LMMS 0.4.13

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
backi

#16 Post by backi »

HI Oscar Talks !
Glad you found solution .
Want to report a strange effect i discovered .

I am using Umplayer .
After installing Lmms pet (which works ) i was not longer able to start Umplayer .
Tried to start umplayer from console
I got message " umplayer: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libQtNetwork.so.4: undefined symbol: _ZN14QObjectPrivate15checkWindowRoleEv " .
So i looked into /usr/lib/libQtNetwork.so.4 and tried if this libary file does affect the Umplayer .
by moving libQtNetwork.so.4 to another place,(to test if this would change somehow the game .)
Did not expect some result.
But it did .
Umplayer worked again as usual and Lmms does not seemed negatively affected .
Everything seems working .
Maybe this /usr/lib/libQtNetwork.so.4 is not necessary and can cause trouble to other programms.
But i really dont know .
Just want to report this experience .

OscarTalks

#17 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Backi,

Thanks for the report.
I believe this may be one of the problems with including qt libs inside a .pet, you can sometimes get a clash with other qt programs and the libs that come with them.

The libQtNetwork.so.4 is not one that I included in the LMMS .pet
I only put in the ones that were needed ie QtGui, QtCore and QtXml.

I am not sure what to do about this. Maybe if I include all the qt libs together it would overwrite them all as a group and this would be OK, but that would be a case of testing and waiting for other reports. Not sure how much bigger it would make the LMMS .pet if I do this.

I guess the other way is to offer the LMMS .pet without qt libs and specify that qt is a dependency which the user needs to install separately.
Oscar in England

sheepy

#18 Post by sheepy »

It appears that for ZynAddSubFX to work, the separate app itself is required first. I have failed to bring it to Puppy though. :(

OscarTalks

#19 Post by OscarTalks »

@ Sheepy,
You have to install at least some of the dependencies of ZynAddSubFX (FFTW) before compiling LMMS, but once compiled the ZynAddSubFX plugin within LMMS works without the need to install ZynAddSubFX itself.
However, I have produced .pet packages of ZynAddSubFX as a separate program in the other thread if you want to try them. I didn't do a Lucid version though.

@Backi,
I was unable to reproduce your problem. Booted live pfix=ram and installed UMplayer from PPM. This also installs qt-4.8.0-basic-with-qtwebkit-dpup.pet as a dependency. Starting UMplayer from console gives some debug messages and a couple of warnings but no errors and UMplayer starts (no LMMS yet). Then I installed my LMMS .pet and ran it a couple of times. Tried UMplayer again and it still starts from console with the same messages or from menu with no visible problem.
The qt libs in the LMMS .pet are the same as the ones in the qt-4.8.0 package that is installed with UMplayer. I wonder if you installed a UMplayer from somewhere else or have at some point installed a different qt or a package which has included a different set of qt libs and files.
Oscar in England

capicoso

#20 Post by capicoso »

OscarTalks wrote:Hello Backi,

Thanks for the report.
I believe this may be one of the problems with including qt libs inside a .pet, you can sometimes get a clash with other qt programs and the libs that come with them.

The libQtNetwork.so.4 is not one that I included in the LMMS .pet
I only put in the ones that were needed ie QtGui, QtCore and QtXml.

I am not sure what to do about this. Maybe if I include all the qt libs together it would overwrite them all as a group and this would be OK, but that would be a case of testing and waiting for other reports. Not sure how much bigger it would make the LMMS .pet if I do this.

I guess the other way is to offer the LMMS .pet without qt libs and specify that qt is a dependency which the user needs to install separately.
i think a complete qt 4.8 is about 50~ mB installed. The problem is if you include the whole qt lib inside lmms.pet, when i uninstall lmms it'll also uninstall qt and half of my programs will stop working. You should make another pet for qt. But some people already made pets and sfs for qt 4.7 on slacko, so you could just post that one. These errors generally appears when mixing older/newer qt libs together.

sheepy

#21 Post by sheepy »

OscarTalks wrote:@ Sheepy,
You have to install at least some of the dependencies of ZynAddSubFX (FFTW) before compiling LMMS, but once compiled the ZynAddSubFX plugin within LMMS works without the need to install ZynAddSubFX itself.
However, I have produced .pet packages of ZynAddSubFX as a separate program in the other thread if you want to try them. I didn't do a Lucid version though.

@Backi,
I was unable to reproduce your problem. Booted live pfix=ram and installed UMplayer from PPM. This also installs qt-4.8.0-basic-with-qtwebkit-dpup.pet as a dependency. Starting UMplayer from console gives some debug messages and a couple of warnings but no errors and UMplayer starts (no LMMS yet). Then I installed my LMMS .pet and ran it a couple of times. Tried UMplayer again and it still starts from console with the same messages or from menu with no visible problem.
The qt libs in the LMMS .pet are the same as the ones in the qt-4.8.0 package that is installed with UMplayer. I wonder if you installed a UMplayer from somewhere else or have at some point installed a different qt or a package which has included a different set of qt libs and files.
Shortly afterwards I figured out the correct dependencies to get this working on Lucid. I might make a pet later. Anyway, ZynAddSubFX is working and after upgrading LMMS to 0.4.13 it works there too, but somewhere along the line caused a conflicting symbol error with Skype. Working on having them coexist right now.

OscarTalks

#22 Post by OscarTalks »

@capicoso
Thanks for the feedback. You make a lot of sense. I've gone back to the original idea of posting the .pet packages without any qt libs. Installing qt can easily be done from PPM as you say.

@sheepy
Skype also depends on qt of course. Don't think it would be a problem if you use the static version but not certain about that. I believe that is the difference between the 28 Meg version and the 40 Meg version if you are talking about Skype 4. If you make a .pet of LMMS for Lucid hopefully you will post it up. I took it on as an exercise, a bit of homework because I am a student of compiling, but it has proved to be a bit heavy going so I'm hoping to be able to call a halt to my efforts with it, at least for the time being.
Oscar in England

sheepy

#23 Post by sheepy »

OscarTalks wrote:@capicoso
Thanks for the feedback. You make a lot of sense. I've gone back to the original idea of posting the .pet packages without any qt libs. Installing qt can easily be done from PPM as you say.

@sheepy
Skype also depends on qt of course. Don't think it would be a problem if you use the static version but not certain about that. I believe that is the difference between the 28 Meg version and the 40 Meg version if you are talking about Skype 4. If you make a .pet of LMMS for Lucid hopefully you will post it up. I took it on as an exercise, a bit of homework because I am a student of compiling, but it has proved to be a bit heavy going so I'm hoping to be able to call a halt to my efforts with it, at least for the time being.
Indeed, it is Skype 4. :\ It's a libqtnetwork symbol error.
I got ZynAddSubFX working with 0.4.10, but I think yours handles VST's better. I'll work on bringing 0.4.13 to Lucid sometime.

mini-jaguar

#24 Post by mini-jaguar »

Which version of Exprimo did you compile it with? I tried several versions and the sound cuts off.

It does the same thing with Slacko 5.4.0, but works fine with Slacko 5.3.1 and 5.3.3.

backi

#25 Post by backi »

HI mini-jaguar !

I am using LMMS 4.13 on Dpupexprimo ...works fine .....everything is included.
Zynnaddsub and sf2 player !
I think it works on Puppyprecise too ...not quite sure .
On Slacko idont know.

Maybe give it a try ...look for it here
http://smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_packages-exprimo/

It needs qt-4.8.0 libs .

mini-jaguar

#26 Post by mini-jaguar »

WHICH Dpup Exprimo? Welche Version???!!!

Strangely enough, it worked on Precise for me too, but the menu entry didn't. Had to start from the console by typing "lmms", but no dropouts like on Exprimo (tried 5.X.3.6.2.1 , 5.X.3.4.12 , Wheezy, and I think two or three other dpups.)

The way to check if it drops out is to go to the short clips in the demos and choose that drum and bass demo. Either it'll sound normal, or the sound will cut off once in a while.

backi

#27 Post by backi »

Hi mini-jaguar !

Using it on Dpupexprimo 5X3.6.2.1

install first qt-4.8.0 pet
Download it from link above .
I made an SFS file from it using SGF-combiner.
No problems for me .Works well .
Maybe depends on CPU or RAM ?
Dont know .

OscarTalks

#28 Post by OscarTalks »

mini-jaguar wrote:Which version of Exprimo did you compile it with?
This was compiled in the latest Exprimo at the time which would have been 5.X.3.4.2.9 or possibly one earlier or one later but I would expect it to run on any of the Exprimos. It was all very experimental at the time though and it is still an app that I am not very familiar with so it is difficult for me to advise.

I have Exprimo 5X15 installed on one of my machines so I might give that a try. I'll see if I can find the demo you are talking about and see if it plays.

LATER - OK I just tested it in 5X15 and it all plays fine BUT if you mean the DnB demo in "Shorties" I did notice that it runs the CPU much harder than all the other demos so it may be that you are running close to a threshold on your machine depending on which Puppy and what other tasks are running.
Oscar in England

backi

#29 Post by backi »

Hi !

Yes some songs are harder for my CPU too .

I think Programms is ok .

mini-jaguar

#30 Post by mini-jaguar »

OscarTalks wrote:LATER - OK I just tested it in 5X15 and it all plays fine BUT if you mean the DnB demo in "Shorties" I did notice that it runs the CPU much harder than all the other demos so it may be that you are running close to a threshold on your machine depending on which Puppy and what other tasks are running.
Yes, that's what I meant.
backi wrote:Maybe depends on CPU or RAM ?
Dont know .
I have thought of it too. Indeed, I have tried it on a computer where every song is real slow.

But it is weird that on my main computer on some Puppies it sounds fine with no lag, with other Puppies it cuts off. Same CPU, RAM, etc.

backi

#31 Post by backi »

Hi everyone !
Beside the question of Ram or Cpu related situation

want to tell you how i handled possible conflicts with Qt libarys in case of lmms ,umplayer , vlc player ,skype or a few other programms which needs
qt 4.8 .
Did not install qt 4.8 as pet.(use instead the sfs file for only using it on demand )
Downloaded the programms above as pets ( or sfs file )....converted them to sfs-files (qt also ).
either you can start start them single way (without installing them ..execute them just on demand) using sfs-executer or sfs-loader ...

or using sfscombiner to make combipacks (for example - lmms sfs + qt4.8 sfs...or -umplayer-sfs+qt4.8sfs..-vlcplayer- sfs +qt 4.8 sfs ) execute them with sfsececuter or sfsloader only on demand.
Find it quite convenient.

Did a cut down remaster of dpup exprimo ,removed most programms and replaced them as far as possible with sfs files-modules version of this programms .Only load them on demand .
In case they need dependencies i combine them with sfscombiner to a single combipack sfs-file ...only start them on demand .so they need not be installed and can probably not so easyly conflict with other libs or depencies .....( i am just a newbee ).
So i have quite a bare-bone Dpupexprimo ...precise too (maybe 110 megs ).. and just a small savefile 124 megs for configuration and others .
Most of my programms and some libs and depencies i have externalized as sfsmodules ....only load them when needed....on demand..

maybe you can call it "ON Demand Puppy ....or Puppy on Demand or " Puppy on the fly " )"
I think it it possible can save some space in ram too.... ( not quite sur ) .
Like using " on the fly " sfs-files more then using pets . Want to go more "modular " like RSH has done in "Lazy Puppy " .
There a some interresting modular aspects in a little Slackware distro named "Porteus " (Distrowatch ) .

mini-jaguar

#32 Post by mini-jaguar »

OscarTalks wrote:
mini-jaguar wrote:Which version of Exprimo did you compile it with?
This was compiled in the latest Exprimo at the time which would have been 5.X.3.4.2.9 or possibly one earlier or one later but I would expect it to run on any of the Exprimos. It was all very experimental at the time though and it is still an app that I am not very familiar with so it is difficult for me to advise.

I have Exprimo 5X15 installed on one of my machines so I might give that a try. I'll see if I can find the demo you are talking about and see if it plays.

LATER - OK I just tested it in 5X15 and it all plays fine BUT if you mean the DnB demo in "Shorties" I did notice that it runs the CPU much harder than all the other demos so it may be that you are running close to a threshold on your machine depending on which Puppy and what other tasks are running.
Yes, it runs well in 5X15, just tried it. No dropouts. I never had other tasks running while testing this.

paulski

LMMS 0.4.13 in 64 Bit

#33 Post by paulski »

LMMS 0.4.13 in Fatdog has not been the dream I hoped for.
Up till now i was using a 0.4.9 LMMS I found somewhere in Fatdog 64 repositories -- possibly in the all in one audio sfs.
Problem is the almost essential zynaddsubfx synth doesn't work -- and nearly all the demo lmms projects out there use it.
All of the tips in this thread thus far didn't quite give me the answer I needed. But it helped me to work out where to look.
Thanks guys.

Stealing libs and bits from ubuntu deb files did no good -- so I tried to compile lmms again from source.

Kinda worked but zynaddsubfx always failed.
After about a day of frustration googling for tips and editing heaps of source code files to "fix" a bug -- I eventually stumbled on the problem and got a good build- yihoo! :)

lmms-0.4.13-x86_64.pet
https://www.box.com/s/33qiec4xzvpy5apmfb6u

What was the problem? One of the dependencies fftw - that I got from the repository was compiled only for double floating point precision.
Lmms and zynaddsubfx and a few other plugins needed fftw3f that is the single floating point precision build
To configure to compile fftw from source i needed this line for a single precision version:

Code: Select all

sh configure --prefix=/usr --enable-shared --enable-float
@ sheepy - perhaps this is what you needed for your lucid build mentioned on page one of this thread?

Here is a pet of my fftw build:
fftw-single-3.3.3-x86_64.pet
https://www.box.com/s/ux3g79bvmmhn2ii7e7lk

Then also the following dependencies to build
qt4 can't remember which version probably qt4.7
jack2-1.9.8.pet from the fatdog repository

Then also compiled from source:
fltk-1.3.2-x86_64.pet
https://www.box.com/s/bs02axetdaden9iw0vfg

fluidsynth-1.1.6-x86_64.pet
https://www.box.com/s/ak6ehb3qkyhbjjd1zosb

mxml-2.7-x86_64.pet
https://www.box.com/s/3jisfovvie2vmserta5c

fontconfig-2.10.92-x86_64.pet
https://www.box.com/s/1c4i0ki15fy996vy2zhi

At the unsure stage I even built zynaddsubfx stand alone. Lmms didn't need it but what the hey if anyone needs it:
ZynAddSubFX-2.4.3-x86_64.pet
https://www.box.com/s/elpju5678pracg36t392

Everything I've compiled was done in Fatdog 611.

Note: the lmms build above does not have vst support. That needs to work in harmony with wine development libraries.
I haven't got the wine dev business going yet in 64 bit. As wine has to be 32 bit its a bit tricky. the wine sfs I used from the fatdog repos does not have development stuff in it.

mini-jaguar

#34 Post by mini-jaguar »

That lmms also works in FatDog64 6.2.1. Pretty cool.

I had once installed an earlier lmms, 0.4.10, maybe .11 or .12, from a Slackware repository into Slacko, and it did pull lots of Wine script.

Pelo

Polarpup runs the Slacko lmms

#35 Post by Pelo »

Polarpup runs the Slacko lmms
Without any addition
Attachments
lmms.jpg
(73.68 KiB) Downloaded 310 times