Jejy69

#316 Post by Jejy69 »

Ups, right, it'fixed. :)
I added three packages :
-Abiword 2.9.2
-Skype 4.0.0.8
-Amsn 0.98.9

Hello pchan,

glad that the VLC package works, thank you. :)
If anything gets messed up my knowledge is at the moment not enough in order to find my way back to the way it is now. And the way it is now is great!

But of course, I am adventurous enough to take the plunge of installing cinnamon if there is a way to make it greater. And with what i see, if anybody can do it, it will most likely be you.
Thank you very much, I'm sure we can make cinnamon fully functional, you're help is welcome ! :D
if I can help you with something, do not hesitate.

About Xfce, normally, it will come, I work on it, but I have some issues to fix, for example, impossible to change a theme. :?
The basic theme stay, and it's a little ugly... :lol:

peebee

#317 Post by peebee »

Wow - just gets better and better....

Samba shares work as well:

smb://sharename

and both ftp and smb can be bookmarked for future access

GREAT!
Attachments
capture13386.png
(31.38 KiB) Downloaded 1781 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

mandibule2005

cinnamon

#318 Post by mandibule2005 »

I had success with cinnamon after installing Nvidia-Glx fron precise repo
thanks

But after reboot broke again :(

Jejy69

#319 Post by Jejy69 »

Pcmanfm is a small cachotier, it hides some interesting options :lol: !

Hi mandibule2005,
thanks for your report, do you saved your session and reboot ?
Just to know if your Cinnamon installation works after your reboot. :)

EDIT : ok, don't understand why it crashes... :cry: Thanks

2 more apps in Lxpup software center :
-Filezilla 3.5.3
-Astromenace 1.3.0

smil99

#320 Post by smil99 »

Hi jejy69,
When, Cinnamon crashes, could you start LXDE session ( xwin startlxde ), if yes, start lxde session, run a terminal, and type 'gnome-session-cinnamon'. What is displayed?
1. After installing cinnamon on a pristine precise-lxpup-11.12, typing 'gnome-session-cinnamon' at the terminal gave the following error message:
# gnome-session-cinnamon
gnome-session[10402]: WARNING: Could not connect to ConsoleKit: Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit': no such name
gnome-session[10402]: WARNING: Could not connect to ConsoleKit: Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit': no such name
gnome-session[10402]: EggSMClient-WARNING: Desktop file '/etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-fallback-mount-helper.desktop' has malformed Icon key 'drive-optical.png'(should not include extension)
gnome-session[10402]: EggSMClient-WARNING: Desktop file '/etc/xdg/autostart/bluetooth-applet.desktop' has malformed Icon key 'bluetooth.svg'(should not include extension)
gnome-session[10402]: EggSMClient-WARNING: Desktop file '/etc/xdg/autostart/lxpolkit.desktop' has malformed Icon key 'mini-BuildingBlock.xpm'(should not include extension)

** (lxpolkit:10410): CRITICAL **: polkit_agent_listener_register_with_options: assertion `POLKIT_IS_SUBJECT (subject)' failed

(lxpolkit:10410): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: This program is not intended to be run as root (unless --system is specified).
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Daemon startup failed.
2. After installing cinnamon on a pristine precise-lxpup-11.12, restarting X and typing 'xwin gnome-session-cinnamon' at the command prompt started cinnamon alright. However, after rebooting, one is greeted with the ' Oh no! Something has gone wrong ' error message. Restarting X with 'xwin startlxde' brings back lxde session and typing 'gnome-session-cinnamon' at the terminal gives the following error message:
# gnome-session-cinnamon
gnome-session[13729]: libupower-glib-WARNING: Couldn't connect to system bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
gnome-session[13729]: WARNING: Could not connect to ConsoleKit: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
gnome-session[13729]: WARNING: Could not connect to ConsoleKit: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
gnome-session[13729]: EggSMClient-WARNING: Desktop file '/etc/xdg/autostart/bluetooth-applet.desktop' has malformed Icon key 'bluetooth.svg'(should not include extension)
gnome-session[13729]: EggSMClient-WARNING: Desktop file '/etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-fallback-mount-helper.desktop' has malformed Icon key 'drive-optical.png'(should not include extension)
gnome-session[13729]: EggSMClient-WARNING: Desktop file '/etc/xdg/autostart/lxpolkit.desktop' has malformed Icon key 'mini-BuildingBlock.xpm'(should not include extension)
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: This program is not intended to be run as root (unless --system is specified).

** (lxpolkit:13737): CRITICAL **: polkit_agent_listener_register_with_options: assertion `POLKIT_IS_SUBJECT (subject)' failed

(lxpolkit:13737): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Daemon startup failed.
Hope this helps.
Cheers.
Last edited by smil99 on Mon 29 Oct 2012, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]

Ray MK

#321 Post by Ray MK »

Hi Jerome
SNS is working fine - using it now.

I think the problem is introduced if when using first-start, one changes the unique puppypcNAME.
If the unique puppypcNAME is left as selected - then SNS works, if the user changes it to Acer1234 for example, if seems to fail.

BK or someone knowledgeable may be able to fix it - but I don't know how to.
Maybe the correct method, is to do it later - after first setup. Not sure.

JFYI - the pdf viewer is defective - there is a fix.
I'll find it and post it, if it is not in your patch.pet.

Thanks again for a luvly Puppy. Very best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

okwellthen

well this is fun ...NOT!

#322 Post by okwellthen »

FIRST OFF: I am enjoying this distro!!!!! and I am learning things before unknown... LOVE the LXDE, etc...

SECOND OFF: after downloading Cinnamon, I switched to it (more than one attempt) and only got black screen with mouse pointer...

Should I have restartedX first ???????

THIRD OFF: I uninstalled Cinnamon and I think it MIGHT have caused problem??? because when ctrl-alt-bkspce out to 'xwin mate-session' Mate will not load, nor 'xwin startlxde' will load.... it only says to type in some xorg... thing--which I did--but it only attempts to fix monitor resolution?????????

[[ maybe cinnamon uninstall uninstalled dependency causing current problems??? ]]

NOT COMPLAINING -- just want to know if theres anything COMMAND wise before reinstalling and loosing all my work thus far.....????

TIA for any assistance!

BTW I have NEVER had much success with WINE without PLAYONLINUX... and I've never seen a WINDOWS based simple Bible program fly so fast and almost completely perfect stability!!!!!

Thanks again Jerome and this community!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

PS : Is there any way to adjust backlight (applet or otherwise) in puppy??? TIA!

cowboy

lxpup first impressions

#323 Post by cowboy »

Jejy69,

Congrats on your efforts with the LXDE desktop. I was actually able to drag-and-drop something from a drive to the desktop, and it copied right over...astounding.

One of my great concerns with Puppy has been the reliance on other, often rather deprecated, windows managers. LXDE is in the mainstream of Linux development, and is under active, and continuing, development. I've often had the feeling that the Puppy developers have to prod our window manager devs awake now and then. If not for Puppy, JWM might have fallen by the wayside long ago, and icewm would not have hung on as long as it did. However, the "bus factor" for these efforts usually stands at 1, and I'm apprehensive about trusting data long term to such a tenuous situation.

Puppy might broadly benefit from a move to a well maintained and modern desktop; I've always been astounded at what our devs create given the thin limits of "Puppy-ness". LXDE-pup can only help Puppy's wider acceptance into the Linux stream, and should enable us to win many more converts based on positive initial impressions. Any one moving from a wider Linux audience to Puppy, and seeing that LXDE on first boot, would feel at home. There's simply a comfort level there for the broader Linux community. Nice work!
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

Jejy69

#324 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello !

@smil99, thanks you for your report. Very good.
I watched it, and thanks to it, found the bug.
But, for now, I don't know how to fix it.
During the boot, Puppy must create this file, called system_bus_socket.
If we found, a solution for it, we will get cinnamon and maybe Gnome Shell.
It seems that it's a dbus error...

@Ray MK,
Thanks you to solve these issues, I'll try to see SNS, in any case, Good job. :)

@okwellthen, sorry, but, it seems that uninstall Cinnamon break some thing, I don't know how to fix it actually.
I will create the same bug as you, to see what I can do. :)
Meanwhile, you can start a pristine Puppy live, and take your sensitive documents to save them.

To adjust brightness, go in Menu -> Setup -> Xorg video wizard -> Monitor Gamma Calibration. :wink:

@Cowboy, thanks you, I feel the same thing as you, JWM is slight, too slight for my use, I have retained the habits of windows, ubuntu, like copy and paste, change the wallpaper by right click on the desktop, support trash, the selection rectangle etc..
If it can help puppy to be better known, then this is great! :D

Volhout

Slacko version

#325 Post by Volhout »

Hi Jejy69,

What are your plans for the updated Slacko version. Will it be Slacko 5.4 or Slacko 5.3.3 as a basis ? When do you plan to release ?
I am asking this because 5.3.3 runs very good on my netbook, and I am not sure about 5.4

Regards,

Volhout

Jejy69

#326 Post by Jejy69 »

Hi Volhout,

Actually, I confess I do not know.
I think, I do not know if it's a good idea, I'll keep both versions.
Slacko 5.3.3, for older PCs, and Precise for the most recent.
However, packages like cinnamon will not be available in Slacko 5.3.3.
I will update Slacko version, but can't promise recent packages. :(
Precise/Slacko 5.4 offers a great opportunity with KMS, to grab recent games and applications.

What do you think ? :)

Jejy69

TEST~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#327 Post by Jejy69 »

------------------------------------------TESTERS-----------------------------------
I need testers please !
There is a new Cinnamon package and maybe I have fixed reboot issue.
I recommend to use a pristine session, so boot with puppy pfix=ram.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/checkma ... t/download

1/ Install
2/ Don't launch Cinnamon /!\
3/ Type in a console : "dbus-daemon --system"
4/ Reboot PC, create a save, and boot with this save.
5/ Cinnamon is automatically launched; If not "gnome-session-cinnamon"

Please let me now if it works.

smil99

#328 Post by smil99 »

@jejy69
I know this is not a solution but Cinnamon works after I renamed (to make them in-operational) the following files at /etc/xdg/autostart/
1. gnome-fallback-mount-helper.desktop
2. bluetooth-applet.desktop
3. lxpolkit.desktop

Cheers.
Last edited by smil99 on Tue 30 Oct 2012, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]

smil99

#329 Post by smil99 »

@jejy69
Just saw the new cinnamon after posting above. Downloading now. will give you feedback soon.

Cheers.
Last edited by smil99 on Tue 30 Oct 2012, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.

smil99

#330 Post by smil99 »

@jejy69
I followed your instructions about the new cinnamon installation and got the following results:
The reboot after installing cinnamon went through without a hitch. :)
However, my joy was short-lived when I was greeted again with the infamous 'Oh! know ...' error message and several reboots couldn't bring back cinnamon :( .
Rebooting to lxde with the command 'xwin startlxde' was ok though.
I then tried rebooting by typing 'dbus-daemon --system' at the console before using the 'xwin' command and presto! cinnamon came back to life again. :D

I can deduce from the above scenarios that perhaps 'dbus-daemon --system' needs to be triggered before cinnamon starts. Obviously, this is not persistent in subsequent reboots/bootings after the first reboot.
Hope this helps to narrow down the problem.

Cheers.
Last edited by smil99 on Tue 30 Oct 2012, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.

Jejy69

#331 Post by Jejy69 »

Thank you very much smil99, I'll redo a package with your changes, adding 'dbus-daemon - system' for each startup.
Thanks to you we'll can get a cinnamon stable and ready to use. :D

Thanks for your kind patience !

We will succeed!

Jejy69

---------------------------------TEST-----------------------

#332 Post by Jejy69 »

New Cinnamon package :
-Install package an simply launch "xwin gnome-session-cinnamon", don't need to restart.
I saved, rebooted, and Cinnamon works. I rebooted 6 times, I think it's enough :lol:

Maybe the final package ? :mrgreen:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/checkma ... t/download

Smil99 had a great idea by renaming .desktop files, so preventing them get started, and thus improving stability !
I added "dbus-daemon --system" in rc.local, to launch the process to each startup.

smil99

#333 Post by smil99 »

Hi jejy69
I installed cinnamon version 3 provided by you on a pristine install and I can happily confirm that cinnamon now survives after reboots. :D
Hooray!
Thanks for your efforts and cooperation.

Will post back if I encounter any show-stopper again. :)

Cheers.
Last edited by smil99 on Thu 01 Nov 2012, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.

oligin10

Problems with Abiword install

#334 Post by oligin10 »

Hi Jejy69, just wanted to let you know this. I uninstalled current Abiword, and then installed your new Abiword from your Sourceforge page. It installs and works, but it installs to Utility, not Document, Document/Publishing. Otherwise, everything so far looks good. Thanks, Rob
P.S. Frostwire installs the same way, into the Utility portion of Menu.

Jejy69

#335 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello !

@smil99, thanks you to confirm it works !
Now link is present on the website.
I wrote a new to announce that Cinnamon is now avalaible, and you helped me greatly. :)

@oligin10 Thanks you for your report, I will rebuild packages.
It's .desktop bug.
If you want, you can fix with editing abiword.desktop in /usr/share/applications. :)

I added 4 games :
-Nexuiz 2.5.2
-AssaultCube 1.1.0.4
-Lincity Ng 2.0
-Super Tux Kart 0.7.3

Thanks for your help !