Lxpup 14 final 7-20-2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
starhawk

#226 Post by starhawk »

songzi, you need the ath5k driver to make your wireless work. This module is included in jejy69's Slacko LXDE puplet.

Here's how to make it work for you...

From the applications Menu, select Setup --> Internet Connection Wizard. Under the "Connect to Internet by" section (lower left portion), click the icon next to "Wired or wireless LAN". Select the bottom most icon for the Network Wizard.

Towards the bottom of the resulting box you should see a button, "Load module". Click it. Then scroll through the long, long list and click once on the "ath5k" driver entry to highlight it. Click the "Load" button at the top right. It should pop up a couple of click-through boxes and eventually --having clicked OK on both-- you SHOULD get back to the main network wizard screen and see both wired and wireless interfaces. If you want to continue with the Network Wizard, then select the button below the list corresponding to your new wireless connection (it could be eth1 or wlan0 or a couple other names) and the rest is pretty simple.

Or you could use Simple Network Setup, which is exactly that. To get there, click "Exit" and "try a different tool", and then the "wired or wireless LAN" button again. The topmost option, "Simple Network Setup (SNS)" is what you want there.

You could also use Frisbee, but it has a bad habit of not removing itself cleanly, so think twice about this -- if you run it, you won't be able to run anything else without booting pfix=ram and starting over (or reboot w/o save if you're running from CD).

Good luck!

...and let us know whether or not this works for you. IIRC there's a variant of the ath5k that may or may not be needed here. You'd have to PM tempestuous for help if that's the case; he's our resident driver guru and he is awesome with that stuff.

songzi

#227 Post by songzi »

Many thanks, Volhout and starhawk.

I followed starhawk's advice trying to load module, but the module list was blank. I guessed my problem was due to corruption of system files on the SD card. I therefore downloaded the ISO again and did a re-installation. This has resolved the no interface issue.

However, SNS failed in setting up the wifi connection. It reported some DCHP errors. I turned to Frisbee and it worked well for me this time.

Thanks again and have a nice weekend.
Puppy Linux | Arch | antiX

mikeslr

Initial Report of LxPup-Precise

#228 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Jejy69,

I read your someone cryptic post, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 778#656778 and, wondering if it had anything to do with Lxpup, decided to explore that puppy.

My specs:
Processor: 4x AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor
Memory: 3375MB
ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics supporting 1600x900 pixels
RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: VT1708B Analog
SB {HDA ATI SB], device 1: VT1708B Digital

I downloaded and frugally installed the Precise version. Booted fine to supported video resolution using Ati Radeon driver. Ran into a problem similar to songzi: SNS reported connection, but didn't. Network wizard would not connect at all. Installed Frisbee and that worked. For those interested both opera and firefox could be run from folders on mnt/home. Sound also worked OOTB.

I'll test some more tomorrow. Particularly interested in trying out alternate desktops. Like what I've seen so far and really appreciate a dev with new voice and different vision on the forum. Keep up the good work.

But if it's not to much trouble, I'd recommend that you set up a separate thread for Lxpup Precise. I think problems, if any, one version has may not show up in the other, and vice-versa. Having only one thread for two operating systems (versions) is likely to generate confusion and delay solutions. If you do setup another thread, this one could continue just for Lxpup slackware as most of its posts seem to have regarded that version.

mikesLr

Volhout

Lxpup

#229 Post by Volhout »

Jejy69,

I have not been able to find out what your goal is.
At first I was looking at Lxpup as a LXDE shell onto Slacko. And that was more or less usable. Actually it looked promising enough to drop Lubuntu. My impression was that you would "perfect" this build.

Then "Precise" was added, a build that is not even into "release" state.

And now I am looking at LXDE, XFCE, MATE on both Precise and Slacko.

You are loosing me now...... What is the final goal ?

I am beginning to fear that you are creating yourself a lot of work for a single developper by the diversity ... or ... you will disappoint everybody testing Lxpup by being unable to fix all the problems they report. It is a huge task, even for a single (LXDE) desktop on a single (Slacko) OS.

I would say "focus dude" (From the movie "Nemo").

Volhout

Jejy69

#230 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello,

mikeslr,

I first answer about the cryptic message. I try to run Cinnamon under Slacko 5.3.6, but for the moment a package is impossible, there are many sensitive libs. Thanks you to try lxpup. The Precise version is not great since it is based on beta 3 ( or 4, I don't remember ).
Actually, I haven't create desktop alternative for the Precise version, because I prefer to wait the definitive version, to start a credible work. I made this version meanwhile since some people like Eyes-Only could not run Slacko. I will do as you have advised me, I'll make a separate topic when the next version comes out.
For SNS, I need more information about this concern, typing SNS in the console. :?
I'll test some more tomorrow. Particularly interested in trying out alternate desktops. Like what I've seen so far and really appreciate a dev with new voice and different vision on the forum. Keep up the good work.
Thanks you !!
Although many do not like, do not hesitate to give ideas.

Volhout,
I have not been able to find out what your goal is.
I want to give a distribution with Lxde desktop.
Lxde was always my first goal. For WM, I assume you speak about "Valient ship", "GeNOME". These ISO, these are experiences, as you can see, I focused only on Lxpup now, and I offer some WM as bonus. Precise is for users who can't use Slacko that's all. Do not blame me for wanting to satisfy everyone. :? Personally, I prefer Slacko.
Actually it looked promising enough to drop Lubuntu. My impression was that you would "perfect" this build.
I try, that's why I accept ideas.
you will disappoint everybody testing Lxpup by being unable to fix all the problems they report.
In my defense, 90% of the problems that have been posted have been corrected. For SNS, the problem is that I have no problem with it ... Yet I tried 7 different pc. How do I set a non-existent concerns? Give me infos.
I would say "focus dude" (From the movie "Nemo").
Thanks, for Pixar anecdote ! :D Honnestly, You're right, I do too much, and I disperse.

I try to improve...

Cheers,
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite Linux distrbution on the Citadel.

cthisbear

#231 Post by cthisbear »

Jejy69:

Don't stop the goodies coming mate.

Often it gives ideas to others for other Puppy releases.

Cheers...Chris.

starhawk

#232 Post by starhawk »

Your images have all disappeared from the first post. A shame!

Jejy69

#233 Post by Jejy69 »

D'Oh !

Where are my screens :evil: ??
They all disappeared from sourceforge ...
Well, I'll recover.
Thanks StarHawk I didn't see that.
Often it gives ideas to others for other Puppy releases.
Hello Chrisbear, thanks you,
If it gives more ideas, it's great.

smil99

Go for it Boy!

#234 Post by smil99 »

I would say let your fantasies materialize if you have the inclination to do so. You are pleasing the silent majority here. Awaiting to try Cinnamon ... soon even if its not fully functional. :)

Cheers.

greengeek

#235 Post by greengeek »

Jejy69 wrote:In my defense, 90% of the problems that have been posted have been corrected. For SNS, the problem is that I have no problem with it ... Yet I tried 7 different pc. How do I set a non-existent concerns?
I have not tried LXPup yet, but I thought I would comment on this SNS thing. I have tried many, many pups and many machines and cannot remember ever having been able to connect successfully with SNS. It just doesn't work for me.
I also seem to have dhcpcd problems with some pups that other people find 100% successful. I think the problems are sometimes caused by the particular brand/model of the router/ADSL modem. That is the only answer I can come up with - because it is the only common item in my SNS troubles.

If I use the standard (dougal) connect wizard my router will connect reliably (as long as the dhcpcd code is good - but not all puppies have the good version of that code)

mufeed2012

Wine & PCManFM

#236 Post by mufeed2012 »

Hi Jejy69,

I've tried LXPup and I'm still using it. But the problem is that Wine doesn't seem to work with PCManFM. Everything in this distro suites me except this problem.

Could you solve this problem for me?

Thanks
Mufeed Ali, LXPup User

Jejy69

#237 Post by Jejy69 »

I look it right away.
Thanks for your report and trying it. :)

Jejy69

#238 Post by Jejy69 »

Okay, Wine works but is not set as the default action in Pcmanfm.

To install/use a windows program, simply click on it, go to 'Custom command line' type 'wine', and 'ok'.
The file will be launched with wine. :)
Attachments
capture7427.png
(23.31 KiB) Downloaded 820 times

Jejy69

New Precise Version released !

#239 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello,

Lxpup 11.12 Precise edition released.
Dedicated to Eyes-Only :wink:

Jejy69

#240 Post by Jejy69 »

Hum, sorry for so many posts, I have forget to notice WmChooser is available for Lxpup precise 11.12.
The package is attached in the first post.
You will be able to install KDE 4.5.8/4.9.1 and Mate 1.2/1.4.

I think I have nothing to forget... 8)

mufeed2012

LXPup Precise

#241 Post by mufeed2012 »

Thanks for the answer.

And Is there Quickpet in this version of LXPup?
If Quickpet is there then I'll try this version too.

Jejy69

#242 Post by Jejy69 »

Glad I could help you ! :)
Thank you for trying Lxpup, Do not hesitate to try other puppies, because we are lucky to have a good productive community, and there are plenty of brilliant puplet.

To answer about Quixkpet. There are two versions of Lxpup.
Precise and Slacko. Today, I released Precise version which hasn't QuickPet.
QuickPet is present in Slacko and Lupu but not in Precise. :?

If you want Quickpet, keep the Slacko version. :wink:

Cheers !

mufeed2012

#243 Post by mufeed2012 »

Jejy69 wrote:Glad I could help you ! :)
Thank you for trying Lxpup, Do not hesitate to try other puppies, because we are lucky to have a good productive community, and there are plenty of brilliant puplet.

To answer about Quixkpet. There are two versions of Lxpup.
Precise and Slacko. Today, I released Precise version which hasn't QuickPet.
QuickPet is present in Slacko and Lupu but not in Precise. :?

If you want Quickpet, keep the Slacko version. :wink:

Cheers !
Thanks

I'll keep using LXPup Slacko.

yerc1

#244 Post by yerc1 »

hi Jejy69,

thanks for your excellent puppy!
it sets the bar higher for mainstream puppy in the looks department :D

i'm posting from netbook running your brand new LXPup Precise off a multiboot pendrive that also has Carolina and Lucid Puppy.

Question 1
Panel
distances between the panel items from default puppy (network, battery, volume, partition view) are too wide on my netbook.
is there a way to adjust the distances?
is it also possible to change those default puppy icons to match the better-looking gtk icons?

Question 2
Package Manager
ubuntu-precise-main is checked by default not puppy-precise.
is that right?

Question 3
Desktop right-click
i experimented with showing the menus on desktop right-click, but found that it's not fully supported in LXPup.
i now want to set the behaviour of desktop right-click to LXPup default but could not find a way to do so.
are you able to advise how?
EDIT:
my bad. i should have searched harder.
found it in Menu, Desktop Settings, Desktop Preferences Advanced tab

Question 4
PupShutdown manager
it's way too crowded, but that's just me.
have you considered alternate shutdown script?
Carolina's comes to mind.

Comment
Welcome Wizard look
the 'close' button (top right)and 'help' button for 'Saving a session' are not the same size as the buttons for 'Internet connection' and 'Setup you pup'.
i remember that in Lucid, all four buttons are one size only, but i could be wrong.

all the best for you and LXPup!
Attachments
LXPup Precise Welcome Wizard.png
(132.77 KiB) Downloaded 622 times
Last edited by yerc1 on Thu 25 Oct 2012, 01:17, edited 2 times in total.

smil99

Cinnamon Precise Puppy

#245 Post by smil99 »

Hi Jejy69,

Thanks for LXpup Precise.
Much appreciated. :D
If you have the time and interest, have a go at Cinnamon Precise Puppy. That will be the icing on the cake ... :)

Cheers.