How to easily create a hotspot in Xenialpup64 (and LXpup32)

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
mouldy

How to easily create a hotspot in Xenialpup64 (and LXpup32)

#1 Post by mouldy »

I had posted some time back about how Puppy might benefit from an easy to use built-in hotspot ability like the current Ubuntu has.

Of course Ubuntu's "Mother, may I?" philosophy annoys the heck out of me and I found the easy way to set up a hotspot more convenient for other things than just allowing win10 to share my phone tether for taxes.

So went looking for way to do easy hotspot in Puppy. I am using Xenialpup64 v.7.5 and alas since I tried LOT methods, not sure what I might have changed by time I did run across solution. So might be some dependency I added earlier that you will have to add, but with that caveat, can say I didnt add anything specific for it.

Go here https://github.com/oblique/create_ap And follow their instructions to download and make/install it. It tells you dependencies that need to be installed. Type create_ap in terminal and it will give you your options on creating hotspot. Simplest one worked for me. My wifi was wlan1 and my tethered 3G phone connection was ppp0 You pick any SSID you want and decide if you want encryption password or not.

Anyway it told me hotspot established. So booted an old Dell D420 with LXpup and it easily found the hotspot and connected and then opened browser and could surf. Just worked, after all the struggles up to this point, and unbelievably steep learning curve, it was amazing simple and rather anticlimactic. No multiple configuration files and all that. This is as easy or maybe easier than way current Ubuntu does it and unlike Ubuntu, Puppy doesn't annoy me. I am sure one could polish it up little more with gui interface, but I don't care about that.
Last edited by mouldy on Sat 11 May 2019, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.

mouldy

#2 Post by mouldy »

And LXpup32 (BionicPup32)v.19.03. To make create_ap work script work, I had to install hostapd, available through updated Puppy Package Manager. I just wanted to try in something different and that I hadnt previously messed trying to create a hotspot.