Lxpup 14 final 7-20-2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
inoxidabile

#556 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi Terry H,
You are absolutely right, I made the check in a better way and I must say that's exactly as said by Jejy69.
Just one thing: to go out from Xfce, instead of type "ctrl+alt+backspace", I selected once again the other desktop (e.g. Lxde) from the gui. However, as he said, the WM changer isn't perfect... but, the whole system is so smatr that this bug becomes insignificant ! :)

Hi natgab,
I haven't any "measurement" but I can say that Puppy can have a "resurrection effect" on an old pc :D I always use it to check "prehistoric" machines and repair them (neglecting some trouble about hw compatibility :( , but for this Puppy 4.3.1 is the best!).
Since I tested several Puppy derivatives, I must say LxPup is one of the better about efficiency as reference to its features, then without considering something like TurboPup, pupNgo or other "fatless/barebone".
I don't know if it's due to slacko background or whatsoever, but I agree with Volhout, it's "refreshing" :D ... funny and responsive.
Just for play, it could be interesting comparison between Puppy derivative instead of Puppy vs other OS :)
I feel You are more skilled than me and I'm very interested in Your test about "trim" of applications... I hope You will have success :)

natgab

#557 Post by natgab »

hey I got a question,

Puppy Package Manager shows I have Abiword and Gnumeric installed already. I don't see them in the menu and can't figure out how to access them.

I wanted to use them instead of Libre Office, since I only need them for occasional use on my laptop. They also have the advantage that they open up instantly and Libre Office takes a few seconds. ( Lxpuppy is spoiling me ) Anybody know what to do?

[b]Thinkpad T43[/b] / Pentium M 1.86Ghz / 2.0GB RAM / 100GB HD / 1024 x 768 XGA / Intel 915GM Video / Intel 8280FB Audio / Atheros AR5212 WIFI / DVD-CDRW-ROM / Ubuntu MATE 15.04 / LxPupTahr15.05

Terry H

#558 Post by Terry H »

natgab wrote:hey I got a question,

Puppy Package Manager shows I have Abiword and Gnumeric installed already. I don't see them in the menu and can't figure out how to access them.

I wanted to use them instead of Libre Office, since I only need them for occasional use on my laptop. They also have the advantage that they open up instantly and Libre Office takes a few seconds. ( Lxpuppy is spoiling me ) Anybody know what to do?

Hi natgab,

I checked my Package Manager in my installation of LXPUP 13.01 and it is the same. I searched for the executables for these programs and they are not present.

If you click on the entries in Package Manager, you will be asked if you want to install the package.

I you prefer using these applications, you should be able to install them.

eadmaster

#559 Post by eadmaster »

Also i'd like to vote for a PAE version!

inoxidabile

#560 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi Terry H, hi natgab,
IMHO the "install" of that two apps would be a little problem (if it's possible, of course... :) ) but it's one half of it... how could be removed LibreOffice?

EDIT: Just because I'm curious, I tried Carolina 005 (a derivative of Saluki by the great jemimah).
In its control panel there is this... Remove builtin packages.
It's amazing! ...two clicks and I removed Pidgin, Thunderbird... :D
I suppose it's not new for the people more experienced than me but for me, surely, I have never seen this before in Puppy. :oops:
If You have time, give it a try, maybe it could be introduced in LxPup. :)

peebee

rox dependencies

#561 Post by peebee »

Hi Jerome

There are programs (e.g. YASSM) that call rox - this Lxpup therefore needs the same technique you used in previous pups of copying rox to Rox and then editing rox to make it execute pcmanfm....

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

natgab

#562 Post by natgab »

inoxidabile wrote:Hi Terry H, hi natgab,
IMHO the "install" of that two apps would be a little problem (if it's possible, of course... :) ) but it's one half of it... how could be removed LibreOffice?

EDIT: Just because I'm curious, I tried Carolina 005 (a derivative of Saluki by the great jemimah).
I suppose it's not new for the people more experienced than me but for me, surely, I have never seen this before in Puppy. :oops:
Great find! Yes it would be a nice addition to Lxpup. I tried to install Abiword by using the search button and I was able to install (even if it said it was already installed). :?

I also tried to install Gnumeric, the program said it installed, but never started the yellow download window. So no Gnumeric. And hopefully we find a way to remove Libre Office, since it would save space. When you are using a puppy, you can probably always use the extra HD space. :)
[b]Thinkpad T43[/b] / Pentium M 1.86Ghz / 2.0GB RAM / 100GB HD / 1024 x 768 XGA / Intel 915GM Video / Intel 8280FB Audio / Atheros AR5212 WIFI / DVD-CDRW-ROM / Ubuntu MATE 15.04 / LxPupTahr15.05

inoxidabile

#563 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi, I've seen a strange behavior in Firefox...
At begin, I thought it was only a problem of that puplet but its present also in LxPup and it seems more wide!

With Firefox, sometimes happens this: if I go to a webpage and I stop the loading (e.g. it takes too time and then I close the browser), then at re-opening Firefox it seems not more able to connect to anything... unless I act on panel icon in order to disconnect from eth0 and restart connection.
It's annoying, it's like "something keeps in mind" that there is a connection to establish :(
The test I did have been the use of different setup tool for network and some change in Firefox preferences (such as to delete history)... of course without success :cry:

Does anyone have any idea? others having this trouble? should I post this as a more general topic?
Thanks in advance for any info or suggestion!

Update
unfortunately, I can confirm the mentioned behavior :cry:
When for any reason a page doesn't finish the load, at restart it seems that the connection becomes not active and Firefox try again to load that web page.
I'm not able to say if it's due to Firefox or/and network management but looking on web I have seen that I'm not the only one.
Following some suggestions, I found the solution (maybe... :) ):

1) Disable other network tools (as frisbee) and use sns (SimpleNetworkSetup), ckeck ok as default tool; maybe also Dougal Wizard but not frisbee

2) Setups about Firefox
- Go to -> preferences-network-advanced settings and use system proxy settings or no proxy (if possible...)
- Type about:config in the address bar and press the "Enter" key. When you see a warning, click I'll be careful, I promise! button.
- Then, in the Filter bar, type network.http.max-connections. Right click the preference network.http.max-connections and choose Modify, change the value to 30 or 48.
- Then, search for browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash Double click on true to toggle it to false.
- Now, search for browser.sessionstore.max_resumed_crashes and set it to 0
Finally, exit the page and restart Firefox.

In my feel these are more workarounds than true solutions but I hope the above could be useful for something else , however :)

rogerology

Install Lxpup to USB without a CD

#564 Post by rogerology »

Will this work to install Lxpup to USB without a CD?
Format the usb to fat32 file system.
I don't think this is completely necessary, but if possible, mark the usb partition as bootable. (using a program like fdisk)
Prepare (mount) the Puppy Linux iso file so that you can for read/extract the files from it.
Copy all the files from the iso to the usb stick.
Create an empty file on the USB drive named: USBFLASH
On the USB, rename the file isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg.
Edit syslinux.cfg and change "pmedia=cd" to "pmedia=usbflash". (Be aware, editing this file may prevent USB booting if your editor modifies carriage return on the line ends.)
Install syslinux loader to the USB drive in Linux
syslinux -s /dev/sdb1

Install syslinux loader to the USB drive in Windows (assuming F: is your usb)
syslinux.exe -mas F:
Source: http://seperohacker.blogspot.com.es/201 ... ut-cd.html

Can I format the USB to ext3, or does it necessary need to be fat32?
In case these instructions work, is this type of installation a frugal install or will I get an installation medium that will be used to boot my netbook and run 'Puppy Universal Installer' to install lxpup on to another USB drive?

natgab

Re: Install Lxpup to USB without a CD

#565 Post by natgab »

rogerology wrote:Will this work to install Lxpup to USB without a CD?
    Format the usb to fat32 file system.
    I don't think this is completely necessary, but if possible, mark the usb partition as bootable. (using a program like fdisk)
    Prepare (mount) the Puppy Linux iso file so that you can for read/extract the files from it.
    Copy all the files from the iso to the usb stick.
    Create an empty file on the USB drive named: USBFLASH
    On the USB, rename the file isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg.
    Edit syslinux.cfg and change "pmedia=cd" to "pmedia=usbflash". (Be aware, editing this file may prevent USB booting if your editor modifies carriage return on the line ends.)
    Install syslinux loader to the USB drive in Linux
    syslinux -s /dev/sdb1

Install syslinux loader to the USB drive in Windows (assuming F: is your usb)
    syslinux.exe -mas F:
    Source: http://seperohacker.blogspot.com.es/201 ... ut-cd.html

Can I format the USB to ext3, or does it necessary need to be fat32?
    In case these instructions work, is this type of installation a frugal install or will I get an installation medium that will be used to boot my netbook and run 'Puppy Universal Installer' to install lxpup on to another USB drive?
      Did you get the USB to work? I always use UNetbootin to install Puppys or other Linux distros. Just format the USB to FAT32, and follow instrucions from website. The program will install and leave your USB bootable. Program works in Windows / OS X / Linux.

Once you boot from that USB, you will be in Puppy and you can use the Puppy universal installer to make another USB. If you like how you used the Puppy, you can save that session to the PC hard drive and you would indeed have a frugal install.

oldyeller

#566 Post by oldyeller »

inoxidabile wrote:Hi Terry H, hi natgab,

@ inoxidabile,

This is in LxPup it is under setup-installing Utilities-

@ natgab
      I also tried to install Gnumeric, the program said it installed, but never started the yellow download window. So no Gnumeric. And hopefully we find a way to remove Libre Office, since it would save space. When you are using a puppy, you can probably always use the extra HD space
      You will have to remove it manually.

@ Jejy69 Awesome job on this one,

I running the full with live cd everything is working just great. No problems connecting to the internet with Frisbee.

Cheers

Jejy69

#567 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello !

Adding Frisbee was a mistake...
      I had a lot of trouble with also.

I lack of time, Especially professional reasons, and contests coming... I will not repeat Lxpup entirely ( PAE ), what I'll do is provide directly differents WM for Puppys Sources (Precise / Slacko).
      Maybe one SFS to transform a Puppy in Lxpup like.

I'm sorry not to be able to complete requests, resolve bugs for now ...

I will provide a few hours, KDE 4.10 with Calligra 2.6, and Tellico 2.3.7.
      They'll appear in "Desktop" section of this forum. For now, they work with Slacko 5.4, and 5.4.1 beta.

Mate 1.5.5 will be released soon too.

Thank you for your understanding...
      I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite Linux distrbution on the Citadel.

mavrothal

#568 Post by mavrothal »

Hi Jérôme
      I finally managed to try Lxpup_13.01-FULL.iso and Lxpup_13.01.iso.
      Very nice job! :D

I was a bit “disappointed
      == [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

simargl

#569 Post by simargl »

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

natgab

#570 Post by natgab »

Jejy69 wrote:Hello !

Adding Frisbee was a mistake...
      I had a lot of trouble with also.

I lack of time, Especially professional reasons, and contests coming... I will not repeat Lxpup entirely ( PAE ), what I'll do is provide directly differents WM for Puppys Sources (Precise / Slacko).
      Maybe one SFS to transform a Puppy in Lxpup like.

I'm sorry not to be able to complete requests, resolve bugs for now ...

I will provide a few hours, KDE 4.10 with Calligra 2.6, and Tellico 2.3.7.
      They'll appear in "Desktop" section of this forum. For now, they work with Slacko 5.4, and 5.4.1 beta.

Mate 1.5.5 will be released soon too.

Thank you for your understanding...
      ---No problem Jerome. We all have work or school that gets in the way. :lol: I have always used Simple Network Setup on other Puppys and it always works fine for my PCs and network.

Very happy with Lxpup 13.01 for now. Can't wait to see the updates when you have them ready. thanks again for the work you have done.

Jejy69

#571 Post by Jejy69 »

Hi mates !

@mavrothal, thanks for this report, I didn't know that 1gb was not enough.
      Indeed, we can save space. I'm working on it as soon as possible. :)

@natgab, Thanks you, I was a little afraid that my absence is a source of discontent. :) If you want, I released today KDE 4.10 sfs, but I don't know if it works correctly on Lxpup 13.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84579

Cheers !

Terry H

#572 Post by Terry H »

Jejy69 wrote: I released today KDE 4.10 sfs, but I don't know if it works correctly on Lxpup 13.
      I installed the kde4.10 sfs in lxpup13.01. Everything I tried worked. The WM Switcher application, also worked when selecting KDE..

It did however appear to have an issue. A notification was displayed:

" Nepomuk Semantic Desktop needs Virtuoso RDF Server to store its data. Installing the Virtuoso Soprano plugin ismandatory for using Nepomuk."

Whatever is missing, it didn't appear to interfere with the operation of the system. I did some searching in Puppy Package Manager and found a package for Soprano 2.7.6.

I don't know if this package is relevant to the notification message. I didn't install it as there were 10 dependencies which were huge.

Jejy69

#573 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello Terry H,

Yep, Nepomuk doesn't work with Root account. So i removed some applications linked to this software, like this, KDE sfs is more light, but the pup-up is always here...
      But Nepomuk is not important. :)

billyboy47

#574 Post by billyboy47 »

I am trying to run it also on my Vye S18 mini with 1mb of ram but it is too slow for some reason. It has an AMD GeodeLX processor.
      I can get the screen resoltion sorted via vesa from xorg but still remains slow.

I have downloaded Lxpup Slacko 13.01 to my old asus with 526mb ram, all is well. Responsive etc etc, even with youtube video!

Any ideas regarding the geodeLX or is it simply rubbish at handling anything? I have windows xp on it currently and it still cannot handle youtube videos correctly.

natgab

#575 Post by natgab »

Jejy69 wrote:Hi mates !

@mavrothal, thanks for this report, I didn't know that 1gb was not enough.
      Indeed, we can save space. I'm working on it as soon as possible. :)

@natgab, Thanks you, I was a little afraid that my absence is a source of discontent. :) If you want, I released today KDE 4.10 sfs, but I don't know if it works correctly on Lxpup 13.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84579

Cheers !
      ---I'm currently using the older version of MATE, the one included with LXpup13. Do I have to change back to LXDE, delete the MATE.sfs and then add the new one version and then switch DE again? I would rather ask before I do it and not mess things up.

The new KDE I am going to add to an extra USB with a new install of Lxpup 13. I haven't used KDE since Kubuntu 7.10 I think. :D This USB is on my keychain for emergencies.