Lxpup 14 final 7-20-2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gcmartin

Marketing LXPUP for the authors of LXPUP

#691 Post by gcmartin »

My comment Needs to be re-written.

The theme is that if there is a feeling of a moral injustice. Then is there some "will" to do the kind of things which can bring light to the contributions of developers whose work has been re-purposed without requesting approval for reuse?

The community can "collaborate" a solution helpful to all concerned.

Jejy69

#692 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello,

I wished to inform you about my intention to have a break, and to excuse me for my exaggerated reaction. A "light" trend to the impulsiveness. I do not wish to spit at the work of others.
Especially that the merit returns especially to B.Kauler and his team, 01micko for Slacko, I did not want to appropriate their work.

Nevertheless, I persist in the stop of lxpup. I do not manage to assure a suitable presence in case of bug ( And a lot of difficulty solving them also ), and I am not so present more than before.

I am going to reflect about it.

Here is... Next stage, I am going to take the wave! The Atlantic Ocean, here I am! 8)

Thanks all,

PS :

Code: Select all

Failed to download sdl: Missing MD5 checksum, override with -no-md5
If you get this error, install with slapt-get in a terminal like this :

slapt-get -no-md5 --install sdl
Have a nice holiday !

natgab

#693 Post by natgab »

Jejy69 wrote:Hello,

I wished to inform you about my intention to have a break, and to excuse me for my exaggerated reaction. A "light" trend to the impulsiveness. I do not wish to spit at the work of others.
Especially that the merit returns especially to B.Kauler and his team, 01micko for Slacko, I did not want to appropriate their work.

Nevertheless, I persist in the stop of lxpup. I do not manage to assure a suitable presence in case of bug ( And a lot of difficulty solving them also ), and I am not so present more than before.

I am going to reflect about it.

Here is... Next stage, I am going to take the wave! The Atlantic Ocean, here I am! 8)

Thanks all,

PS :

Failed to download sdl: Missing MD5 checksum, override with -no-md5
If you get this error, install with slapt-get in a terminal like this :

slapt-get -no-md5 --install sdl
Have a nice holiday !
---I will try on a spare USB. I went back to 13.04 beta 6 for the moment and that works great. I will see if I can get Lx 14 version working.

P.S. Did you see the trailer for the Lego Movie? :D
[b]Thinkpad T43[/b] / Pentium M 1.86Ghz / 2.0GB RAM / 100GB HD / 1024 x 768 XGA / Intel 915GM Video / Intel 8280FB Audio / Atheros AR5212 WIFI / DVD-CDRW-ROM / Ubuntu MATE 15.04 / LxPupTahr15.05

Dean

#694 Post by Dean »

Nvm
------------
[b]HP 510 Notebook[/b] CPU 1.4 GHz Pentium M / RAM 2GB / 15.4" WXGA BrightView 1280 x 800 / 40GB HD / OS Manjaro 0.8.8

Volhout

passing by ....

#695 Post by Volhout »

@Jejy69,

Wishing you all the hapiness in the world, and we will cherish your offspring Lxpup. Seeing you leave makes me sad, but that is how it goes..... in puppy-land. A wasteland (wasting of talent - land)....

I really wished Barry would stop playing with his individual releases and would start giving direction. Gather talented people and give puppy some structure. Puppy is gliding downhill in a fast pace, and in 3 years there won't be any puppy anymore. Users don't care if kernel 2.6.33 or kernel 3.10.1 is in their OS. They want a nice, fast (it is puppy!) and easy way to browse internet, see movies, listen to music, skype and mail.

01Micko is trying (on his own, respect man...!) to push puppy forward in a Slacko series, parallelled and completely independent by Barry's own Precise and Raring and Wary and .... versions, while Pesamu's Upups keep up (also on his own, only driven by his idea of what pupp should look like). But what is PUPPY ..??? If I look at distrowatch, and see puppy linux, am I looking at Slacko...or Precise... or ....? Is the new version 5.71 or 5.6beta2 ?

And then there are brilliant developers (Jemimah, Jejy69... etc) that have the capabilities to lift puppy to a higher level, but they can't do it on their own. They struggle for half a year, are drive over the edge (because it is more work than they can handle) and break down, or simply leave.
And (look in the eye candy thread) there are cosmetic artists that can change puppy into something really beautiful. No appeal is done to them to use their energy for the new release.

Why is there no-one that sees a future in puppy. Why do we waste so much energy in "non products". Put all noses in one direction, and you would be able to create something great.

Similar on the forum... The forum is mirroring the same lack of decisiveness.
There are "puppy projects", and "puppy derivatives". No one knows what puppy is where for what reason. And Barry Kaulers puppies only show up in the section "bug reports". Why ? Are they not projects ?

I can imagine that there are differences in opinion between developers, leading to a multitude of derivatives, but a strong "main stream" puppy would attract new users. And if mainstream is Slacko ... so be it, but let's make that clear. If mainstream is Ubuntu Raring, OK, but set a roadmap to get somewhere. Make a plan, share it, so (new) users know what puppy is, and will be.

I guess I should not post this here, since Jejy69 can't help it, and neither can most of the forum readers, but I sometimes get sad seeing energy and talent wasted(*), and wonder if it could have been prevented. I think Barry is the (historical) one to take the lead, and the only one with sufficient buy in from the developers still here to be acceptable.

Volhout

(*)= yes wasted... because Lxpup14 is not finished (same as puppeee, same as saluki, etc..). So if it works for you, great, but if not.... no one to help you now.... the only pup that had long term support (appart from 2.14X) was 528. And that is why in my opinion 528 is the last mainstream puppy.

Eyes-Only

#696 Post by Eyes-Only »

AMEN! Preach on Bother Volhout! I agree with you over 100% and I couldn't have voiced what you have said any better! I've been with Puppy since at least version 1.0.2 and you can only imagine how many brilliant developers I've seen come and go since I've been following - and using - Puppy.

It's very sad indeed because we could be so much higher than #10 at Distrowatch - and LXpup could lead us there!

Thanks for your wonderful post Volhout! I hope "Those That Be" will see it and give it some very serious thought...

Cheers/Amicalement,

Vive Puppy! Vive LXpup!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

natgab

Re: passing by ....

#697 Post by natgab »

Volhout

You have explained many of the problems that effect puppy very well. I think maybe if Barry got together with two or three of the main developers and made some sort of group consensus or guideline it would help Puppy a lot.

Many distros have more than one person in charge, Ubuntu may have Mark Shuttleworth on top but he delegates to different groups to be in charge of different items. Maybe if Puppy had a committee to set guidelines (LXDE vs. ROX, what core services to include, Gslapt vs. Puppy Pkg Manager) more work could get done. Barry could still continue his work on his individual projects knowing he had delegated different parts of puppy to different developers.

Personally I really love the work that Jejy69 has done with making a Puppy that defaults to LXDE. I don't want to make a anti-ROX rant, it just is not as accessible for Linux newbies. If Puppy was more organized, they could work on making LXDE puppies just as fast as the ROX puppies and more people would benefit from using Puppy on their older machines.

Just a little bit of my thoughts 8)
[b]Thinkpad T43[/b] / Pentium M 1.86Ghz / 2.0GB RAM / 100GB HD / 1024 x 768 XGA / Intel 915GM Video / Intel 8280FB Audio / Atheros AR5212 WIFI / DVD-CDRW-ROM / Ubuntu MATE 15.04 / LxPupTahr15.05

inoxidabile

#698 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi everybody!
I would like to say something about, just my little opinion. :)
That's right, looking at so much version it's a clear leakage of resources.
It's not a question about the better solution, but obviously some directives and decisions would be useful in terms of focus on the point.
Moreover, I agree with Volhout about the needs of common people but beyond the reach of better ranking score in Distrowatch.
But, on the other hand, the "anarchy" here (as someone said about) gives the maximum degree of freedom and then of creativity. From a certain point of view it's a point of all open software.
Everyone can "build up" something, and the (relative) simplicity of Puppy helps... maybe there are "artistic solutions", also only few artistic changes or hard arguing about some versions (e.g. xp-like).

Yes, there are a lot of talents that are waste, but they would have done the same if there were some directives from someone (person or group) or in case of structure to work in?

I don't know if a compromise would be possible, clearly it would be need of authoritative. I think that Barry is no more available as active role, but maybe he could state some guidelines.

pprevoo

Gslapt error

#699 Post by pprevoo »

When I try to download google-chrome I keep getting the same error.
Failed to download polkit: Missing MD5 checksum, override with -no -md5
What can I do about this?

Pelo

LXPUP 13.01 I am late !

#700 Post by Pelo »

Is only english spoken here ? I'm late of one distro.
IS there a HOW-to somewhere ?

I had problem in setting recording (resolved by clicking capture in Retrovol GUI, but what about alsamixer, some bug ?)

LXDE is not my cup of tea, because when you don't know where in the menu is hidden what you want, you will be gropingly searching (à tâtons)
LXDE is for little screens as portable phones, in my opinion. Nevertheless, i know that i will find quality by using LXPUP.

I can choose my desktop :
I tried to change to KDE, reboot, but arrived on a strange screen.
As i know a little bit Puppy Linux, i typed xwin startKDE, unsuccessfully.
Startmate, unsuccessfully too.
StartLXDE : ah ! it works.
Why when we choose KDE in the WM menu, does'nt it start at reboot ?
Bonne journée

Eyes-Only

#701 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Pelo, :)

It is because LXPup doesn't come with these other desktop managers pre-installed, okie? This is why when you type: "xwin startkde" KDE does not start up - you must install it.

The best way of doing so is by going to http://sourceforge.net/projects/checkma ... es/Slacko/ and downloading "kde-4.10-slacko_5.4.0.3.sfs" to your "home folder" on your hard drive ( if you have a frugal install ) or to the folder that holds your LXPup save file.

Next, you would restart your LXPup and go to the "boot manager" found in "Start/System/Boot manager...". With that you'll be allowed to select the KDE.sfs to load on the next reboot.

Then upon doing that you can drop to the "login manager/logout" using "PupShutDown" in "Utilities" and once in the black screen ( which is a very large command prompt ) it is here where you would simply type "xwin startkde" ( or you may be required to type "xwin startkde4" where it is the KDE4 environment, okie? )

I hope that these sets of instructions were clear enough for you Pelo - and I hope that you will have much enjoyment from your LXPup! - as do I!! 8) :D

Bonne chance mon ami et amicalement!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

peebee

LxPup 13.11

#702 Post by peebee »

I have made full iso distributions - LxPup-13.11 - based on LxPup-by-SFS

see:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 071#730071

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Sat 30 Nov 2013, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

oligin10

GeNOME1 by Jerome

#703 Post by oligin10 »

Hi guys, thought you might be interested in this. Jerome has posted his new distro on Linux Softpedia. Very disappointed he didn't post this here also, but I am aware of some of the problems he talked about. Just thought you might want to know. Thanks, Rob

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/O ... 2690.shtml

peebee

Re: GeNOME1 by Jerome

#704 Post by peebee »

oligin10 wrote:Hi guys, thought you might be interested in this. Jerome has posted his new distro on Linux Softpedia. Very disappointed he didn't post this here also, but I am aware of some of the problems he talked about. Just thought you might want to know. Thanks, Rob

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/O ... 2690.shtml
I think?!? the download is mate-precise.iso which Jerome issued on 12-aug-12. It is based on Precise5.6.0

http://sourceforge.net/projects/matepuppy/files/

Suspect it's just Softpedia "catching up" in some way??

Cheers
PeeBee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

oligin10

Missed that

#705 Post by oligin10 »

Hi PeeBee, I guess I didn't look at the date. Still, I think someone had to have sent this to them. And I didn't remember anything about GeNome Linux before this. Thanks, Rob

vito

success with kde but none with cinnamon

#706 Post by vito »

Hello just installed cinnamon 1.6-v3 on lxpup 13.01 full. However, when I launch the desktop background comes up but no icons or anything else.
I have read on the net that if I could access dconf that I could navigate to a page that has a setting to show icons. However, even though this is installed, I don't seem to be able to call it up. I am using an old HP desktop single core intel with 4 gig, a great xp machine and even better puppylinux - lxpup machine.

Thanks for any help you might give,
Cheers,
Vito

XP Refugee

Mate LxPup

#707 Post by XP Refugee »

I think i'm running 14.03? anyway, I LIKE the MATE desktop/whatever thing :)
Can I put that on here? maybe toggle back n forth while I decide?

additionally, LxPup saved my butt MANY times in my learning of linux. I lost XP on the other netbook and installed Mint 17 on it but still favor Pup. I like how easy it is to change gamma values and alter color. Everyone on Mint is VERY PINK and I can find no way to alter this even with this full whizbang two Out house sink distro. Disappointing really. I do with I could get a better image viewer on Pup tho, even Geeqie is sadly lacking. I like Caja on MATE MUCH better than PCfileMan. Rox is just way too confusing with all that pin stuff.
ALL PROPS to jege69(sp) and peejay and mick01 !!!! keep up the good work. I think being #10 on distroW is not so bad. Dunno what it is now, that's from an old post. LxPup is very easy for a newb to get around in. Don't much like PPM tho. Cannot figure out how to use the terminal at ALL with the # instead of $ and sudo apt-get thang. I like the package manager in MintMATE because I can cruise around in it looking for stuff. PPM I click on anything and I'm commited, it begins to the DL/install thing, often following thru even AFTER I've hit the CANCEL button. And sometimes it says successful install and while checking things ANOTHER window pops up saying i've asked to install some thing that i did NOT, and it puts THAT in too. ACK!!!! dun like that at ALL. But all in all I'm stuck on LxPup at this point. I really think it's got great potential. Thinkin about buying some cheap used netbooks and installing several variants to play with. Or at least getting many more USB sticks to put more versions on.

One thing...a 2 gig save file takes like 4 minutes to save and shut down. Any way I can get around this? I'm reluctant to put it ON the HD with XP after losing my other XP. I HAVE to have at least one XP machine.

Volhout

wrong thread

#708 Post by Volhout »

Hi XP-refugee,

If you are running the LxPup 14.03, this is noth the right thread to pose your question. I must admit it is a bit confusing.

The thread you need is :

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=89270

The confusion starts becuase this thread, and early version of LxPup, is based on Slackware 14. But the software was build in 2013. The author of the software Jeyj69 is no longer with us. But his work was carried on by PeeBee in a different thread.

The new thread I am refering you to is also based on Slackware 14, but build in 2014 (march). Hence LxPup 14.03. And the athor is PeeBee...

Regards,

Volhout

XP Refugee

#709 Post by XP Refugee »

ok, thanks...I pasted THIS post into that thread and went to check on it not even one day later. It's GONE.

is there a secret handshake here?

peebee

Re: Mate LxPup

#710 Post by peebee »

XP Refugee wrote:I think i'm running 14.03? anyway, I LIKE the MATE desktop/whatever thing :)
Can I put that on here? maybe toggle back n forth while I decide?
see:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 512#784512