Dpup Wheezy. Woof-CE built debian wheezy 7.2 packages used

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Pelo

the topic is alive, not 'discontinued'

#766 Post by Pelo »

page 51, happy to see that the topic is alive, not 'discontinued' as newer Wheezy ones.
Wheezy has a future ! waiting for Jessie. Please ring our bell when released (not for test, because all testers have left). Often the captain leaves the Wheezy boat before the passengers.
Users, please burn RW-CDs, Ubuntu packages are now debian ones.. Huge ! Puppy-makers have no time to compile pets. So use old Dpup squeeze or Dpup 487, a lot of pets, prepaired especially to get your life easier are provided by Dejan. Don't worry if they are not up to date, they will run your computer without fullfilling your 512MB RAM. My Golden CD is squeeze-5.X.3.4.12-SCSI.iso: 138 M
Of course, when the final jessie will be ready, that could be reconsidered. No doubt it will change our life :)

European versions : (Artistic touch)

Pupjibaro Wheezy is the latest version, nice version (Don't be afraid by Pupjibaro, it's a Precise version, with perfect english available)
Discontinued english forum, because Josejp2424 is fully studying a Jessie version besides his shiba inu.
Customers, send orders right now, You will be served when Jessie released. Full service will be assumed.
:
Dpup 487 ; see topic here. Captain Dejan still provides anwsers to questions. My laptops : acer aspire born 2004 is happy with this Dpup, very nice too, and the difference is not such big with newest versions, just update your browser, and a newbie will not see a difference with a wheezy version. My Medion 64 bits, born 2012, jealous, cannot run this version. So i remasterized it with kernel 3.0.25.
Attachments
montenegro.jpg
Pupjibaro wheezy speaks a perfect english, for Dejan (montenegro). European use english, but euro as currency
(66.58 KiB) Downloaded 1162 times
Alsaplayer.jpg
Sure the PPM of 487 is not Wheezy ones, but its pets are so light... and efficient, in the Puppy philosophy.
(64.09 KiB) Downloaded 1153 times

OscarTalks

#767 Post by OscarTalks »

The original Firefox in Pemasu's Dpup Wheezy is now very old and I'm not sure where it came from.

Most people know that it is fairly easy to take a recent or latest official build and use that, but I find that these are VERY slow and heavy. This is especially noticeable on older hardware. (Recent official builds of SeaMonkey are also very heavy and slow).

I managed to compile the latest Firefox from the source code. It is the ESR version and the official branding is disabled so it can be distributed freely without permission (I believe ?). This means that it shows as "Nightly" not "Firefox", but it is really Firefox so you can start it with that command or leave the menu entry as Firefox.

So I have named it as firefoxESR-nightly-45.0.1-i686-wheezy

This Firefox Nightly is compiled with various options to try to make it lighter and faster and it seems to have worked quite well. Things like UPDATER and crash reporter and parental controls and D-Bus are disabled.

For a long time I was unable to compile Firefox or SeaMonkey in Wheezy. I had to do some digging and make a few tweaks including manual editing of a header file in /usr/include/linux

It is EXPERIMENTAL of course.

EDIT
There was a problem with right-click options not working properly on that version so I have removed it. It seems even the Debian devs don't compile later than 38.7.1 ESR in Wheezy so I have gone back to that version. Will be testing that one for a while.
https://yadi.sk/d/S7ktsYZPqg2Lc
Attachments
nightly-wheezy.jpg
Firefox Nightly 45.0.1 ESR compiled from source in Wheezy with options to make it run lighter and sweeter
(40.17 KiB) Downloaded 1040 times
Last edited by OscarTalks on Sat 02 Apr 2016, 13:41, edited 3 times in total.
Oscar in England

musher0

#768 Post by musher0 »

Hello OscarTalks.

I am not seeing a URL to download this little marvel of yours from!
Do I need new glasses?!

BTW, it's great that you could compile it like that.

TIA.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

OscarTalks

#769 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello musher0,

I have added a download link for it as a tarball. It may be possible to improve the build but it does take a while to compile so it is not easy to experiment with all the possible switches.
Oscar in England

musher0

#770 Post by musher0 »

Many thanks, OscarTalks.

I wouldn't know, I've never compiled a Firefox, but I believe you!

I downloaded and installed your version of FF. Then, I did a test with a stopwatch
app. Your compilation of Firefox clocks in at 15.7 seconds from start of command
to display of a page, whereas seamonkey-2.26 takes 39 seconds to do the same.

I do not have an "ex-factory" FF installed on this PupJibaro-Jessie-beta, so I cannot
do a proper comparison. Maybe another user could confirm. Still, I find the difference
in the load times quite Impressive.

Very good work, I'd say!.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

OscarTalks

#771 Post by OscarTalks »

I found that the Firefox browser had a problem with right-click behaviour. I guess it may need a patch or something. I have rolled back to an earlier ESR version which I am testing for now. I might try the non-ESR version or see how things go when they release the next one.

I compiled the latest gecko-mediaplayer 1.0.9 in Wheezy
This is a collection of 5 browser plugins to allow playing media directly in the browser.
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks

Also, maybe not high priority, but I compiled the latest release of gtkhash. Version number is 0.7.0
Attachments
gtkhash.jpg
Version 0.7.0 of gtkhash compiled in Wheezy
(83.12 KiB) Downloaded 851 times
Oscar in England

OscarTalks

#772 Post by OscarTalks »

Netsurf web browser 3.6 (Dev)
http://netsurf-browser.org
Small, light and fast with its own version of javascript.
Everything downloaded as latest source from git and compiled in Wheezy.
(Will run in some other Puppies too).
EXPERIMENTAL build uploaded in case anyone wants to take a look.
Attachments
netsurf-wheezy.jpg
Netsurf browser compiled from source - testing only
(63.36 KiB) Downloaded 844 times
Oscar in England

Pelo

#773 Post by Pelo »

"I compiled the latest gecko-mediaplayer 1.0.9 in Wheezy " Merci Oscartalks.
Never that was clear in my mind.
B being the browser, does that means
B uses the media player of puppy
Or Puppy uses B as media player. Id est B can play my videos and music without Gnome mplayer or VLC installed ?

OscarTalks

#774 Post by OscarTalks »

@ Pelo
Not sure I understand the question, but gecko-mediaplayer is a browser plugin for playing media directly in the browser. I believe it depends on gnome-mplayer which is a front-end for mplayer so my understanding is that both of those need to be installed. In most Puppies they already are but if not you can easily install them from my repo or elsewhere.

@ Everyone
FIXED INKSCAPE LITE
I have compiled the patched version of inkscape lite in Wheezy.
This looks much nicer now with both horizontal and vertical rulers showing and working properly.
See here:-
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 781#899781

Uploaded to:-
In fact this package is in lots of Puppies in unpatched form and I reckon this Wheezy version should work in Precise, Slacko, Tahr etc.
Oscar in England

charlie6

#775 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Oscartalks :D
OscarTalks wrote:@ Everyone
FIXED INKSCAPE LITE
I have compiled the patched version of inkscape lite in Wheezy.
This looks much nicer now with both horizontal and vertical rulers showing and working properly.
Much much appreciated !

Runs OK on wheezy 3.5.2.5.
Cheers, Charlie

peebee

#776 Post by peebee »

OscarTalks wrote:@ Everyone
FIXED INKSCAPE LITE
In fact this package is in lots of Puppies in unpatched form and I reckon this Wheezy version should work in Precise, Slacko, Tahr etc.
Hi OT

I've got a bit lost on which patches are needed....

Can you confirm that the patches needed to be applied to:
inkscapelite-0.36.3_patched-glib.tar.xz 2014-Oct-14 08:11:48 1.2M application/octet-stream

are:
02-inkscapelite-fix-ruler.patch and
04-inkscapelite-fix-vruler.patch

My reason - I'd like to do a new pet-build for LxPupSc as your pet doesn't work there due to libpng differences -
inkscapelite: /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0: version `PNG12_0' not found (required by inkscapelite)
Many Thanks
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

OscarTalks

#777 Post by OscarTalks »

Hi peebee,

In Wheezy and also when I tried it in Precise I only needed to apply those 2 ruler patches.

When I tested the same thing in Slacko 5.7 there was an error and I found I also had to apply the glib.h patch to fix it so you might find you need that one as well.

I did not apply the one that is named *.patch.disabled but instead I used the sed command line from the .conf file, but you have to do that between ./configure and make because it is editing a Makefile which is generated by configure.
Oscar in England

Smithy

#778 Post by Smithy »

Here is Simple Screen Recorder for 3.5.2. Maybe other puppies too.
Seems to work very well, but you must select your correct soundcard in the dialogue (or untick if you don't want sound recorded).
http://www.smokey01.com/Smithy/
Attachments
Screen Recorder.jpg
(98.41 KiB) Downloaded 313 times

Pelo

If SSR would work with Dpup Wheezy

#779 Post by Pelo »

If SSR would work with Dpup Wheezy, i could record my screenshot on my old laptop. If RAM is enough.. 512MB is not a lot. And videos get big very fast. I will try..

learnhow2code

Re: If SSR would work with Dpup Wheezy

#780 Post by learnhow2code »

Pelo wrote:If SSR would work with Dpup Wheezy, i could record my screenshot on my old laptop. If RAM is enough.. 512MB is not a lot.
any machine that has so little ram (you can increase with swap) probably has a slow processor too-- with the right amount of lightweight software, video capture of the desktop may be reasonable. low resources are often the most painful when recording or processing video, and 512 is very modest these days! i have twice that on this 7-year-old subnote im typing on! (it runs software heavier than dpup.)

Pelo

SSR can be used by DPUP. Nice work. No Qt libs to add..

#781 Post by Pelo »

YES, your package Simple Screen recorder works first try.. on my laptop Medion p7624 . SSR can be used by DPUP. Nice work. No Qt libs to add..
Ready for use... :)
SSR is one of newer apps available.
Don't forget to activate capture in retrovol.
Setting are High Quality, changed to MP4 or AVI and 15 frames per second
:? I will retunn to DPUP Squeeze, Lot a nice applis were provided by Pemasu. I will try SSR with Squeeze too.

Smithy

#782 Post by Smithy »

This one Pelo?
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Medion-Ako ... 405.0.html

I wonder if NVIDIA GT630M drivers would make a difference to the frame rate.

Could be a good time to remix Dpup with all video drivers built in, Inkscape lite fixes, firewall state and all the other great work from OscarTalks and others.

Still a valid Debian 7 os imo. See, they love their PETS over there.. :wink:
Attachments
image-1.png
(74.18 KiB) Downloaded 339 times

Pelo

Dolby system available in Puppy

#783 Post by Pelo »

Yes, my computer is this one. About nvidia, nvidia optimus is not supported by Linux. What i would prefer is Dolby system available in Puppy :!: A Dream, only a dream.

Pelo

The idea was to include apps just created in the Puppy Menu

#784 Post by Pelo »

it's nice to get new apps available for our Puppy Linux. That is what i wanted to explain in french forum francophone here , Pemasu Spirit
The idea was to include apps just created in the Puppy Menu, to make known our devs?. That was fine.
To get SSR available for Dpup is well in this spirit. Bravo :!: And it works very well.
Always in the Pemasu spirit i tried Wex, new app suggested by mcewanw. Try it on your puppies (version portable should work)

bruno

AMD driver

#785 Post by bruno »

How to get the AMD driver in Wheezy for the HD5450 graphics card?
I think it must be the Catalist 15.9 , if that is compatible with Wheezy