Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 21 Oct 2019, 01:48
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
QtWeb super light browser - wishing pet
Page 2 of 3 [37 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
PFan

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov 2016, 22:30    Post subject:  

Hello Mike Walsh,

Your QtWeb is pretty snappy on anything I've tried running it on. Thank you.
A possible work around on the bookmark issue is this website, http://www.linkagogo.com/go/Convert which will convert html files to xbel format. The only issue I had was that it inverted the order of the bookmarks.

Also I think Midori will import html and export xbel, if you have a copy of that working.

Not the prettiest solutions, but they may be better than "starting fresh" on your bookmarks.

Thanks again for the pet file
Marv

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov 2016, 09:47    Post subject:  

PFan wrote:
Also I think Midori will import html and export xbel, if you have a copy of that working.
Thanks, I have Midori with all my marks on this laptop also so I'll give that route a try first.

Edit: Worked well. The sorting is a bit wonky like in Midori. Played around with the appearance a bit.. The bookmarks bar can be dragged to the top just above the tabs bar as I like it and the mousewheel font resizing (CTRL scrollbar on the laptop) works well. I'm using OpenSans fonts with it as I have them onboard for chromium and all-in-all I'm pleased. So far I've run it under LxPupSc 16.11.1, LxPupXenial 16.08.2, and X-tahr 2.0. Will not run yet under X-slacko 4.2 or the newest X-slacko Slim. Haven't persued that yet but looks like library issues, not unexpected.

Pups currently in kennel Very Happy Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc and upupee for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov 2016, 11:37    Post subject:  

Hallo, PFan.

PFan wrote:
Hello Mike Walsh,

Your QtWeb is pretty snappy on anything I've tried running it on. Thank you.

Well; it's not actually my QtWeb, exactly.....but I'm pleased to hear the updated .pet works for you.

Thanks for the info about the .xbel conversion, BTW; I'll look into that. Cheers!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Marv: I've also had problems with it in any of rg66's X-series. You've used them a lot more than I have; did he actually strip a whole load of 'standard' libs out when he created them, or is it that XFCE requires a whole load of extra libs'n'stuff like that? I'm curious about this; I run X-Slacko 2.3.2, y'see. I have a bunch of stuff that runs in Slacko 570 (which it's based on).....but trying to run them in X-Slacko seems very hit and miss. On more than one occasion, I've had to copy libs over to X-Slacko to get things to run at all..!

Mike. Wink

Pelo

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov 2016, 12:10    Post subject: QtWeb 3.8.5 pet downloaded.  

QtWeb 3.8.5 pet downloaded. Quite sure lib QT not included. 12MB is really light.
Your English is hard to understand, dear colleagues..
I will try it ASAP, with a Puppy delivered without browser.
I am glad enough for this topic, started a long time but updated when new versions appear.. That the way i like things Smile

Marv

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov 2016, 22:54    Post subject:  

@Mike, I also have had to add some libs in for printing etc in the X-slacko series but in this case I am coming to the conclusion that QtWeb 3.8.5 is compiled against glibc newer than 2.17. I looked at it in slacko 6.3.0, also glibc 2.17 and the errors in terminal are the same. X-tahr 2.0 has glibc 2.19 while LxPupSc and LxPupXenial are 2.24 and 2.23 respectively. Running the 4.1.31 kernel in all for this quick look-see.
Pups currently in kennel Very Happy Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc and upupee for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.
mistfire

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov 2016, 23:26    Post subject:  

I used Qtweb single binary file version. It works fine on x-slacko slim. but there is one problem on Qtweb. It does not play HTML5 videos
peebee

PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov 2016, 03:08    Post subject:  

mistfire wrote:
It does not play HTML5 videos

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QtWeb

<<Development status Discontinued>>

http://qtweb.net/ "version 3.8.5 (released on Sep 9, 2013)"

Sort of puts it into the same category as Opera-12.16......

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov 2016, 09:33    Post subject:  

Afternoon, peebee.

I guess it all depends on what you're going to use it for, TBH. For my use-case (mostly forums, tech sites, blogs and the like) it works fine. Anything 'serious' like banking, I go straight into current Chrome, since everything's set up there to do so.

It's a fast little browser, for all that.....and packed with nifty features. It's just a shame development was abandoned.

Mike. Wink

superchook

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov 2016, 07:42    Post subject: QtWeb super light browser - wishing pet  

QtWebBrowser gets a mention on p58 of the September edition of Linux Format.
belham2

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov 2016, 08:02    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
Afternoon, peebee.

I guess it all depends on what you're going to use it for, TBH. For my use-case (mostly forums, tech sites, blogs and the like) it works fine. Anything 'serious' like banking, I go straight into current Chrome, since everything's set up there to do so.

It's a fast little browser, for all that.....and packed with nifty features. It's just a shame development was abandoned.

Mike. Wink

After fooling around more with QtWeb browser, I have come to basically use it just like Mike W stated he does. At first I was aghast at the number of popups I was getting about security certificates (as posted here, with a pic: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108535&start=90...but I kept thinking about how fast and speedy QtWeb is.

Eventually, I realized that the majority of sites I use I don't have to worry about the CA popups and they actually don't happen. I now honestly think this is the fastest loading and using browser I have come across for general browsing (like Mike said, secure stuff, then use something else, i.e. Chrome and/or Firefox).

Sure wish they could keep developing this browser......I've now put QtWeb on every pup & pup-related USB/SC card OS I have. Thanks to Mike's .pet, it is easy!! Gracias Mike!!!!!!
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov 2016, 09:03    Post subject:  

Hi, belham2.

That's exactly my 'take' on it. For general 'messing about' on the web, it's absolutely fine. And CPU usage is extremely low, too.....compared to something like Chrome. F'rinstance, in Lucid 5.2.8.7, QtWeb uses next to nothing; but Chrome 26 (the latest Chrome that will actually run in Lucid (it's the glibc issue, there)), with just 3 tabs open, and not actually doing anything, is using something like 65% CPU process... (???)

For owt 'serious', or that needs security, though, I automatically use Chrome. Fortunately, it's a lot less CPU-hungry, using far more recent versions, in many of the much newer Pups.....

I wouldn't dare do on-line banking with QtWeb..!

Mike. Wink

belham2

PostPosted: Sat 12 Nov 2016, 14:54    Post subject:  

Hi Mike,

Have a another question for ya on your QtWeb: have you ever gotten it to play nice with any version of Slacko? I installed it the other on Mistfire's Slim Slacko, it worked great for an hour of browsing, set everything in it like I like, then Saved it. Upon restart, everything is still there, but I cannot start it. It tries to start but refuses. Even if I go into /use/local/bin/qtweb and start it, it won't start. I've tried it both set up as root, and as spot, and refuses me both ways.

What's weird is that it runs repeatedly great on all the debiandogs and xenialdogs I have tried it on, saved it, and it's there chugging away when I restart those OSes.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 13 Nov 2016, 08:02    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:
Hi Mike,

Have a another question for ya on your QtWeb: have you ever gotten it to play nice with any version of Slacko? I installed it the other on Mistfire's Slim Slacko, it worked great for an hour of browsing, set everything in it like I like, then Saved it. Upon restart, everything is still there, but I cannot start it. It tries to start but refuses. Even if I go into /use/local/bin/qtweb and start it, it won't start. I've tried it both set up as root, and as spot, and refuses me both ways.

What's weird is that it runs repeatedly great on all the debiandogs and xenialdogs I have tried it on, saved it, and it's there chugging away when I restart those OSes.

Mm. Never had any problems with it in vanilla 570; every time I want to use it again, I launch it from the desktop icon (or the Menu entry....or the tray launcher button..!).....and there it is, good as gold. Same goes for X-Slacko 2,3,2 (based on 570).

It even runs in Slacko64 6.3.0, with the 32-bit compat libs installed.

Mike. Wink

perdido

PostPosted: Sun 13 Nov 2016, 09:59    Post subject: Re: bookmark importing  

Marv wrote:
Quite quick and rendering not bad but I have yet to get it to import html bookmarks from a file at all. Using its import facility, I go to my directory holding both Opera andFirefox exports in html format and it shows an empty directory. Played with case etc. to no avail. Anybody done this? Just want to know if it is a quirk of my setup or more general.

Not a quirk in your setup, Has been a problem for a few versions.

Easy workaround for importing html bookmarks in QtWeb
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88771&start=4

belham2

PostPosted: Sun 13 Nov 2016, 11:18    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
belham2 wrote:
Hi Mike,

Mm. Never had any problems with it in vanilla 570; every time I want to use it again, I launch it from the desktop icon (or the Menu entry....or the tray launcher button..!).....and there it is, good as gold. Same goes for X-Slacko 2,3,2 (based on 570).

It even runs in Slacko64 6.3.0, with the 32-bit compat libs installed.

Mike. Wink

Hi Mike,

Just wanted to provide some feedback: spent last two hours trying to get QtWeb 3.8.5 run on Mistfire's latest remastered x-slacko http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107313

It will install, but it will not run on this Linux Kernel 3.14.56 (i686), GNU C Library version 2.17 (stable) X-slacko version. If I use PPM in Mistfire's X-slacko, it will install QtWeb 3.8.4 (build 104) and that version will run perfectly. So I figure there must be some library conflict with the 3.8.5.pet version.

I even did the above 3.8.4 PPM install, then uextract your 3.8.5 version, and swapped in your 3.8.5 in the /usr/bin/ executable file, and it immediately would not load. Put back in the PPM's 3.8.4 executable, and it works right away again.

Oh well, no biggie, I'll just use Mistfire's included Midori when using his X-slacko. I use your 3.8.5 in the other pups I have, and I luv it Very Happy

P.S. I don't know if this makes a difference, but Mistfire's X-slacko is 'i686' and I notice on your 3.8.5.pet it says 'i386'. I had always assumed anything that runs on i386 will always also run on a i686 system.

P.S. 2 I am also wondering if installing "Zarfy" on Mistfire's X-slacko has something to do with 3.8.5 not working. When 'Zarfy' (for multiple monitors--I've 2) was not installed, the QtWeb 3.8.5.pet installed and ran great the first time.
Page 2 of 3 [37 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: