Lxpup 14 final 7-20-2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Jejy69

#151 Post by Jejy69 »

@ `f00 :
I'll try Xdelta, I didn't know this software.
Menu - I think I'm going to break an xml or two and generally go for a 'traditional' pupmenu with things in the usual places (and sure I can fix that jwm menu not having icons in the top level.. did it before with xfce4, but my way is a kludge that could surely be done better with a script).
A traditional menu ? Like JWM ? :)
:idea: For icons, you must edit puppy-x.directories in /usr/share/desktop-directories.
I had nothing added to maintain a slight ISO. But if you agree with more software, it's Ok :)
on the subject of dev repo, wot no Jejy69?
Ho yeah ! :lol:
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite Linux distrbution on the Citadel.

bark_bark_bark

#152 Post by bark_bark_bark »

@poll: MediaFire 4 the win

Subito Piano

no cups

#153 Post by Subito Piano »

hmm -- can't install printer, going to localhost:631 i get a 404 error. I believe this is the final version, files on the CD are dates July 25...???

oligin10

Checkmate Finale v7

#154 Post by oligin10 »

Hi, sorry but you have an older version. Go to first page, and download latest version, Checkmate Finale v7 from July 27th. Good luck! I have had the best luck with this version, Canon MP620 works great! Thanks, Rob

musher0

#155 Post by musher0 »

vicmz wrote:I have just installed Opera and the fonts are invisible, as shown in the picture below. It was a .deb package, I'm going to try a Slackware version.
Hello, vicmz.

That will happen with GTK and ROX as well. Some opera skins "impose" their colours on the desktop environment scheme and the result is that the menu entries (anything character, really), appears invisible.

The solution is to change the opera skin. "O'Simple" and its derivatives are a good choice to start with. They're not necessarily pretty, but I found that they never obscured the fonts.

Conversely, rather than changing the opera skin, I sometimes changed the GTK theme with good result, but I don't know the Checkmate environment, so I'm at a loss to give you any advice.

Best regards.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

`f00

#156 Post by `f00 »

@vicmz
Gtk can be awful in some instances with various browser skins (particularly the url bar and tabs) and apps, it all depends .. qt/webkit and fltk (dillo, for instance) is usually better at keeping contrasts/values in legibility range. Sometimes it's a matter of native/system with the skins in opera - personally I don't care much for the monochrome icons that became the default style with the 9.5 series.

Early on was not so bad, taking out 'extra' icon choices for toplevel menu cats solved the jwm issue there. My custom xfe-duo went in fine and was getting a handle on how lxde changed some things.

Didn't get 1024x768 'til after some fun with xorg :roll: on the 3rd session. xfe died about that time (segmentation faults in all, maybe fltk), and drag'n'drop failed in rox as well - so was forced to use pcmanfm for cut/copy&paste (awkward and slow, but it works).

Also lost the ability to enter text in dialogues :( that really puts a damper on operating .. geany is about the only text editor that works (maybe the console editors as well), but only in the main textbody field. Any try at direct typed input in a dialogue gives a cpu spike and the parent crashes after a bit (copy/paste is the only workaround and it's seriously slow for me).

Other wms added - wmx7 ( :D hi Christian!), blackbox, fluxbox, icewm, miwm and some ultralites work - afterstep, e-16 and twm don't yet). miwm continues to impress me with its simple fast ui.

Slowly getting used to pcmanfm but it tends to go unstable and crashes after awhile - lots of mssgs in xerrs.log such as "(pcmanfm:9763): pup-volume-monitor-WARNING **: Couldn't connect to server at /tmp/pup_volume_monitor_socket: No such file or directory" is an almost constant thing. Disabled the automount stuff since I definitely prefer to do that manually.

Lots of useful apps (like mtpaint) are segfaulting on attempted load (for me anyway). Seems to be related to (stand by for long-ish mssg)..
libdbus-1.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgioremote-volume-monitor.so

Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgvfsdbus.so

..no libdbus-1 in /usr/lib or /usr/X11R7/lib so maybe if I can find that package for racy53.. I guess that volume-monitor stuff is to do with automounting (so my pref is to disable it).

Then there's another thing..
surfer: /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libgtkhtml-2.so.0)
..not only in surfer, it seems that lib package may need to be fixed perhaps (have run into the 'version information' deal before in various pups, it's a pitb).

Finally, racy53 was quite slow to re-X (about a full minute or so) but it's gotten much better after the latest few reboots. Possibly it can be made to work properly (or close enough). Ah, I can input to xclipboard without it crashing (that'll free geany up a bit :lol: ). Here's another funny (since I run a roxpin only as an on-demand item, and that rarely)..
** (ROX-Filer:2441): CRITICAL **: pinboard_pin_with_args: assertion `current_pinboard != NULL' failed
..yeah, it's "CRITICAL" alright (but I've been wrong before, so ;;.. ;.;. ;..; .;.; ..;; ;)

anyway, here's an archive for a menu 'fix' for lxpanel to get a more-or-less traditional pupmenu with a base for wm/de-specific items

No screenie since (yep) mtpaint segfaults :/
Attachments
lxpanel-menu-fix.tar.gz
menu 'fix' for lxpanel to get a more-or-less traditional pupmenu
(4.33 KiB) Downloaded 276 times

william7

#157 Post by william7 »

Hi!

I install puppy with lxde but pcmanfm runs with --desktop mode.
I have my own openbox config files with menu and I need disable pcmanfm desktop mode...

I check config file but I can't find where pcmanfm starts...

.xinitrc has execute /usr/bin/startlxde but startlxde not have pcmanfm inside...

`f00

#158 Post by `f00 »

Hi back@ya william7 :)

pcmanfm spoofs rox so it can do the desktop/pinboard like rox does (and also take on other roxly duties like loading fs in a filer window from pmount); see /usr/local/bin/rox(?) for an example of how, I think it's also nested in ~/Choices/ROX-Filer dir or that seems to be in its .config layout anyhow. You can edit some files but it's all fairly tightly integrated for an out-of-the-box experience. For instance, I found that my personal openbox rc.xml was being reverted on reboot so I did a script in /etc/init.d to rm/cp a backup (much better now, thanks) and also rm a 2nd (lx)panel which I didn't call for. Other things like the volume-monitor stuff can be unticked in bootmanager (for the startup anyway).

Personally, I change ~/.xinitrc a bit by commenting out the PuppyPin lines and moving most of the wm/de stuff to a script in ~/Startup (that works well for me since I do my roxpins on-demand and also use a variety of wms, each with their own needs). Also I use plogout rather than psd (although psd offers a more comprehensive ui!) since it's faster for me.

I'd imagine pcmanfm starts with lxde as part of the desktop experience as it were (especially true if it's handling the pinboard and so on rather than being a mere file manager, sigh...)

william7

#159 Post by william7 »

Well i check pcmanfm and run "pcmanfm --desktop-off" in xterm and openbox works fine.

.xinitrc is little complicated.

Cheers

Jejy69

#160 Post by Jejy69 »

Hi !

You can have problems with JWM, since I redirect "rox" launcher to PCmanfm.
During a LXDE session, you can disable the pcmanfm desktop in /etc/xdg/lxsession/autostart.

@ `f00, thanks for this report, Wary/Racy are not good bases for recent applications like pcmanfm 9.10 and latest LXde.
So many sensible libraries must be updated, and I somtimes break the system. :(
I'll try to resolve issues, but if I can't I'll remove the wary/racy versions to create a CheckMate Precise based version.

Cheers !

`f00

#161 Post by `f00 »

It could be just me and my ways - I take a priority on making things as universal/compatible as possible as regards wms and such (but I still have my own quirky preferences to crazy up the mix), doubtless things will break somewhere along the way. Personal hwr plays a part as well (I seem to recall some oddnesses about xorg76 on my old setup, so wary may be fine) - most everyone with fairly recent hwr seems real pleased and issues if any are minor.

Quite true about stock/official releases, sometimes the dev(s) tend to integrate tightly and the release reflects that. It's rare to please everyone or even most, let alone have it all work well with the more recent tools.

CheckMate Precise sounds awesome 8)

Jejy69

#162 Post by Jejy69 »

Thanks for your anwser `f00 :)

I done CheckMate Precise, with a working JWM :D, your menu file is really useful, thanks you !

Refer to the front page for more details about Precise CheckMate. :)

Cheers !

Ray MK

#163 Post by Ray MK »

Hi Jejy69

Just booted Precise CheckMate on my 10yr old Acer 243LC laptop and it looks and feels very good - no nastie's found yet.

Runs a little warmer than usual - but not overly so (60-65 C)
Most pup's on this machine run lower at approx (45-55, max 62ish C).

Superbly presented and so easy for a noob to setup from scratch.

Thanks again for another excellent Puppy.

Very best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

Ray MK

#164 Post by Ray MK »

Hi again

Left idle for 15 - 30 mins the temp drops to 45 C.

Browsing takes it up to 55 - 65 C and a 100mb download took it to 75 C.

Also, just starting Task Manager seems to excite it a bit, takes CPU usage reading up to 65 - 85%.

Strangly, when checked in Htop - CPU usage shows 3 - 11%.

Mem usage in both remain constant at around 45 - 65mb.

However, still a luvly Puppy and am enjoying using it.

Thanks and best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

oldyeller

#165 Post by oldyeller »

Ray MK wrote:Hi again

Left idle for 15 - 30 mins the temp drops to 45 C.

Browsing takes it up to 55 - 65 C and a 100mb download took it to 75 C.

Also, just starting Task Manager seems to excite it a bit, takes CPU usage reading up to 65 - 85%.

Strangly, when checked in Htop - CPU usage shows 3 - 11%.

Mem usage in both remain constant at around 45 - 65mb.

However, still a luvly Puppy and am enjoying using it.

Thanks and best regards - Ray
I an guessing at this but could the pae kernel be the problem?

Ray MK

#166 Post by Ray MK »

Hi oldyeller

You could be right - I'll try a few pae puppy's and then a few non-pae puppy's and see if there are any obvious diiierences.

I think that BK carefully selects his kernels for similar reasons.

A solution might be to offer users a PAE and a non-PAE kernel option.
More work but more happy users.

Thanks for your thoughts and for all that you do for Puppy.

Very best regards - Ray

`f00

#167 Post by `f00 »

@Jejy69
My issues (on page 11) are mostly if not all self-inflicted. Been checking in a 'stock' racy53 and much of the same 'til I figured out MY BAD cap @153k

Leave the finished isos up if you like, I'm sure many will appreciate all your efforts!

@Ray&oldyeller
For sure BK is doing his selections with an almost instinctual feel for what works. I'm not all that wild about xorg76 (my ATI vidcards are really borderline for accepting radeon rather than xvesa driver), but the racy kernel is fine on my old gear.

C'est la Vie . . .

Subito Piano

#168 Post by Subito Piano »

Well - after all this time (weeks feel like years in this forum) - v7 up and running, a really great job! I added SpaceFM for dual-pane, works nicely (maybe it should be in by default, idk how much call there is for dual-pane FMs).

Precise is not slacko? What is it based on?

`f00

#169 Post by `f00 »

definitely more-or-less (in 'dog' years, anyhow)

I for one am very much sold on dual-pane fmsº (solid advocate of xfe, even made a custom duo that uses two versions for different looks and setups since I'm a lazy sloth when it comes down to using a 'final' product). Yep, other good reports on spacefm here'n'there - have to get a round tuitt, too many square ones recently :lol:

I believe Precise is a 'buntu-type deal going with that family (repos, philosophy and so on)

º about the only one I didn't personally care for was vifm (but if you're used to vi, it's probably better than sliced bread for getting things like sandwiches done when you're hungry now)

Subito Piano

#170 Post by Subito Piano »

heh, heh - about ten minutes after i shut the laptop down for the night it hit me - "DUH!! "Lucid pup based on Ubuntu Lucid, Precise pup must be based on..."

I didn't want to bother editing my post, i wanted to get in bed! :-P

It's great the Precise will be LTS for FIVE years...on the other hand, there's something comforting about good ol' Slackware. :-D