How to disable internal dialup modem? [SOLVED]

Sky Aisling

How to disable internal dialup modem?

#31 Post by Sky Aisling »

Dewbie writes:
If the testing is too much hassle, just stick with 4.3.1.
After all, you know it works. :D

Sky writes:
That's exactly what I'm going to do.
I'll do a frugal install and add Shinobar's Seamonkey update .sfs. :D
OK folks, I did set up 431 as a frugal install and upgraded SeaMonkey.

On the first try at Pupdial on the new setup, Pupdial connected with no issues.
But, then on the subsequence reboots and power ups, Pupdial failed with same error, modem not found on the tty port - "invalid argument".

It appears that WvDial.conf file works on the first time it is initialized by a system.
Then it appears that something gets over written and the original settings disappear.

If I load a Live CD with no save file then the Pupdial works.
If I create a save file then the next time I boot the OS and initiate Pupdial, Pupdial fails.

Unless, someone sees the answer to this, I have to stop working on the issue. I've done all I can to make it work.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Dewbie

#32 Post by Dewbie »

Sky Aisling wrote:
On the first try at Pupdial on the new setup, Pupdial connected with no issues.
But, then on the subsequence reboots and power ups, Pupdial failed with same error, modem not found on the tty port - "invalid argument".
When running from save file, can you get things working again by reprobing for modem in Menu / Network / Pupdial modem dialup?

I had to do this every time when booting from CD to save file with Wary 5.1.1-k2.6.30.5., using an external USRobotics serial modem.
(Note: Menu location is different in Wary, but that's beside the point.)

It was a real pain in the ass, but I just dealt with it.

Sky Aisling

#33 Post by Sky Aisling »

Haven't tried that.
Will have a go at it tomorrow.
Thank you ...

Edit: The next morning;
When running from save file, can you get things working again by reprobing for modem in Menu / Network / Pupdial modem dialup?

Hi Dewbie,
There isn't anything called *Pupdial modem dialup* in Menu/Network/ in the Puppy-520 menu.

There is:
Firewallstate ...
Gpp&p pptp vpn client
Linux-firewall ...
MTR traceroute
Pcurl Ftp ...
Pnethood Samba ...
Pure FTP
Super Scan network Scanner

Karl Godt

#34 Post by Karl Godt »

forget about pupdial !

install pgprs-connect and pgprs-setup typing

Code: Select all

pgprs-shell
This installs /usr/bin/pgprs-setup to setup the modem and then run pgprs-connect . Both appear also in the Network menu .

Checkout that the driver always loads . Replug the modem to trigger it again .
"invalid argument" might be same as "unrecognized option /dev/tty*" in pgprs-connect when the driver is not loaded .

Dewbie

#35 Post by Dewbie »

Sky Aisling wrote:
There isn't anything called *Pupdial modem dialup* in Menu/Network/ in the Puppy-520 menu.
I thought we were dealing with 4.3.1. :?

Sky Aisling

#36 Post by Sky Aisling »

Sorry Dewbie, my lack of attention. :oops:

I've tried so many combinations of OSes and how they are booted that I forgot we were talking about 4.3.1. in the previous post.

I cleaned off the 4.3.1. frugal install test and went back to his Puppy-520 via Live CD because I have 520 all tricked out for him.
My energy to customize another OS waned at about midnight last night.

I was going to give up and take the machine back today.
But, Karl is making one more suggestion that I want to try then I must stop.

Karl, is your suggestion
Code:
pgprs-shell
applicable to Puppy-520?

Karl Godt

#37 Post by Karl Godt »

Puppy 520 is very special because I do not have it . After the puppy-511 and dpup-iguleder i stopped to test Puppy. Puppy boots and that is "so awfully normal" that it bored me off :P:

pgprs-setup is stock standard puppy inventory for the connect icon on the desktop, so should have it, except someone (playdays) forgot to implement it, cut down /lib/modules/all-modules where the pgprs.tar.gz is located that pgprs-shell installs or there was a woof problem that day as the iso had been created .

Sky Aisling

#38 Post by Sky Aisling »

Karl writes:
forget about pupdial !

Code:
pgprs-shell

This installs /usr/bin/pgprs-setup to setup the modem and then run pgprs-connect . Both appear also in the Network menu .

Checkout that the driver always loads . Replug the modem to trigger it again .
"invalid argument" might be same as "unrecognized option /dev/tty*" in pgprs-connect when the driver is not loaded .
Here is what I have so far.
Where do I set up the *connect script*?
Doesn't this program need provider's name, userid, userpassword?

BTW - Puppy-520 menu/network doesn't show *pgprs connect*.
I took both *setup* and *connect* from user/share/applications and put shortcut on desktop.
Edit: after I *rebooted* the *pgprs connect* and *pgprs setup* is listed in menu/network.
Attachments
pgprs2.png
(168.42 KiB) Downloaded 961 times

Sky Aisling

#39 Post by Sky Aisling »

Update to Dial-Up Issue on Toshiba Satellite 1415-S115 running Puppy Linux-520

Well, the issue is *solved* in that the local computer repair store gave me a 2000 Dell Latitude PP01L with a smashed hard drive. I peeled the disinigrated HDD out of the machine, shook out the remaining slivers of plastic and loaded up a Live CD with a Puppy 4.3.1 Kernel 2.6.30.5 (i686). I put Shino's Bar's updated version of SeaMonkey 2.10 on a flash drive along with the pup-save file. Puppy 4.3.1 took off running with the dial-up frisbee firmly clenched in it's teeth.

My friend can now enjoy the amazing technology of dial-up in the comfort of his home. :) Thank you one and all.

Sky

PS - The Dell also had an internal modem but Puppy 4.3.1 was able to handle both the internal and external modem conflict with no issue (so far).