Lxpup 14 final 7-20-2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
vito

success with kde but none with cinnamon

#706 Post by vito »

Hello just installed cinnamon 1.6-v3 on lxpup 13.01 full. However, when I launch the desktop background comes up but no icons or anything else.
I have read on the net that if I could access dconf that I could navigate to a page that has a setting to show icons. However, even though this is installed, I don't seem to be able to call it up. I am using an old HP desktop single core intel with 4 gig, a great xp machine and even better puppylinux - lxpup machine.

Thanks for any help you might give,
Cheers,
Vito

XP Refugee

Mate LxPup

#707 Post by XP Refugee »

I think i'm running 14.03? anyway, I LIKE the MATE desktop/whatever thing :)
Can I put that on here? maybe toggle back n forth while I decide?

additionally, LxPup saved my butt MANY times in my learning of linux. I lost XP on the other netbook and installed Mint 17 on it but still favor Pup. I like how easy it is to change gamma values and alter color. Everyone on Mint is VERY PINK and I can find no way to alter this even with this full whizbang two Out house sink distro. Disappointing really. I do with I could get a better image viewer on Pup tho, even Geeqie is sadly lacking. I like Caja on MATE MUCH better than PCfileMan. Rox is just way too confusing with all that pin stuff.
ALL PROPS to jege69(sp) and peejay and mick01 !!!! keep up the good work. I think being #10 on distroW is not so bad. Dunno what it is now, that's from an old post. LxPup is very easy for a newb to get around in. Don't much like PPM tho. Cannot figure out how to use the terminal at ALL with the # instead of $ and sudo apt-get thang. I like the package manager in MintMATE because I can cruise around in it looking for stuff. PPM I click on anything and I'm commited, it begins to the DL/install thing, often following thru even AFTER I've hit the CANCEL button. And sometimes it says successful install and while checking things ANOTHER window pops up saying i've asked to install some thing that i did NOT, and it puts THAT in too. ACK!!!! dun like that at ALL. But all in all I'm stuck on LxPup at this point. I really think it's got great potential. Thinkin about buying some cheap used netbooks and installing several variants to play with. Or at least getting many more USB sticks to put more versions on.

One thing...a 2 gig save file takes like 4 minutes to save and shut down. Any way I can get around this? I'm reluctant to put it ON the HD with XP after losing my other XP. I HAVE to have at least one XP machine.

Volhout

wrong thread

#708 Post by Volhout »

Hi XP-refugee,

If you are running the LxPup 14.03, this is noth the right thread to pose your question. I must admit it is a bit confusing.

The thread you need is :

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=89270

The confusion starts becuase this thread, and early version of LxPup, is based on Slackware 14. But the software was build in 2013. The author of the software Jeyj69 is no longer with us. But his work was carried on by PeeBee in a different thread.

The new thread I am refering you to is also based on Slackware 14, but build in 2014 (march). Hence LxPup 14.03. And the athor is PeeBee...

Regards,

Volhout

XP Refugee

#709 Post by XP Refugee »

ok, thanks...I pasted THIS post into that thread and went to check on it not even one day later. It's GONE.

is there a secret handshake here?

peebee

Re: Mate LxPup

#710 Post by peebee »

XP Refugee wrote:I think i'm running 14.03? anyway, I LIKE the MATE desktop/whatever thing :)
Can I put that on here? maybe toggle back n forth while I decide?
see:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 512#784512
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Mayou

LXpup Mate

#711 Post by Mayou »

LXpup Mate on test. LXpup Qt too.
lot of bugs. I give up.
Last edited by Mayou on Sun 01 Mar 2015, 04:29, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

Re: LXpup Mate

#712 Post by peebee »

Mayou wrote:LXpup Mate on test. LXpup Qt too.
Best way to test:

Start with LxPup15.02

Download the sfs from: http://lx-pup.weebly.com/desktop-environments.html

Use the Desktop Switcher:

from Desktop -> Change appearance -> Options -> Switch DE
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64