Lxpup 14 final 7-20-2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
xstylezx

#631 Post by xstylezx »

Jejy69, what I do is add the zd1211 folder from your older lxpup versions into lib/firmware. It can be found in all your older lxpup versions and should be in beta 1 also. I just retrieved "zd1211" from "lib/firmware" on a release of lxpup that does connect to wifi and dropped it into the "lib/firmware" folder. Then i just add a "modprobe zd1211rw" into xinitrc file or anywhere to would issue the "modprobe zd1211rw" command on startup. Then it loads the firmware up and allows frisbee to connect for me.

I personally liked the first kernel you used in beta 1 better. I could load up puppy package manager and grab my nvidia driver with that kernel. Now the nvidia drivers in ppm dont match up with new kernels your using. Im sure thats not hard to work around either way. Dont forget about video thumbnails for me in pcmanfm. Its driving me crazy trying to get them to work in pcmanfm! :shock:

Jejy69

#632 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello xstylezx :)

Thanks for your tip, zd.... firmware will be added next time. Don't worry about drivers, I will try to compile them. :)

About the thumbnails, they works thanks to totem.
Luckily I compiled totem, and all its dependencies, you just have to install it. I tried and it works, I have thumbnails icons.

To install Totem + Deps, open a terminal and paste :

Code: Select all

slapt-get --install totem totem-pl-parser gst-libav gst-plugins-bad1 gst-plugins-bad1-extra gst-plugins-base1 gst-plugins-good1 gst-plugins-ugly1 gst-plugins-ugly1-extra gstreamer1 clutter clutter-gst clutter-gtk cogl json-glib libsoup gmime gobject-introspection at-spi2-atk at-spi2-core gtk+3 libpeas libarchive lua libquvi gsettings-desktop-schemas
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite Linux distrbution on the Citadel.

peebee

#633 Post by peebee »

Hi Jejy69

I regret to report that LxPup 13.04 Beta3 does not support Broadcom wifi as issued.

The wl driver for the new kernel is not present at all. The driver made for ThinSlacko - here - works

The firmware for the b43 driver is present but is not in the right place to be found and any mechanism that should be installing it to the right location seems to have stopped working. dmesg says:
[ 36.457382] b43-phy0: Broadcom 4311 WLAN found (core revision 13)
[ 36.510033] b43-phy0: Found PHY: Analog 4, Type 2 (G), Revision 9
[ 36.530148] Broadcom 43xx driver loaded [ Features: PMNLS ]
[ 36.636476] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode13.fw" not found
[ 36.636480] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43-open/ucode13.fw" not found
If you manually copy the firmware from /lib/modules/all-firmware/b43/lib/firmware to /lib/firmware then the b43 driver works after a reboot.

Also, in pcmanfm, the Desktop applications under the Applications bookmark never open.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Jejy69

#634 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello !

Thanks Peebee !
I think it's fixed in the latest ISO.
I downgraded menu-cache ( applications menu issue ), since the 0.4.1 causes a crash, with glib : "double linked"...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/checkma ... o/download

Cheers !

xstylezx

#635 Post by xstylezx »

Jejy69, I meant to get back to you sooner. I issued the command in terminal for totem, I got a couple of error messages during completion that I didn't really have time to spend a lot of time on. Hopefully you will include thumbs in a final :D

Going to try the beta 4 and see how it works for me. The beta 1 kernel so far has been the only one to work consistently on my computer and graphics card. I'm at 2gb ram, and pae works better so far on lxpup... :?

R-S-H

#636 Post by R-S-H »

Hi.

Within the last weeks I did mostly do some work to get some main features from my LazY Puppy to work in other puppies. Therfor I did create my VSP-LazY-Puppy-Builder, which is a script that installs some PET files, runs some Scripts to modify some files and gives me just a few steps to do, to create a new puppy derivative, that gives about 75 to 95 percent of LazY Puppy's comfort to me - by using then a different puppy! :D

By now I did create a VSP Puppy from Three Headed Dog and also a LazY MacPup - just for example (there are some more like based on Precise etc.).

But, today has been a very special day!

Today I did download the LxPup 13.01 and turned it into LazY LxPup 13.02 whithin a few hours. It seems to run very good on my computer and it looks very nice (now). :wink:

Thanks for this nice LxPup 13.01!

RSH
Attachments
LazYLxP1302.jpg
LazY LXP 13.02 running LP2_Gimp2612.sfs by SFS P.L.U.S. RunScript
(74.66 KiB) Downloaded 1139 times
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy Home
The new LazY Puppy Information Centre[/url][/b]

Jejy69

#637 Post by Jejy69 »

Hi !

Maybe, this is the latest beta.
I am quite optimistic about this release.

#########################
-Appearance
-Menu
-GTK +2 updated
-Menu Bug fixed
-Firmware Issue fixed
-Control Center
-Some applications removed
-Many Bugs fixed too.
I meant to get back to you sooner. I issued the command in terminal for totem, I got a couple of error messages during completion that I didn't really have time to spend a lot of time on. Hopefully you will include thumbs in a final
Strange? Try with the latest ISO.
I just tried, and I have no problem. If you still have problems, can you tell me which are they?
Attachments
capture17429.jpg
(7.74 KiB) Downloaded 1091 times
capture15345.png
(72.04 KiB) Downloaded 1083 times
capture11987.jpg
(54.76 KiB) Downloaded 1064 times

Jejy69

#638 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello RSH, :)

You intrigue me a lot, I'll try this software I absolutely do not know.
Please, what is the link to this software?

Have a nice day !

natgab

#639 Post by natgab »

Is beta5 a PAE only ISO? I'm still using the non-PAE beta2 on my laptop.

Jejy69 wrote:Hi !

Maybe, this is the latest beta.
I am quite optimistic about this release.

-Appearance
-Menu
-GTK +2 updated
-Menu Bug fixed
-Firmware Issue fixed
-Control Center
-Some applications removed
-Many Bugs fixed too.
I meant to get back to you sooner. I issued the command in terminal for totem, I got a couple of error messages during completion that I didn't really have time to spend a lot of time on. Hopefully you will include thumbs in a final
Strange? Try with the latest ISO.
I just tried, and I have no problem. If you still have problems, can you tell me which are they?
[b]Thinkpad T43[/b] / Pentium M 1.86Ghz / 2.0GB RAM / 100GB HD / 1024 x 768 XGA / Intel 915GM Video / Intel 8280FB Audio / Atheros AR5212 WIFI / DVD-CDRW-ROM / Ubuntu MATE 15.04 / LxPupTahr15.05

Jejy69

#640 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello Natgab !

No problem, I kept the kernel without PAE. :wink:
What a coincidence, I finished watching Kiki anime today. :lol:

R-S-H

#641 Post by R-S-H »

Jejy69 wrote:Hello RSH, :)

You intrigue me a lot, I'll try this software I absolutely do not know.
Please, what is the link to this software?

Have a nice day !
Hi.

What Software are you talking about?

VSP-LazY-Puppy-Builder-Script?

SFS P.L.U.S.?

The ISOs?

RSH

natgab

#642 Post by natgab »

--Great! I will download when I get back home from work to load it on my laptop so I can see all the improvements. The pictures look great.

I hope you also try some of the other movies by the director, Hayao Miyazaki. I love all his movies.

Jejy69 wrote:Hello Natgab !

No problem, I kept the kernel without PAE. :wink:
What a coincidence, I finished watching Kiki anime today. :lol:
[b]Thinkpad T43[/b] / Pentium M 1.86Ghz / 2.0GB RAM / 100GB HD / 1024 x 768 XGA / Intel 915GM Video / Intel 8280FB Audio / Atheros AR5212 WIFI / DVD-CDRW-ROM / Ubuntu MATE 15.04 / LxPupTahr15.05

natgab

#643 Post by natgab »

Hi Jerome,

I installed beta 5 on my laptop, my small problems:

1) Had trouble with save file. First time got corrupted after I had added a few applications and tried to do first save. Wiped my USB, re-installed

and then save file worked fine with all my applications installed.

2) XORG opened to 800 x 600 and filled only 3/4 of screen. In beta 2 it opened up full screen at 800 x 600. (see picture)

3) Task Manager icon on bar is only halfway. If people don't know how to adjust settings, this might be a problem.

4) Desktop Preferences opened up behind the LXpup control center window, everything else opens in front.

5) I LOVE the small set of built-in applications. That is the other problem I have with regular Puppies (or Debian). I don't need 3 different

text editors and all those specialty applications that most people don't use. Gsplapt worked quick and easy to add Firefox and my regular applications.

6) Large button are great on the panels, no more accidents!

7) Installed VLC, did not work. Messed up GNOME player aftwards.

Now I don't have a working media player : ( <--Any ideas? I tried removing & re-installing VLC.

Jejy69

#644 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello Natgab !
I hope you also try some of the other movies by the director, Hayao Miyazaki. I love all his movies.
Yes ! My favorites are Mononoke Hime, Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi and Tenkū no shiro Rapyuta. The most famous, it seems. :)

Thanks for your report,

1) Strange thing, you reinstalled same apps between and after ?

2) Kernel seems to be too recent, I'll make an second ISO with an older one.

3) Indeed, I think it's because of the resolution. I search a solution.

4) I don't know how to fix it ><'

5) & 6) Good news !

7) VLC 2.0.6 is available. Compiled to allow root user. It works :D.
Don't forget to update Gslapt.

Thanks

Hello R-S-H,

I'm talking about VSP-LazY-Puppy-Builder-Script.

Thanks

:)

R-S-H

#645 Post by R-S-H »

Hello R-S-H,

I'm talking about VSP-LazY-Puppy-Builder-Script.
Hi,

I assumed you meant this script, but was not sure! :lol:

Yeah, in fact this script is not known at all, because this is made for my own purposes and I could not imagine, it might be useful for other users and/or could be create some interest. So, that's why it is currently only usable for user that are able to read/speak/write German language. Also it is currently set up only for the use of the main SFS from my private LazY Puppy version 3 - which is not available on the web.

But there are some good news - hopefully...

I am currently working on this Script. Creating a nice GUI to set up preferences and stuff easily, adding option for the use of the main SFS from LazY Puppy 2.0.2 - which is still available on the web, adding popup Info GUIs etc.pp.

Unfortunately everything is still made in German language only. It's too much text, too specific somehow so, I'm not able to do the translations of the locales file.

When finishing my work on the script I'll try to find someone who is able to do the translations for this. If successful I'll return to this.

RSH
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(43.3 KiB) Downloaded 725 times
image-1.jpg
(47.6 KiB) Downloaded 735 times
image-3.jpg
(45.2 KiB) Downloaded 722 times

lvds

#646 Post by lvds »

Hi Jerome,

Thanks for your hard work ! I've been testing Lxpup 13.04 beta5 but I noticed severe issues.

My hardware is very common and works all out of the box with Slacko 5.5 or Precise 5.5 or upup-precise non pae kernel. But with your Lxpup I did not have sound and no network.

I love the overall look and feel, that is something I always thought puppy distributions need to improve. For instance the improved control center is excellent.

Another personal impression, I found weird to have graphics program but no internet browser.
If I had to choose I would say I prefer a browser rather than mtpaint or alike :-)

Finally, I did a retry with upup precise 3.8.3 then I put the lxpup sfs. My hardware was all working good.

I hope you can improve Lxpup, it's great :-)

Best regards

natgab

#647 Post by natgab »

---Jerome,

Beta5 does not like my Thinkpad. :cry: I had trouble again with the save file. So I did a clean wipe, and did a new install and only Firefox installed and I can't get it to save at first boot. It goes through steps and just stays in saving but never shuts down and won't reboot. I tried different sizes of save file too.

On forced reboot, the USB stick was showing as corrupted. I had to boot into Windows on my main computer ( I usually use OS X) to do a low level format on the USB stick. I am back to 13.04 beta2 for now.

---Anybody else have this problem with their computer?

EDIT: Problem was my USB. <- Forgot to set BOOT flag.

EDIT 2 I added Abiword, Gnumeric, FF 20, GIMP. All work fine. Still could not install VLC 2.0.6, install froze. Pidgin or emesene install but don't want to work. Maybe a library for Instant Messaging missing?
Last edited by natgab on Sun 12 May 2013, 19:04, edited 4 times in total.

Tote

#648 Post by Tote »

Some problems too, I can't get wireless connection ; failed to raise interface wlan0. Error! ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS; No such file or directory.

Also, strangely, CPU usage showing 70% :?

Thinkpad T61

natgab

#649 Post by natgab »

---I get 50% CPU usage with Firefox playing a Youtube video at 360p. How is your Thinkpad with video, I'm thinking of bumping up to a T60/61/X60? Most people on the Thinkpad forums use Windows, so comparisons aren't the same.
Tote wrote:Some problems too, I can't get wireless connection ; failed to raise interface wlan0. Error! ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS; No such file or directory.

Also, strangely, CPU usage showing 70% :?

Thinkpad T61

Tote

#650 Post by Tote »

Sent a PM about the T61.