Lxpup 14 final 7-20-2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Jejy69

#331 Post by Jejy69 »

Thank you very much smil99, I'll redo a package with your changes, adding 'dbus-daemon - system' for each startup.
Thanks to you we'll can get a cinnamon stable and ready to use. :D

Thanks for your kind patience !

We will succeed!

Jejy69

---------------------------------TEST-----------------------

#332 Post by Jejy69 »

New Cinnamon package :
-Install package an simply launch "xwin gnome-session-cinnamon", don't need to restart.
I saved, rebooted, and Cinnamon works. I rebooted 6 times, I think it's enough :lol:

Maybe the final package ? :mrgreen:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/checkma ... t/download

Smil99 had a great idea by renaming .desktop files, so preventing them get started, and thus improving stability !
I added "dbus-daemon --system" in rc.local, to launch the process to each startup.

smil99

#333 Post by smil99 »

Hi jejy69
I installed cinnamon version 3 provided by you on a pristine install and I can happily confirm that cinnamon now survives after reboots. :D
Hooray!
Thanks for your efforts and cooperation.

Will post back if I encounter any show-stopper again. :)

Cheers.
Last edited by smil99 on Thu 01 Nov 2012, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]

oligin10

Problems with Abiword install

#334 Post by oligin10 »

Hi Jejy69, just wanted to let you know this. I uninstalled current Abiword, and then installed your new Abiword from your Sourceforge page. It installs and works, but it installs to Utility, not Document, Document/Publishing. Otherwise, everything so far looks good. Thanks, Rob
P.S. Frostwire installs the same way, into the Utility portion of Menu.

Jejy69

#335 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello !

@smil99, thanks you to confirm it works !
Now link is present on the website.
I wrote a new to announce that Cinnamon is now avalaible, and you helped me greatly. :)

@oligin10 Thanks you for your report, I will rebuild packages.
It's .desktop bug.
If you want, you can fix with editing abiword.desktop in /usr/share/applications. :)

I added 4 games :
-Nexuiz 2.5.2
-AssaultCube 1.1.0.4
-Lincity Ng 2.0
-Super Tux Kart 0.7.3

Thanks for your help !

yumatu

#336 Post by yumatu »

The best puppy with LXDE!Thanks Jejy69!

mandibule2005

Lxde

#337 Post by mandibule2005 »

Hello Jejy69

Fantastic distro ! cinnamon was a little bit demanding
for my old computer amd athlon xp i install compiz-xfce4 lucid
on top of cinnamon and now is very happy !!!

nufan

Possible for Precise w/o PAE

#338 Post by nufan »

Is there a possibility for a build using Precise Retro (w/o PAE)? Unfortunately my old Pentium M doesn't have PAE. I am currently enjoying using your slacko version.

pchan

Re: Lxde

#339 Post by pchan »

mandibule2005 wrote:Hello Jejy69

Fantastic distro ! cinnamon was a little bit demanding
for my old computer amd athlon xp i install compiz-xfce4 lucid
on top of cinnamon and now is very happy !!!
Hi,

Can you share on how to install compiz to puppy precise please?
Is it just download the compiz-xfce4 lucid pet and installing it? Any other missing dependencies files to download? What about python?

Thanks!

mandibule2005

lxpup

#340 Post by mandibule2005 »

Hello Pchan

On lxpup i install nvidia-glx-394.43-precisek3.2.29 from precise repo , thats for my gforce 6200 , reboot make a save file , install
cinnamonv3 , reboot install compiz-xfce4 reboot compiz was on

in the menu settings -- Appearance you change styles and icons and fonts and in the emerald settings you can change borders , you will have
to download some themes for emerald (google emerald themes) and click import that is it good luck.

smil99

#341 Post by smil99 »

Hi jejy69,
You may want to rectify this:
After installing cinnamon, many menu entries are lost. For example, third level menu entries under 'Multimedia' do not appear at the expected places. However, they are visible when one clicks 'All Applications' at the top of the menu tree.
Nevertheless, I am loving Cinnamon, thanks to you. :D

Cheers.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]

Jejy69

#342 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello !

I added a package for Xfce 4.8, on the website ! :)
However I recommend to use Carolina by Geoffrey and Elroy or ( Elroy and Geoffrey :lol: ) for a perfect Xfce puppy distribution.

mandibule2005, Wow, good job, I tried to get it working but without success for now. I will try to do qs you said, thanks :)

nufan, I begin to create a no-pae Lxpup based on the retro Precise tomorrow. :)
I think it will replace the venerable slacko version.
Thanks for your advice. :)

smil99, exact... Cinnamon's menu bug ? It seems it does not support sub-menus...
I will try to find something about it.

Thanks all !

pchan

Re: lxpup

#343 Post by pchan »

mandibule2005 wrote:Hello Pchan

On lxpup i install nvidia-glx-394.43-precisek3.2.29 from precise repo , thats for my gforce 6200 , reboot make a save file , install
cinnamonv3 , reboot install compiz-xfce4 reboot compiz was on

in the menu settings -- Appearance you change styles and icons and fonts and in the emerald settings you can change borders , you will have
to download some themes for emerald (google emerald themes) and click import that is it good luck.
Thanks for sharing. Since Jejy69 said that mensa high video is already installed, I might just go ahead and install compiz-xfce4 and see how it goes. I am surprised that we don't have to install python. maybe it is already installed in precise_lx. I wonder if it will work under lxde of mate or perhaps xfce? I am avoiding cinnamon at the moment because my netbook is not so powerful. when cinnamon for puppy becomes more stable and will not mess up my beautiful lxpup, I will have enough courage to try it.

The other thing I want to ask is : What should I do if i want to switch off compiz and return to lxde? Is it (ctrl+alt+backspace > xwin startlxde)?

In saluki, compiz provided a way to turn on and turn off under the control menu.

Thanks

Jejy69,

Look forward to the non pae precise version of lxpup!

mandibule2005

compiz

#344 Post by mandibule2005 »

hello I will try on another old computer today send you report if i succeed.

mandibule2005

Compiz

#345 Post by mandibule2005 »

I did not succeed with a old computer and older nvidia graphic card
GLX components missing Lxpup still very fast for this one.

P.S. Congrats for your web page !!!!

pchan

#346 Post by pchan »

Jejy69,

I have gone back and use slacko_multi for now. Your precise_lxpup is very well made but I find that precise itself is still in its very early stage. I might be wrong but I find that under precise, many pets and debs or even those from ubuntu will need modifications before they can work properly with precise puppy. It looks promising but it seems to be a new operating system by itself and not like lupu/lucid. Debs from ubuntu used to be very compatible for lupu.

But 01micko's slacko is at the moment very friendly so when i want slacko power, I use slacko_multi. When i want racy power i use saluki/carolina.

But who can deny Ubuntu's popularity! I used to also enjoy ubuntu 10.04 and I do notice that ubuntu precise, as an OS by itself, has some new power and speed to it. But for non technical users like myself, making older ubuntu's softwares to work with precise can be quite a struggle.

Luckily, you have also made slacko_multi to fall back on. Thanks!

Wow! I just realized that the xfce4 in your slacko_multi is not xfce4.8 but xfce4.10 (latest xfce4.10!!) Nice!

Jejy69

#347 Post by Jejy69 »

Hi,

mandibule2005, thanks for your try.
For the website, I improved Application entry. I think it's more polished.

pchan, you will can not use packages on the website with Slacko version which a bit out dated.

There is problem, I can't build and maintain 3 or 4 Lxpup version ?!
-Slacko 5.3
-Slacko 5.4
-Precise 5.4
-Precise 5.4 retro.

Will have to make a choice...

smil99

#348 Post by smil99 »

@jejy69
There is problem, I can't build and maintain 3 or 4 Lxpup version ?!
.... Will have to make a choice...
I would say go for Precise 5.4 since Ubuntu packages are always up to date. Besides, it is Barry's child at the moment.

On another note, Barry's Openshot (also found here at the forum Openshot 1.4.3 precise) for precise works okay on Barry's precise puppy 5.4. However, it fails in Precise Lxpup 11.12 apparently due to _glib.so mismatch.
Openshot installs a 67Kb _glib.so at /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/glib/ while Precise Lxpup 11.12 comes already with a 65Kb _glib.so (needed by cinnamon-settings to wok) found at /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/glib/. Openshot works if one replaces the original _glib.so in Precise Lxpup 11.12 with that installed by openshot. This breaks cinnamon-settings. The reverse also holds true. That is, cinnamon-settings work if one keeps the original and deletes the one installed by openshot. Thus, both openshot and cinnamon-settings do not work at the same time.
Any ideas as to how to solve this problem?

PS:
I just found out that openshot works in Precise Lxpup 11.12 when cinnamon is not installed. This means Cinnamon's 65Kb _glib.so conflicts with that of openshot which is 67Kb.

Cheers.
Last edited by smil99 on Sat 03 Nov 2012, 01:58, edited 1 time in total.

vicmz

#349 Post by vicmz »

I agree, Precise is the way to go. 8)
By the way, I love Precise LXpup. :D
I'm running a frugal install with Pupsaveconfig 2.2.5, it's amazing how fast it is! And stunning, too. :D
At my first install sound disappeared, but my second install has a working sound, so I wonder what did I install to get the sound cut :shock: (I installed audacious and then set it as default through Defaults-Chooser, right now I'm using DeaDBeeF and have no problems).Of course, I installed the Spanish langpack, so that I can check what new translations have to be added. LXpup control center is in English, where can I get a file to translate it?
Something strange, after installing Pupsaveconfig I can't reboot by clicking the Reboot button, I have to Log Out to command prompt and type reboot then press ENTER key (same for Power Off). Could anyone confirm this?
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

pchan

#350 Post by pchan »

Jejy69 wrote:Hi,

pchan, you will can not use packages on the website with Slacko version which a bit out dated.
Jejy69,

Oh Ok, I went to slacko_lxde and now back to precise_lxpup. I know you have the abilities but you have to make a choice and I think it is better that way.

Yes, it is a wise choice because of ubuntu support and Barry K is behind it.

I understand that soon BarryK will release Service pack 1. Precise is work in progress and it is progressing quite quickly.

By the way, I installed langpack_ja-1.5b.sfs (shinobar's scim Japanese input with anthy japanese dictionary). after setting the tool bar to switch bwtween english and Japanese to always appear on desktop, it worked ok.

The problem is when i open up leafpad, right click, go to input methods, I couldn't find a menu where I can choose SCIM input method.

In BarryK's precise5.4, the menu to change input methods is available.

In Chrome browser, when i right click on the box to input texts, i also can't find the menu where I am allowed to change the input methods to SCIM input. The menu that appeared just gave the option : System / none / simple. only.

It will be very helpful if you can just take a look into it and maybe it is not so difficult for you to find out how to make the input methods available.

It will help a lot.

Thanks!