian wrote:Wheezy-3.5.2.1

Abiword & Gnumeric do not function!

Tried reinstalling them from the PPM with no luck. Even tried installing from other Puppy versions, no luck?
Went back and did a pfix=ram from previous version 3.5.2 and they did not work there either?
This Wheezy is one fast Puppy on all the rest of the apps!

>>>---Indian------>
Read here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 342#649342

sszindian

Abiword-gnumeric

#95 Post by sszindian »

Oh Boy... dumb me for missing that post... 'Thanks James C'

I guess I will have to try the libre office thingy... never used it I might say but if that's it I will have to learn!

Main reason I like abiword is for the printing out of graphics from mtpaint, it does a nice job since mtpaint can't print, I hope libre office can do that, if not I'll have to use gimp I guess?

Anyway, so far this has been a super distro, excellent graphics and as far as I can tell, the fastest puppy I've ever tried... online. offline, downloading, web browsing, you name it. I hope pemasu keeps after this one! although to be truthful, I can't find anything major wrong with it so far?

>>>---Indian------>

rcrsn51

Re: Abiword-gnumeric

#96 Post by rcrsn51 »

sszindian wrote: since mtpaint can't print
Read here and here.

sszindian

Oh Boy!

#97 Post by sszindian »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Read here and here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes and Yes... now I remember!

Maybe I'm getting to old for all this stuff :oops: Find me a nice quiet little distro that does it all and jack-up all this brain teasing. :wink:

>>>---Indian------>

Tote

#98 Post by Tote »

First time trying this distro, I'm really impressed.

Manual frugal install on no-name laptop, M processor, 1.6Ghz, 256RAM... and it flies. Copied lib/firmware for ipw2200 and connected without further problems.

This is the first 'new' build puppy that I've actually been able to run Firefox with, it usually grinds to a halt. Also installed latest version of Seamonkey, no problems.

Hope you continue to develop it, and Happy New Year to you!

James C

#99 Post by James C »

Still working pretty well...... :)
Attachments
wheezy-3.5.2.jpg
(78.33 KiB) Downloaded 679 times

sszindian

Ambiword

#100 Post by sszindian »

James C :

Notice on your desktop you have a 'Ambiword' icon... by chance is that working for you and if so, how did you go about it?

Wheezy has been working really well and the programs that come with it seem very stable. I run wifi and have had zero problems. It still appears to be the fastest of any of the new puppy's so far!

Been trying to get a Google Earth going in it without success.

>>>---Indian------>

charlie6

#101 Post by charlie6 »

@ szindian --> Hugh :wink:

did you get a try on pemasu's combinated abiword+goffice+gnumeric.pet or -.sfs here:
http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_packages-exprimo/

I installed it on a pfix=ram dpup Wheezy-3.5.2 on a ... :oops: 82845G Brookdale featured PIV .. and only gnumeric works fine ..! Abiword: got a GLIB error:
# abiword
GLib (gthread-posix.c): Unexpected error from C library during 'pthread_setspecific': Invalid argument. Aborting.
Aborted
#
(seems like intel drvers later than 2.13.0 areworking nice with intel 82845G video chip :D--> no longer black screen after several restarts of X )

>>--> Hope this helps <--<<
Charlie

sszindian

Wheezy - abiword

#102 Post by sszindian »

Hi charlie6!

You wrote-
------------------------------------------------------------------------
did you get a try on pemasu's combinated abiword+goffice+gnumeric.pet or -.sfs here:
http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_packages-exprimo/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes quiet awhile back, tried that, same problem you encountered. I might add, I've tried just about every abiword (both .pet's & sfs) there is without success but thanks for the mention.

I would have to say charlie6 that this Wheezy Puppy probably has more potential than any other Puppy currently available, maybe pemasu is waiting for the right kernel or the final development of wheezy itself before he puts any more of his magic into a next-build... he certainly done it right so far... we'll just have to wait and see?

>>>---Indian------>

charlie6

#103 Post by charlie6 »

Hi sszindian,
# abiword
GLib (gthread-posix.c): Unexpected error from C library...
#
googling about that message error returned comments about a possible bug in glib that could have been fixed with earlier glib versions ( might be version 2.35.4).
I did a fast test downloading ubuntu's something like «libglib2.0-0-2.35.4.deb» --> so abiword was requesting a new libffi version and aftrwds a new libc6 version (those are listed in the needed dependencies for «libglib2.0-0-2.35.4.deb»);

At this point, I know from earlier experience that «touching» to libc6 matters is very risky --> so do not repeat this unless you are running only on pfix=ram session ..

So - let us go ! - once the recommended libc6 has been installed, things went worse: no longer possibilities to install new debs (nor pets) just by clicking on it; only manual install doing

Code: Select all

#undeb archive.deb
As a conclusion:
1. i lost control of my PC and had to do a manual swith off ... :( .
2. last edited: as pemasu wrote it: abiword might need to be compiled againt this wheezy3.5.2...
3. this matter is now above my (tiny) knowledges --> i give up at this point.

cheers, charlie

charlie6

#104 Post by charlie6 »

(above post continued)
.../...
and
4. just a suggestion: maybe you already tried pemasu's uPup-Precise-3.7.2 ... it has already built-in abiword-2.8.6 + xorg 1.11.x + intel_drv.so > 2.17.0 + OpenGL (as for dPup-Wheezy) + a lot of apps in the PPM repo

best regards
charlie

sszindian

Wheezy

#105 Post by sszindian »

charlie6:

Yes... I've been testing Upup-Precise since its beginning! It for sure is a nice Puppy but... pemasu's Exprimo's and Wheezy (especially Wheezy) are faster, show graphics and pictures better, and in my opinion are just better all around, at least so far. Sometimes in the course of a day I'll compare certain functions in Puppy on a half/dozen Puppy builds and other non-puppy distro's, just something I like to do! Surprisingly, not all new distro-builds, upgrades or even certain programs are better than the previous version and some distro's are better than others... again in certain areas... and... that is what keeps Linux interesting and on-going.

Appreciate you keeping up with Puppy in general and for your concerns!

'Thanks'

>>>---Indian------>

charlie6

#106 Post by charlie6 »

Hi again sszindian,
i have to confess i have tried a 5.th item ... :oops: ...i.e. to install abiword from the debian-wheezy repo ...and t could get a working abiword-2.9.2 ...with a returned warning comment about GLIB when started from console. This needed to install gtk3... :shock: See list of installed packages hereunder.

abiword_2.9.2+svn20120603-8_i386.deb: 1864 K
abiword-common_2.9.2+svn20120603-8_all.deb: 2239 K
hicolor-icon-theme_0.12-1_all.deb: 12 K
libabiword-2.9_2.9.2+svn20120603-8_i386.deb: 2686 K
libcairo-gobject2_1.12.2-2_i386.deb: 428 K
libglib2.0-0_2.33.12+really2.32.4-3_i386.deb: 1788 K
libgtk-3-0_3.4.2-5_i386.deb: 1753 K
libgtk-3-common_3.4.2-5_all.deb: 2591 K
libraptor2-0_2.0.8-2_i386.deb: 199 K
librasqal3_0.9.29-1_i386.deb: 241 K
librdf0_1.0.15-1+b1_i386.deb: 128 K
libwmf0.2-7_0.2.8.4-10.2_i386.deb: 189 K
libyajl2_2.0.4-2_i386.deb: 25 K

Total: 14 M (13 files) <--- might be ca. 40MB once uncompressed ... :(

Maybe you might try an easier and safer way, and install it from the PPM as shown hereunder - this will also indicate you to install the needed dependencies - ... and add manualy the eventual missing dependencies that could still arise.

trick: use to start abiword from console

#abiword
as also to check dependencies using:

#ldd /usr/bin/abiword
if you also might want gnumeric, there is a place in pemasu's repo where it may be downloaded alone, without abiword, but it may need goffice ... this last file might introduce some incompatibilities with the abiwords dependencies --> to be tested .. :?

Now once installed, you maybe anyway would appreciate this post: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77122

hope this helps
charlie
Attachments
abiword_via_PPM.jpg
(16.24 KiB) Downloaded 726 times

sszindian

Abiword

#107 Post by sszindian »

'Thanks charlie6!'

I will try what you did from the PPM as soon as I get back to the Wheezy build again, into Exprimo-3.6.2 at present (in fact 3.6.2 is my 'major-use-program', it's very stable and works beautiful for all my daily needs.)

Keep up the good work on Wheezy!!!! If you ever get a Google-Earth going in it let me know?

>>>---Indian------>

charlie6

abiword-2.8.6 on dPup-Wheezy >>--> ;-)

#108 Post by charlie6 »

@ >>--> sszindian ... :D
and ...
..6. just tought something still easier (as k3.5.2 is earlier than 3.7.2; and both puppies have glib-2.0 version 2.32.3 --> let's assume abiword from Precise-3.7.2 could run on 3.5.2...!) something maybe ...crazy...but i tried it ... and seems working; it only needs one more lib=libwmf0.2-7_0.2.8.4-10.2_i386.deb :
LAST EDITED: this assumption does not work (see post below)
7. you would also appreciate some abiword improvment given here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=457426:
i have downloaded musher's pet (thanks musher !) and included all its abiword relevant stuffs to the pemasu's abiword pet above...! it reads docx files etc...

Hope this helps
Charlie
Last edited by charlie6 on Sun 03 Feb 2013, 06:33, edited 1 time in total.

sszindian

Abiword

#109 Post by sszindian »

Wow charlie6...

You have certainly been a busy-beaver on the abiword thingy!!!

Is there any chance you could upload that- abiword-2.8.6-gnumeric-1.10.17-goffice-0.8.17-wheezy.pet you created here in the Wheezy- forum, I'm sure there are others that would really appreciate that (including myself) and not have to go through all that hard work you already accomplished :wink: I'm sure it will get a good test here.

>>>---Indian------>

charlie6

#110 Post by charlie6 »

Hi sszindian,
LAST EDITED: please disregard this post; as this pet does not work, there is no use to keep the download link active, so i removed it
here it is ( follow the >>---> ) :wink:
1. looking deeper in Precise-3.7.2's iso, abiword is reported as woof-package abiword-2.8.6_w52 <--- the same as in wary52...?
so if only abiword-2.8.6 is needed, download it from ibiblio/wary5, and add the libwmf (see in above post) + NLS.pet if needed.
2. the pet to be downloaded at link below is called "strip" as it does not have the wv** scripts contained in dpup-exprimo's pet. You might add them easily just by extracting/copying/making the pet.
3. abiword and gnumeric menu entry are in Document ...i maybe missed something when making the pet. Maybe could somebody else rearrange that the right way.
4. given without warranty ...no after-sales-dept here ... :wink:
5.locales: this pet has already en_GB and fr_FR locales; for others, just download the NLS pet from dpup-exprimo repo.
>>-->link removed <--<<

enjoy
charlie
Last edited by charlie6 on Sun 03 Feb 2013, 06:46, edited 2 times in total.