New kernel on 2016 Puppy (kernel 3.14.55 --> 4.18.5)?

discuss compiling applications for Puppy
clerk_gabel

New kernel on 2016 Puppy (kernel 3.14.55 --> 4.18.5)?

#1 Post by clerk_gabel »

Hi - two questions:

I am satisfied with the full install of Slacko 6.3.2 on my single core intel 1.5GHz computer. My Puppys two year old kernel (3.14.55) is in a way insecure as it does not take precautions when it comes to the Intel processor "meltdown" and "spectre" security issues proved just a few months back, where kernels from 2018 do level out these..

I would like to ask if anybody know if

1) it is possible to import / extract the configuration of the working kernel and reuse it when building a new kernel?

2) the Grub4Dos bootloader is capable of booting multiple kernels from within its menu, eg.: "boot Linux with old kernel" alt. "boot Linux with new kernel 4.18.5"?

This was possible from the lilo bootloader where, if memory serve me, a DOS issue made that option problematic with Grub4Dos. It should not be that complicated to replace Grub4dos with lilo, if necessary.
With a default configuration kernel 4.18.5 compile without errors on this very nice distro

Thankful for comments and ideas

HerrBert

#2 Post by HerrBert »

not to be unkind, but did you get your new kernel up and running?

i've tried to compile a 4.9.x for my slacko64 6.3.2. compilation worked fine, but x-server complains about outdatet version. up to 4.4 everything works.
for reasons, i "downgraded" to 32bit at least. there was no benefit in using 64bit for me.
currently running slacko 6.3.2 with kernel 4.4.150, compiled in woof-ce kernel-kit.

for older hardware i suggest to use an "older" kernel like 3.18.x (current version is 3.18.120 ATM)

Sailor Enceladus has a link to slacko-5.8CE, which is now 5.8.1 and in the recent version uses kernel 3.18.119 here

i "borrowed" his kernel for an installation of slacko 6.3.2 on an older laptop. it's amazing fast...and it's up-to-date, although it's EOL :?

clerk_gabel

#3 Post by clerk_gabel »

Thank you for reply, HerrBert. I have not come that far as trying to install the 4.18.5 kernel as I want to keep an option for booting the present kernel if the new kernel fail. I will work my way where it probably will be necessary to replace Grub with lilo.
It sounds great if you succeeded in "stealing" Sailor Enceladus's kernel patched for meltdown and spectre. Did you just replace your wmlinuz with his in the /boot folder ?.
He provide a 3.18 kernel source as sfs where it is unclear if the source is patched. As I am on a Puppy installed to hard disk loading a sfs is irreversible. I guess the source files just will unpack to /usr/src/linux3.18 and they might be precisely what I need, though the little I have read about newest kernel issues mostly regard dual core processors.
Have not heard of the woof-kernel kit and will take a look.

HerrBert

#4 Post by HerrBert »

i don't know much about full installations. in my frugal installs i can change the kernel by copying zdrv and vmlinuz to my installation-directory, renaming zdrv to appropriat distro-name/version and append DISTRO_IDSTRING to both.

i have no idea, where any sfs mounts it's content, if you're on a full installation.

one question, if i may:
if you are concerned about security, then why do you use a full installation?

clerk_gabel

#5 Post by clerk_gabel »

Thank you for advice, HerrBert. I am unsure why I prefer a full install, perhaps just a habit, or relying more on a hard disk than a USB stick?. Your way of upgrading was elegant - the simplest solution often is the best :idea:

This recipie for upgrading the kernel now works for me (with development files devx_slacko_6.3.2.sfs installed)

1) install kernel_sources-3.18.119-slacko.sfs as suggested above by HerrBert, they end up in usr/src/linux. If the 3.18.119 sources are downloaded from kernel.org and unpacked to usr/src they probably also will do.

2) in a terminal window navigate to /usr/src/linux and enter "make localmodconfig". The configuration of the system will be copied and saved in a .config file, this take some time.

3) type "make" - the new kernel will build based on .config

4) after compiling has ended type "make modules_install"

5) finally enter "make install" and reboot.

Editing the Grub4Dos "menu.lst" config file by hand ended in a no-boot disaster and when booting a 4.15 kernel sound and wi-fi had disappeared (but works on 3.18.119) :)

dancytron

#6 Post by dancytron »

clerk_gabel wrote:Thank you for advice, HerrBert. I am unsure why I prefer a full install, perhaps just a habit, or relying more on a hard disk than a USB stick?. Your way of upgrading was elegant - the simplest solution often is the best :idea:

This recipie for upgrading the kernel now works for me (with development files devx_slacko_6.3.2.sfs installed)

1) install kernel_sources-3.18.119-slacko.sfs as suggested above by HerrBert, they end up in usr/src/linux. If the 3.18.119 sources are downloaded from kernel.org and unpacked to usr/src they probably also will do.

2) in a terminal window navigate to /usr/src/linux and enter "make localmodconfig". The configuration of the system will be copied and saved in a .config file, this take some time.

3) type "make" - the new kernel will build based on .config

4) after compiling has ended type "make modules_install"

5) finally enter "make install" and reboot.

Editing the Grub4Dos "menu.lst" config file by hand ended in a no-boot disaster and when booting a 4.15 kernel sound and wi-fi had disappeared (but works on 3.18.119) :)
The only reason to prefer a full install is if you have a very old machine with very little RAM.

Especially if you are concerned enough about security to be switching kernels, switch to a frugal install. It is much more secure and simply how Puppy was meant to run.

To all: I restate my suggestion that Mick01 etc give "full install" a more accurate name. I suggest "legacy install."

mikeslr

#7 Post by mikeslr »

dancytron +1

I can't find where clerk_gabel ever mentioned exactly how little his "little RAM" was. IIRC, however, the minimum RAM requirements for Slacko 6.3.2 is 756 Mbs, and with that much RAM, there should not be any appreciable difference in the performance of a Full over a Frugal Puppy. The Full install technique was developed when it was common for computers to come with 256 Mbs of RAM. Adding a swap-drive or swap-file (as much as 2 Gbs -- the old twice-ram saw lacking any experiential foundation)-- will alleviate some of the problems of low-RAM on either a Frugal or Full install.

But with little RAM, I'd recommend Slacko 5.7 or any of its derivatives such as those from 8Geee, mistfire and Sailor Enceladus. Unlike Ubuntu, Slackware hasn't abandoned the 13.0 binaries, and as noted, Puppy Devs continue to build on them, build for them and keep them up-to-date with security fixes.

mikesLr

clerk_gabel

#8 Post by clerk_gabel »

dancytron - it is just that I am used to do it this way, it gives me a sense of something physical. I know a virtual disk is as good as a physical one, each with advantages and disadvantages, like Spotify compared to vinyl records..
According to what I've read Meltdown and Spectre works in memory, so with respect to these flaws files stored physical on a HDD perhaps would be less vulnerable in full installs compared to existing in RAM, where much of Puppy live. Time will tell how serious these processor shortcomings will be for society compared to threats from malware etc. we otherwise hear a lot about.
Slacko installed, ran and connected fine to the web on this machine when it had 496Mb of RAM (now upgraded with an extra 1Gb module). Puppy Slacko 6.3.2 recognised all hardware and ports on this 10-12 year old "no-name" Intel Celeron computer, so a lot of effort have gone into configuring it's kernel. Now also here kernel 4.4.153, as with HerrBert, works after actively flagging "y" to "allow groups" in the pop up menu following "make localmodconfig" if upgrading kernel from 3.18 --> to 4.4 using the recipie seen above.
Much work from developers and community must have been put into Puppy who allow countless Intel Celeron computers to connect to the web with maintained kernel and browsers - not bad!. Linux / Puppy as idea is amazing.