Fatdog64-600 Final and 601 (July 2012)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
smokey01

#61 Post by smokey01 »

jamesbond wrote:
kirk wrote: NLP Solver: /opt/libreoffice3.5/share/extensions/nlpsolver
Wiki Publisher: /opt/libreoffice3.5/share/extensions/wiki-publisher
This allowed Libreoffice to run but with non English characters in the menus. It seems to work ok in the document though with Australian English.

See attached
Attachments
language.jpg
(23.21 KiB) Downloaded 1562 times

kirk

#62 Post by kirk »

It appears there are deps missing.

# libreoffice3.5 --writer
/opt/libreoffice3.5/program/../ure-link/bin/javaldx: /usr/lib64/libxml2.so.2: no version information available (required by /opt/libreoffice3.5/ure/bin/../lib/libjvmfwk.so.3)
#
It doesn't look like your using the libreoffice-3.5.3.2.sfs from the 600 repo. Is this the one for 500 or something different? Sorry if you've already said and I missed it.

What's the simplest way to remove the desktop drive icons

Just right click and then Remove items.
Or you can also go to Control Panel - Desktop - Event Manager, and un-tick "Display drive icons". Drive icons will be gone at next boot.
Sorry mis-read that. Thought you where asking about the desktop icons.

smokey01

#63 Post by smokey01 »

kirk wrote:
It appears there are deps missing.

# libreoffice3.5 --writer
/opt/libreoffice3.5/program/../ure-link/bin/javaldx: /usr/lib64/libxml2.so.2: no version information available (required by /opt/libreoffice3.5/ure/bin/../lib/libjvmfwk.so.3)
#
It doesn't look like your using the libreoffice-3.5.3.2.sfs from the 600 repo. Is this the one for 500 or something different? Sorry if you've already said and I missed it.
I installed the get_libreoffice package from the repo then ran it. It downloaded libreoffice and created the SFS which I loaded and this is the result. It's version 3.5.4.2

Ruff-Boy

#64 Post by Ruff-Boy »

Been doing a little bit of promotion for the Fatdog.
You might see a few more downloads in the next few days if all goes according to plan.

I was thinking I might write a little tutorial for people trying to make a USB install. It is obvious that the devs think this is trivial and how they explain it should be straightforward to anybody.

It took me four or five hours to do. I program a bit of Java, Perl, PHP.
It was cryptic to say the least. I could figure it out, but it took a long time and most casual users would not be able to do it. And even if they could they would not have the time.

Please feel free to call me thick or dull. I am not the sharpest tool in the box, that is for sure. But without a consensus of at least a couple of hundred people to compare notes, I think it's fair to say, this was harder than it needed to be. I am willing to interface and write a tutorial for less technically inclined souls. I am talking about not just getting the usb stick to boot but the ram options also. Yes, they were well explained, but not everybody is as technical as me, or has the time.

Anyway, please tell me where I should put this tutorial or who I should send it to, when it is done.

rcrsn51

#65 Post by rcrsn51 »

In the Control Panel > Utilities, there is an applet called Savefile Argument Builder. Here is the basic idea.

When you first run FD600, you create a save file. But either it's in the wrong place for your USB install or it's in the right place, but your bootloader argument is wrong.

Boot off the USB device and put the save file in the right place.

Run the Savefile Argument Builder and follow the instructions. It will generate the correct argument that you can then paste into your bootloader config file.

Billtoo

#66 Post by Billtoo »

Ruff-Boy wrote: It took me four or five hours to do. I program a bit of Java, Perl, PHP.
It was cryptic to say the least. I could figure it out, but it took a long time and most casual users would not be able to do it. And even if they could they would not have the time.
Okay, I'll stick my neck out :)

1.Download and burn the fatdog iso to a dvd.
2.Boot the dvd.
3.Run the Control Panel and do all
setup,Localisation,Desktop,Sound,Network,etc.
4.Run Fatdog64 installer (under Utilities in Fatdog64 Control
Panel),page1:highlight usb drive,check Use small initrd box,check EXT4
page2:check install boot loader on MBR
page3:check install from CD/DVD
page4:review all info on the page and if good click install.
(Be especially carefull that the boot loader is installed to the
flash drive MBR and not the MBR on the hard drive.)
5.After the Fatdog64 installer is finished exit the Control Panel and
select reboot from the menu.
When prompted select yes to create your save file,set your
password,savefile size etc, make sure the savefile is saved to the
flash drive.
6.When the computer is rebooting select the boot device (pressing the
F12 key does it on my computer)
7.At the boot: prompt enter:
fatdog waitdev=8 savefile=direct:local

If there is a fatdog savefile from a previous install on the hard
drive it will prompt you to select the savefile.

This works for me, it may not be the best or only way.

gcmartin

#67 Post by gcmartin »

@Kirk
Thanks for some splendid work by you and your team.

One issue that for weeks I have reported to you is the mount command. I have NOT use any distro from anywhere in the past 10 years where I had to manually modify (move a file) in order for the mount command to work for cross-LAN resource.

Should you consider a update to the GA version of 600, you "may" consider an update to the system to correct this.

And, THANKS @ Jamesbond for pointing our how to fix the system to re-establish mount command processing for this.

But, lots of new stuff here to digest. Like other FATDOGs (64 bit), the system speed is wonderful and smooth, thusfar.

Hope this helps

ICPUG

#68 Post by ICPUG »

I think I am going to look at this. My main interest is to see if it is OK to recommend to users who must have non-root capability and cannot be persuaded otherwise. Personally I don't need that.

Is the FAQ within the iso or is it only on the servers? If the latter is there a possibility of getting a package with all the pages so it can be viewed offline?

Gobbi

#69 Post by Gobbi »

Finished to customize Fatdog 600 .
Works nice and fast and now has everything I need on it without using 'wine ' :D

Wpagui still doesn't work on my machine but it works on another one from a friend of mine, that I tested it . I'm glad Network Wizard does the job for mine :) ...
The slideshow of backgrounds works ( 5 min interval ) , installed AMD Catalyst that allow to change the resolution ( the Display Manager from Control Panel still doesn't open ) .
It came out a 286 M version with AMD Catalyst driver , and I made also a version with Virtual Box : 357 M . But now I have to check for the extensions for USB so ...
Well thought to offer an alternative where someone could have a problem : it came out an everyday OS one can rely on :!:
Attachments
VB in fatdog.jpg
Virtual Box running
(155.21 KiB) Downloaded 480 times

divisionmd

#70 Post by divisionmd »

- Great work with this release Krik and Jamesbond!

- Have anyone tested and gotten psubdir to work with syslinux? and the version on fatdog?

cant seem to get my puppy to load the save file from the correct location.

attaching image of this.

Thanks for help,

Best regards,
Johan
Attachments
to-forum.jpg
(123.32 KiB) Downloaded 463 times

rcrsn51

#71 Post by rcrsn51 »

divisionmd wrote:- Have anyone tested and gotten psubdir to work with syslinux? and the version on fatdog?
Psubdir is not a valid option in Fatdog. You need to read the FAQ about boot arguments.

Also, read back in this thread about the Savefile Argument Builder applet.

rcrsn51

#72 Post by rcrsn51 »

You may find that the Samba share mounting app (the Shares icon on the desktop) fails with some of your shares.

There is a version of YASSM located in the Control Panel, but you may prefer the latest v2.4 attached below. It contains the new samba-search tool. Look for it in the Network menu.

This package needs more testing. Please provide feedback.
Attachments
YASSM_fd600-2.4.6.pet
Updated 2012-07-18
(8.8 KiB) Downloaded 487 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Wed 18 Jul 2012, 11:02, edited 6 times in total.

nooby

#73 Post by nooby »

No criticism but most regular Puppy user are very familiar with
the usual way one do a manual frugal install so the requirement
of having a different way to set up the save file comes as a big surprise.

"- Have anyone tested and gotten psubdir to work with syslinux? "

So maybe that need to be stressed even more obviously at the place
where one first read about FD?

Ooops look below for a correct answer from rcrsn51 .

So typical of me to not see such things. So sorry
but happy your took time to point it out.
Last edited by nooby on Wed 11 Jul 2012, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

rcrsn51

#74 Post by rcrsn51 »

nooby wrote:No criticism but most regular Puppy user are very familiar with the usual way one do a manual frugal install so the requirement of having a different way to set up the save file comes as a big surprise. So maybe that need to be stressed even more obviously at the place where one first read about FD?
Like in the release notes on the first page of this thread?
[Release Notes]
Fatdog64 600 is the next generation Fatdog, the first major release after 500 series (500, 510, 511, 520, 521) and brings about many changes, hopefully for the better.
For those who have not followed the alpha2/beta1/beta2/rc releases; this release brings major changes to Fatdog. Please read the FAQ here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... s/faq.html especially the boot options which has changed significantly from 521 and other puppies: http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... tions.html

mini-jaguar

#75 Post by mini-jaguar »

question: is it normal that the package manager doesn't show all the installed packages? I don't have a problem with anything I installed and don't need to uninstall anything, but it just seems strange to me. It was the same in the alpha and beta versions too, but I didn't ask.

Also, is there an easy way to make a bootable USB stick with FatDog64 600 on it?

rcrsn51

#76 Post by rcrsn51 »

mini-jaguar wrote:Also, is there an easy way to make a bootable USB stick with FatDog64 600 on it?
Note: These instructions also apply to installing FD600 on a hard drive partition.

1. Boot off the Live CD.

2. Plug in the flash drive.

3. From the Control Panel > Utilities, run the Fatdog64 Installer. Skip Step 2. At Step 3, install from the CD/DVD.

4. Run Control Panel > Utilities > Grub4Dos Bootloader Config. This will make the stick bootable. Make sure that you select the stick as the target device and NOT your main hard drive.

5. If you look at the new menu.lst file, you will see that Grub4Dos still uses the old Puppy boot codes that don't apply to FD. But that's OK for now.

6. Start to reboot. FD will create a savefile. Make sure that you select the flash drive as the destination.

7. Boot off the flash drive. Even though the boot codes are wrong, FD should still find your save file.

8. You will probably want to clean up the old boot codes. Or if you have put your savefile in a subfolder, you will definitely need to fix the codes.

a. Run Control Panel > Utilities > Savefile Argument Builder. (It's hiding on the bottom row.)
b. Follow the instructions to update your menu.lst.

9. While you have your menu.lst open, make a duplicate of your Fatdog entry. You can use it to resize or clean up your savefile.

a. Change the "title" line to "Fatdog600 Safe Mode".
b. Change the savefile argument to "savefile=none".
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 12 Jul 2012, 20:08, edited 7 times in total.

Jim1911

#77 Post by Jim1911 »

mini-jaguar wrote:question: is it normal that the package manager doesn't show all the installed packages? I don't have a problem with anything I installed and don't need to uninstall anything, but it just seems strange to me. It was the same in the alpha and beta versions too, but I didn't ask.

Also, is there an easy way to make a bootable USB stick with FatDog64 600 on it?
If you have highlighted "Install Packages", it shows available packages and the version that you have installed. When "Installed Packages" is highlighted, all packages installed are shown.
Attachments
image-3.jpg
(33.16 KiB) Downloaded 956 times
image-4.jpg
(32.86 KiB) Downloaded 984 times

nooby

#78 Post by nooby »

The forum doesn't seem to send out all the posts so I missed the answer to
RuffBoy about the USB thing so just in case here is link
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 548#639548
rcrsn51 gave answer here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 786#639786

Much appreciated
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

jamesbond

#79 Post by jamesbond »

Kirk is out of town and I'm currently busy too, so replies will be slow and far between ... please be patient :)
rcrsn51, thanks for holding the fort :)
smokey01 wrote:I installed the get_libreoffice package from the repo then ran it. It downloaded libreoffice and created the SFS which I loaded and this is the result. It's version 3.5.4.2
Hmmm, have you tried the libreoffice available in the SFSmanager? Does it have the same problem? Just want to establish whether the script is the problem or something else.
ICPUG wrote:s the FAQ within the iso or is it only on the servers? If the latter is there a possibility of getting a package with all the pages so it can be viewed offline?
It is in the Fatdog ISO as well. What you see in the web is a copy of /usr/share/doc/faqs
Jim1911 wrote:If you have highlighted "Install Packages", it shows available packages and the version that you have installed. When "Installed Packages" is highlighted, all packages installed are shown.
Yes, that's the way. I was probably dreaming when I was coding the package manager. I will change the name of first tab as "Available Packages" :oops: so that it is cleary different from "Installed Packages".
Jim1911 wrote:Attempting to resize my save file and I get this message. The savefile is working fine.
Sorry for the late reply. That's odd indeed, I'm assuming you actually have an ext4 savefile and created it normally during first shutdown. Do you still have that troublesome savefile? Do you mind opening terminal (when booting with pfix=ram) and do the following:

Code: Select all

guess_fstype /path/to/savefile
and also

Code: Select all

disktype /path/to/savefile
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

irishrm

How to re-size save-file in fatdog 600

#80 Post by irishrm »

I know nooby asked this earlier but I can't find a reply.

Sorry if I missed it.

Otherwise everything going great.

irishrm.