Canon Printer Drivers - Updated 2016

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
Dpup

Canon MX922 CUPS

#121 Post by Dpup »

Thanks rcrsn51, happy to see you back! I tried the MX920 series pet you posted with Slacko 5.7. With firewall off, The MX922 was not detected... many dozens of tries. The printer is working basic printing with Chrome 33 and Chromium 34. But I would like to still get it to work with CUPS. I am aware of postings about the MX922 having something different than the MX920 that may be issue with needing different driver.

The Canon MX922 is on Amazon.com best seller list, and has very good user reviews. It is also being sold at Costco, Amazon and a number of other stores here in US for $99 now. It also has many very low cost suppliers of compatible ink cartridges.

Unrelated, I did borrow an old HP Photosmart C309a and using your posted updates, the C309a did wireless connect and works fine.

Any additional suggestions for me to try? Thanks.

rcrsn51

#122 Post by rcrsn51 »

@Dpup:

Are you using your MX920 as a local USB printer or as a networked printer?

Your first step should be to connect it directly and verify that the driver works.

If you are networking the printer, you need the cups_bjnp-1.0.pet from Page 1.

Dpup

MX922 CUPS

#123 Post by Dpup »

rcrsn51, thanks...you are a genius !!!

Progress !!!... Direct USB connect prints fine on MX922 with CUPS and Slacko 5.7... now trying to get wireless to work.

I installed the cups_bjnp-1.0.pet, and it now sees the network printer, but when I print to it, CUPS reports "Failed to read Back Channel Data"

I have also borrowed a Canon MG5520 to try... But same issue no CUPS driver for MG5520. CUPS can see the printer, so I tried two closes CUPS drivers, and get error "Failed Side Channel...."

Thanks for the suggestions... I will keep trying anything to see if CUPS can work wireless with these popular Canon printers...

rcrsn51

#124 Post by rcrsn51 »

It sounds like the bjnp backend doesn't work with this model and you need the official Canon backend.

Go here and get the cnijfilter-mx920series-3.90-1-deb.tar.gz

Unpack it and locate the two files cnijfilter-common_3.90-1_i386.deb and cnijfilter-mx920series_3.90-1_i386.deb.

Click on each to install them.

Restart CUPS with the command /etc/init.d/cups restart.

Run CUPS and delete your current printer.

Rediscover your printer and select the cnijnet backend.

Dpup

Canon MX922

#125 Post by Dpup »

rcrsn51, Again Thanks, Unpacked and installed the two files for i386 of my HP laptop and Slacko 5.7, and followed your posted instructions, And Whoopie !!!... the new Canon MX922 is now working with CUPS wireless or USB wired !!!

Am connected on the WiFi wireless using WPA2 TKIP...

You are a true master and genius !!! We cannot help but notice that tens of thousands have viewed this series about Canon printing with CUPS... And you came thru with the solution that has been so elusive for months on the current, and very popular, highly rated, new generation of Canon printer for Puppy Linux users... and all the dozens of other Canon printers too...

Dpup

Canon MX922 and MG5520

#126 Post by Dpup »

rcrsn51, Thanks... installed latest pets MX920 and MG5500 series and backend 3.90 you posted on MX922 and MG5520 on new clean install of Puppy Linux Slacko 5.7 USB boot. Connection is WPA2 TKIP on my router. Firewall shut off for the CUPS search for new printers... Both printers found, both work fine in testing with web pages, email, and other test pages.

Both of these Canon printers are current volume models in retail stores and online. Saw ad from Target today selling the MG5520 for under $60. The MX922 is $99 at Costco, Amazon and other retailers and have very good reviews. Both printers use the same series larger ink tanks with very low price compatible cartridges sold by third parties online.

Both printers also work with Windows, Android Tablets and Smart Phones, Apple IPad, IPhone, Airlink and Google Cloud printing and the Chrome and Chromium browsers. Both also have USB connector in addition to the WiFi wireless.

So next... looking at making Puppy Linux work with the scanners in these units.
Last edited by Dpup on Tue 15 Apr 2014, 10:36, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#127 Post by rcrsn51 »

I have posted the canon_net_backend-3.90.pet on page 1.

It used to be that Canon scanning units were automatically recognized by a built-in SANE backend. But this is no longer true.

The Canon scanning PETs are here. When I get some time, I will build PETs for your MX920 and MG5500.

starhawk

#128 Post by starhawk »

X-Slacko 1.1. CUPS 1.4.8.

Canon i9900. Gutenprint driver.

Spits out prints that are way too dark, and it thinks that the bottom and right edges of the paper (standard letter) are about a quarter inch farther out than they actually are. It's actually /stretching/ the page to make this happen. I can see it. The test page has an oval for the little color wheel, instead of a circle.

Poked around with the sixty million settings in CUPS. No changes anywhere.

This would be less of a problem if my other operable printer weren't out of ink. I've ordered some, but it won't be here today, and I really don't like the idea of using a Windblows machine for all my printing needs on that one printer...

:evil:

starhawk

#129 Post by starhawk »

Some joker on the Ubuntu forums recommended using the BJC-8500 driver.

It prints a full page in 1/4 the space.

Thanks, guy :evil:

starhawk

#130 Post by starhawk »

Suggestions, anyone?

rcrsn51

#131 Post by rcrsn51 »

starhawk wrote:Suggestions, anyone?
Canon does not make a Linux driver for your i9900. AFAIK, there are two options:

1. Make do with Gutenprint. Gutenprint drivers are well-known for only having basic functionality.

2. Buy a commercial package like TurboPrint. You probably don't want to do that.

starhawk

#132 Post by starhawk »

Gutenprint demonstrably does not work, as described.

I found an old copy of TurboPrint floating freely in the wilds of the Internet, may try that.

pupusr

Canon Printer Drivers

#133 Post by pupusr »

Does anyone know of a driver for a Canon PIXMA MG 6320? I've been using Slacko 5.4 and am in the process of upgrading to version 5.7, however I can't, for the life of me, get my Canon to print. I have CUPS 1.4.8. Gutenprint drivers do not have my specific printer. Tried closest ones...no luck. Tried cnifilter-mg6300series-3.80-1.deb. Have added and tried both cups-bjnp-1.0.pet and canon_net_backend=3.90.pet (individually)...no luck. Have had both usb and network (for wireless) recognize my printer. With usb I appear to successfully print, but no printout. With wireless I get a "failure to read side channel request" error. Is there any hope for this printer?

rcrsn51

#134 Post by rcrsn51 »

@pupusr:

I have posted a PET for the MG6300 series here. Click the small grey Download button on the left.

Please install and report back with the results. It is the courteous thing to do. Many newcomers do not understand this.

rcrsn51

#135 Post by rcrsn51 »

@starhawk: What happened with your TurboPrint project? This would have been useful information for other community members.

This forum is not a blog. Just saying what you plan to do is of no use to anyone.

pupusr

#136 Post by pupusr »

@rcrsn51:

First off, I want to thank you for such a prompt reply. I will definitely keep you posted on results, however I'm working this weekend so won't have as much time as I had previously to work on this issue. Here are my observations so far:

1) The driver .pet pkg you provided appears to be the same as I had tried previously (as a .deb pkg) cnijfilter-mg6300series-3.80-1, at least as far as it shows up in CUPS 1.4.8. Perhaps you had modified it some, and I was able to easily install, however still no luck.

2) With all of the various combinations I have tried (see my original post); I have had the printer show up previously in CUPS discovery, with both usb and network, however now I have not been able to get either. I had previously uninstalled all my other Canon-related pkgs, figuring starting from scratch might be best.

3) Is there a possibility with all my various efforts that I have some sort of CUPS cache issue that I need to "clean up"? The only commands I know for CUPS are /etc/init.d/cups stop, and /etc/init.d/cups restart. Are there others that I may utilize to get a "fresher start"?

4) Should I reinstall a specific backend pkg to compliment your driver pkg?

That's all I have so far. It's frustrating, but I welcome further advice and appreciate your help.

starhawk

#137 Post by starhawk »

Haven't tested it yet. I'll try to do that later today.

starhawk

#138 Post by starhawk »

That version of TurboPrint did not work (mostly because I can't figure it out).

I uh "found" a copy of TurboPrint 2.15 (full version) and I am going to attempt to use that as soon as the battery in this laptop finishes recharging.

In the meantime I'm going to go and install a cartridge in my *other* printer, an aged HP OfficeJet 7410 that works fine when properly fed... ;)

pupusr

#139 Post by pupusr »

@rcrsn51:

YES! I have finally printed successfully via usb. I reset all settings on the MG6320 printer, uninstalled/reinstalled the MG6300series pet you provided...and voila :D

Now on to try wireless and scanning. For wireless, I plan to add the cups-bjnp-1.0.pet first, and if that doesn't work I'll try the canon_net_backend-3.90.pet.

Any scanning pet available???

The road ahead appears long, but now there's hope.

Thanks so much :D

starhawk

#140 Post by starhawk »

For my part, I'll try the new TurboPrint setup thingy tomorrow. it's late...