Simple video editor for Slacko puppies (SOLVED)

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
8Geee

Simple video editor for Slacko puppies (SOLVED)

#1 Post by 8Geee »

Is there a simple (small footprint) video editor to shorten or parse video files in general for Slacko-puppies?
I have need to remove intros or outros or remove an unwanted segment of a few video files. Some are the old avi, some are DivX, and some are mp4/mp3.

I checked the full menu in Slacko 5.7, and didn't see anything.
Last edited by 8Geee on Thu 28 Jan 2016, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

gcmartin

Re: Simple video editor for Slacko puppies

#2 Post by gcmartin »

8Geee wrote:Is there a simple (small footprint) video editor ...
Not sure if you are asking about download size or RAM size when running or Folder size on disk when its added to the system or ...

If unsure, you might want to share what you need the editor to do to see if one exist to match your needs in use. This webpage might be helpful.

All programs are not equal in 'ease of use' nor functionality.

hamoudoudou

SSR and Avidemux for Puppy

#3 Post by hamoudoudou »

Avidemux is the video editor used by most of Puppy's video addicts. Check for the slacko version to use.
click here to get the package by shinobar

YOU TUBE :

You will get the best result if you use one of these:
Type
Resolution
480p 854x480
720p 1280x720
Frame rate
YouTube allows many different frame rates. I think the maximum is 30, so that's what I use (also because 30 fps looks nice on 60 Hz monitors, unlike 24 fps).

Video bit rate
This depends a lot on the codec and codec settings that you're using. YouTube re-encodes anything you upload, so the only thing that matters is the quality, not the bit rate. If you're using H.264, you don't have to worry about the bit rate because it runs in constant quality mode. For the other codecs, you will just have to test different bitrates until you're happy with the result.

Audio bit rate
128k is good enough in almost all cases.

If possible use SSR Simple screen recorder 264 codec,
for you tube, set as prefered recording-for-you tube -format

Reduce the frame rate of the application that you want to record
If you're recording at 30 frames per second, it doesn't make much sense to run the game that you want to record at 60 frames per second (or even higher). If you use OpenGL recording, you can check Limit application frame rate to make the application frame rate match the video frame rate. Most modern games are frame rate independent (even if you slow down the frame rate, the game world will still run at the same speed), so this works pretty well. It will typically make the video smoother as well, because no frames need to be dropped.
Last edited by hamoudoudou on Fri 06 Oct 2017, 10:58, edited 3 times in total.

mikeslr

Definitely Avidemux

#4 Post by mikeslr »

Hi 8Geee,

Ditto recommendation of Avidemux. And try the Slacko pet hamoudoudou linked you to. I doubt the pet would break you system, but if you have any qualms, download the SFS. I'm pretty sure I've used it with current Slackos.

Frankly, I haven't noticed any "bells & whistles" in 2.6.4 that weren't in 2.5.3. Whatever changes Avidemux has made, they must be "internal" and subtle.

Regarding use, see http://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/doku.ph ... ng:cutting

mikesLr

8Geee

Thanks all

#5 Post by 8Geee »

I downloaded the 2.5.5-s5 pet and it works a treat. Tested it for simple editting and a few appends. very intuitive and easy. Download was small, so saved the pet before install JIC.

I did a remaster to my personal version of slacko5.7-2016eee, and the iso only increased from 166 to 171 Mb. Very nice and compact.

I note an H.264 warning that indicates a "safe mode" is used at the expense of an inaccurate frame/time. No problem with this for my simpler tasks. Perhaps the updated versions have a few codecs to reduce the occurance.

Thanks all
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."