[CLOSED] Radeon configuration not restored at Restart X

Using applications, configuring, problems
linuph

#16 Post by linuph »

@beau_tox
My video hardware is an ATI Mobility M6 LY (R100) chip. It is significantly different from the more recent ATOM chips. I believe that the ati fglrx driver won't work for me. However, there seem to be similar issues, that may point to radeon driver issues that I discovered earlier. Thanks for the hint.

linuph

#17 Post by linuph »

I deleted the squeezesave file and started all over. I made sure that xorg.conf was configured correctly. I then did several reboots and power-offs. Sometimes I had wallpaper and icons, sometimes not but never the sda1 icon. I then found why the sda1 icon is not displayed:

Initially, /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin does not contain the sda1 icon but it's there after RestartX and, consequently on the desktop. They are however already defined (if that is the correct word) in /root/.pup_event. I copied PuppyPin to PuppyPin1 and made the following script in /root/Startup:

#!/bin/sh
cp /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin1 /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin

Now sda1 also consistently appears on the desktop at boot/reboot.

But, herewith the PuppyPin file has become static. Any change in icons will not be reflected. So I have to find a way to do the reverse the copy process at power off/reboot:

cp /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin1

I think there are two places to add that line, in wmreboot and wmpoweroff. But I'd rather put it in a non-invasive script somewhere.
Where would be the best place? Or is there a better way?

I have not found why I sometimes/often get a blank screen without wallpaper or icons. The (hidden) tray bar is there, but nothing else. As usual, RestartX corrects that.

npierce

#18 Post by npierce »

Hi linuph,

I'm wondering if perhaps you didn't see my last post: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 140#648140

linuph

#19 Post by linuph »

Hi npierce.
Ah yes, I played around with 'sleep 7' in .xinitrc. Did not help the screen blank issue, i.e. no wallpaper, no icons.

Now the mystery of the disappearing sda1 icon seems solved (or at least worked around), I'm further looking into the screen blank thing now.

After lots of reboots I found out that the screen blank is intermittent, that is:

Reboot 1: OK
Reboot 2: not OK
Reboot 3: OK
Reboot 4: not OK
Reboot 5: OK
|
|
etc.

OK meaning everything is there, not OK meaning no wallpaper, no icons. Mmm....what could be the cause of that?

npierce

#20 Post by npierce »

linuph wrote:Ah yes, I played around with 'sleep 7' in .xinitrc. Did not help the screen blank issue, i.e. no wallpaper, no icons.
Too bad, it would have been nice if it had just needed those delays.
linuph wrote:Reboot 1: OK
Reboot 2: not OK
Reboot 3: OK
Reboot 4: not OK
Reboot 5: OK
Does it continue working OK exactly every other time? Or is it more random than that?

You might have a look at /tmp/xerrs.log when it is "not OK" to see if there are any clues there. Perhaps ROX-Filer starts but soon dies.

Actually you might also look at /tmp/xerrs.log when is is "OK" to see if anything is different from when it is "not OK".

It is good to hear that you are making some progress in your investigation of the problems. I'm sorry not to have any better ideas at the moment.

linuph

#21 Post by linuph »

It seems to be a regular pattern, but I can't really say until I have done umph reboots. That's not what I intend to do...

I'm now looking into /tmp/xerrs.log. There's a lot of information there that I need to compare and understand between 'OK' and 'not OK'.

Thanks for giving direction. I'll be back....

linuph

#22 Post by linuph »

I mark this thread as closed. The problems I have with loading of wallpaper and icons have nothing to do with the radeon driver on my laptop. There are other reasons, that I'm still investigating and trying to understand.

Incorrectly, I've been jumping conclusions. Blame my newbie ignorance.

However, the wallpaper and icon issues remain. I will post another thread soon.