GoboLinux for Linux File Structure Modifications?

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Eldon

#16 Post by Eldon »

tallboy wrote:Nope, that didn't help at all! If you are trying to tell us that a different filestructure in Linux would convert Windows users to Linux, you'll need every second you can find, so I'll stop wasting your time. You may also want to spend some of that time on exploring your language.
Eldon wrote: "fora"(not a word)
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum

tallboy
I edited that out shortly after I posted it.

If you are trying to insist that there aren't millions of people that won't switch for no reason other than file structure then you simply need to get out more. This isn't my perception- this is my experience with the general public.

Perhaps the linux community shares your sentiment as a whole but that is hindering it's widespread adoption and evolution.

I know a lady that didn't know what mercury is and she's in her 40s for crying out loud. 6 out of ten people I meet on the street- not at Justin Bieber concerts, but on the street are like that. It's typical. The reality is that many a windows user also watches American Idol. Most of those people will never even attempt to adjust to a foreign file system that's ambiguous and cryptic like linux.

I know a guy that uses linux from time to time and he's not intimidated by the file structure- but he's a geek. He refurbishes and repairs computers as a side job and has done so for years. He's not the general public.

As long as the linux community ignores that fact, they ensure that it will never make a serious impact on the market-share of windows.

MinHundHettePerro

#17 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Eldon wrote:...
6 out of ten people I meet on the street- not at Justin Bieber concerts, but on the street are like that. It's typical. The reality is that many a windows user also watches American Idol. Most of those people will never even attempt to adjust to a foreign file system that's ambiguous and cryptic like linux.
Here it has become quite common that schools supply laptops for their students, at least in the last stage of primary school i.e. for students 12/13-15/16 years old.

Last year one of my children (13 years old) came home with a school-supplied laptop running Linux - She hasn't asked about the OS even once, she just uses it. She grew up using WinXP, hasn't shown any interest whatsoever in the OS I run (doubt that she ever noticed), and she watches our national Idol program, as well as your version of it - and is about to go and see that J. B. fellow :shock:, and is as far from geekhood as imaginable.

FWIW :)/ MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

sunburnt

#18 Post by sunburnt »

Just make links on Puppy`s desktop for the PC`s drive partitions.

Like:
C:
D:
E:
ect...

I did this for my kids, and they were able to use Puppy immediately.

The rest of the O.S. is pretty WinBlows "like" already.
As Eldon points out, it`s the partition designations that are confusing.
Once the user is in the partition, a Linux FS looks the same as M$.

Eldon

#19 Post by Eldon »

sunburnt wrote:Just make links on Puppy`s desktop for the PC`s drive partitions.

Like:
C:
D:
E:
ect...

I did this for my kids, and they were able to use Puppy immediately.

The rest of the O.S. is pretty WinBlows "like" already.
As Eldon points out, it`s the partition designations that are confusing.
Once the user is in the partition, a Linux FS looks the same as M$.
Actually puppy takes care of that quite well apart from it being called sda etc. That, I think most people can live with.

What I'm referring to is the cryptic and ambiguous names of directories- that do not in any way tell a (new) user what is in those directories. Maybe a linux user, or a kid or someone willing to spend a little time, can easily figure out what's in /usr/libs but for the general public it's pretty ambiguous. If it was named "Drivers" or "Resources" or something descriptive of the contents then it would help. This si where I think something like gobohide should be explored or developed- I don't care how, as long as it addresses this as I think it would make a difference as far as attracting new users.

Kids are one thing- but I'm talking about the average adult that uses a PC or laptop but is not very computer literate beyond knowing how to do specific tasks they use it for- which in my experience is a majority people with a computer. My neighbor doesn't know the difference between the main "cpu tower" that is the machine they're using, and the "operating system" and there's no way to explain it to them(I've tried). These users have used PCs for a decade or more, but still aren't very computer literate and yet they make up a big chunk of the market that Microsoft sponges off of.

It seems to me that unless linux can make a few relatively simple adjustments to make it more straight forward for those types, Microsoft and iOS and Android will continue to dominate. (Yes, I know android is Linux, but it's also google's linux; so I view Android as somewhat of a perversion of linux.)

Eldon

#20 Post by Eldon »

MinHundHettePerro wrote:
Eldon wrote:...
6 out of ten people I meet on the street- not at Justin Bieber concerts, but on the street are like that. It's typical. The reality is that many a windows user also watches American Idol. Most of those people will never even attempt to adjust to a foreign file system that's ambiguous and cryptic like linux.
Here it has become quite common that schools supply laptops for their students, at least in the last stage of primary school i.e. for students 12/13-15/16 years old.

Last year one of my children (13 years old) came home with a school-supplied laptop running Linux - She hasn't asked about the OS even once, she just uses it. She grew up using WinXP, hasn't shown any interest whatsoever in the OS I run (doubt that she ever noticed), and she watches our national Idol program, as well as your version of it - and is about to go and see that J. B. fellow :shock:, and is as far from geekhood as imaginable.

FWIW :)/ MHHP
I was like that when I was a kid- but my mom taught computer literacy to adults at the time. My point is that for kids it's actually very trivial to learn a new OS's ins and outs. But for somebody in their 40s that's never taken a course or had time to read a book on the subject they probably won't use an OS if it requires more than a certain amount of time and effort to adjust to.

But the thing is- that doesn't stop them from using or needing a computer, so they wind up using Windows. Puppy has done a great job at being easy to use for a beginner. But even so, if one of these adults is looking for a folder that exists only in Windows, or one with a similar name that they can identify as what they're looking for, they can feel lost and just go back to what they know. They're not going to spend all day looking for the "Program Files" folder, and most won't bother to ask someone where the linux equivalent is.

As for the laptops- I wonder what version of linux they use- Ubuntu?

Side issue- Here some schools provide laptops/netbooks and people thought that was neat until they realized that they were used to monitor the kids through their webcams and that some perv administrator was not only watching them at home and logging their activity but even punishing them for things they did at home that were none of the school's business. :shock:

sunburnt

#21 Post by sunburnt »

For the most part, the average PC user should never mess with the files.
The only dir. ment for user use is /root/my-documents ( in Puppy ).

I would have put all of / except for /root and /homes in a dir. like: /linux
But Linux is a Unix clone, so it started life as a main frame O.S.

Unfortunately Puppy and many Linuxes are not very user adaptable.
But it`s good to have a free "simpler" O.S. that`s M$ Weeners like.
Most use PCs for web browsing, documents, media playing, etc.

Eldon

#22 Post by Eldon »

sunburnt wrote:Unfortunately Puppy and many Linuxes are not very user adaptable.
But it`s good to have a free "simpler" O.S. that`s M$ Weeners like.
Most use PCs for web browsing, documents, media playing, etc.

Yeah, and I think a feature similar to gobohide could accomplish that. Then after the "M$ Weeners" get weaned off M$ maybe they'll be more likely to stay off.

sunburnt

#23 Post by sunburnt »

Again... If you want a new different look at the file system, use links.

Make a dir., lets say /fs and fill it with links named how you want.

But I don`t see renaming /bin, /etc, /lib , /mnt, /proc, /sys helping anyone.
Same as if the real dirs. were named different, it wouldn`t help anything.
The only dir. the average user needs to access is /home/(user)/docs

Usability for average user isn`t in understanding the inner workings.
It`s all about good GUIs that make usage and what`s going on clear.

AND... It can`t be documentation, most folks won`t read docs, I don`t..
A good GUI should document itself, it should be short and informative.
Some things are more in-depth, so a Help button on the GUI is good.

Pelo

GoboPuppy was a Wary 5.1.2

#24 Post by Pelo »

GoboPuppy was a Wary 5.1.2. A big one, which starts on" Wary 5.1.2sfs not found" at home.
I don't understand the inerest in Gobo, and i will never understand. no help available for this Wary (except listed in the wiki puppy)
Attachments
gobo.jpg
I don't speak magyar
(86.06 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 22 Mar 2016, 08:50, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

Casting in Virtual fox : Gogo goes as it should go

#25 Post by Pelo »

Casting in Virtual fox : Gobo goes as it should go. So my copy to pendrive had some problems, that is my conclusion. Nevertheles the charm of Gobo does not appears at first sight. Kde is included.
It's a typist puppy, that is what makes it so FAT. (oOO office in the ISO). This fat can be withdrawn if your want a speedy Puppy, for amusement after a long day microsofting on your computer.
I am trying now DebianDog 64, named jessy.. born 2016 on my Virtual Box. My only criteria at casting : it runs on my computer, it brings me something new