Problem with OpenGL on Intel Graphics Adapter

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
kaeza

Problem with OpenGL on Intel Graphics Adapter

#1 Post by kaeza »

Hello.

My problem is the following:

I had been running Puppy 525 on an old Intel Celeron, with a NVidia graphics card (GeForce MX4000 with 64MB of memory; don't know the other details) and OpenGL was working pretty well (fast graphics for most applications),
including CPU hogs like Blender, and the Mupen64 Nintendo 64 emulator. Since the PC was an old one (clocked at 333MHz), these programs obviously became unresponsive sometimes.

I decided to buy a new computer, so I bought the fastest PC my budget would allow: an Intel Dual Core PC, clocked at 3.1GHz (x2), which came with an on-board Intel Graphics Adapter (from what HardInfo tells me, it's Intel Corporation 4 Series Graphics Adapter (rev 03)).

I installed the XOrg_High graphics driver as Puppy recommended, but now OpenGL is running painfully slow!

Intensive-graphics OpenGL applications are impossible to run.

For example, I tried running the `vavoom' program (a Doom source port), and it runs at 2-3 FPS (frames per second).

I also tried running Warcraft 3 (under Wine of course), but it is much worse; it runs LITERALLY at 3-4 FPM (YES! it's frames per MINUTE, i've left it running for a couple of minutes).

Half-Life (also under Wine) with it's OpenGL renderer runs a bit faster, but not as fast as even vavoom.

What perplexes me (is that the word...?) is that Half-Life (also any of it's mods like Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat) run superbly fast using it's "Software" renderer, even playing with 32 players.

Can somebody help me as to what can I do to fix the OpenGL problems?

EDIT:
Is this a ploblem with the Mesa library? My graphics adapter? Puppy?
BTW: I haven't access to a Windows box currently, so I cannot test it there.
[i]"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear."[/i] -- Ambrose Redmoon

puppyluvr

#2 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
After you installed xorghigh, did you change video drivers to "intel" (with no numbers)???
What does "glxgears" in a terminal tell you?
Also, before you answer, go to "hardinfo" (menu/system/hardinfo) and find out what card you have, IE "Intel GMA945" etc.. I configure GL for Compiz running on Intel cards a lot, and anything above "i810" should work, though not like nvidia with self compiled drivers, which I also have a posted tutorial for..

At 2 or 3 fps, I am guessing you never went into xorgwizard and changed drivers...

Also, in Wine, sometimes the soft render is all you can get to run, IDK why...
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

kaeza

#3 Post by kaeza »

Okay... Ran xorgwizard, and tried the 'intel' driver, but my machine hangs as soon as X starts (it doesn't even change the resolution).
Also tried selecting the 'i810' driver, but IDK why it switches back to using the 'vesa' driver.

Here's what glxgears says:

GL_RENDERER = Software Rasterizer
GL_VERSION = 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1
GL_VENDOR = Mesa Project
GL_EXTENSIONS = <too long to add to the message>

Now, here's what hardinfo says (under PCI devices, am I wrong?):

VGA compatible controller - Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
PCI bridge - Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 01)
PCI bridge - Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1) (prog-if 01)
ISA bridge - Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)

Am I missing any information?

EDIT:
BTW: glxgears says ~1600 frames in 5 seconds
[i]"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear."[/i] -- Ambrose Redmoon

Makoto

#4 Post by Makoto »

Actually, it probably IS the graphics adapter - I've read that OpenGL support is very minimal/broken on Intel Graphics setups. I've experienced that on a few Windows systems, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same under Linux (my Puppy system is running on a tower with an onboard Intel Graphics card, and I haven't gotten around to trying to setup full graphics card+OpenGL support on it, yet... :oops: )
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

kaeza

#5 Post by kaeza »

BUMP
Sorry :)

JackWagon

INTEL 945GME on puppy; N10/ICH 7; 82801 hardware

#6 Post by JackWagon »

kaeza,
kaeza wrote:Okay... Ran xorgwizard, and tried the 'intel' driver, but my machine hangs as soon as X starts (it doesn't even change the resolution).
Also tried selecting the 'i810' driver, but IDK why it switches back to using the 'vesa' driver.

Here's what glxgears says:

GL_RENDERER = Software Rasterizer
GL_VERSION = 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1
GL_VENDOR = Mesa Project
GL_EXTENSIONS = <too long to add to the message>

Now, here's what hardinfo says (under PCI devices, am I wrong?):

VGA compatible controller - Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
PCI bridge - Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 01)
PCI bridge - Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1) (prog-if 01)
ISA bridge - Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)

Am I missing any information?

EDIT:
BTW: glxgears says ~1600 frames in 5 seconds
I have the same hardware and situation. TeamViewer locks up with 'vesa' installed. I recently stumbled into this-http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 04&t=57816 -- I'm not sure this even applies to this hardware but xf86-video-intel...is the driver I believe. Just not sure what to do after installing the pet. I tried everything I could think of; with my knowledge that didn't take long. 0.o
Anyway, to make a long story short, I found that Lubuntu 12.04 has figured it out. I wonder if there could be a firmware/driver to be had from them. I miss my puppy. :cry:

JW