Canon Printer Drivers - Updated 2016

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
rcrsn51

#151 Post by rcrsn51 »

pupusr wrote:Any scanning pet available???

Please read the main post about installing the scanner driver yourself using the candi tool.

I have a scanner PET for your MG6320, but I would need to upload it externally. I will do so if you cannot get candi to work.

@starhawk: This thread is just about using Canon vendor printer drivers. If you have a problem with some unidentified printer in some unidentified Puppy, please start a new discussion elsewhere.

starhawk

#152 Post by starhawk »

rcrsn51 wrote:@starhawk: This thread is just about using Canon vendor printer drivers. If you have a problem with some unidentified printer in some unidentified Puppy, please start a new discussion elsewhere.
The printer has been identified. The Pup I'm using has been identified. There are no vendor drivers, as has also been established, and (IIRC) TurboPrint was recommended and that's what I'm trying to use and having trouble with. I can't ask TurboPrint for help because (among other reasons) it's not the latest version (they don't support older versions at all).

For the record -- Canon i9900 is the printer, the Pup is X-Slacko 1.1 PAE, and I'm using TurboPrint 2.15. The specific problem is that (depending on which error message one wants to believe) either the print spooler itself is cancelling the print job instantly, or something else isn't working right and it's producing a document to the printer that's 0 pages long and empty inside. The printer doesn't even start to print... no blank pages, no nothin'.

Please help me, that's all I'm asking for.

Dpup

Using Candi Pet

#153 Post by Dpup »

@rcrsn51
I installed the Candi Pet, wanted to test on Canon printer known to work with drivers you recently posted for the MX922. So with fresh Slacko 5.7 install, downloaded the Canon deb file for MX920 series, unpacked and placed the two cnijfiles for Intel I386 in /mnt/home directory, ran Candi from console for the two files and with firewall set off, ran CUPS admin., found the MX922, selected driver and default page setup. Ran test page, works fine !!!

Only question is where the two cnijfiles should be placed... they worked fine in /mnt/home, where puppy SFS, save file etc., are, but should they be copied to some other location?

Thanks again...

rcrsn51

Re: Using Candi Pet

#154 Post by rcrsn51 »

Dpup wrote:Ran test page, works fine !!!
Excellent.
Only question is where the two cnijfiles should be placed... they worked fine in /mnt/home, where puppy SFS, save file etc., are, but should they be copied to some other location?
It shouldn't matter where you download them. Candi can install them from any location. And you don't need to move the files out of the "packages" folder.

Once you have run candi, the original debs can be deleted, unless you want to save them for a future install.

Could you please also test the scanner? It should work, but I don't have any test equipment for the MX series.

rcrsn51

#155 Post by rcrsn51 »

starhawk wrote:Please help me, that's all I'm asking for.
rcrsn51 wrote:This thread is just about using Canon vendor printer drivers.... Please start a new discussion elsewhere.
That's all I'm asking for.

Dpup

Candi Pet

#156 Post by Dpup »

@rcrsn51
Scangearmp did not detect the Canon MX922 scanner that is working with the printer installed with Candi pet working wireless with WPA2 TKIP.

Is the MX922 scanner driver within the same Cnijfilter files used for the printer, or is there a different scanner specific set of drivers that needs to be installed?

rcrsn51

Re: Candi Pet

#157 Post by rcrsn51 »

Dpup wrote:... or is there a different scanner specific set of drivers that needs to be installed?
Yes. Go back to the download site and find the package titled MX920 series ScanGear MP Ver. 2.10 for Linux (debian Packagearchive)

Use the same candi procedure on it.

Dpup

Candi Pet

#158 Post by Dpup »

@rcrsn51
OK, searched and found MX920 series ScanGear MP Ver. 2.10 for Linux (debian Packagearchive), downloaded, unpacked, used terminal and ran Candi for the two i386 Debian files, shut off firewall, used scangearmp update function, found the Canon MX922 scanner, ran test scan... Works great !!!

Thanks !!! Am just amazed... have very little experience... but your specific instructions led me to quick working solution again...

rcrsn51

#159 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. I have updated the instructions for scanner installation in the main post.

For your setup with two scanners, you would just run candi on the newer common deb, then run it on the two model debs.

Thank you for testing. This procedure saves me from having to build the PETs and host them externally.

When you install a printer with candi, you also get some command-line utilities that are not included in the PETs. But some of them don't work in Puppy and most new Canons have an LCD control panel for doing maintenance.

If anyone has an older Canon and wants info about these utilities, please post a message.

Dpup

Candi Pet

#160 Post by Dpup »

@rcrsn51
Confirming your information above on installing newer Canon common common file, and each printer/scanner models file with Candi testing with Canon MX922 and MG5520 results in both being found by CUPS, and also found by Scangearmp and both able to print and scan together. All operating in fresh USB flash drive install of Puppy Slacko 5.7 wireless connected using WPA2 TKIP.

The installation of the pair with your new Candi Pet for printing and scanning took less than 5 minutes.

Thanks !!! This really does open the door for use of Puppy Linux with many models of low cost Canon printer/scanners found in the malls and online that sell for $30 to $100, Will be interesting to hear what other users experience using your new Candi Pet with Puppy Linux.

rcrsn51

#161 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. For 64-bit users, I have posted a candi version for Fatdog here.

While I don't like to recommend printer models, I am a big fan of Canon. Unlike other makes, I find that their ink cartridges don't dry up if not used regularly.

Using PeasyPrint, I can print a decent photo with my Canon at a much higher speed than HP or Epson.

My only complaint is that the new models are not SANE-compatible, so they don't work with PeasyScan.

zygo

Help with mp460 cups driver please

#162 Post by zygo »

rcrsn51,

The Canon site does not have a linux driver for the mp460. Have you got a pet or can you tell me how I can get the driver please. Another thread says that the mp160 would work also but that isn't on the site either. I am using Precise 571 but I can change to latest Slacko.

I had a Brother but that's seized up due to me not changing the ink promptly. This Canon hasn't had ink for a year but now copies fine with new cartridge. Thanks for your work on Canon MFD drivers.

rcrsn51

#163 Post by rcrsn51 »

I cannot find a Linux driver for the MP460. Canon Australia still has a driver for the MP160, but it is in RPM format. At the moment, candi only handles DEB packages. Locate the two RPM files for the MP160 and report back. We will discuss how to install it.

Code: Select all

cnijfilter-common-2.70-1.i386.rpm
cnijfilter-mp160-2.70-1.i386.rpm

zygo

#164 Post by zygo »

Sorry, I searched for deb only not linux. I have the 2 rpm files and your candi-1.1.pet What next?

rcrsn51

#165 Post by rcrsn51 »

On the main page, I have posted candi v1.2. It works the same way.

Code: Select all

candi cnijfilter-common-2.70-1.i386.rpm
candi cnijfilter-mp160-2.70-1.i386.rpm
Then install your printer in CUPS.

zygo

#166 Post by zygo »

rcrsn51,

Thanks.

There were 4 installation errors in total all due to the assumption that /usr/lib contained files matching libcn*. I think.

I have done a couple of test prints which were ok.

Strange that there's no mp460 driver. The manual was updated a few weeks ago.

rcrsn51

#167 Post by rcrsn51 »

zygo wrote:There were 4 installation errors in total all due to the assumption that /usr/lib contained files matching libcn*.
Thanks. I have identified the source of the messages and posted v1.3 above.

edoc

#168 Post by edoc »

Something is broken in the Forum - it's not displaying text (at least I can't see it after I Submit) & it offers Edit/Delete but when chosen no Delete option is offered.

edoc

#169 Post by edoc »

Forum appears to be behaving today ...

Just connected a Canon MG2520 printer & CUPS doesn't recognize it.

These are OVERPRICED at Walmart - stacks of them in the nearby college town - si I imagine the Linux world will be asked to support them for each distro.

Has anyone gotten the printer side of these to work, please?

I'm not concerned about the scanner right now but will need to return this if there are no plans to support the printer.

Thanks - David
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

rcrsn51

#170 Post by rcrsn51 »

edoc wrote:I'm not concerned about the scanner right now but will need to return this if there are no plans to support the printer.
You have posted to a thread that has detailed instructions for installing Canon printers in Puppy. What more do you want?