How to get Icons (Launchers) to the desktop

Booting, installing, newbie
woodworm

How to get Icons (Launchers) to the desktop

#1 Post by woodworm »

I m a Linux newbie, with too many years of Windows experience.

For the last few weeks I have been running Mint 17.1 with the help of the Official User Guide and members of the Mint Forum. The Mint Guide is now becoming seriously outdated and an update would do wonders to advance the Mint cause. I have given up on Mint for the present as I can not get the Print function to perform consistantly.

At present I am trying tahr Puppy 6.0.2 PAE but it is not easy. Most of the experience gained on Mint is not relevant in Puppy.

Printing is a problem again. I have an HP 1020 Laser printer. It is recognised by the system but it just does not print.

I will be persevering for a while but not being able to put program icons on the desktop is a real PITA. If I can find a solution to this it will reduce my level of frustration considerably.

I am not even sure that this mail is being sent to the right place for tahr Puppy 6.0.2 PAE experts. If I am wrong will someone please pass the message on and let me know here.

TIA,
woodworm

Moat

#2 Post by Moat »

Hi woodworm -

Try this... navigate to the /usr/share/applications directory, and just click-drag the desired app's .desktop file to the desktop. To remove, right-click the desktop icon and choose "remove item".

Bob

Galbi

#3 Post by Galbi »

Hi woodworm, I also have an HP1020, so good and bad news.

Good one: I can confirm that the HP1020 works fine in Puppy.

Bad one: I did it long ago and I can´t tell you a detailed step by step instructions, sorry.

If I recall right, it involved to compile the driver from this page http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com that is, the steps shown under Download and Install in that page.

For that, you'll need the devx package that matches your Puppy flavor.

Hope that helps.

Saludos.
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

pp4mnklinux

As Moat SAID.,.....

#4 Post by pp4mnklinux »

... navigate to the /usr/share/applications directory, and just click-drag the desired app's .desktop file to the desktop. To remove, right-click the desktop icon and choose "remove item.

TAKE A LOOK AT THE IMAGE AT http://www.mediafire.com/view/mk0e5dcmz ... 20626.jpeg

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

Printing is a problem again. I have an HP 1020 Laser printer. It is recognised by the system but it just does not print.
Details.
What have you tried to do to set it up in Cups?

How to Install Your Printer/Scanner in Puppy
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59015
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)