Linphone 3.5.2 - Video Phone with Instant Messaging

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
OscarTalks

#3 Post by OscarTalks »

Here is one I compiled in Precise Puppy. Also OK for Upup Precise.

This one has all available audio and video codecs including gsm, ilbc, amr, g729, Silk (Skype-based) and x264. The sign-in wizard thing is working and the audio seems better on this than on the other versions above.

At around 1.5 MB this .pet is not bad size-wise for a video enabled sip softphone with Instant Messaging.

By the way, Linphone will operate peer-to-peer but it likes you to have some sort of username in the sip address so can be "sip:yourname@ipaddress" or "sip:root@ipaddress".

Otherwise you can sign up with Linphone for your own free SIP address. Other providers are available eg. iptel.org

Some providers will allow you to make cheap calls to phone numbers anywhere in the world. One example is nonoh.net but there are others so shop around.

Updates:-

05th January 2013 - Uploaded new build, just a few changes and it is now a bit smaller than it was. Removed a couple of things that were not needed. NLS now included. Added libcares which may improve performance (?).

15th April 2013 - DOWNLOAD LINK NOW IN FIRST POST
Last edited by OscarTalks on Mon 15 Apr 2013, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar in England

linuxcbon

#4 Post by linuxcbon »

In precise 5.4.3, linphone-3.5.2-pp.pet
Click options preferences :

Code: Select all

(linphone:13467): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not load image 'linphone2.png': Failed to open file '/usr/share/linphone/linphone2.png': No such file or directory

(linphone:13467): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not find signal handler 'linphone_gtk_create_fonics_account'

OscarTalks

#5 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello linuxcbon

Thanks for testing and for the report.

You do get a few warnings and other grumbles in console with Linphone but the essential functions all seem to work (unless you have spotted something that doesn't).

I tried putting an image file into /usr/share/linphone and renaming it 'linphone2.png'. The warning goes away but the image doesn't appear in the gui or anywhere that I can see so it may not be needed.

The 'signal handler' warning probably relates to the wizard which doesn't appear at all in the other Puppy builds (you get a 'signal handler' warning on start) and is just a bit of a gimmick (certainly not essential).

Linphone is developed very much as a multi-platform app so there may be bits of code from other platforms or older versions that stray in there. Also it may be that other Linux distros more bloated than Puppy contain packages which cause a few extra features to build when compiling Linphone in those distros.

Linphone is an app that interests me and I have played around with it quite a bit, but I am still a relative novice with Linux and compiling so if anyone has any ideas about how it could be improved in Puppy I would welcome their input.
Oscar in England

OscarTalks

#6 Post by OscarTalks »

Standard Linphone 3.5.2 will not compile in Slacko 5.4 because the newer ffmpeg version causes fatal errors, but CatDude discovered a way of editing the source code so that it will now build. Trade off as things stand is that a couple of the video codecs which are based on ffmpeg are missing but you still have 3 to choose from.

On my machine the VP8 video codec causes crashes but I just disable it. It may work for others. The H264 seems perfectly acceptable ( try the video echo test at sip:9877@qxip.net ) and you have Theora in there as well.

Slacko 5.4 users may wish to test:-

Last edited by OscarTalks on Mon 15 Apr 2013, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar in England

OscarTalks

#7 Post by OscarTalks »

Some people are into ringtones I know. The ringtones for Linphone are located in /usr/share/sounds/linphone/rings so you can always place ringtones of your choice in there. The ones that get built when you compile Linphone are .wav files which are quite big and don't compress very much when creating a .pet so I remove all but one of them to keep the package small. This .pet will put three of them back in so you have a bit more of a choice. I quite like the Big Ben one.

Last edited by OscarTalks on Mon 15 Apr 2013, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar in England

laurentius77

links broken - please mirror

#8 Post by laurentius77 »

It seems that all the Linphone links are broken.
Tried to compile myself the application from source with no success until now.
Can somebody upload linphone packages in another place? I think that all the packages from the forum that exceeds 1MB are lost...
Does this sip client supports TLS+SRTP with certificates?
I need a linux softphone with these capabilities and I couldn't find one...
Thank you.

laurentius77

Thank you!

#9 Post by laurentius77 »

Many thanks!

OscarTalks

#10 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello laurentius77,

I've moved the download links to Datafilehost for now and put them in the first post.

You do have to jump a few hurdles and avoid a few pitfalls when compiling Linphone. As for TLS it does show in the options but not sure if all SIP providers support it. About SRTP / zRTP I am not sure, but I think these things need to be enabled at compile time and may not work anyway. I may try an experimental build at some point (any preference of Puppy version?) but I wanted to get the package as small as possible with nothing that might disrupt the basic functionality.

General announcement:-
I have included a build for Wheezy in the first post.
Oscar in England

laurentius77

hello Oscar

#11 Post by laurentius77 »

OscarTalks wrote:Hello laurentius77,

I've moved the download links to Datafilehost for now and put them in the first post.

You do have to jump a few hurdles and avoid a few pitfalls when compiling Linphone. As for TLS it does show in the options but not sure if all SIP providers support it. About SRTP / zRTP I am not sure, but I think these things need to be enabled at compile time and may not work anyway. I may try an experimental build at some point (any preference of Puppy version?) but I wanted to get the package as small as possible with nothing that might disrupt the basic functionality.

General announcement:-
I have included a build for Wheezy in the first post.
It's no about providers because I use it with my oun PBX software.
My favourite distro is Saluki but I couldn't compile a softphone with TLS/SSRTP for it.
Any hy help is apreciated.
Thanks.

OscarTalks

#12 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello laurentius77

Don't know if you are still interested in this. Sorry it has taken a while.

I have compiled a new build of Linphone 3.5.2 in Wary 5.5 with SRTP and ZRTP encryption packages also compiled and added. I have got the account assistant wizard working as well.

Both SRTP and ZRTP (along with SIP-TLS) now show as options which you can select in the Preferences GUI, but I have never used these features. Perhaps you (or anyone else) would care to test them and tell me if they actually work.

I have amended the DOWNLOAD LINK IN THE FIRST POST (The Wary5 one)

This Wary5 Linphone runs in Saluki, but Saluki does not have ffmpeg. You need to install version 0.8.12-1 and you also need libvpx version 1.1.0

These can be installed via PPM if you update the Wary5 repo or download them directly from the official repo here:-

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... -1-w5c.pet

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... .0-w5c.pet
Oscar in England

OscarTalks

#13 Post by OscarTalks »

I have compiled a new build of Linphone 3.5.2 for Slackware 14.0 Slackos.

DOWNLOAD LINK IN FIRST POST AMENDED

This one has all video codecs included, SRTP and ZRTP encryption and the account wizard is working.

The new Linphone (3.6.1) is worth looking at first now, but it uses a different system for the video and I am finding this does not work on all hardware which is why I am not abandoning 3.5.2 yet. If video is important to you and 3.6.1 does not work, Slacko 14.0 users may wish to try this one.

In order to get round the problem of this one not compiling against the newer ffmpeg I compiled ffmpeg 0.8.14 (which is actually quite recent) and set up a build environment with a complete transplant. The .PET package contains the needed ffmpeg libs in a private location so they can coexist peacefully with the native ones. This means the package is larger but it is fully functional with all codecs and nothing gets broken or displaced.
Oscar in England

mister_electronico

missing symbolic link

#14 Post by mister_electronico »

In Slacko puppy 5.6 missing symbolic link easy to fix libnotify.so.1

open Terminal:

ln -s /usr/lib/libnotify.so.4 /usr/lib/libnotify.so.1

I have problem with the video showing black screan.

The webcam works seamlessly with the default program Pavrecord of puppy.

In Pavercord work with video4linux device: /dev/video0 320x240

And Linphone with V4L2 320x240 /dev/video0

I don't know if V4L2 is similar to video4linux .

Someone know where I can fit this.

Greetings