Slacko 5.4 - FINAL 2 Dec 2012

News, happenings
RSH

#706 Post by RSH »

Hi.
On a side note, is there a way to DL packages but not install them, and then use some pet2sfs thing to turn a whole Dir into a sfs?
Usually only applications that download with its dependencies can be saved without to install (from the package manager).

For the other applications just install them and then use gnewpet by jpeps to recreate the installed .pet (application - should work also on installed .deb files).

To turn a complete directory into a single sfs use LazY PaDS (combines .pet and .deb files from a directory into a single sfs).

Both are in the Forums Utilities Section.
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

drblock2

VirtualBox

#707 Post by drblock2 »

TheAsterisk's VirtualBox installer virtualbox-4.2.4-x86_src.install.pet works magnificently in Slacko 5.4 PAE K3.4.17. You can get it here:

http://www.silverdollarsolutions.com/Pu ... guide.html

Install the Slacko 5.4 devx and k3.4.17 kernel sources and then run the pet.

Bravo! and Three Cheers for TheAskerisk!

I would strongly recommend against attempting to install VirtualBox from Oracle's run files. I tried several versions that had installed successfully on previous Puppies. The best you can hope for is simple failure (terminated signal -9) on launching the virtual machine, more likely is a complete freeze up requiring a reset with the hardware button on the box. This can lead to file system corruption (in the one case where this happened, I was fortunately able to use Windows XP's chkdsk to repair damage to my FAT32 partition).

See the VirtualBox thread:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... d9e71b6768

for further information on this problem.

Fishy

Cailbre in Slacko 5.4 Not Installing

#708 Post by Fishy »

I have devx5.4.sfs installed and have installed python separately as well. Python not found still appears when installing Calibre, an ebook management program. I haven't had this problem in a long time. Missing link somewhere? :?

Thanks for a very nice OS. :D

jrb

keeping PPM installed packages

#709 Post by jrb »

Hi All,
I'm sure I saw someone in one of the Slacko5.4 threads asking about keeping the packages that PPM downloads and then installs, but I can't find it. :oops:

Anyway here's a .pet with modified downloadpkgs.sh and installpkg.sh that will install the packages but leave the downloaded packages in /root. You just have to move them to where you want them.

Only briefly tested, so use at your own risk. :shock:

Cheers, J

EDIT!: If you're happy with this one, fine, but there's a better one down the page. 8)
Attachments
petget_keep_slacko_5.4-0.1.pet
Will leave downloaded packages in /root
(13.37 KiB) Downloaded 869 times
Last edited by jrb on Thu 13 Dec 2012, 05:42, edited 1 time in total.

tlchost

Re: keeping PPM installed packages

#710 Post by tlchost »

jrb wrote:Hi All,

Anyway here's a .pet with modified downloadpkgs.sh and installpkg.sh that will install the packages but leave the downloaded packages in /root. You just have to move them to where you want them.
Fantastic! Thanks a lot

Thom

TheAsterisk!

Re: VirtualBox

#711 Post by TheAsterisk! »

drblock2 wrote:TheAsterisk's VirtualBox installer virtualbox-4.2.4-x86_src.install.pet works magnificently in Slacko 5.4 PAE K3.4.17. You can get it here...
Bravo! and Three Cheers for TheAskerisk!
I saw your post in the VirtualBox thread, and snuck in here to take a look. Happy to help, and thanks!

I'm sorry I've gotten a bit behind in the Puppy world- work and family issues and a new (used) car to pay for- but I'll be getting some updated VBox packages uploaded either tonight or tomorrow, including some for Slacko 5.4. (My other packages will see updates very soon, too!)

Puppy Prosperity in Perpetuity!

666philb

#712 Post by 666philb »

i made a .pet of gtk-youtube-viewer for the new slacko http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76835
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

mill0001

Delta-x Upgrade?

#713 Post by mill0001 »

@smokey01
Hi, just want to say thanks for an excellent version of Puppy. I'm using 5.3.3. I thought it would be cool to upgrade to new 5.4, but can't get my savefile from 5.3.3 to work with your newest version. Tried several different ways and will only boot to prompt. I was wondering if it would be possible to make like a delta-x file to upgrade my 5.3.3 to 5.4. I remember some of the earlier versions of I think Lupu had this feature when new versions came out. Could you do this with your Slacko versions? I think that would be really cool if you could and I bet there are a lot more folks out there that would love it also. I have other puppy versions installed on this box, but Slacko-5.3.3 is my daily driver and I don't want to change unless I can easily get the newest version. Thank you for your fine work.
Lee

gcmartin

Re: VirtualBox

#714 Post by gcmartin »

drblock2 wrote:TheAsterisk's VirtualBox installer virtualbox-4.2.4-x86_src.install.pet works magnificently in Slacko 5.4 PAE K3.4.17. You can get it here:

Install the Slacko 5.4 devx and k3.4.17 kernel sources and then run the pet. ...
I see the following:Questions
  1. Where should the kernel source be found?
  2. How should it be installed?
There is a Slackware kernel source reference in the Slacko PPM, but, not the same number you show.

Thanks in advance

CatDude

#715 Post by CatDude »

Hello gcmartin
when drblock2 wrote:TheAsterisk's VirtualBox installer virtualbox-4.2.4-x86_src.install.pet works magnificently in Slacko 5.4 PAE K3.4.17. You can get it here:

Install the Slacko 5.4 devx and k3.4.17 kernel sources and then run the pet. ...
He was refering to this package: virtualbox-4.2.4-x86_src.install.pet
It is near the bottom of the page he linked to, under the heading: Alternative Source-Based Installer

gcmartin wrote:..
Questions
  1. Where should the kernel source be found?
  2. How should it be installed?
There is a Slackware kernel source reference in the Slacko PPM, but, not the same number you show.
As i suspect you are well aware, Slacko comes in a variety of flavours.
Below is a snippet from the Official announcement
Slacko 5.4 is available with a choice of kernels, 3.2.33 compiled for processors that do not support PAE and 3.4.17 for processors that do. The 4g (non PAE) version comes with a choice of Opera browser or Firefox
So, get the appropriate devx for your particular version (from where you got your ISO image)
then use the Sfs manager (not the PPM) to get the kernel sources.
It should offer the correct file for your version,
one of these two.
  • kernel_sources-3.2.33-slacko_4g.sfs
    kernel_sources-3.4.17-slacko_PAE.sfs
Load them by whatever method you prefer,
either the usual way via the BootManager or the alternative way via SFS-Load-on-the-fly

After that has been done, you can install the virtualbox-4.2.4-x86_src.install.pet

Hope this helps
CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

jrb

#716 Post by jrb »

In regard to the .pet I posted above I've had a request to build in a screen asking where the user wants to save downloaded packages. 8) Unfortunately I'm not very good at building such screens. :oops:

But what I have just done is changed the .pet so all downloaded packages are moved into /root/Downloaded_Packages. This folder will be created with your first download. This folder can then be moved wherever you want (maybe /mnt/home) using ROX and then symlinked back into /root. Future packages will then follow the symlink into /mnt/home/Downloaded_Packages.

Besides I've found out with the first .pet that packages disappear if you choose "trim the fat". That doesn't happen with this one. :D
Attachments
petget_keep_slacko54-0.2.pet
Downloaded packages are saved in /root/Downloaded_Packages and not deleted.
(13.4 KiB) Downloaded 822 times

tlchost

#717 Post by tlchost »

jrb wrote:
But what I have just done is changed the .pet so all downloaded packages are moved into /root/Downloaded_Packages. This folder will be created with your first download. This folder can then be moved wherever you want (maybe /mnt/home) using ROX and then symlinked back into /root. Future packages will then follow the symlink into /mnt/home/Downloaded_Packages.
Shame on you...in addition to all those good features, it also saves the deps...so you can now add them to your local library.

Thanks.....you do good stuff!

Thom

arcanis

CONGRATULATIONS!

#718 Post by arcanis »

I just read the review of Slacko 5.4 in the news section of Distrowatch, and what a great review it was.
Great work, Micko1 and team! I have to admit, I agree with Jesse (the reviewer) that this is the smoothest experience I've had with Puppy so far, and I have always liked Puppy a lot more than he.
Also, I tried every version of Puppy I have in my collection of CD's, which may be all of them, and Slacko 5.4 is the only one that would boot into my wife's HP Pavilion G7 notebook with a graphical environment and wireless detection out of the box. :D :D :D

ally

#719 Post by ally »

@arcanis

I starting collecting puppy iso's and went a little mad and now have 993 builds

I too am a massive slacko fan and have found that it runs on every machine I try it on without complaint (IBM t21's, lenovo t61, amd dual core desktop, dell p4's and eeepc's)

I have had to migrate back to 5.3.3 but will be back to 5.4 if I can resolve the hdd hang

:)

8-bit

#720 Post by 8-bit »

ally,

Please explain further the "hard drive hang".
IOW, is this during the boot or later on?
And what type of install are you using as well as the type of partition you are installing to?

8-bit

#721 Post by 8-bit »

In a frugal install of Slacko 5.4 FINAL to an ext2 partition, I completely removed all files listed for the install of Firefox and installed Seamonkey from a PET file. I then updated Seamonkey to the latest version, not beta.
I seem to have two .mozilla directories.
One is in /root that I have removed and created a system link to the one I have in /mnt/home.
The other is in /usr/lib and was created when I installed FlashPlayer version 10 something.
My problem is that I am still getting keyboard input stall and then play catchup as well as videos doing the same with the audio outpacing the video.
The keyboard hesitation showed itself while I was typing this post as a matter of fact.
What do you think I should look for to solve this problem?

rodin.s

mtPaint and mhWaveEdit

#722 Post by rodin.s »

I am trying to make Russian remastering of Slacko-5.4 and I found out that mtPaint and mhWaveEdit cannot be translated using mo-files. I had to install mtPaint from here and mhWaveEdit from here
Also Transmission menu entry (transmission-gtk.desktop) is strange, it has a lot of text and only last line "Start Transmission minimized" used in menu.
Last edited by rodin.s on Mon 24 Dec 2012, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.

ally

#723 Post by ally »

@8-bit

the hang seems to have been documented on the other 5.4 thread as save-file so assuming the same problem

lenovo t61/dell gx620 both frugal ext2 installs:

at seeming random intervals the system will hang when trying to mount/ or access drives and partitions, the t61 has 4 partitions across 2 drives and it will take an age to mount or access a variety on partitions - the same happens singularly on the dell as it only has one drove/partition

otherwise the it works well but the hanging was a real problem - this was using the firefox build but did try the PAE version on the t61 (4Gb) but same result

:)

Sage

#724 Post by Sage »

Just a small matter, mick, but one that causes minor irritation every time one boots up a liveCD. The 'A' parameter, the first in the Quickset panel, has the USA as default even after a pfix=ram,nox start. I suppose one could add lang=en or gb, w.h.y., but it's a matter of polish, perhaps, that has been rectified by at least one other Pup developer. It wouldn't rankle so much if it opened at Oz, as does the bland pfix=ram with Perth in the timezone. Folks who use Slacko in some installed format don't have to set defaults, but if you use it as a liveCD to fix half-a-dozen 'bent' machines a day, you can imagine how irksome it becomes!
Happy New Year!

rodin.s

Xdialog with no i18n support

#725 Post by rodin.s »

While making Russian remastered version of Slacko I found out that Xdialog does not support i18n. I tried to take one from Precise. Xdialog in Precise supports i18n but it has "Ok - Cancel" instead of "Yes - No". So I downloaded source from xdialog.free.fr and compiled it myself:

Code: Select all

./configure --with-gtk2 --prefix=/usr
It supports i18n and has correct "Yes - No" buttons. Works in Precise as well.
Attachments
Xdialog-2.3.1-i486.pet
Xdialog, compiled in Slacko-5.4 with i18n and "Yes-No"
(32.18 KiB) Downloaded 691 times