Dpup Wheezy. Woof-CE built debian wheezy 7.2 packages used

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Smithy

#481 Post by Smithy »

Thanks Pemasu, I will check the smokey eprimo repo.
The openboxplus 1.6 needed a little jiggery pokery with imdblib, think tman sorted it for Slacko, (or he might have done it all from scratch).
I Like how you squeezed FF25 into it!

pemasu

#482 Post by pemasu »

Anikin. The eee.ko module was found here:
/lib/modules/3.5.2-dpup/kernel/drivers/platform/x86/eee.ko

# modinfo eee
filename: /lib/modules/3.5.2-dpup/kernel/drivers/platform/x86/eee.ko
description: Support for eeePC-specific functionality.
author: Andrew Tipton
license: GPL
depends: i2c-core
vermagic: 3.5.2-dpup SMP mod_unload modversions CORE2

and...it should not matter where it is placed when it is found by modprobe. I think.
If you move the location, remember to run in console: depmod
...so that the new location has been noticed. I think that I have placed eee.ko to 2 places depending on what distro I have created. The acpi folder is the other one.

Otherwise...I should you check with command dmesg....if there is something outputted there which would tell what goes wrong.

anikin

#483 Post by anikin »

sorry, I misspoke - platform/x86/ - that's where I found it.
I forgot to depmod it ... will do another round of unsquashing/squashing ... of already remastered wheezy.

anikin

#484 Post by anikin »

Moved it back and forth, depmoded, - no joy ...
and then applied this little, dirty trick: "acpi_enforce_resources=lax" as a kernel parameter. Works fine. I've had this issue before in dpups. Must be a unique Debian thing - no such problem in other puppies. OK, if anyone has issues with fan control, the above will solve it. Not a clean solution, though - a stopgap measure until something better is found.
Attachments
eee.jpeg
(36.5 KiB) Downloaded 859 times

charlie6

#485 Post by charlie6 »

Hi again Pemasu!
could not resist to load 3.5.2.8 ... and thanks for it ! posting from a pristine boot !

3.5.2.8 boots OOTB 8) on my not that so old PIV with 82845G (Brookdale... :lol: ) video chip: no black X desktop screen ...that's really charming!

gnumeric-1.10.17 as also abiword-2.9.2 report when wanting a preview:
# abiword
** (evince:10339): WARNING **: Error launching previewer: Failed to execute child process "evince-previewer" (No such file or directory)
fix: just need to create a symlink /usr/bin/evince-previewer to /usr/bin/evince

FF 25.0.1: seems needing a few more time to start.

cheers, charlie

Satori

#486 Post by Satori »

After testing with updating a 3.5.2.7 existing system to 3.5.2.8, I decided to byte the bullet and update my production
d830 laptop machines.

On my configurations, I use multiple flash drives on my systems... one 16gb drive with two partitions (a 800mb boot,
and the other holds the save file and data/applications files outside the savefile).

The second drive serves to hold cache/temp files. Since they are heavily written to, I expect the drive to fail eventually,
hense it's expendable but my boot/data drive is not.

I've set up the drives to mount durring the boot, using the 'rc.local' file in /etc/rc.d to perform the pre-mounts, but I've found
that Shutdown hangs and never completes.

My previous 'fix' was to edit the 'rc.shutdown' such that it performs dismounts early in the script, but it was written
over during the update.

My real question is that other linux systems use 'rc.local.shutdown' to customize the shutdown sequence, however
Puppy does not use this file... and so, the update stepped on my customized 'rc.shutdown'.

Is the missing 'rc.local.shutdown' a mistake on Puppy's part, or it it particular to other linux systems, such as FatDog64?

Otherwise, I've found no problems with 3.5.2.8 and updating to Debian 7.2 was worth the effort, altho installing
Nvidia 331.20 on a fresh 3.5.2.8 seemed harder than I remembered with 3.5.2.7,

pemasu

#487 Post by pemasu »

Satori.
My real question is that other linux systems use 'rc.local.shutdown' to customize the shutdown sequence, however
Puppy does not use this file... and so, the update stepped on my customized 'rc.shutdown'.
Is the missing 'rc.local.shutdown' a mistake on Puppy's part, or it it particular to other linux systems, such as FatDog 64?
There is no invoking of rc.local.shutdown inside rc.shutdown.

Puppy`s /etc/rc.d folder scripts are unique for Puppy, created by Barry Kauler and been modified during the years, partly by feedback and bug fix suggestions from community.

I think there is no corresponding to generic linux scripts. Better knowing people can correct me.

FatDog has created its own path by kirk and jamesbond. It is not woof based Puppy anymore and hasnt been from the beginning. It has created its own system scripts.

Great to hear that you had faith of updating your systems. I will follow people feedback about this version, because main reason was to create sane enough build for generic dpup wheezy woofing.

pemasu

#488 Post by pemasu »

Charlie6.
fix: just need to create a symlink /usr/bin/evince-previewer to /usr/bin/evince
Thanks. This kind of bug fixing feedback I need. I dont have time to test every bit of my build.
But...I am going to upload fix updated dpup wheezy when it seems to be right time.

So...all bug fixes will be noticed and incorporated.

Brookdale working with you in my build. When has this happened before :D

spandey

#489 Post by spandey »

Thank you Pemasu, for this wonderful Puppy. I am running it on a 6 year old Core2duo PC. I would like to have suspend to ram option, can you please help me?

pemasu

#490 Post by pemasu »

Spandey. I have suspend to ram option included. How would you like to perform suspend to ram. I have coupled 'acpitool -s' by xbindkeys binary to perfom suspend to ram from sleep button and by /etc/acpi scripts by closing lid.

raffy

bcm 4313 rev. 1

#491 Post by raffy »

AMD E-350 laptop with Broadcom bcm 4313 rev. 1 wifi: wlan0 can't connect to wireless router.

There is no Frisbee here, so I was only trying the network wizards (simple and full wizards). Anyway, there was no such problem with your upup precise builds. Will also test the recent wheezy version.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

pemasu

#492 Post by pemasu »

Raffy. I woofed this build using pure woof structure. Previously I have downloaded latest woof and then patched it to create best result.
Using pure woof, I have missed some packages, which can be found from Puppy repositories. I need to update my distro_specs. Thanks.
Your needed pets are:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... 120920.pet
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... .2plus.pet
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... 120920.pet

Yeah....I was pretty sure that some firmwares were missing, but in fact I did forget to check them. I will be again very busy with other things...but I will accumulate these fixes for woofable dpup wheezy and for uploading fixed dpup wheezy update.

OscarTalks

#493 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Pemasu,

I have mentioned this in my Chromium thread, but thought I should post this here.

I have discovered that in DpupWheezy and also in Upup Raring, if I make a .pet of Chromium and install it, some of the files get overwritten. These include the .desktop file and /usr/bin/chromium

Obviously this doesn't happen if I load Chromium as an .sfs

I suspect this is happening because your fixator is activating and replacing those files post-installation. Not a huge problem because in most cases the browser still starts and runs, BUT..

Is it possible to make the fixator only activate if a .deb is installed but not if a .pet is installed?

Really, if I install a .pet I want the files installed to be the ones in the .pet without any modification. I have been experimenting with putting different variables and flags in. This can be done by putting them in my /usr/bin/chromium (as the Debian package does) or by making /usr/bin/chromium simply call another wrapper script such as (for example) /usr/lib/chromium/chromium-wrapper which would contain the variables and flags and which launches the main chromium binary.

Either way, your /usr/bin/chromium replaces my one, inserts your flags and calls the main chromium binary so any of my variables and flags are cut out.
Oscar in England

pemasu

#494 Post by pemasu »

OscarTalks.
/usr/local/petget/hacks-postinstall.sh
It has the code to create that fixator effect. As you notice the code recognizes google-chrome*, chromium* etc...

Best solution. Rename your browser pets like Google-chrome, Chromium, puppy-chromium or...something different anyway which that script recognizes.

Because there is samekind code in woof script already, I just have added it to fix all kind browser debs and pets which need root permission fixing.
Meaning, creating by woof anykind precise, raring, debian puppy distro will have that fixator effect due to fact that the code is already in woof. Yeah....it was me who got Barry to add that code to the woof script. Now we live with it.

And....if you have good additions to the parameters...you could shed some light what is the benefit. I havent studied those parameters much.
http://peter.sh/experiments/chromium-co ... -switches/

koulaxizis

#495 Post by koulaxizis »

pemasu wrote:I have used latest Barry`s woof to build Dpup Wheezy 3.5.2.8.

Hello pemasu! Thank you for this new release... :D

I tried it and here are the results till now...

Booted from USB on netbook Acer Aspire One

First boot: OK!

First shutdown / Savefile into USB: OK!

Add Greek as second language: OK!

Connect to internet through PGPRS: OK!

Update Puppy Package Manager: OK! - But before the update i could see 6 repositories in total.
After the update i had 13 repositories (see screenshots)!! Which 5 repositories should i enable?

SFS Downloader: From "Install" desktop icon -> "Click button to choose an SFS file from the official repo" - Can't find the repository (see screenshot).

Also, Firefox keeps asking me to install missing flash but can't find how to!

Any help with these problems? :)

Screenshots

[b]Christos Koulaxizis[/b]
[i]Woof woof from Greece![/i]

[color=darkred][url=https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppystuff/][ Puppy Stuff Repository ][/url][/color]

pemasu

#496 Post by pemasu »

koulaxizis

Update Puppy Package Manager: OK! - But before the update i could see 6 repositories in total.
After the update i had 13 repositories (see screenshots)!! Which 5 repositories should i enable?

-------> When you update ppm, skip Packages-debian-wheezy-mmd_main, it causes the update databases to fail and afterwards you have update databases and real ones, which are not merged as they should. Yeah...it is bug or better....problem because I included that debian multimedia repo....but that repo has some nice apps and libs. I need that repo for compiling.
Yeah I would need help from able ppm master to fix that one.

SFS Downloader: From "Install" desktop icon -> "Click button to choose an SFS file from the official repo" - Can't find the repository (see screenshot).

--------> I dont have official repo yet. Under work. I hope I will have it. There is project ongoing.

---------> Install libflashplayer. Older getflash was broken and I didnt know that there is newer one available when I woofed this one:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 805#590805

Why I didnt include libflashplaeyr.so. People with older comp have problem with newer libflash. Pentium III or Athlon probably need older version. Newer comp owners should use latest security updated one. You choose.

koulaxizis

#497 Post by koulaxizis »

pemasu wrote:koulaxizis

-------> When you update ppm, skip Packages-debian-wheezy-mmd_main, it causes the update databases to fail and afterwards you have update databases and real ones, which are not merged as they should. Yeah...it is bug or better....problem because I included that debian multimedia repo....but that repo has some nice apps and libs. I need that repo for compiling.
Yeah I would need help from able ppm master to fix that one.

--------> I dont have official repo yet. Under work. I hope I will have it. There is project ongoing.

---------> Install libflashplayer. Older getflash was broken and I didnt know that there is newer one available when I woofed this one:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 805#590805

Why I didnt include libflashplaeyr.so. People with older comp have problem with newer libflash. Pentium III or Athlon probably need older version. Newer comp owners should use latest security updated one. You choose.
Thank you for your really fast and detailed answer as well as for your hard work!

As you probably know, i'm not a developer, not even an experienced user.
But if i can help somehow just say it! I'm very interested in this project! ;)
[b]Christos Koulaxizis[/b]
[i]Woof woof from Greece![/i]

[color=darkred][url=https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppystuff/][ Puppy Stuff Repository ][/url][/color]

Smithy

#498 Post by Smithy »

Pemasu, is open box already built into this puppy?

I ask because after I added a wallpaper, openbox config appeared in the menu. It wasn't there previously. I am wondering if I have accidently put it in or whether it is in there already.

Anyways I have tried a combination of tint2 and open boxes to test, and it seems to have MAJOR problems trying to work.
When you run wheezy with openbox, there are scores of desktops appearing (more than twelve at least). There's a fight going on somewhere with Tint2 and Jwm I think.

Jwm looks ok if it could be tarted up a bit (semi transparent taskbar maybe and a few icon changes). I've only just found the jwm editor, so newbie mode is on!

The rest of it is great so far.

pemasu

#499 Post by pemasu »

# find /mnt/sda7/woof/dpup-wheezy-november/woof-out_x86_x86_debian_wheezy/packages-wheezy -name "*openbox*"
#

Didnt find anything with openbox in filename or in folder name. I would say Dpup Wheezy is stripped of any openbox related. I also havent included anything purposely.

I just dont have time now to tackle with openbox - tint2 combo. I hope someone experienced with openbox and using it would take the challenge and create wheezy compatible pets for it.

Smithy

#500 Post by Smithy »

Cheers Pemasu, it must have been me bu**gering about with your distro.
Will try a clean start again on it. Thanks.