JWM,Openbox,GNOME,KDE,XFCE,LXDE ...WOW...choices of Slacko

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gcmartin

JWM,Openbox,GNOME,KDE,XFCE,LXDE ...WOW...choices of Slacko

#1 Post by gcmartin »

This brings up all kinds of possibilities from selecting which version from a single screen at download time to choosing which desktop Window Manager to setup when "FirstRUN" processing occurs.

In one case we choose the specific version. In the other, we have a distro which ships with them all. And, there are other options for implementation that also come to mind.

Puppy and the breadth of offerings from its community. Maybe there is a way to combine efforts such that it becomes a team collaboration.

Wow

scsijon

#2 Post by scsijon »

I wonder how big it would become if you included nearly all as a desktops.sfs? It would be good sfs to have available for a testing workstation.

Jejy69

#3 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello !

Gnome 2.32 sfs avaible here, works on slacko : http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 059#644059

Cheers !
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite Linux distrbution on the Citadel.

gcmartin

#4 Post by gcmartin »

I understand the differeing opinions on download size.

For me (remember, I said "For me...") I have been downloading DVD class datasets (ISOs) for years. A DVD class dataset is anyone which exceeds the size of a CD.

Its size does NOT make a distro good or bad. But, all must admit that the size does provide advantages depending on any implementation.

Finally, we all know that frugal/full Puppy installations "install to a HDD/USB". Thus, one approach (Live media excluded, as it is "static") frugal/full installations would NOT carry the weight after initial installation that is seen on the static ISO's media. Thus the "installation to HDD/USB" doesn't carry a burden...depending upon system build by distro owner.

I feel should something like this could be an excellent way for a collaboration of what should/could be offered to the Puppy community for a distro like this.

Further, because of the nature of Puppy, it is one of the few distros on the planet which could reasonably address this in a single ISO.
And as a view,

Again, that's merely an idea. Could there be merit?

Here to help

Pelo

Jejy69 no internet at all on your last issues

#5 Post by Pelo »

Your husky was worth to be improved. I am going to burn it again.

hamoudoudou

Slitaz and Slacko 6.3.2

#6 Post by hamoudoudou »

tazpup 2018 ! Mistfire mix Slitaz and Slacko 6.3.2 (info Médor)
Gnome would be a too big desktop for Puppy. that was true in lonely days..
RAM and GBs available on Hard Disk nowadays should unchain development to Gnome..

s243a

#7 Post by s243a »

Jejy69 wrote:Hello !

Gnome 2.32 sfs avaible here, works on slacko : http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 059#644059

Cheers !
Please use a smaller picture for your avatar. It takes up 1/3 of my screen!!!!!!

hamoudoudou

Gnome vs Qt

#8 Post by hamoudoudou »

Gnome vs Qt
JeJy has a big avatar, true.