Lxpup 14 final 7-20-2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
inoxidabile

#496 Post by inoxidabile »

I'm happy too and also because I have had the chance to learn something, such as how to obtain a manual frugal install... I know, maybe it isn't a software guru's performance but for me it is :D

Coming back to the topic, I would like to underline this: ok, there isn't an absolute relationship between old/new release but... even if with a 5.2.8 based there are no problem, on the other hand with the latest official release (5.4.3, both types normal and retro) there is again.
Then, maybe, it could be wise to insert a little adjustment in future releases, like "something" as little delay or wait state, in order to avoid this problem or similar.
Maybe it's not a so wide problem but I've found that I'm not the only one who seen it.

The last test I did: I tried MyPup 1.0 / Slacko 5.3.3 / valiant_ship_vi.iso and I see the same behavior with the original usb external drive and the borrowed one (hmm... very quick this derivative even if it has Xfce... :) )
However, I'm going to send the thin client + usb external cd drive to a friend, because "it isn't enough" for my purposes (-> to see movies as streaming on web, in full screen tv and, to speak frankly I would like very much to know what are the minimum hw requirement for this, in term of cpu/ram/graphic...).
Then, if there will be need of further tests, please tell me because I will have no longer the hw to perform them in a couple of days.

ETP

sfs doesn't load

#497 Post by ETP »

Hi inoxidabile,
Then, if there will be need of further tests, please tell me because I will have no longer the hw to perform them in a couple of days.
Out of curiosity there is one final test that you could perhaps perform. When the system did boot with the USB stick (containing the duplicate main sfs file) it is not clear which sfs the system found – i.e. the one on the stick or the one on the CD.

If you could first rename the sfs on the stick to XXXpuppy_lxpup_12.sfs and then try again. If the system boots, it will prove that the one on the CD is being found and that the very act of plugging in a stick with files to be searched, introduced sufficient delay for puppy to find the main sfs on the CD. If it does not boot the placement of the main sfs on the stick was the key to success.

Finally you may want to post your H/W query in another more suitable thread.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

inoxidabile

#498 Post by inoxidabile »

Maybe I'm able to answer directly... I think it looks at the sfs file on the USB stick.
I say this because at shutdown it asked me about the save file and it pointed to USB stick.

ETP

#499 Post by ETP »

inoxidabile wrote:Maybe I'm able to answer directly... I think it looks at the sfs file on the USB stick.
I say this because at shutdown it asked me about the save file and it pointed to USB stick.
I regret not. It would do that in either case.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

playdayz

#500 Post by playdayz »

How to activate Help in Regular LxPup with Default Seamonkey
(The big remaster by playdayz with Mate and Google Chrome is NOT needed.)
Only this one little pet to install libsoup-gnome

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/libso ... _Lxpup.pet

3 Steps

1. Download and install the pet. It has libsoup-gnome plus patches for the Help in MtPaint and Gnumeric.

2. Edit /usr/share/applications/Seamonkey.desktop (Seamonkey Web Browser). Two changes are needed--change the Exec and Categories keys as indicated. Adding %U means accept a url argument; For some reason PPM seems to strip it off--hence the manual approach. Changing the Category from X-Internet to WebBrowser means that Seamonkey will show up in Preferred Applications. Right-click the file and Text Editor to Edit.

Code: Select all

Exec=mozilla %U
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=WebBrowser
3. Open Desktop -> Desktop Settings -> Preferred Applications and select Seamonkey Web Browser.

Help will work in Abiword and most programs. About links will also work from Help -> About in most programs.

Jejy69

#501 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello !

Sorry, I'm late ( as usual :evil: )
I confess that the problem faced inoxidabile , I do not know anything, I would have been useless and totally newbie...
Thank you to everyone who participated, I learned a lot.

I'm sorry, but :
Would it be possible for you to add a waitdev boot param to Lxpup?
I don't know how to do this ? :oops:

partsman

lxpup devx sfs

#502 Post by partsman »

just wondering where the 12.12 precise devx sfs file can be downloaded so we can compile and what is the correct md5 sum for the download thanks
enjoying lxpup ! nice work !

Jejy69

#503 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello partsman,

You can use the Pemasu's sfs. :)
Here :
http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/UpupPrec ... _3.7.2.sfs

Thanks you to try lxpup :D

peebee

#504 Post by peebee »

Jejy69 wrote:Hello partsman,

You can use the Pemasu's sfs. :)
Here :
http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/UpupPrec ... _3.7.2.sfs

Thanks you to try lxpup :D
Hi Jerome

I think?? you based LxPup on Upup Precise 54X3 with kernel 3.2.29 in which case the devx is in:

http://smokey01.com/pemasu/UpupPrecise/UpupPrecise54X3/

md5 is also there.

the one you've mentioned above is for the experimental Upup Precise with kernel 3.7.2.....

Hope I've got this right....
Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Volhout

Is this becomming a team efford ?

#505 Post by Volhout »

Jey69, Playdays,

I have not read the whole thread, but I was surprized to see Playdays join in. After Larry's succes of perfecting Lucid (still use it every day) and Jeromes energy and excelent initial work, LxPup could very well become the new Puppy generation.

Is this the plan ? A firm successor the the popular Lucid (also Ubuntu based). With LXDE, an Ubuntu core, and Puppies heart, it would make Lubuntu completely obsolete ....
I have always been puzzled why Lubuntu (Abiword, Gnumeric, Chromium) is 690Mb in size (even before a 190Mb live update).

Volhout

:D Slacko 5.3.3 on eeePC, Lucid 528-4 on main desktop, Lubuntu 12:10 on eeePC :D

partsman

md5 sum

#506 Post by partsman »

sorry i should have been more specific i also needed the md5 sum for the lxpup 12.12 iso file to verify my download not on website didnt see it in this forum just the one for playdayz remaster i was looking for md5 of jejy69 12.12 lxpup but also thanks for all the info so far jejy69 & peebee lxpup really smokin !

Jejy69

#507 Post by Jejy69 »

Thank you, Peebee indeed I was wrong ... :oops:
Fortunately, you've seen this error.

partsman, the ISO's MD5 is :

0ce2b55bb24f678ca5c854ee405672e0
I forget this information on the Website...
For devx sfs, follow the Peebee's link. :)
I have not read the whole thread, but I was surprized to see Playdays join in. After Larry's succes of perfecting Lucid (still use it every day) and Jeromes energy and excelent initial work, LxPup could very well become the new Puppy generation.

Is this the plan ? A firm successor the the popular Lucid (also Ubuntu based). With LXDE, an Ubuntu core, and Puppies heart, it would make Lubuntu completely obsolete ....
I have always been puzzled why Lubuntu (Abiword, Gnumeric, Chromium) is 690Mb in size (even before a 190Mb live update).
Hello Volhout,

Thanks for this point of view, but I do not think lxpup, may one day become the new Puppy generation. However, Puppy might well be adopted LXDE as a new desktop environment ?

Is this the plan ? I confess that I do not thinking long term, but Why not ? :lol: But I think projects like Archpup or Carolina, will get a higher status than Lxpup. I hope not to disappoint, but the next version will be based on Slacko 5.4.
I also leave Gnome 3.x, which is becoming increasingly difficult to operate. I can not start Gnome 3.6. Maybe Gnome 4.0?
For now it is a source of instability in Puppy. Soon, I will probably propose a package of Xfce 4.10, with Thunar 1.5.3 (Yahoo, tabs, finally!)

playdayz

#508 Post by playdayz »

LxPup could very well become the new Puppy generation.

Is this the plan ?
There is no plan Volhout. I am a fan of Lxpup and Jejy69. I think Lxpup is a great Puppy because it has good usability, a modern look and feel, and a working recycle bin. I am glad I was able to figure out how to get the Help working but I have a heavy load and won't be able to do much more. I hope Jejy69 will continue and I hope testers and developers will help him.

Jejy69

#509 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello Playdayz !

Thanks for your package ! :D
Today, I happen to have gnumeric 1.12 complete ( all plugins ) with functional assistance!
I will try Abiword 2.9.4
Attachments
capture20844.jpg
(111.7 KiB) Downloaded 584 times

Jejy69

#510 Post by Jejy69 »

Full Abiword 2.9.4 ( all plugins ) with Gtk3, and working help. But package is big... Approximately 17mo.
Attachments
capture29380.jpg
(99.77 KiB) Downloaded 563 times

playdayz

#511 Post by playdayz »

gnumeric 1.12 complete ( all plugins ) with functional assistance!
Credit to BigPup with recognizing the importance of Functional Assistance to Puppy and doing the initial work on it.

italianman_2112

How To Change Desktops Mate/Gnome/Cinnamon/ Etc

#512 Post by italianman_2112 »

Hi everybody, I hope I am doing this right. I have been using puppy for a long time, and really liked XFCE on 528. I am trying out Lxpup 12.12 and LOVE IT ! holy cow is the LXDE smooth on this pup. I am wondering how to switch to gnome, mate etc ? Want to try chromium and having trouble with that as well. Thank you for your time :) Chris

James C

#513 Post by James C »

Just did a version of Lxpup with the latest k-3.2.37 kernel (non-pae) . My older hardware just doesn't like PAE. :)

# uname -a
Linux puppypc20748 3.2.37_12.12 #1 SMP Thu Jan 31 01:25:17 CST 2013 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
# 

Volhout

Test 1212 on Dell lattitude 6430

#514 Post by Volhout »

Good news,

Initial bootupt at correct resolution, wireless works, running from USB stick made with Pendrive Linux (select Puppy Lucid).

Tried live boot of 2 SFS's (GIMP and OPERA) got a freeze, but second try it worked fine. Cannot duplicate.

Nice crisp look and feel on this modern machine.

Will try to install the help fixes...

edit: install on a eeePC starts fine. minor practical problem: shutdown icon in bottom left is outside window (screen size 1024x600)...
Maybe an idea to remove one of the other icons, to make sure shutdown icon is visible.
Attachments
no shutdown icon bottom left.png
shutdown icon outside visible window
(65.9 KiB) Downloaded 1173 times

Jejy69

#515 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello !

@playdayz, sorry, I did not know there were credits for it. I was totally unaware of any work about it from BigPup. :| :?:

@italianman_2112, Welcome ! :)
I'm sorry, I removed Gnome ( causes a lot of instability ).
To change Desktop, first log out, and type command to start
Xfce: xwin xfce4-session
Mate: xwin mate-session
Kde: xwin startkde
Lxde: xwin startlxde
Trinity: xwin startkde ( You must choose between Kde or Trinity, since they have the same session launcher :? )

What are the problems with Chromium ?
For the next release, I added a WM switcher-like. It will be useless to know commands. :wink:

@James C, nice work ! I will use a non Pae kernel for the next release :wink: .

@Volhout, Nice news :D !
To change the launcher's position, you can simply add a 'space' applet after the launcher, and increase is size.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite Linux distrbution on the Citadel.