Puppy109CE released

News, happenings
Nevermore

#31 Post by Nevermore »

great great simply great!
i burn a few copies and i will give to my friends!
--
/sbin/Nevermore

Nathan F

#32 Post by Nathan F »

I jusr uploaded the Seamonkey package to the puppyfiles.us repo, for those of you who were hoping to run that instead of Firefox. I just made a couple of changes to the package, in order to make sure it displayed correctly in the menus, but this is basically the same package that Barry has in Puppy2 right now. Includes Browser/MailNews/Editor/Addressbook.

Will get the rox-2.4 package up next.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

#33 Post by Nathan F »

Okay, I just uploaded the final rox-filer-2.4.1 package to the puppyfiles repo. This is almost all the hard work of Pizzasgood, with the addition of a hacked binary to give it an 'Open With..' menu item just like in rox-1.2.1. I decided to leave out my patch on the pinboard (which just removed the backgropundsetter function) just in case. I've learned a bit more about C in the meantime and mat update it to open the regular Puppy backgroundsetter with that menu item.

The patched source is at ftp://texasangel.org/pub/grafpup/source ... rce.tar.gz

I've tested this and it seems to work quite well, and integrates nicely in Puppy-109.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Melmo

Distrowatch

#34 Post by Melmo »

Hey Nathan,

i noticed that the new 1.09 version has yet to be touted on distrowatch you might need to send vladamir a friendly reminder to anounce the releace.

Melmo

Nathan F

#35 Post by Nathan F »

Actually, I've already written to him about it. No response so far, but anyone else who wants to contact him about it is welcome to do so.

I've done some more work to the rox source, and did manage to hack in a function that allows you to call our backgroundsetter from the right click menu on the pinboard. Previously that particular menu item called the one built into rox itself, which we don't want to use for other reasons. There's a little bit of a problem with it, as it crashes the pinboard momentarily, but as soon as you select a new background the script refreshes it anyway. I might just add a line to the function (in rox) that restarts the pinboard as soon as you open the backgroundsetter. I'd rather know why it's crashing though, so I'm not going to release any such package until I can come up with a satisfactory answer. So for now the one I just uploaded a little while ago is about as official as it gets.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

BlackAdder

Memory Requirements

#36 Post by BlackAdder »

The free command shows Puppy 1.09CE using 131272KB of memory before Firefox is loaded and 160224KB after Firefox starts (this on a 512MB machine).
Will try it out on a 192MB machine later, and with only 128MB memory when I can cobble a machine together with that memory config.
As a point of comparison, Puppy2 has been tested on machines with 48MB and no swap, even less with swap enabled.

Nathan F

#37 Post by Nathan F »

Puppy2 has a big advantage when it caomes to memory requirements, and always will. That is one of the biggest reasons for the switch, actually.

I've finally succeeded in my hacking of the rox source, and killed the bug that I introduced. I was using the execl function to call the backgroundsetter from a shell, but hadn't properly forked the pinboard first. I'm using it now, and will go ahead and make this version available. I'll repost the source archive and package shortly.

I'm doing my best to keep track of the few bugs that are being reported, and plan to try and get a bugfix out shortly to cover whatever ones are there.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

marksouth2000

Another bug

#38 Post by marksouth2000 »

Nathan F wrote: I'm doing my best to keep track of the few bugs that are being reported, and plan to try and get a bugfix out shortly to cover whatever ones are there.
I've posted the following in the Bugs section of the forum:

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=8095

This was based on a discussion in the Begineers section:

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=7269

Neither thread has generated a response to my question. Seems like the heavyweight forum posters are taking something of a rest after getting 109CE out of the door. It's not a showstopper for 109CE, but it is a pain if you are trying to do an option 1 HD install, because the boot floppy needs to work.

BTW Nathan, in case I haven't already mentioned it, thanks for all your work in getting 109CE out there. 8)

#39 Post by Guest »

Sorry for asking this in the wrong thread but i have a question for pizzagood.
[quote="Pizzasgood"]
Puppy109 Poor-Man's HD Install (

Pizzasgood

#40 Post by Pizzasgood »

You can mount the iso file to get the guts out of it without burning a cd.
mount /root/wherever/puppy.iso /mnt/cdrom -o loop
Othrwise you just mount the actual cd (or get them out from within Windows).

I then copied image.gz, usr_cram.fs, and vmlinuz to the harddrive. Then I editied the lilo.cfg file in my Vector partition to have a chunk like this"

Code: Select all

# Puppy Linux 109
image = /mnt/hdb1/vmlinuz
    label = PuppyLinux-109
    append = "root=/dev/ram0 initrd=image.gz PFILE=pup109-none-524288"
    initrd = /mnt/hdb1/image.gz
    read-only
(Which will also default it to a 524288 K pupfile)
Then I chrooted into my Vector partition and ran "lilo".

The above method will only work if you already have lilo installed though. It came with Vector so I've never had to install it or grub, so I wouldn't be able to tell you how. Rarsa just posted instructions for Grub somewhere, though. If you search you'd find it pretty quickly, I think.

EDIT: Here it is: http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... 0566#50566

As for remastering, I don't know what you did wrong without more detail than that. In the meantime, I'll try guessing. Did you add them to the new filesystem (not the normal filetree your in)? As in /mnt/hackyroot/filesystem/? Did you run the buttons in the correct order, doing usr first and then image? Uh, that's about all I can come up with of the top of my head. One way you can get a better idea of if there's and error is to rightclick the roxapp and run with the terminal option. Then it will display messages and maybe let you know if something has an error. I added more error-checking than it used to have, but it still doesn't always realize it messed up and let you know through the GUI.

Do you maybe mean the Unleashed script, where you use the actual packages to build a Puppy? Or maybe PCC (I think that's what it was called)? Both of those are already in it, but I've never used them and don't know where they are within Puppy.

We have been known to get a little off topic here in Puppy world, but if you anticipate needing a bit of help with HackyRemaster it would probably be easier to just start a new thread. Less confusing that way.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

#41 Post by Guest »

Thanks for the reply bud.I must of misunderstood what you have in your sig:
"Puppy109 Poor-Man's HD Install " :?: I thought you had it installed using install to hd using option2 but (actual install not running it.
Thanks again for the reply.

Pizzasgood

#42 Post by Pizzasgood »

"Poor-Man's" is what we used to call the option-1 harddrive install. It sounds cooler, so I've been using that.

I've never used an option 2 installation, but I suppose you could do it by mounting the cd/iso, taking out usr_cram.fs and image.gz, and decompressing them. I don't know what you'd have to do to actually install it, but that would give you access to the filesystem. If you read through the installation script you could probably figure out what it actually does and then do that.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

shankargopal

#43 Post by shankargopal »

Hi, quick and maybe stupid question: will the Seamonkey unleashed package work in Puppy 1.0.8r1?

I've got a lot of important files in Puppy and am scared of upgrading to 1.09CE in case the upgrade screws up some of the software...

But great job guys
Shankar

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#44 Post by Lobster »

Hey Shankar,

It worked on my 1.09CE (it is available as a Pupget)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

bongmaster

#45 Post by bongmaster »

just downloading to update my 1.08 server :)

hope it still works after :P
*Under Renewal*

metro1000

VMware tools

#46 Post by metro1000 »

Anybody know how to install VMware tools into 1.09CE?
where do you get seamonkey from?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#47 Post by Lobster »

From the menu in 1.09CE

Start / Setup / Puppy package manager / puppy package manager / pupget package manager / click on seamonkey

then restart jwm and it will be on the menu

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

bongmaster

#48 Post by bongmaster »

EEP :shock: mozilla has gone an firefox will not open at all :? how can i change this?

just updated from 1.08 and i really need mozilla working :(
*Under Renewal*

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#49 Post by Lobster »

Seamonkey = Mozilla browser

From the menu in 1.09CE

Start / Setup / Puppy package manager / pupget package manager / click on seamonkey

Last edited by Lobster on Fri 26 May 2006, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

dewdrop

just updated from 1.08 and i really need mozilla working

#50 Post by dewdrop »

Lobster wrote:Seamonkeey = Mozilla browser

From the menu in 1.09CE

Start / Setup / Puppy package manager / pupget package manager / click on seamonkey

Hi Lobster and bongmaster,

It is also in the IceWM window manager after you do your above quoted procedure to get it installed along with the logout/login procedure.

dewdrop