my main computer:
Processor: 4x AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor
Memory: 3375MB
ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics supporting 1600x900 pixels
RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: VT1708B Analog
SB {HDA ATI SB], device 1: VT1708B Digital

Slacko beta works well, without a hitch except perhaps 1:

Loaded LibreOffice 3,6. All of its applications can be started from the desktop files in /usr/share/applications/ from a terminal and from fbpanel I installed. None can be started from the Menu, except for the overview app "LibreOffice" (menu>Document>LibreOffice 3.6) from which other apps can be started. I had previously loaded your LibreOffice into OV-Precise from which it ran without the above problem.

As I run/test various Puppies, I prefer SFSes. I have run into a problem with all recent VLC SFSes. They run, but complain about not being able to decode video files. This occurs in Slacko, precise, ov-precise, maybe Exprimo (I don't recall). If I load VLC-1.2.sfs, it is able to play media files.
I don't know enough to know what's changed. Are all the vlc-2x.sfs dependent on Qt? I haven't installed it.

mikesLr

darkcity

#92 Post by darkcity »

01micko wrote:... ...

Hmmm.... try alsawizard, and with >1 card use the multiple soundcard wizard, in alsawizard.

SoundBlasters should work ok. The only ones I have are ancient ISA ones, no mobo to test atm.
This is what happens if I run the glmark.sh script
# glmark.sh
Let the test run or press ESC to abort.
It will take a couple of minutes
width 400 height 400 depth 16 0
===================================================
GLMark 08
Enter screen width: Enter screen height: Enter screen bpp: Enter '1' for fullscreen '0' for windowed: ===================================================
OpenGL Information
GL_VENDOR: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
GL_RENDERER: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 915G x86/MMX/SSE2
GL_VERSION: 1.4 Mesa 8.0.4
/usr/sbin/glmark.sh: line 35: 4702 Done echo "$W $H $D $param"
4703 Segmentation fault | ./glmark
multiple sound card wizard doesn't find any cards, this is what I get from alsaconf...
# alsaconf
Getting started...
Building card database, please wait...
/usr/sbin/alsaconf: line 479: /lib/modules/3.2.28-4g/modules.pcimap: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/alsaconf: line 479: /lib/modules/3.2.28-4g/modules.isapnpmap: No such file or directory
...no device found
Probing legacy cards.. This may take a few minutes..
Probing: opl3sa2/cs4236/cs4232/cs4231/es18xx/es1688/sb16/sb8/usr/sbin/alsaconf: line 1195: ac_try_card_opl3sa2/cs4236/cs4232/cs4231/es18xx/es1688/sb16/sb8: No such file or directory

01micko

#93 Post by 01micko »

hmmmm....

alsaconf is severely broken.

It is broken in ALL distros.. (using kmod)

The new kmod (replaces module-init-tools) does not generate /lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.pcimap or modules.isamap..

On the hunt for a fix..

This will affect dpup built from wheezy too...

:x
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Billtoo

Slacko - next cycle -beta

#94 Post by Billtoo »

I couldn't get the soundblaster audigy value card working so I took it out and replaced it with a Multimedia audio controller C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738 card.
Also using different speakers, a pair by logitech.
I have a soundblaster se in my hp desktop and it works great with this new beta.
Anyhow, I have sound :)

I couldn't get the soundblaster audigy value to work in about 4 puppy versions that I tried, old and new.

tlchost

#95 Post by tlchost »

Jasper wrote:Hi tlchost,

If you have a frugal installation of Slacko you might like to take a backup of your save file and try seaside's load all sfs files in a directory at once
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 79&t=74471
Must be my faulty reading skills....but do any of the things you mentioned allow for more than 6 sfs files to be loaded at the same time? I used the SFS-TCZ_Linker in Choice_pup, but it's no longer on the forum as a download.

Thanks
Thom

01micko

#96 Post by 01micko »

01micko wrote:hmmmm....

The new kmod (replaces module-init-tools) does not generate /lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.pcimap or modules.isamap..

On the hunt for a fix..

@darkcity

It seems alsaconf is broken in Slackware-current too, I am going to make a bug report to them before they go final, I'll check Pat's changelogs first. [done!]

There is a post by rokytnji in this forum that may work.

Also, knowing your sound hardware wouldn't go astray, lspci -nn | grep -i audio should do it, or from hardinfo.

-

@Billtoo

I reckon retrovol is the problem with your fancy sound-blaster. It seems it can't handle all the entrys. alsamixer should be able to, just press TAB when you run out of options in one window and more stuff should become available.

-

@ETP

If I compile tempicon in this release fonts are ok for me. I'll put it in PPM, I had the wrong pet for the network tray, easy fix.

-

@mikeslr

I'll get to vlc at some stage before release :wink:

-

@tlchost

Shinobar's sfs_load does allow more than 6 sfs in a session at least. I'm not going to change it at this point. There are sfs combiners around that are useful for smaller sfs files. I'll look into including one in PPM.

tlchost

#97 Post by tlchost »

@tlchost

Shinobar's sfs_load does allow more than 6 sfs in a session at least. I'm not going to change it at this point. There are sfs combiners around that are useful for smaller sfs files. I'll look into including one in PPM.
Thanks very much

tlchost

#98 Post by tlchost »

I can't seem to find the apps that give you control over which sfs files one wants loaded...or the "exec" one you mentioned.

Could be me...my dog stepped on my eye...so right now I'm monocular til it heals....hard to read.

Seems to me it would be so much simpler increasing the max number of sfs files one can load.

I found an sfs combiner from Fluppy that works....but the files it creates then needs to be coverted to a version that Slacko can use....I used the sfs converter inclused in Slacko...If I knew what I was doing, I'd change the code. Perhaps there is a combiner that works for Slacko?

I made sfs files of the latest opera and firefox and combined them. For some reason the icon does not show up in the menu, but does show in the opera.desktop file.

Thom

shinobar

blackscreen

#99 Post by shinobar »

01micko wrote:If you have video blackscreen at boot try:

pfix=ram i915.modeset=0
pfix=ram radeon.modeset=0
pfix=ram nouveau.modeset=0

depending on your card of course.
Another way is pfix=ram,nox for all cards. You need to type 'xorgwizard' and choose 'vesa'.

A problem is that some keyboard are hard to type special characters, or even alphabet if the keyboard is other than US.
@distributors, I propose the graphical boot menu with nox or safe mode options.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61132

But still it is hard to type 'xorgwizard' for QUERZ keyboads. we are better to give a dialog offering xorgwizard, what the Japanese versions do.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Billtoo

#100 Post by Billtoo »

01micko wrote:
01micko wrote:hmmmm....

On the hunt for a fix..

-

@Billtoo

I reckon retrovol is the problem with your fancy sound-blaster. It seems it can't handle all the entrys. alsamixer should be able to, just press TAB when you run out of options in one window and more stuff should become available.

-
I always use alsamixer and then exit and do alsactl store to set up
sound.
It seems that the Soundblaster Audigy 2 value (inexpensive) won't work
with any puppy.It works with slackware 14 though, same kernel too,
could it be that I need to load a module or something?

I put slackware 14.0rc3 on my Acer Revo nettop pc and then upgraded it
to slackware 14.0rc4, it's working great on this not so powerfull
computer.
Attachments
screenshot3.jpg
(30.37 KiB) Downloaded 1006 times

MinHundHettePerro

#101 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Hiya :)!

The version of Slacko I'm running (slacko-5.2.97-SCSI-PAE-HIGHMEM) has been my workhorse-puppy since its release in Oct -11. No complaints :), I just never really saw any reason to upgrade to the final release(s), since it was working so well and a lot of customisation had gone into my installation of this (pre-)release. Yes, I tried the official releases (and quite a few development rels, as well), and they worked as they should, just never bothered to upgrade 8).

Anyway, I am about to upgrade, mainly because I see the need for a "cleaner" save-file after almost eleven months of (ab)use.
Said, and done, I d'lded 5353 and gave it a first whirl and it seems to work on this machine, didn't try everything out, though. Now, given the reports of sound card-errors, I'm happy to relay that, fed a nice tune, my integrated intel snd blasted my ears away ... :) :).

Cheers :)/ MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

Billtoo

Slacko - next cycle -beta

#102 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to a 4gb flash drive plugged into an Acer Revo
nettop pc.

Slacko Puppy, version 5.3.5.3 on Mon 3 Sep 2012

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller
nVidia Corporation ION VGA (rev b1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: MCP79 Board - hornet-0 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: nouveau

X.Org version: 1.12.3
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (507x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes
Computer
Processor 4x Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU 330 @ 1.60GHz
Memory 1813MB (137MB used)
OpenGL
Vendor nouveau
Renderer Gallium 0.4 on NVAC
Version 2.1 Mesa 8.0.4
Direct Rendering Yes
# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
3631 frames in 5.0 seconds = 726.034 FPS
3542 frames in 5.0 seconds = 708.284 FPS
3540 frames in 5.0 seconds = 707.973 FPS

Network controller Ralink corp. RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe

The new beta is working well on this computer too :)
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(19.65 KiB) Downloaded 1091 times

01micko

#103 Post by 01micko »

Billtoo wrote: It seems that the Soundblaster Audigy 2 value (inexpensive) won't work...
Are these the ones around USD$40.00?

If so I could (should) probably get one... my internal card is broken on my main box so I use a cheapy Behringer usb card which always works when I use the multiple sound card wizard and adjust retrovol.

Billtoo

#104 Post by Billtoo »

01micko wrote:
Billtoo wrote: It seems that the Soundblaster Audigy 2 value (inexpensive) won't work...
Are these the ones around USD$40.00?

If so I could (should) probably get one... my internal card is broken on my main box so I use a cheapy Behringer usb card which always works when I use the multiple sound card wizard and adjust retrovol.
I've had that card for a few years so I'm not sure if it's even available now, probably plenty on ebay.
I bought an soundblaster audigy se last week for less than $40.00 at staples, it works great with slacko on my old hp a810n desktop.

sunilrathaur

slacko next cycle

#105 Post by sunilrathaur »

tried slacko 5.3.5.3 on my Lenovo G570 laptop screen hangs immediately ,mouse not working after booting up tried tweaking xorgwizard not successful. slacko 5.3.3.2 working fine

Jasper

#106 Post by Jasper »

Hi tlchost,

Try the link I gave, scroll down a few lines to "SFSdirload-standalone-0.3.pet". ALL sfs files in any chosen directory does not impose a limit of 6 files.

Personally, I would not combine any sfs files where I would, or might, want to update any one of them at some future date. It's a lot of extra effort to remake, especially when, if desired, you can load all files at once.

Also, if your RAM is sufficient not to limit your needs, then sometimes a pet might be preferred over an sfs e.g. so that a backup could be made before updating Opera (or Firefox) easily and quickly when running the program.

My regards

tlchost

#107 Post by tlchost »

[quote="Jasper"]Hi tlchost,

Try the link I gave, scroll down a few lines to "SFSdirload-standalone-0.3.pet". ALL sfs files in any chosen directory does not impose a limit of 6 files.
[quote]
OK....I'll try that....wonder if it works with fluppy...as I use some of the sdame sfs files there that I do in Slacko.

Right now I have both Slacko and Fluppy on the same USB stick.

Thanks
Thom

Jasper

#108 Post by Jasper »

Hi tlchost,

I don't know if it works in Fluppy, but there is a good chance it will and if (just to be extra safe) you backup first it can do no harm to try it.

My regards

jplt

#109 Post by jplt »

I have the same problem with precise !

I boot directly to the command line before and after creating a save file !

--
report-video :
--
Slacko Puppy, version 5.3.5.3 on mer. 5 sept. 2012

Chip description:
5.0 VGA compatible controller
nVidia Corporation C51 [GeForce 6150 LE] (rev a2)
oem: NVIDIA
product: Crush50 Board - c51pvg0 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: nouveau

X.Org version: 1.12.3
dimensions: 1920x1200 pixels (507x317 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

--
HardInfo :
--
Computer
Processor 2x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
Memory 3568MB (301MB used)
Operating System Unknown distribution
User Name root (root)
Date/Time mer. 05 sept. 2012 00:29:59 CEST
Display
Resolution 1920x1200 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Gallium 0.4 on NV4E
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

01micko

alsa ...

#110 Post by 01micko »

i have made possibly a significant discovery with alsa.

As we know, alsa is far from perfect. Recently, my onboard sound died and I have been using a usb cheapy. When I plugged my radoen graphics card in the usb card became card 2 (onboard 0, radeon hdmi 1).

I disbaled the onboard in bios and it became 1. No probs, set it up with MultipleSoundCardWizard. Too easy.

Ok, so I took out the radeon and am now using the onboard nvidia graphics, I normally run a card, it's faster, frees up machine RAM, plus more VRAM. However, with no other sound cards the stupid usb thing still shows up as card 1! Of course alsa spat the dummy! No sound :? .

So, ever the tweaker I decided to investigate. Well, running aplay -l certainly confirmed that the card is indeed number 1. I could get sound no problems with gnome-mplayer (it can talk to the card directly), even setup retrovol (manually) no problem but alsa itself still wasn't working.

So, it dawned on me to run MultipleSoundCardWizard and select the one and only #1. Rebooted and it's all good.

I just wonder how many others could solve their sound issues this easily? It will be going into the release notes.