Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 22 Sep 2014, 14:25
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
What directory do I extract SeaMonkey tarball to?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Eric_R

PostPosted: Fri 03 Aug 2012, 23:07    Post subject:  What directory do I extract SeaMonkey tarball to?
Subject description: SeaMonkey upgrade

I downloaded the tarball for Seamonkey 2.11. I'm running Slacko 5.3.3. What directory do I extract the tarball to?
Dewbie

PostPosted: Sat 04 Aug 2012, 00:00    Post subject:  

The 1.x versions of SeaMonkey install in /usr/local/ by default.
Starting with 2.x, user decides where to install.
Monsie

PostPosted: Sat 04 Aug 2012, 05:37    Post subject: What directory do I extract seamonkey tarball to?  

Eric_R,

I am running SeaMonkey 2.11 in Wary Puppy right now in /usr/local/lib directory. This is because it is in addition to the default version of SeaMonkey that is included with Wary. While you do have some flexibility in terms of where to install the browser, I recommend that you include the /local directory to be on the safe side, and also because in past, (example: V-2.9.1) the seamonkey shell script looked for the SeaMonkey executable along the /local directory pathway.

Monsie

OscarTalks

PostPosted: Sat 04 Aug 2012, 09:39    Post subject:  

If this is for doing an update then the tarball needs to be extracted to /usr/lib (or extract into /mnt/home and then move it afterwards), but before you do that you may want to rename the existing one in /usr/lib to something like seamonkeyold so you can restore back if you need to.

Monsie

PostPosted: Sat 04 Aug 2012, 19:40    Post subject: What directory do I extract seamonkey tarball to?  

OscarTalks wrote:
If this is for doing an update then the tarball needs to be extracted to /usr/lib (or extract into /mnt/home and then move it afterwards), but before you do that you may want to rename the existing one in /usr/lib to something like seamonkeyold so you can restore back if you need to.

Good point. Eric, if you are planning on replacing SeaMonkey 2.9.1 but want the option of being able to restore it, also backup your current .desktop file for SeaMonkey as well as a couple of shell scripts: defaultbrowser & mozstart because these may be overwritten also.

That said, the safer route is to install an updated version of SeaMonkey in addition to your existing version, rather than replace it... in my opinion.

Monsie

P.S. Please fix your typo in your subject heading, thanks.

dk60902

PostPosted: Sat 04 Aug 2012, 20:05    Post subject:  

I followed these instructions:

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/install-and-uninstall
Laie

PostPosted: Sun 05 Aug 2012, 15:34    Post subject:
Subject description: I updated Seamonkey today

Only some hours ago I visited the Seamonkey website, downloaded the version that was offered there and unpacked it to the tmp folder. Then I renamed the folder usr/lib/seamonkey to old_seamonkey_old. At last I moved the new directory seamonkey from tmp to usr/lib. I started seamonkey and was happy.
Monsie

PostPosted: Sun 05 Aug 2012, 17:15    Post subject: What directory do I extract seamonkey tarball to?  

Laie,

The question I have is: Can you undo your changes and revert to your default version of SeaMonkey without experiencing any glitches, any problems? If you cannot, then this is the basis for my strategy for installing SeaMonkey somewhere along the /local directory path. From looking at the release notes of the previous versions of SeaMonkey this year, there appear to be fewer issues now with installing the browser.

Dewbie wrote a thread over here about how to install another version of SeaMonkey 2x in Puppy... possibly he can answer this question.

Monsie

Dewbie

PostPosted: Sun 05 Aug 2012, 21:14    Post subject:  

Monsie wrote:
Quote:
Can you undo your changes and revert to your default version of SeaMonkey without experiencing any glitches, any problems?

I would imagine that could be done this way.
(If shinobar continues the SeaMonkey .sfs updates, that would be a much better solution than my method.)
dk60902

PostPosted: Sun 05 Aug 2012, 21:20    Post subject:  

I updated Seamonkey to 2.11 earlier today on my desktop with Slacko 5.3.3 frugal install. I created a directory "seamonkey2" in the root directory of my partition containing the frugal install. I downloaded the tarball to the seamonkey2 directory. I extracted it, and there was a new directory named "seamonkey". After opening the seamonkey directory, I dragged one of the icons (a gear shaped icon, can't remember the name as I'm on my Win7 machine) to the desktop. When I click on the icon, seamonkey launches. I replaced the gear shaped icon with another I downloaded. I do like the .sfs route as well.

The one issue is that I have the original Seamonkey 2.9.1 that came with Slacko, and probably should delete those files.

Last edited by dk60902 on Sun 19 Aug 2012, 00:44; edited 1 time in total
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Sun 05 Aug 2012, 22:45    Post subject:  

@Monsie

You could undo the changes very easily by deleting the new folder and renaming the old folder back to seamonkey, but there is no need because the substitution method works OK. I have deleted the old folder now on both my computers running Slacko 5.3.3

@dk60902

The new version of Seamonkey may launch from the icon, but what about the menu entry? The various shell scripts in the Slacko 5.3.3 system point to that binary (the gear shaped icon) at /usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey so in order to have everything work all you need to do is download the tarball (to /root or /mnt/home or almost anywhere), go into /usr/lib and delete the folder (and contents) named seamonkey, then extract the tarball directly into /usr/lib (or extract it elsewhere and then move it into /usr/lib). As you say, extracting the tarball creates just the one directory called seamonkey which replaces the deleted one and contains everything for the updated version. After you have done that you can delete the tarball.

dk60902

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug 2012, 00:11    Post subject:  

OscarTalks wrote:
@Monsie

You could undo the changes very easily by deleting the new folder and renaming the old folder back to seamonkey, but there is no need because the substitution method works OK. I have deleted the old folder now on both my computers running Slacko 5.3.3

@dk60902

The new version of Seamonkey may launch from the icon, but what about the menu entry? The various shell scripts in the Slacko 5.3.3 system point to that binary (the gear shaped icon) at /usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey so in order to have everything work all you need to do is download the tarball (to /root or /mnt/home or almost anywhere), go into /usr/lib and delete the folder (and contents) named seamonkey, then extract the tarball directly into /usr/lib (or extract it elsewhere and then move it into /usr/lib). As you say, extracting the tarball creates just the one directory called seamonkey which replaces the deleted one and contains everything for the updated version. After you have done that you can delete the tarball.

You're correct. The menu entry launches the old version. However, as I have a desktop icon, I always launch Seamonkey from that. I'll have to try your method. It sounds better from the way I did it.
Monsie

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug 2012, 01:39    Post subject: What directory do I extract seamonkey tarball to?  

Quote:

Interesting... OscarTalks, I am still wondering what happens to the browser shell scripts that I find in /usr/local/bin for my default version. At some point I will do some testing and give your method a try...

Dewbie wrote:
Monsie wrote:
Quote:
Can you undo your changes and revert to your default version of SeaMonkey without experiencing any glitches, any problems?

I would imagine that could be done this way.
(If shinobar continues the SeaMonkey .sfs updates, that would be a much better solution than my method.)

Dewbie, thanks for the info. I didn't realize that Shinobar had been working on SeaMonkey. Given a choice, this would appear to be the way to go...

Monsie

OscarTalks

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug 2012, 07:01    Post subject: Re: What directory do I extract seamonkey tarball to?  

Monsie wrote:
I am still wondering what happens to the browser shell scripts that I find in /usr/local/bin for my default version.

I don't think they are altered in any way by the folder substitution update method.

Open the scripts as text to see what they do.

You said you are using Wary so it may be slightly different, but in Slacko 5.3.3 :-

/usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser executes /usr/local/bin/mozstart which executes /usr/bin/mozilla which in turn executes /usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey

usr/bin/seamonkey is a symlink to usr/bin/mozilla which executes /usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey

the desktop file in /usr/share/applications executes /usr/bin/seamonkey

desktop icons will execute one of the above scripts

All roads lead to the main binary which needs to be at /usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey so if you have replaced the old folder with the newly extracted one you get the updated version.

I believe that with Wary / Racy you may also need to install dbus and dbus-glib from Puppy Package Manager.

dk60902

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug 2012, 21:55    Post subject:  

I deleted the seamonkey directory from usr/lib. I then downloaded the tarball to usr/lib and extracted it. There was a new seamonkey directory produced. However, when I launch seamonkey from the menu, it launches for a second or so and then crashes. Now sure why. I restored my savefile and left well enough alone. I have no problem launching from the desktop icon. If I launch from the menu, the old version, 2.9 comes up.
Page 1 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: