Slacko 5.4 - FINAL 2 Dec 2012

News, happenings
majorfoo

#541 Post by majorfoo »

D/L PAE version and did full install to ext4 partition.

Added several pets from storage partition and everything I have checked is working. No problems to report.

Great job!!!

01micko

#542 Post by 01micko »

MinHundHettePerro wrote:... Did like pemasu, copied /usr/lib/gconv/gconv-modules.cache from precise .iso - and mplayer worked (as well as gtk-youtube-viewer).

The experimentalist in me got the better of me, so I deleted /usr/lib/gconv/gconv-modules.cache and tried again, sometimes mplayer worked, sometimes not ...

copied /usr/lib/gconv/gconv-modules.cache in again - sometimes mplayer worked, sometimes not ...

Inconsistency!!!
Maybe because it's not native..

As I posted on BK's blog slackware doesn't ship the file, you have to generate it. If you have devx loaded run:

Code: Select all

iconvconfig
That's it.

Just now have to find the right place to run it in the initial startup routine... or maybe I'll just hack 3builddistro and run it in chroot, then that saves me that headache.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

grump

#543 Post by grump »

5.3.7.1 made a bit of a mess of my previously nice working live cd 5.3.6.5 system. However, if I can fix the menus I'll be happy again - the second click just shows a large number of identical entries -
eg Desktop>Desktop Settings > shows 'GTK Theme Chooser' many times, and these entries don't respond to clicks. So I'm back to lupo for the time being.

Any advice?

01micko

#544 Post by 01micko »

mavrothal wrote: Updated 5.3.6.5 to 5.3.7.1 (FF non PAE). No (wired) network, no interface or module to be found! No sound, no kernel modules other than the ones loaded in the init. Reboot, same thing.
Run "depmod -a" and reboot, Bingo! :wink:
You might need to look at your kernel/rc.sysinit
Ok, so I built (not to be released) 5.3.7.5 and updated my stick that went from 5.3.6.5 > 5.3.7.1 > 5.3.7.5 and it worked, no reboot or anything. i just wonder if it's a carry over bug from the older version.

-

grump, if you have a directory at /usr/share/applications/ked4 and it's a symlink, delete it. This is beta testing so unexpected things can and do happen in upgrades as we try and make things stable. Always backup the save before upgrading!

grump

#545 Post by grump »

Ran a pfix=purge when starting 5.3.6.5 and it looked and ran ok. I found the kde4 symlink and zapped it even though although the menus were ok this time.

Restarted with 5.3.7.1 and everything is running smoothly ...

mavrothal

#546 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote:
mavrothal wrote: Updated 5.3.6.5 to 5.3.7.1 (FF non PAE). No (wired) network, no interface or module to be found! No sound, no kernel modules other than the ones loaded in the init. Reboot, same thing.
Run "depmod -a" and reboot, Bingo! :wink:
You might need to look at your kernel/rc.sysinit
Ok, so I built (not to be released) 5.3.7.5 and updated my stick that went from 5.3.6.5 > 5.3.7.1 > 5.3.7.5 and it worked, no reboot or anything. i just wonder if it's a carry over bug from the older version.
Could be. When I checked /lib/modules where 3 kernels so was something before 5.3.6.5 (with an earlier kernel)

On another matter. Any progress on getting Alsawizard going? On the XOs sound fails and multiple card wizard does not do much :cry:
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Billtoo

Slacko - beta4 [5.4]

#547 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to a 4gb flash drive running on an eeepc 701
netbook pc.
There is a 1440x900 monitor connected to the eeepc along with a
wireless keyboard and mouse.
Report Video 1.4 -Thu 8 Nov 2012 on Slacko Puppy 5.3.7.1 Linux 3.4.17-PAE i686

Chip description:
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile
915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 04)
oem: Intel(r)915GM/910ML/915MS Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(r)915GM/910ML/915MS Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg Driver used: intel

X.Org version: 1.12.3
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (380x238 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

Computer
Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor 900MHz
Memory 500MB (71MB used)
Input Devices
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
Chicony 2.4G Multimedia Wireless Kit
SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
Chicony 2.4G Multimedia Wireless Kit
OpenGL
Vendor Tungsten Graphics, Inc
Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) 915GM x86/MMX/SSE2
Version 1.4 Mesa 8.0.4
Direct Rendering Yes
# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
209 frames in 5.0 seconds = 41.689 FPS
286 frames in 5.0 seconds = 57.126 FPS
246 frames in 5.0 seconds = 48.862 FPS
Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter

It's working pretty well, I have another flash drive with the non pae version
and will test that for comparison later.

EDIT:Not much difference as far as temperature goes.
I installed kdegames, that requires a fast flash drive and lots of
patience for something that big :)

EDIT:The slacko 5365 install on my imac turned 21 this morning :)
Attachments
uptime.jpg
(23.88 KiB) Downloaded 781 times
nonpae.jpg
(42.91 KiB) Downloaded 1018 times
screenshot.jpg
(65.27 KiB) Downloaded 1051 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Fri 09 Nov 2012, 12:13, edited 2 times in total.

CatDude

#548 Post by CatDude »

Hey Mick,
looks like you left something behind mate. :lol:
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

Sage

#549 Post by Sage »

Be proud all you late-night Aussies:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20071644
world+dog is grateful.
[It's (almost) relevant, mick, so hope you can tolerate it in your thread!]

Jades

#550 Post by Jades »

The following relates to running LiveCD installs of 5.3.7.1. on my Pentium D.
01micko wrote:
Jades wrote:I've found that I can't create save files on my NTFS-formatted hard drive again
Ok, now what to try here..
I'm finally feeling quite a lot better, so here's a detailed description of what I do from a pfix=ram boot - this is the standard procedure I use all the time when creating a new save.

On Quick Setup I use the following settings:-

Language: en_GB
UTF-8 off
Timezone: Europe/London
Hardware clock set to UTC: unticked
Keyboard layout: UK
Numlock is ticked.

After hitting OK and restarting the X-Server, I then load the file with my WiFi settings on from a memory stick and proceed to set up wireless networking using Network Wizard and Static IP addresses, I then set up the firewall.

Next, I run GetFlash and download the latest version of Flash Player. Once that's installed I then run PPM and install a couple of Pets. I then run Opera, set it up and take a quick look at the forum then quit Opera and choose Shutdown->Reboot from the menu.

I choose to create a save file and usually select the following options:-

Partition is sda1
Save file file system is ext4
Save size 512MB
Save file is named, typically including a short version number (5371new) - so, for example, the save will be called slackosave-5371new.4fs
Saved into folder PuppyFiles

It then gets on with creating the save, and then asks me if I want to copy the main SFS - I select no as it's already on the drive.

The machine then reboots, I choose to boot from the LiveCD and select the new save on sda1 from the menu.
01micko wrote:Can you mount ntfs ordinarily?
Yes, including on the broken saves, I usually don't bother mounting sda1 (the NTFS partition) on the initial setup.
01micko wrote:Does an attempt to make the save happen at all?
Any error message? There is supposed to be one if ntfs gets mounted read only.
The attempt to make the save appears to complete normally, and no errors are shown while it's being created or at any time before the machine reboots. The only sign anything is awry is once it's tried to boot off the new save.

It initially seems to boot normally but the last bit of the sequence before the desktop comes up reads like it's doing another pfix=ram start. Once it has got to the desktop, it looks like I've shown in the previous screen shots and QuickSetup runs again as if it's a fresh boot. The missing icons are the most obvious sign something has gone wrong, but I have to set up everything from scratch. Even the pets I installed in the initial session are missing.
01micko wrote:This doesn't happen often, but the cause is a failure to remount the save file at first shutdown.
The problem I'm reporting is happening every single time I try to create a save on the NTFS partition. The odd thing is that existing saves from previous versions upgrade and work fine, as will new saves created on a FAT32 device and copied to the NTFS partition (i.e. in Windows or a pfix=ram boot).
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

Jades

#551 Post by Jades »

Further to my previous post, I've been having a play with one of the broken 5.3.7.1 saves after booting it for the first time. I went through all of the setting up again, installed a couple of pets and rebooted.

This time, the second time the save was booted, all of the settings were remembered including networking and the pets were still installed and listed in PPM. The icons and backdrop were still missing, however.

Opera runs, however the menus usually appear as plain black blocks. Occasionally some text can be seen but it appears odd. Actual browsing seems to work normally. I've also checked Gnumeric and Abiword and the menus are fine in that.

mtPaint won't run from on the desktop icon or the Menu. Trying to call it from the console results in the following:-

(mtpaint:15163) : GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Error loading XPM image loader: Image type 'xpm' is not supported

(mtpaint:15163): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_pixmap_new: assertion `val != NULL' failed

(mtpaint:15163): Glib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Segmentation fault
Attempting to choose any backdrop image in Nathan Wallpaper setup pops up the following error (obviously the filename is different):-

Error loading backdrop image:
Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/backgrounds/electric_guitar.jpg'
Backdrop removed.
Attempting to actually view an image in /usr/share/backgrounds/ does bring up Viewnior, but all that's shown is a 'no-entry' icon and the message "The given locations contain no images." In fact, attempting to load any image from anywhere gives that error.

As I said previously, it's producing quite broken saves.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]

zigbert

#552 Post by zigbert »

01micko wrote:
zigbert wrote:Pburn is not the latest,
Ok, my mistake, was supposed to be, can you check all your others are the latest?
I will check
01micko wrote:
zigbert wrote:As in Slacko 5.3.3 I don't get any contact with my keybaord to control the Grub menu.
But you can use up/down keys to navigate the menu? This would be a bug in grub. We'll see what I can do
I can not navigate by up/down key. Well, it must be said that _sometimes_ I can, but it is so rare that I don't bother try. Ii is far easier to just edit menu.lst
01micko wrote:
zigbert wrote: I have a recent Amd radeon card. Slacko 5.4 got me straight to desktop at first run. This part is better than I thought, but as expected, it could not give me full HD resolution. Slacko 5.3.3 had slickpet that guided me through the installation of ATI catalyst pack. What do you expect me to now? I am both a newbie and an idiot.
There is a bug in Barry's first run which does not list all available refresh rates. Does a resolution for you at least get listed?
No, not listed. But in xorgwizard, there are more non-working resolutions.
01micko wrote:
zigbert wrote:I can't connect to internet.
The logfile shows that we are closer than in beta3, but this is a bit out of my department, so I better just ship the log..
Ok, Do this:
  • boot
  • try sns
  • ok it fails
  • close sns
  • unplug and replug the device
  • try sns again
Done - no go

Thank you
Sigmund

Jades

#553 Post by Jades »

01micko wrote:run gtk-pixbuf-query-loaders --update-cache, reset the wallpaper then things will be fine.
Out of curiosity, I tried that command on one of the broken saves and got the message

bash: gtk-pixbuf-query-loaders: command not found
I then tried a Google search which suggested gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders --update-cache and after entering that command I can view images again and mtPaint now works. I could also see the icons in Quick Setup again. Desktop icons reappeared after restarting the X Server and I could also then set a backdrop image.

No idea why it only broke on saving to NTFS, or why it lost the settings and installed after the first boot from the new save.

Edit: I then rebooted and everything appears to be fine, including the menus in Opera. Wierd.

grump

#554 Post by grump »

Jades - Try defragging before you try a new puup version.

I sometimes (well, often) get the upside-down triangle icons on the first reboot after trying out a new puppy with a new savefile (.3fs) on a NTFS partition. If I then delete the save file and defrag the partition (with WinXP) and start over the new install usually goes ok and subsequent reboots are good. I only have about 10Gb spare on the partition I use for puppy saves on this old laptop.

01micko

#555 Post by 01micko »

Jades, yeah, good advice from grump.

You might even want to use a third party defrag tool as I find the one that ships with windows slow and inefficient. Even a few meg of non-contiguous blocks is enough to baulk a linux filesystem. NTFS is old technology, going back to the mid 90's without any significant advances.

The command I gave you was wrong, it supposed to read gdk, sorry about that.

gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders --update-cache
Restart X, reset wallpaper.

Jades

#556 Post by Jades »

grump wrote:Jades - Try defragging before you try a new puup version.
I did, several times, together with a couple of full error scans too just in case it was something to do with the drive. Didn't make a difference. There was also plenty of space on the drive (some 40GB) and the save itself always passed an fsck.

01micko

#557 Post by 01micko »

Sigmund

Can you please get me a kernel log of the failed internet connection. Follow the procedure I outlined earlier then run dmesg > somefile.gz.

Thank you.

bigpup

#558 Post by bigpup »

Jades,

Try this to cure your save file issues.
Initially boot Puppy and reboot to make a save file.
Make a save file before you do anything but very basic settings.
Do not install any program packages before you have made a save file and have booted using it.

The reason for this is several things.
Until you have a save file anything you do is in memory only. With 512 MB of memory, program packages, of some size, can eat it all up just to download and install. A pet package, in the process of download and install, will use about 3 times the needed installed space.
The downloaded compressed pet file, the uncompressed pet file contents, and finally the installed package.
After the install is complete, you may still have the downloaded pet file along with the installed package taking up space.

So good rule for Puppy is to make a save file and be booted using it before doing any package installs.

The other thing is, installs will look like they are being done OK even if memory fills up during the install process.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Jades

#559 Post by Jades »

bigpup wrote:Try this to cure your save file issues.
Initially boot Puppy and reboot to make a save file.
Make a save file before you do anything but very basic settings.
Funnily enough, that was one of the very first things I thought of checking, just before defragmenting and error-checking the drive. The save files were always 512MB and the total of the very few downloaded pets was barely 20MB. Space in the save, or the destination partition, wasn't the issue.

Just to be thorough, I've defragmented the drive again before creating a new save. This time I only did the basic setup, didn't install anything and with the exception of giving the file a name accepted all of the default options when creating the save. Same problems as before.

The ironic thing about this is that the installation which has benefited the most from trying to get to the bottom of this is actually the XP install! Not only is it well-and-truly defragmented, I also finally noticed I'd forgotten to grow the NTFS partition to the full size of the drive after I had to do a wipe and reinstall (my XP disc is pre-SP2 and the partition size limit of NTFS used to be 128GB).

01micko

#560 Post by 01micko »

Ok, thanks Jades

There is definitely some bug where the save file is created but not being mounted to save the session. It's possibly a timing issue. I think I'm onto it so if you can bear with me for a couple of days I'll post some shutdown scripts that attempt to fix the problem. You will be able to install them pfix=ram. Stay tuned.

BTW, did the new carl9170 firmware improve your wifi at all? It is in the 5.3.7.1 build.