Hurrican

Play with your Puppy.
SFR

#16 Post by SFR »

Confirmed with Openbox - the resolution doesn't need to be reduced anymore.
But that specific sdl package is still needed.
Thanks Mick.

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

8-bit

#17 Post by 8-bit »

With Slacko 5.3.3, the sdl pet installed, nvidia driver installed, and dropping to prompt and restarting with "xwin openbox", the game starts.
But the full screen is oversize as it overlaps the edges and also the game screen is black.
So is this now a matter of getting and installing the ice window manager?
BTW, sound works, but black game screen.

SFR

#18 Post by SFR »

Hey 8-bit

The symptoms you write about suggest that JWM may still be in use, somehow..?
FYI: I've installed openbox_obconf-2.10 package (+ fbpanel-spup-1.03 as a dependency) from the main Slacko repo in PPM.
With IceWM too the game works ok for me, by the way.

As a last resort you could try the trick with resolution...

Hope this helps.
Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]

8-bit

#19 Post by 8-bit »

That seems like it was the case. I installed openbox window manager and that worked.
But now I just have to remember how to install the driver for my MS sidewinder USB gamepad.
It has been a while since I last did that and I honestly cannot remember how to or where I put the files needed.
Again though, I do not know if one can use a joystick with Hurrican.
Under controls, all I see is the keyboard listed.

8-bit

#20 Post by 8-bit »

I am trying to figure out all the keyboard controls and key combinations needed in this game and a lot of them say to press some key that is shown as (') or (") in the controls section and I am having problems trying to figure out what keys I can use.
I could use a key utility with my microsoft sidewinder USB gamepad, but I do not know if the game supports gamepads and joysticks either.
It is very hard to play a game that one does not know the keys for.
I know that "A" is walk left, "D" is walk right, "S" is crouch, RETURN is fire, and SPACE is jump.
But after that, I am lost.
Any help with a short text file I could refer to in learning the keys to control the player and his actions, weapons, game save, game load, etc. would be a great help.
The game site is partially in english and that does not help me.

SFR

#21 Post by SFR »

I see " also, instead of normal keys, but only in comments during tutorial stage.
Under Preferences -> Configure Controls I can see the keys and am able to redefine'em (see screenshot).
Did you try to redefine the keys?

To learn special combinations, you may take a look at raw tutorial text, it's in /usr/game/hurrican/english.lng
//---------- Tutorial Texts ----------//
Welcome to the Hurrican tutorial level. Here you'll learn the basic controls. You can move left and right by pressing KEY_LEFT or KEY_RIGHT. You can crouch by pressing KEY_CROUCH. Now look around a bit. There are more hints like this in this level.
[...]
The problem is that, for some reason, those "constants" like KEY_LEFT aren't converted and displayed as a real keys during the tutorial...

Greetings!
Attachments
keys.png
(106.1 KiB) Downloaded 411 times

scabz

#22 Post by scabz »

I can not seem to find the source code for this game, can sonmeone help me find it?

SFR

#23 Post by SFR »

scabz wrote:I can not seem to find the source code for this game, can sonmeone help me find it?
Scabz, check it out:
http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.p ... n-SDL-Port

Greetings!

scabz

#24 Post by scabz »

Thanks SFR

8-bit

#25 Post by 8-bit »

Thank you for the information on keyboard setup.
Now I really would like to get my multi-button ms sidewinder gamepad to work with the game.
But I cannot remember the steps needed to set it up as the last time I had it working was with Puppy 2.17!
I currently do not know if I have the gamepad set up correctly.
In the Hurrican Configuration screen, all that is shown is "keyboard" and pressing RETURN on it does not change it to Joystick.
I just think that using a joystick with the game would be nice.
Also, joystick is listed in the docs for it.