Canon Printer Drivers - Updated 2016

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
rcrsn51

Re: candi damages 2fs?

#196 Post by rcrsn51 »

Dromeno wrote:They all installed in lucid puppy 528 but after tat puppy would not boot anymore (dropped out of X after reboot)
???????

I just tested this myself with a clean frugal install of Lupu 528 using the four MG4200 Debian files. It worked exactly as expected.

I cannot see any way that it would break X unless your savefile got filled up or had some corruption.

In any case, I have attached v1.0.24 of the SANE Canon pixma driver below.

[Edit] No reply. After several downloads and no feedback, I have removed the attachment.

reedman

Canon Printer Drivers

#197 Post by reedman »

Several years ago, I waded into the friendly waters of this forum, with many questions. I had then (and have now) a (heretofore) trusty Dell Dimension 4500S, vintage 2002. It multi-boots Windows XP SP3, and three versions of puppy linux, with the most recent being the 5.25 Lupo iteration. Subsequent to a forced shutdown, a Windows file became corrupted, and would no longer boot. But of course, puppy does, flawlessly. I will not be restoring the Windows installation. It can sit there, while puppy continues to do all the hard labor, which he manages continually to look easy.

This circumstance led me to investigate puppy tahr 6.0.2, and what a revelation, as for my money, the distribution that can make any Microsoft acolyte wonder why they bother. Puppy is a grownup now, aging with grace, still as speedy and useful as ever.

Forum member rcrsn51 is an emblematic example of the kind of helpful, courteous, patient participant for which this forum is known, and upon whom I rely. I am not a linux geek, but with assistance like his, I don't need to be. Admission: I tried some other live distros as well: Mint, elementaryOS, Zorin, and one or two others. Eyecandy is good, but it doesn't get the work done, and nothing compares with the speed, organization, and stability of puppy. Long story short, I could not manage to get my Canon MG2520 scanner to work, except in puppy, thanks to rcrsn51, and his sweet little pet, candi.

So thank you. I am going to be walking this dog for a long time to come.

marcos90

#198 Post by marcos90 »

I would like to thanks rcrsn51 for the excellent tutorial, well explained to the beginners like me.
Thanks to this tutorial I could install my multifunctional Canon MG 2410 on Puppy 6.0.2 Tahr system.
Both Printer and Scanner are working perfectly :D

rcrsn51

#199 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. Candi v1.4 contains an additional script called candi-pet-maker. Read below.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 21 Apr 2016, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

starhawk

#200 Post by starhawk »

OMG you're back!

Thought you'd left us forever.

LOL.

You'll be glad to know I got my printer issue sorted so I won't be bugging you about that again for a while.

steve_s

#201 Post by steve_s »

All hail rcrsn51!

Got the Canon Pixma MG2520 working on this flash drive driven Compaq Presario fully from this thread! Great thanks! 8)

rcrsn51

#202 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. Candi v1.4 has a new tool called candi-pet-maker. It creates a ready-to-use PET installer from the Canon Debian driver packages.

1. Create a temporary folder with a descriptive name, like canon_ip2700-3.30. It MUST have a version number on the end.
2. Copy the two Canon .deb files into the folder.
3. Go into the folder, open a terminal window and run: candi-pet-maker
4. The PET will be saved in the parent folder.
5. Copy it to a safe location for the next time you need to install the printer.

Update: Candi-pet-maker can make combo print/scan PETs. Just copy all four DEBs into your source folder.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Tue 25 Aug 2015, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.

perdido

#203 Post by perdido »

rcrsn51 wrote:Excellent. Candi v1.4 has a new tool called candi-petmaker. It creates a ready-to-use PET installer from the Canon Debian driver packages.

1. Create a temporary folder with a descriptive name, like canon_ip2700-3.30. It MUST have a version number on the end.
2. Copy the two Canon .deb files into the folder.
3. Go into the folder, open a terminal window and run: candi-pet-maker
4. The PET will be saved in the parent folder.
5. Copy it to a safe location for the next time you need to install the printer.
candi-pet-maker worked fine in Precise 5.7.1

I see a possible alternate use for candi-pet-maker. It can make a .pet file from any number of .deb packages, not just the canon drivers packages. (think program + dependencies)

Muchas Gracias!

rcrsn51

#204 Post by rcrsn51 »

perdido wrote:candi-pet-maker worked fine in Precise 5.7.1
Thanks for testing this. What model of Canon printer do you have?
I see a possible alternate use for candi-pet-maker. It can make a .pet file from any number of .deb packages, not just the canon drivers packages. (think program + dependencies)
Most of the code in candi-pet-maker is specific to Canon printer/scanners. To make a general-purpose DEB-to-PET tool, just take lines 1-7 and 38-43. There may already be a similar tool somewhere on the forum.

But be aware than many DEBs have post-install scripts with extra commands that may not work in Puppy.

perdido

#205 Post by perdido »

rcrsn51 wrote: Thanks for testing this. What model of Canon printer do you have?
Most of the code in candi-pet-maker is specific to Canon printer/scanners. To make a general-purpose DEB-to-PET tool, just take lines 1-7 and 38-43. There may already be a similar tool somewhere on the forum.

But be aware than many DEBs have post-install scripts with extra commands that may not work in Puppy.
Hello rcrsn51, I apologise for the late reply, did not see this. I do not have the canon printer to install this, I tested the script and it ran with no errors so the script appears to work fine but I do not report a working canon printer.

Thanks for the additional info about the tool, maybe play with it some more making pets :)

Dpup

Candi-1.4 Canon IP110 Portable Inkjet

#206 Post by Dpup »

Want to report that using Candi-1.4 pet installed for supporting Canon V5 Linux driver from Canon support site for new Canon IP110 portable inkjet installed smoothly for both USB as well as wireless printing in Puppy Linux Tahr 6.0.3. Can easily switch between USB and wireless on several computers.

Was very uneasy after reading many complaints by users that the new IP110 is difficult to setup or to understand poorly written complex instructions and issues about the driver software and lack of support for Linux from Canon. But I did not encounter any issues installing for Linux, Windows, or Android. The Android tablet installation was accomplished by my 2 year old grand daughter... to her it was like the lighted push button learning to count, recognizing letters and number games she plays.

Thanks again for making the Linux installation so easy.

irishrm

#207 Post by irishrm »

I would also like to thank rcrsn51 for this tutorial. I was able it install my canon mg2950 in tahrpup 6.5. Both printer and scanner working perfectly.

Tried to install in slacko64 but the 64bit drivers did not install.

Thanks again.

irishrm.

ninotix

#208 Post by ninotix »

Can somebody pls. upload cnijfilter-ip2200-2.60 pet file? I had driver for my old printer,but i lost it and it is not available for download anymore on the forum. Thnx

TheNH813

Dead download link, drivers don't work.

#209 Post by TheNH813 »

What happened to the iP1800 download link? It's dead.
Anyway, I was able to get cnijfilter-ip1800series from Canon's website.
It doesn't work. The printer is added successfully, but it just dosen't print.
Absolutely no errors of any kind, and I have no idea what's wrong.
Tried both the package you made and the common package from Canon
Neither work. Any suggestion?

rcrsn51

#210 Post by rcrsn51 »

Please read the instructions on the main post. It doesn't sound like you have followed them correctly.

In your case, you need two RPM packages.

NuclearOrangutan

#211 Post by NuclearOrangutan »

Update: Most old Canon printers only have 32bit drivers, but some new models also have 64bit versions. You may be able to install these in Tahr64 using candi. This is untested.
tahrpup64-6.0.5 Candi works for .deb from Canon MG2500 series.

Thanks for your efforts.

rcrsn51

#212 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. Thank you for reporting this.

mleschishin

#213 Post by mleschishin »

Candi worked flawlessly in setting up my Canon MG5320 printer using MG5300 series deb packages on Puppy Precise 5.7.1 per the updated instructions on page 1. Many many thanks, rcrsn51, for your printer expertise and contributions to this forum - from one Canuck to another!

Mark

rcrsn51

#214 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. Now that you have downloaded the DEBs, you should run candi-pet-maker and make a permanent print/scan driver PET for your model.

maniek

Install driver for canon ip1900

#215 Post by maniek »

I wanna find a driver for this printner from this link http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47444 but link was dissable where i get this
under the slacko 6.3.2