Canon Printer Drivers - Updated 2016

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
rcrsn51

#181 Post by rcrsn51 »

I have posted a link to an MX510 printer driver here. Click the small grey Download button on the left.

If your remote user can install it successfully, we can look at the scanner driver.

prnt_prbl

#182 Post by prnt_prbl »

Thx a lot man. I must have overlooked that post, I thought I went over all 12 pages in your thread :oops:

I will email this file to the user and we will see tomorrow if it works.
The PET installs like any other PET? Just click and it will place drivers in the correct place? And then the printer will show up?

Or is it first to run the PET and then run the CUPS /localhost/631 and go to the administration part?

And just to be sure, the printer must be turned on before starting the install, yes?

Thx for this great thread. I will post link in my thread to your download if that is ok.

rcrsn51

#183 Post by rcrsn51 »

prnt_prbl wrote:Thx a lot man. I must have overlooked that post, I thought I went over all 12 pages in your thread
I just made it.
The PET installs like any other PET? Just click and it will place drivers in the correct place?
Yes.
And then the printer will show up?
No.
Or is it first to run the PET and then run the CUPS /localhost/631 and go to the administration part?
Yes. Is the printer local USB or networked?
And just to be sure, the printer must be turned on before starting the install, yes?
Yes.

prnt_prbl

#184 Post by prnt_prbl »

The printer is a network printer, wlan. Apparently it shows up on the network for windows 8 users. But not for the Puppy precise 5.7.1 user.

So the CUPS interface will detect the printer and the printer will show up
if clicked ctrl + p ie on a website?

rcrsn51

#185 Post by rcrsn51 »

prnt_prbl wrote: But not for the Puppy precise 5.7.1 user.
Is this before or after you have installed the driver and done a CUPS install?

prnt_prbl

#186 Post by prnt_prbl »

rcrsn51 wrote:
prnt_prbl wrote: But not for the Puppy precise 5.7.1 user.
Is this before or after you have installed the driver and done a CUPS install?

This was before install. I will give my "phone support" again tomorrow and I am sure things will work out.

I'll just try first the PET install and then run the CUPS again.

Btw. It seems some of the wizards remove all files in the print directory.

I'll post here tomorrow to tell how things worked.

prnt_prbl

#187 Post by prnt_prbl »

Seems there is some small problems getting this to work.
Clicking the PET puts the drivers in /usr/share/cups/model/canonmx510.ppd

Then when I have them click Setup>Setup Cups Printing the printer can not be detected. The printer does however return Ping on 10.0.0.2.

Is there a way to manually add the printer IP to CUPS?
Can I alter the cups config or in any other way manually tell CUPS where to look for printer?

rcrsn51

#188 Post by rcrsn51 »

Do they have a firewall running?

[Edit] They will also need the canon_net_backend-3.90.pet from Page 1.

If that still doesn't work, I will need to rebuild the MX510 package.

prnt_prbl

#189 Post by prnt_prbl »

Sure thing. Manual setup of firewall fixed it all.

Thx a lot for great and quick response. Now it is working like a charm.

Time to try the scanner as well, feeling lucky now :D

rcrsn51

#190 Post by rcrsn51 »

Clicking the PET puts the drivers in /usr/share/cups/model/canonmx510.ppd
The PPD is just a text configuration file. The driver code is elsewhere, like in /usr/lib.

I have posted the scanner PETS here.

prnt_prbl

#191 Post by prnt_prbl »

Thx man, will do the scanner tomorrow.
Great work man. :)

Dromeno

Canon Pixma MG 4250 (4200 series) request

#192 Post by Dromeno »

I hope somebody can help me out with this one.

According to the sane project the Canon MG 4250 should be able to work under Xsane:

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-backends.html#S-PIXMA

unfortunately it is not. Perhaps an udate is required for pixma_backend_5xx-1.0.23.pet because sane-backends is at version sane-backends-1.0.24

The other option would be to get the scanner working under scangear. But this one also needs updating, I can find the 1.40 version at this forum
scangearmp_common-1.40.pet but it appears the 2.00 version is needed.

I tried to install the Ubuntu .debs in Lucid Puppy as well as Carolina but it did not work out

http://robert.penz.name/532/a-howto-for ... er-ubuntu/

http://www.canon.nl/Support/Consumer_Pr ... &language=

I am currently out of options... any help would be greatly appreciated!

rcrsn51

#193 Post by rcrsn51 »

Go back to the Canon scanner driver thread and read the paragraph at the top of the main post, specifically about candi.

rcrsn51

#194 Post by rcrsn51 »

No reply? That's too bad. I was looking for someone to test the Canon pixma driver in SANE v1.0.24.

Dromeno

candi damages 2fs?

#195 Post by Dromeno »

Hi rcrsn51,

Yes I want to test it! The candi option did not work yet. I installed candi 1.3 pet and then

cnijfilter-common_3.80-1_i386.deb
cnijfilter-mg4200series_3.80-1_i386.deb
scangearmp-common_2.00-1_i386.deb
scangearmp-mg4200series_2.00-1_i386.deb

all via the terminal candi ... option as advised.

They all installed in lucid puppy 528 but after tat puppy would not boot anymore (dropped out of X after reboot). I was not succesfull with xorgwizard either. :( Fortunately I have a backup of the 2fs from which I am posting now.

what can I now do?

rcrsn51

Re: candi damages 2fs?

#196 Post by rcrsn51 »

Dromeno wrote:They all installed in lucid puppy 528 but after tat puppy would not boot anymore (dropped out of X after reboot)
???????

I just tested this myself with a clean frugal install of Lupu 528 using the four MG4200 Debian files. It worked exactly as expected.

I cannot see any way that it would break X unless your savefile got filled up or had some corruption.

In any case, I have attached v1.0.24 of the SANE Canon pixma driver below.

[Edit] No reply. After several downloads and no feedback, I have removed the attachment.

reedman

Canon Printer Drivers

#197 Post by reedman »

Several years ago, I waded into the friendly waters of this forum, with many questions. I had then (and have now) a (heretofore) trusty Dell Dimension 4500S, vintage 2002. It multi-boots Windows XP SP3, and three versions of puppy linux, with the most recent being the 5.25 Lupo iteration. Subsequent to a forced shutdown, a Windows file became corrupted, and would no longer boot. But of course, puppy does, flawlessly. I will not be restoring the Windows installation. It can sit there, while puppy continues to do all the hard labor, which he manages continually to look easy.

This circumstance led me to investigate puppy tahr 6.0.2, and what a revelation, as for my money, the distribution that can make any Microsoft acolyte wonder why they bother. Puppy is a grownup now, aging with grace, still as speedy and useful as ever.

Forum member rcrsn51 is an emblematic example of the kind of helpful, courteous, patient participant for which this forum is known, and upon whom I rely. I am not a linux geek, but with assistance like his, I don't need to be. Admission: I tried some other live distros as well: Mint, elementaryOS, Zorin, and one or two others. Eyecandy is good, but it doesn't get the work done, and nothing compares with the speed, organization, and stability of puppy. Long story short, I could not manage to get my Canon MG2520 scanner to work, except in puppy, thanks to rcrsn51, and his sweet little pet, candi.

So thank you. I am going to be walking this dog for a long time to come.

marcos90

#198 Post by marcos90 »

I would like to thanks rcrsn51 for the excellent tutorial, well explained to the beginners like me.
Thanks to this tutorial I could install my multifunctional Canon MG 2410 on Puppy 6.0.2 Tahr system.
Both Printer and Scanner are working perfectly :D

rcrsn51

#199 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. Candi v1.4 contains an additional script called candi-pet-maker. Read below.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 21 Apr 2016, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

starhawk

#200 Post by starhawk »

OMG you're back!

Thought you'd left us forever.

LOL.

You'll be glad to know I got my printer issue sorted so I won't be bugging you about that again for a while.