Macpup 529

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gcmartin

smbclient is NOT SAMBA. it is one small feature.

#46 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Runtt21. Thanks for looking at ths further for understandng.

Yes, I know about the SAMBA cleint. But that is only to support a Puppy network search package.

Thsi is NOT SAMBA, the package. Think of it like a library striped out of SAMBA to support another package created and used for PUPPY purposes.

SAMBA IS the abilty to share files from a Linux PC with other PCs on the LAN. It has a component SMBClient that support PC discovery on the LAN, but, that is only one of SAMBA's components. ONLY the Puppy distros I mentioned ship with SAMBA.

Being up-front with what's delivered will not diminish the quallity of your distto. But, information you provide to distrowatch will be more accurate. And, I, personally regard MACPUP as a quality distro.

Here to help

Ray MK

#47 Post by Ray MK »

Hi - just a small something FYI - can't get Pfind to work.

Made sure I had not done something totally dim, like forgetting to mount the drives I was searching.

Tried to install the latest Pfind - but no go. That was as far as I got.

Tested all the other Precise derivatives, they were all ok, switched WM to JWM, but still no go.

Looked inside 529.sfs to see if anything obvious was missing (not that I really knew what I was looking for).

Anyway - just so you know. Best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

runtt21

#48 Post by runtt21 »

Yesterday we where still at #7 ( three days in a row) now up ti #6 :D
Attachments
day6.jpg
(26.78 KiB) Downloaded 1778 times

runtt21

#49 Post by runtt21 »

Ray MK , What was wrong with the pfind that is included? It's working for me.
Attachments
pfind1.jpg
(22.85 KiB) Downloaded 1660 times
pfind2.jpg
(48.48 KiB) Downloaded 1295 times

Ray MK

#50 Post by Ray MK »

Hi runtt21

Every time I asked Pfind to search for files or a file that I absolutely knew were on sda1 for example, it would respond saying, file not found.

However, I will try again, although BK has found file corruption in the latest Pfind pet. (although that may not be relevant here)

Will try some more and let you know what happens.

Thanks for checking - very best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

Karl Godt

#51 Post by Karl Godt »

Ray MK wrote:Hi runtt21

Every time I asked Pfind to search for files or a file that I absolutely knew were on sda1 for example, it would respond saying, file not found.

However, I will try again, although BK has found file corruption in the latest Pfind pet. (although that may not be relevant here)

Will try some more and let you know what happens.

Thanks for checking - very best regards - Ray
from the roxterm :

Code: Select all

PATTERN='name'
find /mnt/sda1 -iname "*${PATTERN}*"
find should find hidden files . ls command needs -a or -A option to show hidden files .
-iname means "insensitive" while -name would be "case sensitive" .
A common feature of Window is i heard to accept insensitive user names for example .
The only case sensitive windows feature should be for passwds .

btw : ROX-Filer is set to start xterm->rxvt->urxvt, not roxterm when hitting "`" backtick .
( To change this : ROX-Filer Options > Menus > Terminal emulator program )

Karl Godt

#52 Post by Karl Godt »

Status message after first reboot :

The shutdown went nice . The improvement suggested by me to rc.shutdown implemented by BarryK offer only greater than X in size savefiles seems to work correctly . The secure choice as root and ext3 worked installed frugal to folder on reiser-3.6 fs Macpup_O2 full install . Made 1GB save file . ( Small optical glitch at the end of it : should terminate the dialog by a clear >/dev/console . But thats not important now. )
Booted with all settings seemed saved correctly . e17 still is in german lang mode .

About Opera browser : Opera seems to automatically convert .xz and .pet files into .gz ones and corrupting these . Tried to adjust the MIME settings in Opera without luck :grrr: . Tried both : Save as and simply dl .

About Seamonkey : Seamonkey 2.4 and 2.8 did not start because of platform problems ( 2.4 = 7 | 2.8 = 11 and needs 13 ) . Installed http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... inux-i686/ 2.12b5 and this runs . Seamonkey has the same disordering in the preview as Firefox .

Firefox and Seamonkey dl correctly but still have the .pet problem at some ftp sites to render them in the window instead of opening the DL-Manager .

Compiling : BIG BIG PROBLEMS here with older sources >=2 years . A lot of them need to get CFLAGS="-lpthread -lrt -lm" LDFLAGS="$SAME" passed to ./configure .
(The main glibc sub libraries)
Bluez-4.85 compiled, but 4.75 already started to complain .
No bluetooth until now . Will have to check dbus since dbus is older than on Macpup-4 series (guessing the wary dbus) .

Compiled a small internet rp game client with gtk-2 : crossfire

sh-3.00# uptime
19:11:28 up 1 day, 7:44, load average: 0.88, 0.93, 0.94

on
http://www.dell.com/us/dfb/p/optiplex-755/pd
mini-tower which is in fact a normal tower pc.

runtt21

#53 Post by runtt21 »

Compiling : BIG BIG PROBLEMS here with older sources >=2 years . A lot of them need to get CFLAGS="-lpthread -lrt -lm" LDFLAGS="$SAME" passed to ./configure .
(The main glibc sub libraries)
You should let BarryK know that will effect him too.

Karl Godt

freecraft on Macpup-529

#54 Post by Karl Godt »

works

with

http://www.mediafire.com/?sae4rm5shlh1qeh freecraft-1.20-pup4-krg-i686.pet compiled on Macpup Foxy 3 ( 530 KB )

Main TOKNOW : Mouse-Grab in the window : ALT+G to bind the cursor to the window and also to unbind it ( toggle ) .

NEEDS the data files : http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/cdimage/sn ... rig.tar.gz which go to /usr/share/games/freecraft . Probably needs symlink /usr/share/games/freecraft/default -> data .

Needs SDL for which I have packaged a .sfs from Slacko
http://www.mediafire.com/?tchpoa8s2f1ytr9 SDL-Slacko-5-all.sfs ( 2,3 MB )

Needs libiconv for which I have made a .sfs compiled on Macpup-529-Precise
http://www.mediafire.com/?su6man7kw521i9a libiconv-1.14-i686-precise-all.sfs ( 2,2 MB )
Got libiconv from here : http://www.gnu.org/software/libiconv/ . Compiled nicely. make check;echo $?; had been '0' .

( check compiled on Macpup-529-Precise : http://www.mediafire.com/?6uj93yo9c894g6r check-0.9.8-krg-precise-all-i686.pet ( 160 KB ) )

( other forum thread : Freecraft-1.2 old Warcraft2 clone )

runtt21

#55 Post by runtt21 »

Karl you ROCK !!!!Thanks !!

Would you take a shot at compiling pidgin for precise/Macpup ?

Karl Godt

#56 Post by Karl Godt »

Tja, iconv.h is actually part of the libc6-dev_2.15-0ubuntu10_i386.deb

Pidgin needs

gstreamer0.10_0.10.36.orig.tar.bz2 [ compiled ]

gst-plugins-base0.10_0.10.36.orig.tar.bz2 [ compiled ]

farstream_0.1.2.orig.tar.gz
which needs libnice_0.1.1.orig.tar.gz [ compiled ]

BUT also needs
checking for headers required to compile python extensions... not found
configure: error: could not find Python headers

:CRY:

I am gaming a little hour or two before i check python :P

Karl Godt

#57 Post by Karl Godt »

Not today .

Python.h is missing totally in the devx . Would need python(dev) installed .

Older pidgin 2.7.1 and 2.6.6 need farsight (freedesktop.org (dbus,hal,..)

Even older 2.5.8 and 2.4.2 need meanwhile(Sametime) http://www-01.ibm.com/software/lotus/sametime/

[
sh-3.00# df -m

Filesystem     1M-blocks  Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda3          20771 14788      5984  72% /initrd/mnt/dev_save
/dev/loop1          1008   800       209  80% /initrd/pup_rw

sh-3.00# uptime
21:12:03 up 2 days, 9:45, load average: 1.19, 1.15, 1.19
]

runtt21

#58 Post by runtt21 »

Karl, Sir , Thank you very much for your time and effort!! I need all the help I can get. I will look into the python stuff for the devx this week.

I have built an xchat.pet using the ubuntu packages. It works so far But I don't use irc so I don't know if all the functions work. It has all the dependencies included. 11 MB. It's in the macpup529 folder on my macpup page .

We have dropped back to #7 ar DW today . Thing should calm down this week and get back to normal. I should have a new theme or two and some other stuff by the end of the week.
[url]http://macpup.org/runtt21[/url]

Pelo

MacPUP are the best !

#59 Post by Pelo »

I see You have Xvidcap included. The russian version is perfect, with sound recording working. That is not the case of each Puppy, overall 528.
529 is not Lucid ? We could believe the contrary. I am working now with précise. This distro is OK.

But our dogs are so prolific, i cannot follow all the brand new issues. The next try will be Macpup.
Bonne nuit. Pelo

Pelo

Please improve keyboard fr choice

#60 Post by Pelo »

Hello, fine Macpup, as always. 529 should make believe it's a new distro based on Lucid 529, instead of precise. Lucid has a big problem with sound.
I have beeng using Precise since a Week and it works perfectly, wifi and alsa, without repair.
Keyboard set fr at boot, but typing qwerty ! Nous les français on aime pas trop;

Il faut reconnecter la wifi au reboot, pas bon !

Precise do it well, what have you change ?

Tell us how to avoid these little bugs, generally you were better than the original distro !

runtt21

#61 Post by runtt21 »

This pup is called 529 because that is where we are in the development of macpup. We just did mp528 and now it's time for 529. mp529 doesn't localize very well ,most likely a problem with this builds version of ecore. Things are changing very quickly with e17 development. It's pointless to do a new build of e until they finish.

For now stick with mp528v2 until we update if you have localization issues.

Karl Godt

#62 Post by Karl Godt »

For Lupu-529 look here :
playdayz wrote:James C, I would say

luci-529 - Original Three-Headed Dog
luci-001 - Three-Headed Dog Version 2 Take 2
(Instant_update 001 for 3HD) NOV 17 2011
luci-001.002 - current Three-Headed Dog Version 3 JAN 10 2012
(Instant_Update 002.1 for 3HD - will update either Version 1 or Version 2 to Version 3 specs)

IMHO people should use either the current luci-001.002.iso Version 3 or use the IU 002.1 to update either V1 or V2. to V3 specs. These are both in the first section of the first message of this thread.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 128#595575
Three-Headed Dog 5.2.8.005 Updated APR 25 2012
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... =862912128

Karl Godt

#63 Post by Karl Godt »

So, now I will shutdown :
sh-3.00# uptime
02:24:50 up 3 days, 14:58, load average: 1.12, 0.98, 0.97

Gave Python a shot which compiled but saying two audio modules were missing headers/libs to finish .
Gobject, gmodule, pycairo .. .. .. and i don't exactly remember which at least failed to compile . Will give pidgin on Foxy3 and Opera2 a shot since i have the sources .

Xchat needs a dependency as Pidgin and refused to configure .

For the "left-handers" :
Attachments
left-and-right-button.png
(36.57 KiB) Downloaded 2062 times

Karl Godt

#64 Post by Karl Godt »

Yup pidgin compiled on my Foxy3 full installation . 2.4.2 not because some sa_len is missing in the /include/headers.h but 2.5.8 did but is missing the activate menu . Here snap pidgin-2.6.6 - which is missing a room search function :

./configure --disable-gtkspell --disable-meanwhile --disable-avahi --disable-nm --disable-tcl --disable-vv --disable-idn
But this configure-line is something I guess pidgin is not famous for . I prefer ChatZilla . Firefox -> Tools -> Add-ons and in the search box [ chatzilla ] installed it for me .

Karl Godt

#65 Post by Karl Godt »

nilsonmorales at the irc.freenode.net#puppylinux chat pointed me to http://puppylinux.org/wikka/pidgin

which refers to Pidgin 2.10.0 and 2.10.5 for lupu and 4.3.1 .

These pidgin are also configured with --disable-much --disable-more .