For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
petihar

#16 Post by petihar »

Allo Jejy
How are you ? May be you can test this : http://fr.lichess.org/ :wink:
Ton grand admirateur : petihar :lol:

Gnuxo

#17 Post by Gnuxo »

No, when I open a terminal, *any terminal* I get a message like "error with bash syntax* or something.
I am not in Checkmate right now, and it started disconnecting for some reason so I went into a different puppy and the disconnecting stopped.

I really hope NMApplet isn't included in checkmate, I've had a bad history with it.

I don't know about many good chess games for puppy.
I know that GnuChess is available from the slacko repos and it's a fairly simple and lightweight program. I installed it in CheckMate without any extra dependencies.

There might be better Chess programs for linux but GnuChess seems like it would be a good default because of it's size.

Edit: Oh and before I forget, please remove meebo from the menu. It was bought by Google and is shutting down.

Jejy69

#18 Post by Jejy69 »

Bonjour petihar !
Ici, ça roule nickel, je tâte un peu tout, et ça a l'air de fonctionner ! :D
Je pourrais finir la distrib avec LXDE du coup, il ne reste plus qu'à ajouter la langue FR pour les scripts Puppy, et ce sera bon ! Echec et Mat !
Merci pour le lien, je vais le rajouter, j'ai fait quelques parties, je me suis fait battre à plate coutûre par l'ordi, je crois que je suis très mauvais aux échecs :lol: .

à bientôt !

@ Gnuxo :
No, the network manager for LXDE is not here.
No, when I open a terminal, *any terminal* I get a message like "error with bash syntax* or something.
I am not in Checkmate right now, and it started disconnecting for some reason so I went into a different puppy and the disconnecting stopped.
The distrib doesn't work ? You can't use it ?
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite Linux distrbution on the Citadel.

pemasu

#19 Post by pemasu »

I briefly checked how this distro looked like. Pup-volume-monitor really works with pcmanfm. I got idea for myself from that. Thanks.
Couple of observations when I hacked pcmanfm and pup-volume-monitor to work in an other puplet.

It might be good idea to disable pcmanfm trash. Otherwise the stuff will be stored somewhat obscure place.

CheckMate-v2.iso+puppy_slacko_5.3.3.sfs/root/.local/share/Trash/files ----> 28 Mb of stuff not needed in remastered version. :D

Another way to reduce the size is....pcmanfm can use /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX/MIME location for .svg storage...if you just copy the needed .svg there....and create gtkrc.mine file pointing to the ROX.

The benefit....you wont need 20 Mb elementery icons....just 22x22 sized...needed icons only.
CheckMate-v2.iso+puppy_slacko_5.3.3.sfs/usr/share/icons/elementary folder can be removed or better....keep it in storage and stuff ROX/MIME with needed .svg ones.

The reduction...from total 20 Mb icon folder to about 400-500 k. Not bad.

So.....you can shave about 47 Mb out just by finetuning !

I attach my pcmanfm pet here so that you can check how I did it.
I did also modifyi the conf files so that they basically worked for me. I didnt much checked yours...so probably you had the basics done also.

The important url`s in the pet are:
/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX/MIME
/root/.gtkrc.mine
conf files in /root/.config/libfm and pcmanfm folders
and the same conf files in their default places....I just have them preinstalled in /root also.
There is other stuff in pet which is useful in dpup exprimo...forget them and the binary and libs...they are for debian squeeze...not useful.

PS. wireless connection worked without problem all the time I tested the distro....about one hour.
I used pns-tool-wrapper ie pns_tool, the terminal manager.

pemasu

#20 Post by pemasu »

Darn. LXDE probably needs those .svg files also. I didnt thought of that when I had been focused to the pcmanfm only. If it so...then you need larger .svg base to satisfy LXDE desktop. I didnt thought of that because LXDE is not familiar for me. I use JWM and e17 mostly. And before that icewm and openbox with fbpanel so...I am sorry of the confusion if LXDE needs .svg icons.

Gnuxo

#21 Post by Gnuxo »

The distrib doesn't work ? You can't use it ?
No the distribution works. I just can't use the terminals because they give that bash error.

Maybe it's fixed in V2.

I also noticed that it's a bit sluggish compared to LXDE distros I've used before.
Maybe it's the new kernel? I don't know. Hopefully in newer updates that will be fixed as well, and it will be snappier.

roadkill13

#22 Post by roadkill13 »

I also noticed that it's a bit sluggish compared to LXDE distros I've used before.

Hmm.. I find it to be at least as fast as other LXDE distros that I have used before. I wonder what is causing the lag on your system. Just curious.

@Jejy69

I noticed that CUPS is broken in V2. I did not try to setup CUPS in V1 so I do not know if the same problem occurs on that version.

I am able to open localhost:631 with a browser. CUPS displays as expected. Clicking on the links or the tabs such as "administration" brings up an "500 Internal Server Error". Not sure what to do about that.

playdayz

#23 Post by playdayz »

/root/.local/share/Trash/files is where the Delete command in the Menu of pcmanfm puts deleted files. Personally I would love to see a working Recycle Bin. The Trash item in the left hand side menu gives an Operation Not Supported message. What is needed is a way to look at the files in the trash can and Restore them if desired. This is just something I would like to see in general.

Gnuxo

#24 Post by Gnuxo »

Hmm.. I find it to be at least as fast as other LXDE distros that I have used before. I wonder what is causing the lag on your system. Just curious.
I found v2 to be more responsive then v1. That's a relief.

I still wonder if using jwm, openbox puppies for so long has made me really notice the speed difference.
I'm trying not to hold LXDE to that standard.

muggins

#25 Post by muggins »

Downloaded twice, (once via browser, second via wget), both give md5 of:

6b8c16cae13c16f521fba8eddc9b0501

James C

#26 Post by James C »

muggins wrote:Downloaded twice, (once via browser, second via wget), both give md5 of:

6b8c16cae13c16f521fba8eddc9b0501
Identical to the MD5 that I got as well......... seems to be working well though.

James C

#27 Post by James C »

Upon a little checking....... the MD5 in the first post is correct for Checkmate v1...... the first uploaded version.... not Version 2.

muggins

#28 Post by muggins »

Thanks for verifying James.

roadkill13

#29 Post by roadkill13 »

I found v2 to be more responsive then v1. That's a relief.

I still wonder if using jwm, openbox puppies for so long has made me really notice the speed difference.
I'm trying not to hold LXDE to that standard.
No doubt that Puppy is a speed burner. Especially with JWM window manager. :D

Gnuxo

#30 Post by Gnuxo »

Never asked this before but, does anyone know how to switch from the double clicking to a single click interface.

I know what I'm clicking on, why must I double click?

Edit: Ok, I'm tired of this! I just got onto checkmate and my wifi is disconnecting again! Why is it that all LXDE distros disconnect me so much?
I've not had as much disconnects on other puppies or Desktops.

Can someone please help me get this resolved, I can't get much done when I keep getting disconnected like this.

Jejy69

#31 Post by Jejy69 »

Helloooo !
Sorry I'm late! :mrgreen:

@ pemasu :Will reduce the ISO, thanks for the tips !
Yeah; SVG are needed here, but I'll remove large icons.

@ roadkill13 : ok, I will try to fix it.

@ playdayz : In V2, trash is working :wink: , the package needed is GVFS.

@ Gnuxo : I think we need to distinguish between "light" and "minimalist". LXDE can't be like JWM.

Thanks again James C for MD5, I forgot again... :(

Gnuxo

#32 Post by Gnuxo »

I just noticed that Checkmate hasn't fully been translated.

I created a quick copy of the defaultconnect script for easy access to the network managers on the desktop and the right click menu for editing text files is in french.

I was also wondering if *stay connected to the internet* could be added to the distro.

Has anyone had success getting frisbee to work? I'm really frustrated that the connection keeps dropping.

Gnuxo

#33 Post by Gnuxo »

Whenever I put my wep key into Frisbee, I get an error message saying *Set Hex Failed*

Jejy69

#34 Post by Jejy69 »

yeah, ok, this is not "fully" translated ...
Don't install frisbee or Pwireless, they do not work, and I have no idea what can cause this.
Are you alone? Or others have the same problem connecting?

rg66

#35 Post by rg66 »

I'm new to the forum so hi to everyone.

Nice job on this, I've tried a few different Puppies like Lupu, Mac, RacyNOP etc...and this is by far my favorite.

I've noticed a few issues like some of the right click context menus have 1 listing in french, pNethood and pFind use ROX instead of PCMan and the trashbin is full of stuff.

Other than that, this is a great little OS and I could see myself using this as my number one portable.