Dpup Wheezy. Woof-CE built debian wheezy 7.2 packages used

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Satori

#601 Post by Satori »

Hiyas...

An updated 3.5.2.11, from a working 3.5.2.8, shows no wifi device available under the
network setup.. shows only the ethernet port.

Manually loading the iwl4965 module (under 'More') loads the module but reports back
that no new interfaces were found. So it loads the module but never inits the device.

Hardware shows the intel wifi is out there but network setup fails to find or use it.

On a fresh savefile, if I unload the wifi module it's currently using, setup is unable to reload
the wifi device and remains MIA, even with a manual reload of the module.

pemasu

#602 Post by pemasu »

Satori. I think you should test how things go with fresh 3.5.2.11 install. Without using previous update or transferred savefile. I am interested how fresh 3.5.2.11 works.
Updates and transferred savefiles does not always work.

If fresh 3.5.2.11 works okay. I am happy. You have to remember these builds have been testing and experimental ones so far. I have hoped that 3.5.2.11 would be the first more mature one with Woof-CE.

I dont use Puppy Network Wizard at all. I cant comment problems with it. I use Simple Network Setup. It is the one Barry Kauler has designed. Puppy Network Wizard is included for ndiswrapper usage. Otherwise...I havent used it for years...
Frisbee is not included intentionally. I dont want more confusion of error feedback. If there would be 3 network tools, I couldnt track the problems at all.
I can count to one...

Generic advice for all networking problems:
In console: pdiag
Post the the created tar ball as attachment. It has been useful tool, when there is problem with missing stuff.

Satori

#603 Post by Satori »

On a fresh 3.5.2.11 savefile, using Simple Network:

1) wifi connects using the iwl4965 module
2) text fields for 'bus' and 'description' on the module shows as blank... no info
3) under 'load module', the iwl4965 does not show up, iwl3945 appears tho.

If I unload the iwl4965 module and do a manual reload, the module loads but reports
that no new interfaces were found and wifi disappears from the network devices list.

Using the same flash drive on another Dell D830 that uses a Broadcom wifi device
instead of an Intel 'N' device, the wifi network sets up correctly using module 'wl' and
it's displayed info description shows up. This is using the custom savefile that was
failing on the D830/Intel wifi laptop. The fresh savefile also starts the wifi correcty.

On a Dell C640 (old pentium laptop), 3.5.2.11 fails to start xwindow when it boots.
However, an 'xwin' continues the start up correctly... probably a timing thing. The wifi
network sets up correctly using an Intel 2200BG wifi card.

In either case, the problem is iwl4965 specific to a previous savefile built under 3.5.2.8,
trying to copy iwl4965 driver files from 3.5.2.8 to 3.5.2.11 has no effect.

--------

Final Solution:

Mounted the bad 3.5.2.11 savefile under another running system and deleted all iwl4965
driver files from /lib/firmware and /lib/modules.

Once this savefile was used as a running system, wifi started correctly with no problems
using the files from the Wheezy SFS.
Last edited by Satori on Wed 11 Dec 2013, 00:53, edited 9 times in total.

OscarTalks

#604 Post by OscarTalks »

Hi Pemasu,

3.5.2.11 is looking good, but I notice we have lost the icon from the menu button. Looks like you have been tinkering with the jwm config files including adding of /usr/share/pixmaps/puppy to the icon paths for those .svg icons. I was wondering about upgrading the jwmconfig2 package, but discovered that if I install the 01micko's files I lose some of those icons from the menu because that path is lost. Some of the .desktop files have the full path to those icons so still work, but for example boot manager, IP info and font manager don't. Just an observation really and not a problem if I don't change anything. Easy to put the menu button icon back too of course.
Oscar in England

mavrothal

#605 Post by mavrothal »

OscarTalks wrote:Looks like you have been tinkering with the jwm config files including adding of /usr/share/pixmaps/puppy to the icon paths for those .svg icons. I was wondering about upgrading the jwmconfig2 package
All gtkdialogs in woof and many icons are under heavy development by zigbert (he is making 10-20 changes/additions a day!!!).
Several pets may also need to be updated to match the new puppy look 8)
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

pemasu

#606 Post by pemasu »

OscarTalks.
Thanks. The loss of jwm tray mini-dog icon was not intentional and in fact has nothing to do with updates of .svg stuff.
I am tracking the reason so that woofing behaves next time.

Edit. Got it. It is in fact bug problem with 3builddistro. The conditions when 3builddistro inserts with sed command that mini-dog row to the .jwrc-tray will be not met. I dont know when they have been met. .jwrc-tray needs to have that row because insertion will fail due to conditionals:

Code: Select all

#110912 modify jwm to use menu icon 'start-button.png' if present...
#note, similar code also in /usr/sbin/icon_switcher (desktop icon switcher script).
if [ -f rootfs-complete/root/.jwmrc-tray ];then
 if [ -f rootfs-complete/usr/local/lib/X11/${NEWTHEME}/start-button.png ];then #default theme has menu icon.
  if [ -f rootfs-complete/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/start-button.png ];then #precaution.
   if [ "`grep 'start-button\.png' rootfs-complete/root/.jwmrc-tray`" = "" ];then
    #the default is to use 'mini-dog.xpm' with text "Menu"...
    echo "rootfs-complete/root/.jwmrc-tray modified to use start-button.png menu icon"
    echo "(which is in rootfs-complete/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/)"
    PTN1='s%label="Menu" icon="mini-dog\.xpm"%icon="start-button.png"%'
    sed -i -e "$PTN1" rootfs-complete/root/.jwmrc-tray
   fi
  fi
 fi
fi
if you check Puppy icon themes, there mostly isnt that start-button.png and so...insertion fails.
I will modifiy now my .jwrc-tray file and repackage jwm-wheezy pet.

Thanks OscarTalks.

koulaxizis

#607 Post by koulaxizis »

Seems like Wheezy can't create savefile on ext2 partition... Can someone check and confirm?
[b]Christos Koulaxizis[/b]
[i]Woof woof from Greece![/i]

[color=darkred][url=https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppystuff/][ Puppy Stuff Repository ][/url][/color]

rcrsn51

#608 Post by rcrsn51 »

koulaxizis wrote:Seems like Wheezy can't create savefile on ext2 partition... Can someone check and confirm?
It worked for me.

BTW, the old Legacy GRUB Config is still in the menus, but it's dead.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Wed 11 Dec 2013, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.

koulaxizis

#609 Post by koulaxizis »

rcrsn51 wrote:
koulaxizis wrote:Seems like Wheezy can't create savefile on ext2 partition... Can someone check and confirm?
It worked for me.
I was able to create a savefile on fat32 but not on ext2 partition... :?

[color=darkred][url=https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppystuff/][ Puppy Stuff Repository ][/url][/color]

OscarTalks

#610 Post by OscarTalks »

Wheezy 3.5.2.11
I tested creation of savefile in ext2 (creating an ext2 savefile in an ext2 partition) in a hard drive and also in a USB flash drive.
Both worked OK for me.
What happens when you try to do it?
Oscar in England

koulaxizis

#611 Post by koulaxizis »

OscarTalks wrote:
Wheezy 3.5.2.11
I tested creation of savefile in ext2 (creating an ext2 savefile in an ext2 partition) in a hard drive and also in a USB flash drive.
Both worked OK for me.
What happens when you try to do it?
Take a look here please...

rcrsn51

#612 Post by rcrsn51 »

I would unmount sda1, run Gparted and reformat it.

koulaxizis

#613 Post by koulaxizis »

rcrsn51 wrote:I would unmount sda1, run Gparted and reformat it.
Probably i'll backup my data and i'll do that... :cry:

Terry H

#614 Post by Terry H »

OK, I am now able to access wifi on 3.5.2.11, with my Intel 4965 wifi card.

Thank you very much.

don570

#615 Post by don570 »

I installed newest wheezy on IBM desktop with intel graphics
and everything went well.

I wish that baconrecorder and bulldog finder were updated. :cry:

sszindian

#616 Post by sszindian »

Upgrade 3.5.2.8 to 3.5.2.11

Went very well!

WiFi now 'WORKS' as it should (even survives reboots.) and was very fast setting up... automatically found everything needed to connect except my 'key- numbers' typed those in where it asked for them, BINGO... connect!!!

Linksys AE1000
rt2800usb

It appears finally the wifi with puppy is solved.

>>>---Indian------>
Attachments
desktop-3.5.2.11.png
(161.78 KiB) Downloaded 1584 times
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

Satori

#617 Post by Satori »

Updated all my systems to 3.5.2.11, now that the wifi and Chrome is working again.

Only problem I found is that after waking up from the sleep mode, from closing the laptop's
lid, the hot keys for the sound buttons no longer function.

James C

#618 Post by James C »

Fresh manual frugal test install of 3.5.2.11......everything looking good so far.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Dpup Wheezy, version 3.5.2.11

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev c1)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1440x900
Depth (bits, or planes): 24
Modules requested to be loaded: dbe

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): nouveau
Loaded modules: dbe dri dri2 exa extmod fb fbdevhw glx kbd mouse record shadowfb

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 1440x900 pixels (380x238 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

-Computer-
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Memory : 1033MB (194MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Thu 12 Dec 2013 10:42:25 PM CST
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : VIA8233 - VIA 8235

gcmartin

#619 Post by gcmartin »

Hardinfo seems to have some fields missing in its base screen (Computer) and its first (Summary).

is this because of its age or ???

rcrsn51

#620 Post by rcrsn51 »

This may have been mentioned before. If you run Gparted and add/remove some partitions, the desktop drive icons do not update until you manually restart X.