Lxpup 14 final 7-20-2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Jejy69

#121 Post by Jejy69 »

NEW : CheckMate, Wary edition ! :D
It's for tests.

For the trash, I don't know, maybe I had made ​​a mistake in the compilation of GVFS ...
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite Linux distrbution on the Citadel.

Eyes-Only

#122 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Jejy,

Hmm... I've clicked the linked for the Wary.iso and it gives me a page telling me that the file does not exist?

By the way: The Racy-based Checkmate worked wonderfully upon my old computer except for one problem which is a complete show-stopper: It refused to run my versions of Firefox/SeaMonkey/Thunderbird - all which are the very latest binary releases from the Mozilla Foundation. I run them from one partition of my hard drive - linked in to all my other Puppies - both the programmes ( from /opt ) and the profiles ( from /root ) together.

This system has never failed me from Puppy-2.14 to present. This was a show-stopper for me because my current system of doing this permits me to do my email, surf, etc., from any Puppy I wish to use instead of being forced to remain in one Puppy to do my email and such. I think you can see why I enjoy such a system? ;)

At any rate I thought that I would let you know, okie?

I'm likewise looking forward to trying your Mate Desktop should you move that to "Precise", perhaps? I find that a truly beautiful Puppy as well. You've done so much to advance our little distro by leaps and bounds - much like Tux, WhoDo, PlayDayz, Micko, and many more before you. Keep up the fabulous work!

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

playdayz

#123 Post by playdayz »

Chrome

I amnot sure where "shinobar's Puppy-chrome" is or what exactly it does, but the only thing necessary to trun chrome is to set the userdir in the startup command. This is the code from the /usr/bin/google-chrome from Google_Chrome-19-slacko.pet. I will provide 20 in a bit.

Code: Select all

exec /opt/google/chrome/google-chrome --user-data-dir=/root/.config/google-chrome --disk-cache-size=10000000 --media-cache-size=10000000 --disable-metrics "$@"
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 31 Jul 2012, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.

JackWagon

sfs and /root/.trash

#124 Post by JackWagon »

Jejy69 wrote: For the trash, I don't know, maybe I had made ​​a mistake in the compilation of GVFS ...
I had the same problem with the trash consuming my hard disk so I downloaded emelfm file manager. Navigate to /root/.trash and deleted from there.

BTW I had some problems with SFS and the SFS converter. It wouldn't let me load or drag and drop anything.

JW
Last edited by JackWagon on Tue 31 Jul 2012, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

Jejy69

#125 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello !

It's done, SourceForge is back, it was bugged... I did can not upload files...
Wary is here now. :?

Eyes-Only : I understand, and I am sorry that this does not work properly ...
I'm likewise looking forward to trying your Mate Desktop should you move that to "Precise", perhaps? I find that a truly beautiful Puppy as well. You've done so much to advance our little distro by leaps and bounds - much like Tux, WhoDo, PlayDayz, Micko, and many more before you. Keep up the fabulous work!
Precise ? Yeah ok !
Thank you for the comparison, I'm flattered! :wink:
Next destination, Precise ! Does it work correctly on your PC?

Thank for tip playdayz, it will help me!

JackWagon : On my laptop, drag & drop never worked... You can right clic on Sfs, & "open with" --> "sfs_load".

Cheers !

JackWagon

#126 Post by JackWagon »

Jejy69 wrote:... You can right clic on Sfs, & "open with" --> "sfs_load".
oh, I think the problem came when I tried to navigate to another directory/drive and everything was gray’d out. It could be my old hardware.

JW

`f00

#127 Post by `f00 »

@Jejy69
slow downloads - consider ftp:// as top level (if your souceforge account allows that), usually lots quicker than an http:// since the transfer protocol is different (nice for dialup users like me and it may help regular dl speeds as well). At my current isp's max transfer rate of ~2.4kbps, a sizeable iso like http://iweb.dl.sourceforge.net/project/ ... e-Racy.iso is an all-day dl :| ..

@Eyes-Only
noticed a small typo there (no k in ChecMate-Wary.iso) in the url, maybe? Jejy69's been working fabulous hard ;)

Agree wholeheartedly in not imposing browser (like Mycroftsoft, Sherlock :lol:)! Webkit browsers are fine by me for the basic use (arora has long been a favorite). Or file manager for that matter (it'll be interesting to try xfe here with its 'good old fltk')

sigh the dl will eventually finish ^·^..

Don't work too hard, Jejy69 :)

James C

#128 Post by James C »

Quick live test...... CheckMate Wary on my main Athlon XP box. Booted to an 800x600 desktop using Xvesa....... used Xorgwizard to get desired 1440x900 resolution. Strange behavior since I have Wary installed on this box and never experienced that before, usually boots straight to the correct resolution.Anyway........
seems to be working so will test further...... :)

For what it's worth, Sourceforge seems to be back to it's normal speeds here today.

Subito Piano

problems...

#129 Post by Subito Piano »

Hi!

CheckMate is WAY cool -- and i ALMOST used it for my main distro...love Puppy and sold on LXDE...

...but i kept hitting snags -- VERY unusual for puppies. PCMANFM was quirky (sorry, i have done so much on this laptop the last week and a half it's all a blur) -- it automatically saved to a 7 MB pupsave file, somehow i got locked into a quirky JWM and didn't know how to get into LXDE again (both "xwin LXDE" and "xwin lxdm" didn't do it).

I downloaded about 5 days ago. MD5 sum checked. Is this the latest stable version? I very much would like to see this working, er, working for me. Right now i can only play with it til it proves itself. IDK maybe i'm the only one having problems -- ??!?!

Subito Piano

problems...

#130 Post by Subito Piano »

Hi!

CheckMate is WAY cool -- and i ALMOST used it for my main distro...love Puppy and sold on LXDE...

...but i kept hitting snags -- VERY unusual for puppies. PCMANFM was quirky (sorry, i have done so much on this laptop the last week and a half it's all a blur) -- it automatically saved to a 7 MB pupsave file, somehow i got locked into a quirky JWM and didn't know how to get into LXDE again (both "xwin LXDE" and "xwin lxdm" didn't do it).

I downloaded about 5 days ago (slacko version). MD5 sum checked. Is this the latest stable version? I very much would like to see this working, er, working for me. Right now i can only play with it til it proves itself. IDK maybe i'm the only one having problems -- ??!?!

Jejy69

#131 Post by Jejy69 »

@ `f00 : Not very fast :? Thank you all for being so patient ... I am ready to change host, do you have any advice?
I really want to try Google Code, but I'm afraid that what I do is not accepted ...

Yes, I forget a letter, "CheckMate" :oops:
Don't work too hard
Promised, Doctor! :D
4 more days and I go on holiday. :roll: :wink:

@ James C : this is my fault, if it boots with Xvesa. On my recent PC, Xorg does not work and I had used in xvsesa. But it is surprising that it is kept in memory ...
Do you see ozone2 theme ? It is pink... :?: :!:

@ Subito Piano : Type "xwin startlxde" to start with LXDE session :roll:

vicmz

#132 Post by vicmz »

I have just installed Opera and the fonts are invisible, as shown in the picture below. It was a .deb package, I'm going to try a Slackware version.
Attachments
invisible-letters-opera-checkmate.png
(173.84 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

`f00

#133 Post by `f00 »

@Jejy69 -attaboy!

@Subito Piano
Learning Experiences (problems are issues)

Know that blur feeling well (mostly from reading fvwm mans, but to return to here-now..) - may be your install type, sometimes a pup will pick up an alien savefile (like that tiny 7mb deal you have) on reboot and do odd things (not so much an issue with liveCD multisession); like if you started on quirky and that autosave happened (argh!) .. may be eventmanager (do you do the save interval thing for autosave at a timed interval? see threads about save/nosave for how not to 'autosave') and/or pcmanfm (it's been awhile since I last tried it, so no real advice there).

Other? This is not merely an lxde add-on, but a complete pupplet in the iso (several in slacko form and some new ones in racy and wary flavors)

Maybe try a liveCD multisession if you haven't done that in awhile (usually pretty foolproof and tidy)

Go for walkabout, maybe .. too much concentration and the trees get lost in the forest or somesuch

hth :?

Jejy69

#134 Post by Jejy69 »

Hmm... Lol ! 8) I did not know that was possible.
Can you tell me which package to use?
I think it comes from Pango. I've updated it.

`f00

#135 Post by `f00 »

yep

When puppy is searching for puppy files at reboot, it may be occasinally indiscriminate in what it wolfs down. This can result in odd stuff - depending on what pup was originally booted, install type and whether you changed the disc in the tray (liveCD multissession) or a savefile was made (like what may have happened to Subito Piano) or there's just one savefile (so pup makes the choice rather than you selecting from a list)

Save/Nosave is a good option for if you'd rather not have autosave in a frugal install (standard on liveCD multi, also available in package form as shinobar's pupsaveconfig)

For a host, many devs use http://www.smokey01.com/
hth..
Last edited by `f00 on Tue 31 Jul 2012, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.

Subito Piano

#136 Post by Subito Piano »

f00 -- that may explain things. I customized it before installing, it got a little big once or twice.

Ray MK

#137 Post by Ray MK »

Hi Jejy69

Testing Wary LXDE on my 10yr old Acer laptop and it is very nice.

All seems good and runs fast, normal browsing, downloading and file management looking very good.

Same for Racy LXDE - all your pup's are Luvly.

Now to try the latest XFCE - think that will good too.

Thanks for all your efforts - very much appreciated.

Very best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

playdayz

#138 Post by playdayz »

Google Chrome 21 for Slacko and Checkmate

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 918#643918

roadkill13

#139 Post by roadkill13 »

Thank you playdayz. Posting from Google Chrome 21 right now.

Jejy69

#140 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello ! :)

Ray MK : You do not have issues despite the ancient PC ?
I need to fix the first boot, to start with Xorg.
I think I'll try to create a SFS, I force people to download whole ISO, and it's not very cool. :?
It will be better for everyone, that way no need to install Puppy, no worries for personal data.
I will try to create SFS for several versions of Puppy.
Thank you all for trying this! :wink:

Wow, latest Chrome version ! Thanks Playdayz ! I love it ! :D